Frozen II

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
DisneyFan09
Platinum Edition

Re: Frozen 2

Post by DisneyFan09 »

Sotiris wrote:^That's just a load of PR spin. They're too cowardly to ever do that. Disney aims for the broadest audience possible, and they'd never do anything to jeopardize their potential box office earnings, both stateside and abroad.
Word. That's the truth in a nutshell.
blackcauldron85
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Post by blackcauldron85 »

I honestly don't think they're going to give Elsa a love interest. I think that a girlfriend is more probable than a boyfriend (there'd be backlash at this point), but I don't think that they'll include that kind of love story for Elsa. I know that people, my own mom even, want Elsa to have a special someone, but I don't think it'll happen.
unprincess
Collector's Edition

Post by unprincess »

i don't think its going to be possible for this sequel to please everyone. There's gonna be some group thats gonna hate this movie. Its gonna force Disney to have to be very safe with the direction they take the characters in, especially Elsa (and Hans if he is brought back.) I think the safest thing they can do is create a new female character around the sisters age range who befriends them and leave it at that. Let the fanfic writers fan artists and shippers do what they want with them in their own works.
Disney's Divinity

Post by Disney's Divinity »

Sotiris wrote:^That's just a load of PR spin. They're too cowardly to ever do that. Disney aims for the broadest audience possible, and they'd never do anything to jeopardize their potential box office earnings, both stateside and abroad.
Bull's-eye.

I personally don't care either way about a love interest. I'd be fine with Elsa getting one (male or female), but I'd also be fine with the character being more concerned with being queen. I'm much more interested in the possibility of a magical villain she could go up against. Hans in a lot of ways was more Anna's villain. I would like if they made a villain specifically for Elsa to fight. Plus, it would allow lots of excuses for Elsa to use her powers, which would be beautiful to watch. :P
Listening to most often lately:
Ariana Grande ~ "we can't be friends (wait for your love)"
Ariana Grande ~ "imperfect for you"
Kacey Musgraves ~ "The Architect"
JeanGreyForever
Signature Collection

Post by JeanGreyForever »

Still no update on Santino Fontana then? I hope they're hiding his presence in the movie to explain the lack of confirmation of his return.
ImageImage
We’re a dyad in the Force. Two that are one.
"I offered you my hand once. You wanted to take it." - Kylo Ren
"I did want to take your hand. Ben's hand." - Rey
Jules
Diamond Edition

Post by Jules »

unprincess wrote:i don't think its going to be possible for this sequel to please everyone. There's gonna be some group thats gonna hate this movie. Its gonna force Disney to have to be very safe with the direction they take the characters in, especially Elsa (and Hans if he is brought back.) I think the safest thing they can do is create a new female character around the sisters age range who befriends them and leave it at that. Let the fanfic writers fan artists and shippers do what they want with them in their own works.
I agree. Even if Chris Buck and Jennifer Lee's Frozen 2 turns out to be a certified masterpiece and gets critical raves, it will likely only earn the approval of some 50% of its intended audience and fans of the first film.

There's going to be some very bitchy online bickering once the movie comes out. My suggestion for you guys is to watch the film, enjoy it or forget it, then move on to something else. Let the internet fester in its own drama.

I hope Chris Buck and Jennifer Lee get to do something original after this, and that if there will be a Frozen 3 it will be entrusted to another set of co-directors.
D82
Signature Collection

Post by D82 »

Jennifer Lee gives a little update on the film:
Frozen 2 comes out next year. Reading about how the sequel came about, it does appear a lot of thought and care went into it as opposed to, “Let’s just do another.” And it will have been six years…

I hope so! I mean, that’s exactly why we were inspired to do it, not because we were asked to. In fact, we were like, “never.” And then we sat down one day and I said, “I thought of this one thing.” And we started talking and we realized there was a whole aspect of the journey left to be told. And we regrounded ourselves in the characters and it’s always what we have to do. And we are building it from inside out again, not from outside in. And that takes longer and it’s very thoughtful and is kind of the reason I love doing it – all of what we are doing and talking and wrestling with as we go?

Will it actually be called Frozen 2? Nothing is just “2” anymore…

[Laughs.] I don’t know. Every day we change our mind. You can laugh the day we finally release the title because you’ll know, “This is the day they finally landed on this side of that.”
Source: https://uproxx.com/movies/jennifer-lee- ... -frozen-2/

Disney's Divinity wrote:I'm much more interested in the possibility of a magical villain she could go up against. Hans in a lot of ways was more Anna's villain. I would like if they made a villain specifically for Elsa to fight. Plus, it would allow lots of excuses for Elsa to use her powers, which would be beautiful to watch. :P
I like your idea. I would like if they did something like this to make her use her powers.
unprincess
Collector's Edition

Post by unprincess »

ugh, its so vague the way they talk about it. I know they arent allowed to give details yet but Im really dying for at least a hint at what the theme is about. Like how the first one was about love vs fear.

JeanGreyForever wrote:Still no update on Santino Fontana then? I hope they're hiding his presence in the movie to explain the lack of confirmation of his return.
sigh no its so frustrating. I hope we at least get a full cast list at this year's D23.
PatrickvD
Signature Collection

Post by PatrickvD »

Santino returning would be a bit spoiler-ish. I wouldn’t want to know if Hans returns or not, to be honest.
disneyprincess11
Diamond Edition

Post by disneyprincess11 »

“Frozen” may have just opened on Broadway, but the Oscar-winning creatives of both the movie and the stage musical aren’t done with each other yet. They’re hard at work on “Frozen 2.”

“We’ve done amazing stuff on ‘Frozen 2,’ and have a couple of songs already that are blowing my mind,” said Jennifer Lee, the screenwriter and director of “Frozen” and its sequel, who also wrote the book for the musical. “We do about six screenings that we hand draw, and so I’m on the second draft, second screening. There’s no shortcut. What we have today hopefully will be 10% of what we have when it opens.”

Speaking at the opening night after-party at Terminal 5 in Manhattan, Lee added that their work on the Disney Theatrical Productions show has crossed over into how they collaborate on “Frozen 2.” “There’s this really fluid thing going on that we didn’t know about in the beginning as we were getting to know each other,” she said. “We learned this wonderful sort of chicken-and-egg back and forth. Even for the film, we’re building it like a musical, where the story and songs are intertwined and matter to each other.”

Songwriters Kristen Anderson-Lopez and Robert Lopez agreed. “We know the girls a lot better now,” Anderson-Lopez said of Elsa and Anna, the central characters of “Frozen.” “We’ve gone a lot deeper into their heads. We know the parents a lot better.”

The duo just recorded a new song with Kristen Bell last week. But don’t ask for the name of the song, because they can’t tell you. They can’t reveal much at all, in fact — except for one tiny tidbit.

The musical switches out the rock trolls of the first film with a group of sylvan “hidden folk” inspired by Scandinavian folklore. Audiences may not have seen the last of them.

“We’ve thought a lot more about those hidden folk,” Anderson-Lopez said. “That’s all I’m going to say."
http://variety.com/2018/legit/vpage/fro ... 202734418/
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

You can't have both the trolls and the hidden folk. They serve the same purpose. Are they doing this because they want to explore the origins of Elsa's powers and are planning to base them on the hidden folk like they did in the musical?
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
unprincess
Collector's Edition

Post by unprincess »

yeah Im surprised b/c although adults find the trolls annoying and minion-ish, they are much more marketable to & popular with kids. So unless they give the hidden folk cuter more fairy/imp-ish designs(other than just a bunch of regular sized humans in loincloths lol) I dont see what the point of changing them is if its about needing a race of magical creatures.

Though if the idea is that this is the source of Elsa's powers in that she might have some "huldra" in her family line I could see why theyd want to go for more human-esque looking beings.

Anyway Im just glad we finally have something we can work on as far as figuring out what the plot might be!
JeanGreyForever
Signature Collection

Post by JeanGreyForever »

I don't think it would be impossible to have the trolls and hidden folk co-exist. I never did like that Elsa didn't have an origin for her powers so I wouldn't mind this.
ImageImage
We’re a dyad in the Force. Two that are one.
"I offered you my hand once. You wanted to take it." - Kylo Ren
"I did want to take your hand. Ben's hand." - Rey
unprincess
Collector's Edition

Post by unprincess »

its true, many different groups of magical creatures coexist together in Norwegian folklore. Its possible that the huldra will only be used for a short scene and the trolls will also be used for a totally different sequence/reason. I just thought it was odd that they would focus on huldra when we still dont know the whole deal about Kritstoff and his relationship with the trolls. I had thought much of the sequel would focus on that b/c many fans are curious about that. Guess we'll just have to wait for more details about the plot to slip out of the creators. :milkbuds:
Disney's Divinity

They're probably using the musical to test out audience reaction to the hidden folk. By replacing the trolls with the hidden folk, they get feedback on how they might be received in a sequel without really risking much where the musical is concerned because the trolls were the most-criticized aspect of the first film anyway.

Anyway, I hope everything Lee said about the music they've heard thus far bears out. I imagine the music will be more ingrained within the sequel than in the first. You can see how Lasseter's insistence upon his buddy roadtrip formula weakened the first film because most of the music was stuffed in the first act so that most of the 2nd act could be travel/sight-seeing fodder and the 3rd could be nothing but a chase sequence. With more confidence in the music because of the first film's soundtrack being so warmly received and--hopefully--without Lasseter's poison anywhere near the film (jury's still out on him being fully and completely gone...), the music should be more spread out consequently giving the film a better structure. I really hope they don't screw this up.
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

I love how anything remotely relevant to Frozen 2 turns into big news and gets headlines everywhere. :lol: Kristen just said she finished recording. That's it!

Kristen Bell shares an update on Frozen 2
http://ew.com/movies/2018/04/05/kristen ... -2-update/
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
Disney's Divinity

Yeah, I saw her on Ellen today coincidentally. I just lucked into checking Ellen right when she had two guests I wanted to see (Kristen Bell, Kamala Harris). I'm surprised they're this far along as far as all the songs/script being done. Even if there will be edits, it's still surprising to me. I guess all there is left to hope for is that I like the finished product. :P
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

I feel like this is a first for Disney. Their first sequel to a classic without originally having continued adventures like The Rescuers and Winnie the Pooh had. There's no sequel to The Snow Queen. And it'll be their first sequel to one of their biggest hits, one of their top tier films.
DisneyFan09
Platinum Edition

Post by DisneyFan09 »

Sotiris wrote:I love how anything remotely relevant to Frozen 2 turns into big news and gets headlines everywhere. :lol: Kristen just said she finished recording. That's it!
Isn't it how it is with everything, though? :P Every little news gets headlines everywhere.
Candy-Bonita95
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Candy-Bonita95 »

Disney's Divinity wrote:Anyway, I hope everything Lee said about the music they've heard thus far bears out. I imagine the music will be more ingrained within the sequel than in the first. You can see how Lasseter's insistence upon his buddy roadtrip formula weakened the first film because most of the music was stuffed in the first act so that most of the 2nd act could be travel/sight-seeing fodder and the 3rd could be nothing but a chase sequence. With more confidence in the music because of the first film's soundtrack being so warmly received and--hopefully--without Lasseter's poison anywhere near the film (jury's still out on him being fully and completely gone...), the music should be more spread out consequently giving the film a better structure. I really hope they don't screw this up.
Hey Disney's Divinity, do you have a source for this stuff about Lasseter's role on these creative decisions?

There has been some stupidity about Frozen being propaganda according to Jordan Peterson (yes, that mofo). He believes so because Frozen doesn't have the traditional arcs as found in previous Disney movies (beauty/beast. protective father/rebellious child). Out of all the movie examples he could claim to be propaganda, he ends up picking a movie that was purely an experiment.While agree that Frozen is missing components to traditional fairy-tale archs, it's not propaganda. We have been following Frozen since 2011, and the pre-production stories prove the opposite of it being this leftist cabal. I remember how the script had to be drafted so many times, certain musical numbers were cut and so.If Lasseter really forced the buddy road trip part, then it's not really feminist propaganda as people are speculating it to be, quite the opposite. :lol: The whole sisterly love thing was the key to the end product because Lee and Buck (also the Lopez-Andersons) were hitting their heads for 6 months trying to resolve the damn script, not because Disney hq were like, "We need a feminist movie." :lol: