Beauty and the Beast (Live-Action)

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
DisneyFan09
Platinum Edition

Re: Beauty and the Beast (Live-Action)

Post by DisneyFan09 »

So no Best Picture-nomination, huh? This officially means that even the Academy Awards consider this remake of being inferior to it's animated counterpart.
Disney's Divinity
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Post by Disney's Divinity »

All the re-makes are inferior to their original films. Except for The Jungle Book, imo.
Listening to most often lately:
Ariana Grande ~ "we can't be friends (wait for your love)"
Ariana Grande ~ "imperfect for you"
Kacey Musgraves ~ "The Architect"
DisneyFan09
Platinum Edition

Post by DisneyFan09 »

Disney's Divinity wrote:All the re-makes are inferior to their original films.
Fair enough, but since Disney has now proved that they can truly make good live action remakes, I feel that they are redeemable in their own way (with the exception of Maleficent and the sequels to 101 Dalmatians and Alice in Wonderland)
Disney's Divinity wrote:Except for The Jungle Book, imo.

Really? You don't like the animated version?
Disney's Divinity

DisneyFan09 wrote:
Disney's Divinity wrote:All the re-makes are inferior to their original films.
Fair enough, but since Disney has now proved that they can truly make good live action remakes, I feel that they are redeemable in their own way (with the exception of Maleficent and the sequels to 101 Dalmatians and Alice in Wonderland)
Sorry if that read as combative. I was agreeing with you. :P
DisneyFan09
Platinum Edition

Post by DisneyFan09 »

Well, fine then. I thought we were having a serious, constructive discussion and I wanted to have such.
JeanGreyForever
Signature Collection

Post by JeanGreyForever »

D82 wrote:
Disney's Divinity wrote:Well, if this couldn't get a nom for something phenomenal like "Evermore," I don't expect anything for the Aladdin and Mermaid LA re-makes.
Yeah, now I don’t expect it either. Maybe with Disenchanted, but after this I don't have high hopes.
Only if Menken pulls another instant hit like he did back in the 90s back-to-back. It'll have to be a Let it Go size hit probably for him to win, and since Disenchanted will have even more songs than the first film, it's possible that could happen. I can't remember what won Best Song in 2007, but I think Enchanted suffered that year because it had three nominations.
DisneyFan09 wrote:So no Best Picture-nomination, huh? This officially means that even the Academy Awards consider this remake of being inferior to it's animated counterpart.
I'm glad most people can recognize that. It's always shocking when I hear people say that while they loved the original, the new one blew it out of the water, or that Emma Watson gave an Oscar-worthy performance lol.
ImageImage
We’re a dyad in the Force. Two that are one.
"I offered you my hand once. You wanted to take it." - Kylo Ren
"I did want to take your hand. Ben's hand." - Rey
Vlad
Collector's Edition

Post by Vlad »

I loved the remake, but it’s in no way better than the original. To be honest, I think the filmmakers knew it would be hard to beat the animation, too. But as far as I know, their intention with this remake was not to replace the classic. In my eyes, it’s a worthy companion, one that can sit proudly on the shelf next to it.

As for the Oscars, I would have been shocked if it would have been nominated for Best Picture. But I am kinda surprised it didn’t receive a nomination for Best Song, with “Evermore”.
Disney's Divinity

I agree, Sicoe. The animated film is one of--if not the--best Disney film there is. There's no way this was ever going to live up to that. Just like the live-action Aladdin, The Lion King, and The Little Mermaid films ain't going to top their originals either.
D82
Signature Collection

Post by D82 »

Disney's Divinity wrote:By the way, D82, I read what you posted in The Wild topic, and I just wanted to say I had never even noticed anything off with your English or writing skills. I'm glad if the forum has helped you. :) You've added a lot of good to the forum, so I wouldn't worry about posting too much at all. :up:
Thank you so much for your kind words, Disney Divinity. :) When I posted that on that thread, I didn’t expect such a response. You are all really kind and I’ve felt very welcomed here since the first day. Well, I guess I shouldn’t worry so much about my English or my writing then. I’m glad if have contributed something to the forum. I certainly have learned a lot from all of you and I enjoy reading your and other's comments and the news shared here.
JeanGreyForever wrote:I can't remember what won Best Song in 2007, but I think Enchanted suffered that year because it had three nominations.
"Falling Slowly" from the movie Once is the song that won that year. Yeah, I think that, in that case, having three songs nominated affected the film negatively.

Speaking of nominated songs, I read an article the other day that said that maybe the auto-tuning and digital treatments applied to "Evermore" could've dissuaded Academy members from voting for it. I don't know if it could be true. Personally, it did bother me a little bit. I understand they had to modify the voice a bit for it to sound like a beast, but I think there's some auto-tuning as well, because it doesn't sound exactly like the voice Beast has when he speaks. I would've preferred that his singing wasn't perfect to having those effects added.
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

This film is a companion piece like Cinderella is to that one's original as a review site also said, but Beauty and the Beast probably should have stuck closer to the original film in certain areas to be better if it was going to be so much like the original anyway.
Disney's Divinity

I agree. They didn’t need to add all that unnecessary exposition about the villagers having their memories erased by the Curse just to explain the Beast’s age and Mrs. Potts being Chip's mother or the castle living in a magical winter to explain the passage of time after Belle comes to the castle. The additions don’t bother me at all, but nobody worth thinking about ever obsessed over those things in the first place.
D82 wrote:Speaking of nominated songs, I read an article the other day that said that maybe the auto-tuning and digital treatments applied to "Evermore" could've dissuaded Academy members from voting for it. I don't know if it could be true. Personally, it did bother me a little bit. I understand they had to modify the voice a bit for it to sound like a beast, but I think there's some auto-tuning as well, because it doesn't sound exactly like the voice Beast has when he speaks. I would've preferred that his singing wasn't perfect to having those effects added.
I have wondered if that might have had something to do with it, but I’m leaning more towards Menken bias being the reason over anything else. I still wish they'd had a version of it without the audio effects.
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

Actually, you're awfully mean to say no one worth thinking about would want those additions as you know I wanted such additions earlier in this very thread, but as someone worth thinking about I will say I was ok with those additions. It was the expansion of the songs, Gaston and Maurice in the woods, the enchanted book, and the enchanted objects dying additions I didn't think were good. The change of the yellow dress and the acting being less good was also what I didn't like.
JeanGreyForever
Signature Collection

Disney Duster wrote:Actually, you're awfully mean to say no one worth thinking about would want those additions as you know I wanted such additions earlier in this very thread, but as someone worth thinking about I will say I was ok with those additions. It was the expansion of the songs, Gaston and Maurice in the woods, the enchanted book, and the enchanted objects dying additions I didn't think were good. The change of the yellow dress and the acting being less good was also what I didn't like.
I didn't mind the enchanted book at first too much even if I felt it was unnecessary, especially since I was not a fan of the subplot about Belle's mother, but then people pointed out how it totally makes it unclear why Belle doesn't just use the book to get back home so quickly. If a new concept is breaking up the story of your film, then it really doesn't belong.
ImageImage
Disney's Divinity

Disney Duster wrote:Actually, you're awfully mean to say no one worth thinking about would want those additions as you know I wanted such additions earlier in this very thread, but as someone worth thinking about I will say I was ok with those additions.
Oh, was it? Gee, I had no idea. That's just my opinion about such people, sorry.

The book could've been left out, but I'm fine with most of the other additions you listed. The objects momentarily dying--like the Beast--was the best scene in the film, imo. But I've long since given up on your idea of what's good for B&tB. That would be like the makers of Frozen 2 taking advice from people who hate Frozen. So what, who cares?
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

Really, you think that no one should ever think about a person that does one thing you don't agree with? Whatever. Thanks, I accept your apology. The scene with the enchanted objects dying is considered the saddest scene in the film...but it's supposed to be when the Beast is dying! Their deaths take away from the focus that should be on Belle and the Beast's situation, which should have been done better.
JeanGreyForever
Signature Collection

Disney Duster wrote:Really, you think that no one should ever think about a person that does one thing you don't agree with? Whatever. Thanks, I accept your apology. The scene with the enchanted objects dying is considered the saddest scene in the film...but it's supposed to be when the Beast is dying! Their deaths take away from the focus that should be on Belle and the Beast's situation, which should have been done better.
Honestly, I wouldn't be surprised if the scene was specifically added in because they realized that Watson's acting wouldn't be enough to carry the pathos of the scene. That's certainly true for his transformation scene where she just stands there blank-eyed. So I'd say it was a plus that the focus is removed from Belle and Beast because I feel a lot more for the objects than I do for the other two.
ImageImage
Disney's Divinity

It's true that you do feel more for the servants than the Beast, because they are innocent for the most part and the Beast is not. I'm still glad the scene is in the film. Moreover, they weren't going to make people feel as sad about the Beast dying because the ending is already known/expected with this being a remake.
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

Ah. Well taking all of what you guys said into consideration it just bolsters that I think the ending should have been better. It's like giving an excuse for a sucky scene. We all know the ending of CInderella and that remake's ending was done well in I and other's opinions.
Disney's Divinity

Maybe "like" giving an excuse, but since I don't consider it a sucky scene in the first place...?

A simple solution to all your problems would be to go sit in front of your TV and watch Cinderella on a loop for eternity instead of whining about every other film in the universe not being as good as Cinderella (as if you don't invent reasons for you to feel they're inferior to Cinderella anyway). I know that would make me happy.
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

Well Jungle Book had a really different done ending and that's the only other film I think was good that was a Disney remake. In fact, only Cinderella, The Jungle Book, and Beauty and the Beast are actually remakes. And I don't even think Cinderella (2015) is that good to watch that often. It's kinda bland, and boring, like you yourself think. I just think it's also good, and Beauty and the Beast is good, but I also think Cinderella is a little better than Beauty and the Beast. I am just using Cinderella as a comparison for certain arguments, and the argument about endings you expect but are done well invited that comparison to me.