Beauty and the Beast (Live-Action)

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
estefan
Platinum Edition

Re: Beauty and the Beast Live-Action Discussion

Post by estefan »

I was merely theorizing why voters would be inclined to vote for "Remember Me" and why I think it goes beyond their enjoyment of Coco. A lot of times, a song will win an Oscar or a Golden Globe, because they see it on their ballot and I think "oh, yes, I remember that song." Because "Remember Me" is played at multiple points and at the pivotal moment in the climax, it is a difficult song to forget. It's a similar reason why "City of Stars" won last year, even though it's arguably not the best La La Land song. It's played three times over the course of the film, making it more likely to stay in a voter's head.

Though I personally found "Remember Me" to be a beautifully written song with a strong melody and heartfelt lyrics. "Evermore" was fine, but I don't think the new "Beauty and the Beast" songs were Alan Menken close to in top form. I couldn't hum those songs if I tried and I felt "If I Can't Love Her", from the Broadway musical, was a far superior song from the Beast.

I wouldn't be opposed to "This is Me" winning, although "A Million Dreams" and "The Greatest Show" were my favourite songs from The Greatest Showman. For some reason, Fox took a cue from Disney and only submitted "This is Me" for awards consideration.
"There are two wolves and they are always fighting. One is darkness and despair. The other is light and hope. Which wolf wins? Whichever one you feed." - Casey Newton, Tomorrowland
Disney's Divinity
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Post by Disney's Divinity »

I've never been that enamored with most of the Broadway additions. "Evermore" is the only song that's been added to the B&tB property/franchise(?) post-1991 that I really care for besides "A Change in Me." I almost wish the song had been a part of the original film, considering what a great song it is and how perfectly placed. I'd put "Home" at a distant 3rd, although I love the melody. "Me" is a fun number, "How Does a Moment Last Forever" is a nice end credits song, "No Matter What" is a sweet depiction of Maurice and Belle's relationship, and "Days in the Sun" is very pretty, but all are inconsequential; I'd take "Human Again" over the latter. (Just to be clear, I consider HA one of the original songs despite the fact it was cut. If I grouped it with the other later additions, I'd put it before "Evermore.") I don't care for "Maison des Lunes" at all.

I haven't seen the other films yet, so I can't comment--I do plan to see TGS and Coco. Just seeing "Evermore" pushed aside to make way for yet another preordained Pixar win makes me roll my eyes.
Listening to most often lately:
Ariana Grande ~ "we can't be friends (wait for your love)"
Ariana Grande ~ "imperfect for you"
Kacey Musgraves ~ "The Architect"
JeanGreyForever
Signature Collection

Post by JeanGreyForever »

D82 wrote:The Last Jedi has finally surpassed Beauty and the Beast as the top film of 2017 internationally too.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/scottmende ... 6b843c1159
About time this film was dethroned. The Last Jedi was far worthier.
ImageImage
We’re a dyad in the Force. Two that are one.
"I offered you my hand once. You wanted to take it." - Kylo Ren
"I did want to take your hand. Ben's hand." - Rey
Disney's Divinity

Being sandwiched between two franchises both on what feels like their hundredth pre/mid/sequel ain't too shabby.

For perspective:

#2 Beauty and the Beast 2017 1,263.5 billion
#2 Alice in Wonderland 2010 1,025.5 billion
#4 Maleficent 2014 758.5 million
#5 The Jungle Book 2016 966.6 million
#6 101 Dalmatians 1996 320.7 million

The others didn't make the top 10. :!: I guess there's a reason Disney is considering a sequel for B&tB, considering they've made/are making sequels for these other 4 elite films.
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

Disney's Divinity wrote:The others didn't make the top 10. :!: I guess there's a reason Disney is considering a sequel for B&tB, considering they've made/are making sequels for these other 4 elite films.
Elite? LOL Only one of those films got very good reviews and it wasn't Beauty and the Beast.
Sotiris

Re: Beauty and the Beast (Live-Action)

Post by Sotiris »

The Oscar nominations have just been announced. Beauty and the Beast was nominated for Best Costume Design and Best Production Design. None of the songs were nominated though. Poor Menken. The Oscars keep snubbing him. :(

The Oscars and Disney's remakes/reimaginings of their animated films/characters:

Beauty and the Beast was nominated for Best Production Design and Best Costume Design.
The Jungle Book was nominated for Best Visual Effects (won).
Cinderella was nominated for Best Costume Design.
Into the Woods was nominated for Best Production Design, Best Costume Design, and Best Supporting Actress (Meryl Streep).
Saving Mr. Banks was nominated for Best Original Score.
Maleficent was nominated for Best Costume Design.
Alice in Wonderland was nominated for Best Visual Effects, Best Production Design (won), and Best Costume Design (won).
102 Dalmatians was nominated for Best Costume Design.
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
rodrigo_ca
Special Edition

Post by rodrigo_ca »

Evermore truly deserved a nomination.
Disney's Divinity

Disney Duster wrote:
Disney's Divinity wrote:The others didn't make the top 10. :!: I guess there's a reason Disney is considering a sequel for B&tB, considering they've made/are making sequels for these other 4 elite films.
Elite? LOL Only one of those films got very good reviews and it wasn't Beauty and the Beast.
I don't think Disney cares. People actually wanted to see those 5 elite films, unlike...others. :frog: I'm sorry. LOL
JeanGreyForever
Signature Collection

I'm laughing at the people who way back when BATB came out, said that Emma Watson gave an Oscar-worthy performance.
ImageImage
Disney's Divinity

I don't think that tops people obsessing over the Beast's age from the original film to the point they hoped the movie would solve it via Alternate Universes.
JeanGreyForever
Signature Collection

Disney's Divinity wrote:I don't think that tops people obsessing over the Beast's age from the original film to the point they hoped the movie would solve it via Alternate Universes.
Yeah, Beauty and the Beast is one of those films that fans love to dissect and nitpick every little detail. I personally never had an issue with the film's continuity, whether it was the Beast's age, how long the spell lasted, the sudden transition to winter, etc. I know Frozen got similar flack from fans like what Elsa was planning on eating in the ice palace, etc.
ImageImage
D82
Signature Collection

Post by D82 »

Sotiris wrote:None of the songs were nominated though. Poor Menken. The Oscars keep snubbing him. :(
How disappointing. :( I was convinced "Evermore" would get in. It was the best song in my opinion, and I don't think the category was too competitive this year. Do you think submitting two songs has damaged its chances of being nominated as Alan feared?
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

D82 wrote:Do you think submitting two songs has damaged its chances of being nominated as Alan feared?
No, I don't think so. Just last year, La La Land got two song nominations and won. I think the music branch at the Oscars has turned against Menken. Maybe it's because they think he has too many Oscars already. Maybe it's because they think he's not relevant anymore. (They don't seem to have a problem with John Williams though who yesterday got his 51st nomination for basically composing the same type of score for Star Wars like always). This is evident in how they've changed the music rules to specifically stop him from getting nominated. It was even dubbed "the Alan Menken rule" within music circles. They changed the score rule so musicals can't get nominated for score (even though they unethically ignored this rule last year for La La Land) and reduced the maximum number of songs that could get nominated per film to two. Both of these were in response to his nominations and more recently to Enchanted's triple song nomination. They even refused to activate the Best Original Musical category in 2005 even though there were enough eligible entries for the first time in decades because "Alan Menken had too many Oscars".
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
Disney's Divinity

The way you lay it out like that, Sotiris, it sounds like there are some pretty pressed Oscar voters. I guess I shouldn't be surprised.

Looking through the awards just now, the only things that I find shocking are Newsies not getting any notice, Hunchback not even getting a Song nom, "I See the Light" losing to that craptastic TS3 song (I hated Tangled at the time and even I thought it was robbed), and now score, but mostly "Evermore" for this. I loved "That's How You Know" from Enchanted, but "Falling Slowly" is a very deserving winner that year. I wouldn't put this on the same level as the others by any means, but I personally think Hercules deserved a nom for Best Original Musical or Comedy Score over a couple of the others that year although definitely not a win.

Well, if this couldn't get a nom for something phenomenal like "Evermore," I don't expect anything for the Aladdin and Mermaid LA re-makes. Although... :roll: Somehow I can see strings getting pulled for Mermaid so Miranda can get an award or at least a nom along with Menken, since Disney actually cares about supporting Miranda as their new talent. :roll: :roll: :roll:
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

Disney's Divinity wrote:I don't think Disney cares. People actually wanted to see those 5 elite films, unlike...others. :frog: I'm sorry. LOL
Good quality reviews sounds more elite than how many people saw something to me.
Disney's Divinity

That's nice. Sorry I don't agree with you.
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

Fine. I must admit, you put that very nicely.
D82
Signature Collection

Post by D82 »

Sotiris wrote:
D82 wrote:Do you think submitting two songs has damaged its chances of being nominated as Alan feared?
No, I don't think so. Just last year, La La Land got two song nominations and won. I think the music branch at the Oscars has turned against Menken. Maybe it's because they think he has too many Oscars already. Maybe it's because they think he's not relevant anymore.
I didn’t think it either, but I was trying to understand why the song wasn’t nominated. I thought the music branch actually liked Alan’s work, as evidenced by the many nominations they have given him through the years, but at the same time they have treated him quite badly with those rule changes clearly made against him. I knew about the first two cases, but I didn’t know that they also refused to activate the Best Original Musical category in 2005. That was really unfair. So maybe you are right and they have turned against him.
Disney's Divinity wrote:Looking through the awards just now, the only things that I find shocking are Newsies not getting any notice, Hunchback not even getting a Song nom, "I See the Light" losing to that craptastic TS3 song (I hated Tangled at the time and even I thought it was robbed), and now score, but mostly "Evermore" for this.
I think they didn’t nominate any song from Newsies because the film was a failure, both critically and financially. It did win something, though, the Razzie Award for Worst Original Song. :P Thankfully, the film’s music finally got the praise it deserved when the Broadway musical premiered.
Disney's Divinity wrote:Well, if this couldn't get a nom for something phenomenal like "Evermore," I don't expect anything for the Aladdin and Mermaid LA re-makes.
Yeah, now I don’t expect it either. Maybe with Disenchanted, but after this I don't have high hopes.
estefan
Platinum Edition

Post by estefan »

I guess I'm in the minority here in that none of the new songs from the Beauty and the Beast remake stuck with me, including "Evermore." And I usually find Alan Menken songs to be earworms, but whenever I try and think back to "Evermore", my brain plays "If I Can't Love Her" from the Broadway show instead.

Honestly, the person I think deserved to get in for Best Original Song this year, but didn't, was Weird Al Yankovic for the "Captain Underpants" Theme Song. Yes, really. The Academy's music branch has been snubbing the poor guy since "UHF."
"There are two wolves and they are always fighting. One is darkness and despair. The other is light and hope. Which wolf wins? Whichever one you feed." - Casey Newton, Tomorrowland
Disney's Divinity

D82 wrote: I think they didn’t nominate any song from Newsies because the film was a failure, both critically and financially. It did win something, though, the Razzie Award for Worst Original Song. :P Thankfully, the film’s music finally got the praise it deserved when the Broadway musical premiered.
Oh, wow. I don't know much about Newsies, tbh. I saw the film in high school around the same time we read Night by Elie Wiesel. I didn't have much reaction to it outside of liking "Seize the Day." I'm glad the music got its day in the sun much later.

By the way, D82, I read what you posted in The Wild topic, and I just wanted to say I had never even noticed anything off with your English or writing skills. I'm glad if the forum has helped you. :) You've added a lot of good to the forum, so I wouldn't worry about posting too much at all. :up: