Christopher Robin (Live-Action)

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
JeanGreyForever
Signature Collection

Re: Christopher Robin (Live-Action)

Post by JeanGreyForever »

Hearing Pooh's voice was a magical experience all by itself. The rest of the film still seems very generic though and by the book (just not Winnie the Pooh's book unfortunately). I also don't care too much for CGI stuffed Pooh. It'll probably grow on me though and at least it actually resembles Christopher Robin's original stuffed bear.
ImageImage
We’re a dyad in the Force. Two that are one.
"I offered you my hand once. You wanted to take it." - Kylo Ren
"I did want to take your hand. Ben's hand." - Rey
PatrickvD
Signature Collection

Post by PatrickvD »

Oh wow this looks bad. If Pooh looks worn out like that throughout the whole film then this is a pass for me. There is zero expression on him...

I’m shocked at how bad this looks.
Sotiris
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Post by Sotiris »

Disney's Divinity wrote:The tag line on the teaser poster had an unintended effect of making me feel like this could've just as easily have been a horror film though, lol.
I was thinking the same thing! :lol:
PatrickvD wrote:Oh wow this looks bad. If Pooh looks worn out like that throughout the whole film then this is a pass for me. There is zero expression on him.
Agreed. The teaser trailer was decent until they showed Winnie. It was painful to look at that. The stuffed animal barely moved its mouth, there was no discerning expression, the performance was stiff and the whole thing came off a bit unsettling. How come the animation on Ted looked so much better than this?

I was hoping the direction of this movie would be more melancholic and bittersweet like Where the Wild Things Are but instead this looks generic, derivative and superficial.
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
Musical Master
Anniversary Edition

Post by Musical Master »

Wow... In comparison to the Mary Poppins Returns teaser, that was a huge MEH. The only great thing about it was hearing Jim Cummings voice again; but with that said I don't hate the way Pooh looks for they want to be a combination of both the book illustration version and the classic Disney version (Though the mouth animations need a whole lot of work). Hopefully the movie is a lot better than it looks, otherwise this could be a skip it movie for me.
Disney, Pixar, Rodgers and Hammerstein, and Cinema fan
D82
Signature Collection

Post by D82 »

The movie doesn't look as bad as I feared, but a bit generic as some have said. I've seen some people on the Internet are comparing it to Hook. Anyway, the teaser only showed footage from the beginning, we haven't seen anything from the Hundred Acre Wood yet, where most of the movie takes place according to that last report. So, I think we need to see more to judge it.

Regarding Winnie the Pooh's design, I understand it's a combination of the original stuffed bear, the book illustration version and the Disney version, but he could've looked better. Also, though I suppose it's the size it should be, he looks tiny next to adult Christopher Robin. At least, he retains his red T-shirt, and of course, I'm glad Jim Cummings is voicing him.

Here's a short interview with Marc Forster, the film's director: https://ohmy.disney.com/news/2018/03/06 ... interview/
JeanGreyForever
Signature Collection

Post by JeanGreyForever »

D82 wrote:The movie doesn't look as bad as I feared, but a bit generic as some have said. I've seen some people on the Internet are comparing it to Hook. Anyway, the teaser only showed footage from the beginning, we haven't seen anything from the Hundred Acre Wood yet, where most of the movie takes place according to that last report. So, I think we need to see more to judge it.

Regarding Winnie the Pooh's design, I understand it's a combination of the original stuffed bear, the book illustration version and the Disney version, but he could've looked better. Also, though I suppose it's the size it should be, he looks tiny next to adult Christopher Robin. At least, he retains his red T-shirt, and of course, I'm glad Jim Cummings is voicing him.

Here's a short interview with Marc Forster, the film's director: https://ohmy.disney.com/news/2018/03/06 ... interview/
I hated Hook from how it destroyed the Peter Pan mythos, a story very dear to my heart. Winnie the Pooh is also and I dread any comparisons between these two films. Hopefully it'll be as forgotten as Goodbye Christopher Robin at the end of the year.
ImageImage
We’re a dyad in the Force. Two that are one.
"I offered you my hand once. You wanted to take it." - Kylo Ren
"I did want to take your hand. Ben's hand." - Rey
blackcauldron85

Post by blackcauldron85 »

I loved this. While I need to re-watch it (I wasn't focused on his mouth movements...I was just having a happy/pure, excited momement hearing/seeing Pooh, they could very well tweak the mouth movements/animation; there still is plenty of time before it releases).

