The Little Mermaid (Live-Action)

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
DisneyFan09
Platinum Edition

Re: The Little Mermaid (Live-Action)

Post by DisneyFan09 »

What????? :o

I'm fearing to be labeled as a racist, but I simply find the choice of black casting for the leads to be unnecessary and superfluous. There's nothing wrong by actually having a black lead for a Disney Princess, but it would've made more sense in a different concept, something like a Broadway stageplay, not a feature picture (or if this was a live action version of The Princess and the Frog, which actually calls for it :P). As already mentioned, Ariel is automatically labeled for her red hair, which makes her distinctive and unique. Why even having the issue?
Will Barks
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Will Barks »

I for my part find this a great idea. Getting a new perspective to the classics is in my opinion more interesting than just reproducing what we already have. Who cares about skin color? If the screenplay and acting is good and we get some new Alan Menken tunes, I'm in! :milkbuds:
Disney's Divinity
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Post by Disney's Divinity »

DisneyFan09 wrote: I'm fearing to be labeled as a racist, but I simply find the choice of black casting for the leads to be unnecessary and superfluous. There's nothing wrong by actually having a black lead for a Disney Princess, but it would've made more sense in a different concept, something like a Broadway stageplay, not a feature picture (or if this was a live action version of The Princess and the Frog, which actually calls for it :P). As already mentioned, Ariel is automatically labeled for her red hair, which makes her distinctive and unique. Why even having the issue?
You're not racist.

I personally wouldn't care if the rest of the cast are people of color, but I don't think it fits the Disney adaptation's version of the story for Ariel and Triton to be anything but white. Not that white people are the only people in the world with prejudice, but the story works better for Triton to be coded as a patriarchal power that's phobic against people not "like" him. But, like I said, a different race for Ursula or Eric might actually improve the film's plot/themes. Ursula is the primal female figure rising up against Triton's patriarchal order, so throwing another reason for her pariah status on top would only provide more explanation for her rage against Triton. Eric is the outsider that Triton despises; making him even more different from Ariel and Triton would only accentuate Triton's hatred and bigotry.
Listening to most often lately:
Ariana Grande ~ "we can't be friends (wait for your love)"
Ariana Grande ~ "imperfect for you"
Kacey Musgraves ~ "The Architect"
D82
Signature Collection

Post by D82 »

Will Barks wrote:I for my part find this a great idea. Getting a new perspective to the classics is in my opinion more interesting than just reproducing what we already have.
I agree with you, though I can also understand the people who are not happy with this change.
Sotiris wrote:I wonder what's causing them to consider this for The Little Mermaid. Could it be the influence of LMM who's an executive producer on the movie?
It's not just this film. Disney is casting people of color in major roles in many of their movies lately. A Wrinkle in Time, The Nutcracker and the Four Realms, Mary Poppins Returns (Lin-Manuel Miranda), Aladdin (live-action), The Lion King (live-action), Maleficent 2, Mulan, etc. all have non-white actors in main roles. They're also (timidly) introducing some LGTB characters in their films and TV-series. They're trying to lead the change in Hollywood in this regard and I think that's great, though the reasons behind that may not be completely altruistic. I think Bob Iger is doing that because he thinks it will help his political aspirations. The only things I'm worried about are that in some cases these casting decisions may not be accurate with history and the time period of the films (in the cases of fantasy kingdoms that may not matter) and that maybe Disney is forcing it a bit too much and there could be some backlash, as I think could happen in The Little Mermaid case if this rumor turns out to be true.
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

[sarcasm]Yeah, sure, when they made The Little Mermaid they intended Triton to be white to be like a racist patriarchal republican who hates other races, metaphorically.[/sarcasm]

They will still give Ariel red hair even if she's not white, you know.

But I still want everyone to be their original races.
JeanGreyForever
Signature Collection

Post by JeanGreyForever »

I don't really know how I feel about this since I can't imagine Ariel any other way than how she was depicted in the animated film. I agree that the red hair is the most important aspect of her so I can see Zendaya playing her since she's also playing another prominent redhead (MJ in Spider-Man). I'm sure this will get flack though so I wouldn't be surprised if Disney is testing the waters.
ImageImage
We’re a dyad in the Force. Two that are one.
"I offered you my hand once. You wanted to take it." - Kylo Ren
"I did want to take your hand. Ben's hand." - Rey
Disney's Divinity

If Zendaya gets the role, I'll instantly lose all interest in this.
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

Disney's Divinity wrote:Ursula is the primal female figure rising up against Triton's patriarchal order, so throwing another reason for her pariah status on top would only provide more explanation for her rage against Triton.
But making the villain Black while the hero White would have unfortunate racial implications, even if it's unintentional. What you suggest could only work if they made Ursula into an anti-hero instead of a villain.
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
Farerb
Diamond Edition

Post by Farerb »

Sotiris wrote:
Disney's Divinity wrote:Ursula is the primal female figure rising up against Triton's patriarchal order, so throwing another reason for her pariah status on top would only provide more explanation for her rage against Triton.
But making the villain Black while the hero White would have unfortunate racial implications, even if it's unintentional. What you suggest could only work if they made Ursula into an anti-hero instead of a villain.
Agreed, especially if she is defeated by the end.
Disney's Divinity

Sotiris wrote: But making the villain Black while the hero White would have unfortunate racial implications, even if it's unintentional. What you suggest could only work if they made Ursula into an anti-hero instead of a villain.
That’s true. And they may even go that direction considering what they've been doing with Scar in the live-action The Lion King film (not to mention LeFou in B&tB and Maleficent). For what its worth, Triton was portrayed as villainous in TLM and he's given a redemptive character arc for that reason. But the animated film’s always had unfortunate gender implications with the way Ursula dies as it is... If Eric and his kingdom by-the-sea were more diverse, maybe it would undercut at least some of the negative implications. (That's if they don't change the ending for Ariel to have a bigger role in Ursula's defeat.)

Whatever they decide to do with the film, I just hope they find a good actress for Ariel. Keke may not be that bad; I think I just have bad impressions of her personality from her appearances on talk shows. She was hilarious on Scream Queens. The sad part is I'd take Ariana over Zendaya, and Ariana would be really bad. I'd rather they pick someone unknown who's perfect for the role, like with the live-action Aladdin. This reminds me of that moment when the live-action B&tB was at the beginning of casting and for a brief moment in time Disney was considering Kristen Stewart for Belle......
disneyprincess11
Diamond Edition

Post by disneyprincess11 »

I have no problem with black/hispanic leads. As long as they keep Ariel's red hair, I'm good. My only concern is the filming is now at Puerto Rico and Africa. Even though it'd be a unique change, I would hate for them to change the location. Denmark is just fine.
JeanGreyForever
Signature Collection

Post by JeanGreyForever »

Except the original was never set in Denmark either. It clearly looks Mediterranean with the palm trees, beaches, grape vines, not to mention Eric's castle and Eric's own sun-kissed looks. The commentary for the film by Musker and Clements confirms that Eric's kingdom is in the Mediterranean and this actually is accurate to the original story which clearly identifies that the setting is not Denmark but a Mediterranean country like Greece or even Ottoman Turkey.
ImageImage
We’re a dyad in the Force. Two that are one.
"I offered you my hand once. You wanted to take it." - Kylo Ren
"I did want to take your hand. Ben's hand." - Rey
DisneyFan09
Platinum Edition

Post by DisneyFan09 »

Disney's Divinity wrote:You're not racist.
Thanks (*sighing with relief* :D)
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

Oh, I didn't know the original story was set in a Mediterranean location. I thought that was just the Disney film.
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

Oh, Alan. LMM is rapping in Mary Poppins Returns. He'll find a way to screw up The Little Mermaid too. :P
Q: What’s it like to work with Lin-Manuel Miranda? Is Little Mermaid going to have hip-hop?

Alan Menken: I would doubt it. Lin is much more than hip-hop: He’s an all-around musical theater person. He’s a phenomenal, smart guy. You know, a lot of this generation of songwriters I knew as kids. I knew about Lin years ago, as well as writers like Bobby Lopez, and Pasek and Paul, I knew about them when they were still in college. They’re all kind of my boys.
Source: http://www.philly.com/philly/entertainm ... 80614.html
taei
Special Edition

Post by taei »

Sotiris wrote:Oh, Alan. LMM is rapping in Mary Poppins Returns. He'll find a way to screw up The Little Mermaid too. :P
Q: What’s it like to work with Lin-Manuel Miranda? Is Little Mermaid going to have hip-hop?

Alan Menken: I would doubt it. Lin is much more than hip-hop: He’s an all-around musical theater person. He’s a phenomenal, smart guy. You know, a lot of this generation of songwriters I knew as kids. I knew about Lin years ago, as well as writers like Bobby Lopez, and Pasek and Paul, I knew about them when they were still in college. They’re all kind of my boys.
Source: http://www.philly.com/philly/entertainm ... 80614.html
Maybe he should hire them to replace LMM? If there's one outcome I desperately want from Mary Poppins, it is for Disney to sever ties with LMM...
"In every age, Family is king,
and the bravest journeys, are never taken alone."
-Brave.
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

taei wrote:Maybe he should hire them to replace LMM?
It's not up to him. I also prefer them to LMM and find them much more suitable for a project like Mermaid than him.
taei wrote:If there's one outcome I desperately want from Mary Poppins, it is for Disney to sever ties with LMM...
You and me both but it's never going to happen.
Jay
Anniversary Edition

Post by Jay »

Zendaya would be terrible I truly hope she isn't cast. I could tolerate Ariana but I would definitely not be as excited. Keke would be the best choice but honestly I would rather them cast an unknown in the film. TLM is popular enough that they don't need a "big name" for Ariel. They could honestly get away with casting an up and coming actress who is talented at singing and acting. And if they cast big names for roles like Ursula, Triton, Sebastian ect. the film should be fine.

What I am most worried about is singing, since Ariel's singing is such a big part of the story. She is meant to have a beautiful/memorable voice that Eric can't get out of his head. If they case someone who can't sing (Emma Watson) and auto tune them to hell it would be so lame. I have been listening to a lot of the foreign dubs of the songs of the film and there are some very nice/unique voices that Ariel has from around the world. The Turkish and Icelandic voices, in particular are very good and memorable and perfect for a mermaid imo. I really hope they cast someone who can sing and act.
Disney's Divinity

I agree with you completely, Jay. I'd much rather they cast a talented unknown (although I still wonder how they'd re-create Ariel's red hair if she isn't played by someone white...). The girl for Ariel needs to sing at least moderately well considering her beautiful voice is actually a part of the plot.
Jay
Anniversary Edition

Post by Jay »

Disney's Divinity wrote:I agree with you completely, Jay. I'd much rather they cast a talented unknown (although I still wonder how they'd re-create Ariel's red hair if she isn't played by someone white...). The girl for Ariel needs to sing at least moderately well considering her beautiful voice is actually a part of the plot.
Especially since all the other live action princesses have kept the original hair color. Belle was a brunette, Aurora and Cinderella were blondes(and I believe Lily James is a natural brunette?) Naomi Scott has black hair, like Jasmine. It would be weird for Ariel not to be a red head. Especially since it's such an iconic part of her character. But even if they cast someone of color they can possibly make it work since mermaids aren't human. But I can't see it being the bright red that she has in the animated film.