The Swan Princess

Discussion of non-Disney entertainment.
DisneyFan09
Platinum Edition

Re: The Swan Princess

Post by DisneyFan09 »

Sotiris wrote:Apparently, the owners of The Swan Princess franchise have trouble finding illustrators that can draw Odette and Derek on-model. That would certainly explain the horrible DVD covers and clip-art. Why don't they just hire an animator, preferably one that worked on the original film?
Agreed.

Regardless of it, I'm glad that this franchise is still going on. Due to how the original film was something that I truly liked as a child, I'm glad to see that it's still milked (regardless of the probably inferior quality of the new films, haha :D :P)
Mooky
Platinum Edition

Post by Mooky »

Jules wrote:And I wonder if Mooky will be getting this one. :)
:lol:

I guess I'll get it eventually, for the sake of completing the collection. I'm not in a rush to watch it unless it pops up on YouTube.
UmbrellaFish
Signature Collection

Post by UmbrellaFish »

The Swan Princess has some really aggressive advertising. I clicked on the website once and it popped up everywhere on my browser for about a week. I'm not particularly inclined to buy the new stuff, but I should have bought the original trilogy a long time ago.

I hope one day Disney does their own version of Sean Lake. I think enough time has passed, and despite the rights holders' efforts, The Swan Princess hasn't had so much of an impact that Disney can't touch the property.
blackcauldron85
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Post by blackcauldron85 »

EXCLUSIVE CLIP: The Swan Princess Goes ‘Royally Undercover’ This Tuesday!
http://www.awn.com/news/exclusive-clip- ... er-tuesday
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

The 8th movie in the series will be called "A Royal Myztery".

Source: https://www.facebook.com/swanprincessmo ... 649729733/

Richard Rich wrote:We have had a lot of remarks from fans saying they want to see more of Odette and Derek and more of a fairy tale feeling. So in Swan 8 we have done a new story built around Derek and Odette, to capture the loving feelings that they had in the first film. Swan Princess 8 worked really well to give us a dramatic and rejuvenated love interest.
Source: https://swanprincessseries.com/blogs/ne ... -questions
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

The Swan Princess: A Royal MyZtery will be released on Digital on March 27, 2018. It will receive a limited DVD release (of only 1000 copies) on April 23, 2018. You can watch the trailer, here and a behind-the-scenes featurette here.
Synopsis wrote:It seems that a mysterious “Z” is appearing as a mark on the palace residents. Who is behind the mark and what does it mean? Princess Odette, Derek, Scully and all the Swan Princess friends work as a team to uncover the secret.
Source: https://www.sonypictures.com/movies/the ... yalmyztery

Teaser Poster

Source: https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/the_sw ... al_myztery

Final Poster

Source: https://moviesanywhere.com/movie/the-sw ... al-myztery

DVD

Source: https://swanprincessseries.com/collecti ... dition-dvd

Soundtrack

Source: https://swanprincessseries.com/blogs/ne ... ilable-now
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

The 9th movie in the series will be called "Kingdom of Music".

Source: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tPccYbKU2HQ

Source: https://www.facebook.com/swanprincessmo ... 857828806/

Richard Rich wrote:In Swan 9 Alise and Lucas are now 16 and 17 and involved in a love triangle with another prince from China. Alise has to face difficult decisions about who she is going to love. It’s a very dramatic story and it captures all of the feeling that was in the original Swan film but with new characters.
Source: https://swanprincessseries.com/blogs/ne ... -questions
Mooky
Platinum Edition

Post by Mooky »

They sure are trying to give The Land Before Time sequels a run for their money...

Thoughts:
- I stopped watching at No. 5 -- I guess I should continue
- It still looks like absolute crap though
- But No. 5 was really fun and interesting so maybe I shouldn't judge a book by its cover
- That "She's back" tagline seems more fitting for a horror movie
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

Mooky wrote:They sure are trying to give The Land Before Time sequels a run for their money...
I want them to surpass The Land Before Time film series. Only 6 more movies to go! :twisted:
Raf
Limited Issue

Post by Raf »

Looks like the ninth one may be the last though. I asked about it on the con, and they said the tenth movie was not commissioned by Sony yet. They said "there is still time", but as someone who tracked the previous sequels, they would usually work on the tenth one by now.
Anyway, looks like their main goal is to make a live-action version and I'm just... uh... :roll: That's like copying Disney a bit too much, and that's coming from someone who loves the first movie and follow the sequel series.
veu
Limited Issue

Post by veu »

Dear Raf,
I read your message. Have you more informations about Swan Princess live action? I think it could be a good choice to do a live action version of this beloved fairy tale. Swan Lake has no one live action movie, so I'd love to see it.
DisneyFan09
Platinum Edition

Post by DisneyFan09 »

Sotiris wrote:I want them to surpass The Land Before Time film series. Only 6 more movies to go! :twisted:
Sure, why not? Though I'm not so fond of the hand drawn sequels, at least the first film is good enough to be honored as a franchise.

Do you like the original Swan Princess, Sotiris?
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

DisneyFan09 wrote:Sure, why not? Though I'm not so fond of the hand drawn sequels, at least the first film is good enough to be honored as a franchise.
I just think it would be nice if a 'princess' franchise held the record of most direct sequels to an American animated movie.
DisneyFan09 wrote:Do you like the original Swan Princess, Sotiris?
Yes! :D I even like the two 2D sequels even though the quality is not on par with the original.
DisneyFan09
Platinum Edition

Post by DisneyFan09 »

Sotiris wrote:I just think it would be nice if a 'princess' franchise held the record of most direct sequels to an American animated movie.
I know, right? And especially one that isn't Disney.
Yes! :D I even like the two 2D sequels even though the quality is not on par with the original.
So do I, but I know that I'm just repeating myself :P. I haven't seen the new CGI movies.
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

Wait, why would you not want it to be Disney? We love Disney!
DisneyFan09
Platinum Edition

Post by DisneyFan09 »

What I meant was that it would be nice if a Princess-related franchise that wasn't Disney made it big. It has nothing to do with my love for Disney whatsoever. I love Disney, but it's nice to see that other companies makes their Princess related franchises as well. I miss when Disney weren't the only one who constantly milked the Princess brand.
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

Oh. Ok I get you.
Mooky
Platinum Edition

Post by Mooky »

So thanks to everyone keeping this thread alive (and Nest Entertainment for producing these movies), I caved in and finally watched part 6 :D It's an obvious downgrade from part 5 story-wise (at this point they seem to be throwing everything at the wall and seeing what sticks), the plot isn't really engaging and I can't really say I had much fun watching it. Odette and Derek are in the movie for a total of four minutes, and yes, they still look terrible. Outside of Queen Uberta's scenes, it wasn't funny either. And it features some truly awful animation and special effects -- in one scene set at sea, the characters are crushed by a (poorly animated) wave, and instead of showing them gradually sink beneath the surface, the animators just removed them from the frame. Like, one second they're there, the next one they're gone. :brick:

On to parts 7 and 8!

Ranking (so far):
1. The Swan Princess (1)
2. The Swan Princess (5): A Royal Family Tale
3. The Swan Princess (3): The Mystery of the Enchanted Kingdom
4. The Swan Princess (2): Escape from Castle Mountain
5. The Swan Princess (6): Princess Tomorrow, Pirate Today!
6. The Swan Princess (4) Christmas
Raf
Limited Issue

Post by Raf »

The sixth one is the worst for me. Seventh is so much better, and I think the eigth one is the best CGI sequel so far. The animation still isn't really good, but at least it gets better with each movie. In the seventh one, the main character is still their daughter, but Odette is kind of back as a lead in the eigth one.
My ranking would be:

1. The Swan Princess (1)
2. The Swan Princess (3): The Mystery of the Enchanted Kingdom
3. The Swan Princess (2): Escape from Castle Mountain

4. The Swan Princess (8): A Royal Myztery - it serves as a nice conclusion for movies 5-7, the animation kind of finally starts to look like normal direct-to-dvd CGI animation, and the movie fixes some of the problems of the previous sequels, like making Odette main character again.

5. The Swan Princess (4) Christmas - I really appreciate how the plot of this one was more in the style of 2D trilogy, rather than the others CGI sequels. We even see Odette transform into the swan for the last time.

6. The Swan Princess (7): Royally Undercover

7. The Swan Princess (5): A Royal Family Tale - I appreciate how it concluded the original plot, but animation in this one was the worst in the whole series, the plot feels like it could be a 40 minutes special, and all the scullions scenes seems so silly, which is weird, since they were totally fine in Swan Princess 6. Also, this is the movie in which modern references are no longer just easter eggs etc., but start to be transported into characters' speech, behavior, music sequences etc.

8. The Swan Princess (6): Princess Tomorrow, Pirate Today!
Mooky
Platinum Edition

Post by Mooky »

I'm glad I'm not the only one reviewing them lol!

I finished Parts 7 and 8, and it appeared to me these movies follow a pattern similar to Star Trek movies, where odd-numbered movies are bad, and even-numbered movies are good. In this case it's the opposite though. So yeah, I preferred Part 7 to Part 8.

I liked the Part 7's plot, it was rather intriguing even though who the villain was was telegraphed from the start. The kids as leads were not as annoying as you'd expect them to be. Most often, whenever a fictional couple ends up with kids, it signals a shift in the tone and quality of the franchise. I guess it's similar here, but kids were written as normal kids, none of that cutesy stuff that plagues this kind of movies so that worked to this movie's benefit. Uberta was once again the MVP of the franchise, and one thing I really like about these movies is the sense of continuity they maintain, with characters from previous installments coming back.

Part 8 continues on from Part 7, and there are some really good bits, it's somewhat dark in tone, and Odette and Derek play a bigger part like Raf said. I have to say the villain reveal surprised me, and that was done rather well. The kids take a backseat, deservedly so after two whole movies, and once again, Uberta steals the show. I didn't really see much improvement in the animation though. Now for the bad parts -- the whole running back and forth didn't really make much sense, it felt like just a filler, especially with Scully getting captured and escaping over and over again. Scully himself was basically there as a Deus Ex Machina-type of plot device, in the sense that whenever the plot needed to go somewhere and characters were stuck, he'd appear and solve the issue. Much like at the end of Part 6. And that Bogg island and fake reality show were the worst parts of Part 6 so I don't know why they came back. Plus that awful plot with Lord Rogers inventions, I could stomach it in Part 7, but here they took it to a next level. Anyway, it's not as bad as Part 6 or Part 4, and it did wrap up the story nicely.

Final ranking:
1. The Swan Princess (1)
2. The Swan Princess (5): A Royal Family Tale
3. The Swan Princess (3): The Mystery of the Enchanted Kingdom
4. The Swan Princess (2): Escape from Castle Mountain
5. The Swan Princess (7): Royally Undercover
6. The Swan Princess (8): A Royal MyZtery
7. The Swan Princess (6): Princess Tomorrow, Pirate Today!
8. The Swan Princess (4) Christmas

(Huh, the producers must really like the words "royal" and "mystery".)