Cinderella Discussion

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
WillytheDino
Gold Classic Collection

Re: Cinderella Discussion

Post by WillytheDino »

Disney Duster, this made me think of you! No idea how to make it visible as a pic in my post, since it's from Instagram, but it is the dress transformation made on a cinderella doll.. It's gorgeous!
https://www.instagram.com/p/BMsY4DuAtUJ/
'All our dreams can come true, if we have the courage to pursue them.' - Walt Disney
Disney Duster
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Post by Disney Duster »

WillytheDino, that is one of the coolest, most beautiful things for me to see, and you are one of the kindest persons I know, to think of me and show it to me.
WillytheDino
Gold Classic Collection

Post by WillytheDino »

You're welcome.
He is a very cool artist who creates iconic disney scenes with dolls. They are really lovely.
'All our dreams can come true, if we have the courage to pursue them.' - Walt Disney
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

I found this video that I think is a really good look at the film and how it isn't negative in its depiction of a female main character:

Cinderella: Stop Blaming the Victim

I do not completely agree with it. Like I still see the fairy godmother as being another person saving Cinderella, she's just brought on by her faith (so it is Cinderella's faith that saves her but it is still also through another person), and I think Cinderella could have done more to save herself, but I do love what the video says.
thedisneyspirit
Anniversary Edition

Post by thedisneyspirit »

I like what the video says about the original Disney film giving Cinderella depth and a stronger presence that isn't found in the original fairy tale or in other interpretations, where they water down the character to be truly bland and weak.

My favorite Cinderella adaptation is Ever After tho.
Disney's Divinity

Post by Disney's Divinity »

thedisneyspirit wrote:My favorite Cinderella adaptation is Ever After tho.
Mine, too. Although the animated film is close behind.
Listening to most often lately:
Ariana Grande ~ "we can't be friends (wait for your love)"
Ariana Grande ~ "imperfect for you"
Kacey Musgraves ~ "The Architect"
bruno_wbt
Anniversary Edition

Post by bruno_wbt »

Disney Duster wrote:I found this video that I think is a really good look at the film and how it isn't negative in its depiction of a female main character:

Cinderella: Stop Blaming the Victim

I always thought that Cinderella was the bravest princess, (because bravery doesn't mean to fight with weapons...)

I really love that video because I thought I was the only person who really saw Cinderella as a strong and brave character.
Disney's Divinity

Post by Disney's Divinity »

Not really a cover exactly, but Kelly Clarkson sang a little of "So This Is Love" when she was on James Corden's show (Carpool Karaoke) this past week. She was talking about lullabies she sings to her children and that's what she started singing. I was surprised how good she sounded. I mean, she has a phenomenal voice/control/texture, etc., but I was surprised by how well she sounded at a song like that one. I guess I shouldn't have been, she's a bit of a musical chameleon. Too bad she's never participated in one of these various Disneymania/We Love Disney albums that get put out.
Listening to most often lately:
Ariana Grande ~ "we can't be friends (wait for your love)"
Ariana Grande ~ "imperfect for you"
Kacey Musgraves ~ "The Architect"
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

Yay bruno_wbt! So, do you mean she's brave like she holds her own in front of her stepfamily? She even stands up to them about going to the ball? I always thought she was strong.

Ooh, thanks, Disney's Divinity, I checked it out on Youtube! I'm glad she sings it to her son. I don't know why she didn't mention her daughter, or her stepson and stepdaughter. She did sing it really good and it would be a good cover for a CD. When she sang it, it took me back and reminded me why I still love the movie.
Vlad
Collector's Edition

Post by Vlad »

WillytheDino wrote:Disney Duster, this made me think of you! No idea how to make it visible as a pic in my post, since it's from Instagram, but it is the dress transformation made on a cinderella doll.. It's gorgeous!
https://www.instagram.com/p/BMsY4DuAtUJ/
That is beautiful.
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

So, I'm making my own version of Cinderella, in comic form, so I think a lot about how to go about it and I thought what's wrong with Cinderella, why do people think her story is bad? Well, I realized, she's supposed to be pure good all the time, like she can't do anything more freeing and willful, she lives on her father's money, then on the prince's money, she puts up with shit that other put upon her, and, of course, is saved by animals, a fairy gdomother, marriage to a prince and, once again, his money.

But I have realized, Cinderella's story is much like Aladdin's. Aladdin is in rags, poor, mistreated, and then he is saved by magical help and a royal marriage and the money from that! It's not his own money, it's the princess's! The only big difference is he isn't meant to be pure good and he doesn't take crap from people. But he is saved by magic, a princess, and someone else's money.

I just thought that was interesting. So it's really not bad that Cinderella is saved by magical help and marriage to a royal. Aladdin did it and no one has a problem with his story or character.
JeanGreyForever
Signature Collection

Post by JeanGreyForever »

Aladdin isn't pushed around by his family. He's either an orphan or he has a loving and supportive mother. Plus he lives as a thief to make ends meet, unlike Cinderella, so she can't be labeled a rebel working against the oppressive system like he is.
ImageImage
We’re a dyad in the Force. Two that are one.
"I offered you my hand once. You wanted to take it." - Kylo Ren
"I did want to take your hand. Ben's hand." - Rey
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

Wait, so, do you mean that because of those things, that makes it ok for Aladdin to be saved by the things I listed? Or he isn't saved at all? Or you were just stating more differences?
JeanGreyForever
Signature Collection

Disney Duster wrote:Wait, so, do you mean that because of those things, that makes it ok for Aladdin to be saved by the things I listed? Or he isn't saved at all? Or you were just stating more differences?
I mean that I think those reasons are why people are ok with Aladdin but not Cinderella, because they still viewed him as an active character and felt his life was even harsher for being an orphan and a thief and not getting pushed around by anyone. Whereas they view Cinderella as weak for not standing up to her stepfamily.
ImageImage
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

Yeah, then I agree. I just wanted to point out they are both protaganists that get saved by others.
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

I came across this image from Walt Disney's Cinderella - Music from the Original Motion Picture Sound Track:

On the back of the album is an image of Cinderella hugging the prince at their wedding. It just looks so much like something that could have been drawn for the atcual film, don't you think? Lost idea? Just happened to be drawn by the original animators? What do you think? Even if not drawn by the original animators, or an idea they planned for the film, I still love the image and the emotion in the pretty on-model characters!
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

Cool find, Duster! Thanks for sharing! The pose chosen and the way the illustration is drawn makes me believe this was created for promotional use and wasn't intended for the film. But who knows?
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
Atlantica
Signature Collection

Post by Atlantica »

What lovely imagery ! Beautiful drawing for sure; so used to seeing the traditional kiss shot, it makes a lovely change to have something as intimate as a hug shown.

Great find Duster !
JeanGreyForever
Signature Collection

Thanks for posting! It's such a beautiful shot and I always wish we could have seen more moments of Cinderella and the prince. His outfit looks different from what he wears in the movie so I wonder if his wedding attire was originally supposed to be different. It always bothered me that his ball outfit was the same as his wedding one.
ImageImage
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

Thanks for the feedback, you guys. You guys are awesome! I'm glad to hear what you thought. I guess it was most likely for promotion, but it does look drawn by trained Disney artists! And yes, it is so lovely that it's so intimate. I think the prince has a sash which is what they considered giving him right up to the point they started animating, as I have seen pencil animation drawings of him with a sash. I do wish he had a different wedding outfit than his ball outfit too, but maybe that was what a prince would wear to all royal occasions? Still, would have liked the sash and maybe all white colors for the wedding.