I like the premise of Christopher Robin being able to get some perspective on his adult life from his childhood friends/toys. I wish my childhood toys would come alive and help me with adulting.

I think this looks like it'll be fun, and very meaningful and will "bring the feels" for those of us who are adults, both for those of us that still embrace aspects of our youth (like a lot of Disney fans), and for those who have left that behind.
DisneyFan09
Platinum Edition

Post by DisneyFan09 »

Well, the teaser was mellow and endearing enough, but as with the majority, I disliked Pooh's design. It was so awfully generic.
Disney's Divinity

Post by Disney's Divinity »

Sotiris wrote:
Disney's Divinity wrote:The tag line on the teaser poster had an unintended effect of making me feel like this could've just as easily have been a horror film though, lol.
I was thinking the same thing! :lol:
I finally got around to watching the teaser, and I have to say that it gave me a horror vibe just like the tag line, except with the Pooh reveal. Just change the background music to something suspenseful and you’d think he’s about to maul CR’s face.

The moving stuffed animals are going to be a little disturbing going by what's shown here. I didn't think the teaser was as bad as it was made out to be here though. Shouldn't Mycroft be too busy with the British elections to be a jerk to Christopher Robin?
Listening to most often lately:
Ariana Grande ~ "we can't be friends (wait for your love)"
Ariana Grande ~ "imperfect for you"
Kacey Musgraves ~ "The Architect"
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

The teaser has a generic setting up of the story but it was magical when Christopher met Pooh again! Yes, he looked creepy, but so were the objects in Beauty and the Beast. I guess Ted was somehow less creepy though so he could be better after all.

Sotiris, I guess you like melcancholic stuff and think that feeling is good? I really don't know what to think about that.
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

Disney Duster wrote:Sotiris, I guess you like melancholic stuff and think that feeling is good? I really don't know what to think about that.
I was referring to Winnie the Pooh being a property that can be nostalgic and melancholic when targeted to adults. For example, the trailer for the 2011 film tried to achieve that with the use of music and montage.
Disney's Divinity

Don't worry, Sotiris, the average person would understand what you mean without questioning your sanity.

Anyway, I agree. The film should have the same kind of melancholy you see at the end of the WtP stories when Pooh and Christopher Robin say goodbye, or in the Toy Story films when Andy grows up. The loss of childhood innocence is bittersweet, and that's what I imagined this film would touch into. :lol:
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

The definition of melancholic is gloomy or depressed or seriously thoughtful. I've never heard of people considering gloomy an entertainment aspect, but I suppose. Well, no, that word just threw me off because I'd never heard it used like that before. It doesn't just mean gloomy. It's a word that can mean something different than that, and I get why you used it in this thread.

By the way I wasn't questioning anyone's sanity. It would be nice if you weren't a mean person to people, Disney's Divinity.
Disney's Divinity

Disney Duster wrote:It would be nice if you weren't a mean person to people, Disney's Divinity.
People in glass houses shouldn't throw stones. :wave:
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

You think I've ever done anything mean to anyone on here as you have been to me?

Disney's Divinity

Yes. You're no victim.

Anyway, I'm interested in how Owl and Rabbit as real animals (CG) will look next to the stuffed animals in this film. The one good thing about them being different than the others is they may avoid the slightly-creepy vibe Pooh gave me in the teaser.
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

Disney's Divinity wrote:Yes. You're no victim.
Disney's Divinity

ajmrowland
Signature Collection

Post by ajmrowland »

It looks pretty fantastic to me. Yeah, Pooh's design put me off a little at first, but I'm already warming up to it.
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

I'll be very pleased if this turns out to be true.
Disney Film Facts wrote:For those who don’t know, Disney Legend Richard M. Sherman has written 3 original songs for the upcoming film Christopher Robin.
Source: https://twitter.com/disneyfilmfacts/sta ... 2216241152