The Nutcracker and the Four Realms

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
blackcauldron85
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Re: Disney's "The Nutcracker and the Four Realms"

Post by blackcauldron85 »

Aaaaaaahhhh!!! Squeeeeeee!!! Yay!!! Ooh, that looks great. :up: :) :woot: :pink: :banana: :mickana: I am always craving more, (non-remake) magical Disney live-action movies, and here is one!!!!!

The snow scene w/ Clara, the angle it's shot at, obviously is reminiscent of Narnia, and the colorful costumes and settings, & even the movie's logo, are reminiscent of Alice, but it's not those stories, it'll stand on its own.
D82
Signature Collection

Post by D82 »

The trailer was very good. I'm more excited about the film now too. By the way, did you notice the reference to Fantasia on minute 1:08?

Here's the teaser poster, a new synopsis and a pair of new stills:

Source: https://twitter.com/Disney_UK/status/942819606665801729

All Clara (Mackenzie Foy) wants is a key – a one-of-a-kind key that will unlock a box that holds a priceless gift from her late mother. A golden thread, presented to her at godfather Drosselmeyer’s (Morgan Freeman) annual holiday party, leads her to the coveted key—which promptly disappears into a strange and mysterious parallel world. It’s there that Clara encounters a soldier named Phillip (Jayden Fowora-Knight), a gang of mice and the regents who preside over three Realms: Land of Snowflakes, Land of Flowers and Land of Sweets. Clara and Phillip must brave the ominous Fourth Realm, home to the tyrant Mother Ginger (Helen Mirren), to retrieve Clara’s key and hopefully return harmony to the unstable world. Starring Keira Knightley as the Sugar Plum Fairy and featuring a special performance by Misty Copeland, Disney’s new holiday feature film “The Nutcracker and the Four Realms” is directed by Lasse Hallström and inspired by E.T.A. Hoffmann’s classic tale. In theaters on Nov. 2, 2018.

Source: http://collider.com/the-nutcracker-and- ... en-mirren/
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

Hella cool! I noticed the Fantasia reference! Did anyone notice the owls that turn into mice wallpaper?
Disney's Divinity

Post by Disney's Divinity »

That's a very striking poster.
Listening to most often lately:
Ariana Grande ~ "we can't be friends (wait for your love)"
Ariana Grande ~ "imperfect for you"
Kacey Musgraves ~ "The Architect"
PatrickvD
Signature Collection

Post by PatrickvD »

Oh and a shout out to Disney for doing a live-action fairytale that's not a sequel/remake and actually adapts a story not yet told by the studio. This should always be encouraged.

After Oz I thought they wouldn't go there again.
JeanGreyForever
Signature Collection

Post by JeanGreyForever »

I love the costumes and am glad that they are keeping the rococo period costumes for the magical lands, since that is most commonly done in the illustrations for the book.

I definitely get a Narnia and Alice vibe, the former from the winter theme, and the latter from the visual effects which were also apparent in Oz, but most especially from seeing Clara in uniform. Much like Alice, it seems like she'll be taking a more active role, which I like, especially since unlike Alice, they haven't undermined her youth and aged her up.

I wonder when we'll get a chance to see the actual Nutcracker. I'm guessing he isn't the soldier who is seen with Clara.

The ballet's music in the trailer sounded wonderful, and I hope this isn't a case where they just used the music for the trailer and don't plan on including it in the movie as well. I know I've always wanted to see Disney make films for The Nutcracker and Swan Lake in the vein of their Sleeping Beauty.
ImageImage
We’re a dyad in the Force. Two that are one.
"I offered you my hand once. You wanted to take it." - Kylo Ren
"I did want to take your hand. Ben's hand." - Rey
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

Oh, I didn't know they usually use 18th century costumes for the Nutcracker's land in illustrations! I guess the actual Nutcracker will be a big reveal, as will Mother Ginger. And yes, this hopefully will be like Sleeping Beauty, except better in terms of story and characters!
JeanGreyForever
Signature Collection

Disney Duster wrote:Oh, I didn't know they usually use 18th century costumes for the Nutcracker's land in illustrations! I guess the actual Nutcracker will be a big reveal, as will Mother Ginger. And yes, this hopefully will be like Sleeping Beauty, except better in terms of story and characters!
Most illustrated versions of the original story usually use 1700s costumes for all the characters in the Kingdom of Toys (the ballet changes the theme of the kingdom from toys to sweets). Usually the real world is set in the Victorian Era but sometimes they'll keep the 1700s look for the real world as well, or at least with Drosselmeyer with the powdered wig. And he looks to have the some bouffant type of hair in the trailer as well.

Don't we see Mother Ginger in the trailer though? With all the mice scurrying around her.

As long as this film isn't like Maleficent :wink:
ImageImage
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

Cool! Thanks for the info! I was wondering if that was Mother Ginger but she wasn't wearing a dress so I didn't think it was her. We shall see. And yes it better not be like Maleficent!
D82
Signature Collection

Post by D82 »

Disney Duster wrote:Hella cool! I noticed the Fantasia reference! Did anyone notice the owls that turn into mice wallpaper?
Yes, that was cool too.
JeanGreyForever wrote:I wonder when we'll get a chance to see the actual Nutcracker. I'm guessing he isn't the soldier who is seen with Clara.
I think he's actually that soldier. Well, I have never read the book or seen any film adaptation of The Nutcracker, except for an episode of Mickey Mouse Works based on the fairytale. But I've just read a summary of the story and, according to it, the Nutcracker also wears soldier clothes and is actually Drosselmeyer's nephew who is under a curse. In this movie, like Drosselmeyer, the soldier is also performed by a black actor, so it makes sense he could be his nephew. The difference, I think, is that in this version the Nutcracker will probably be in his human form when he's in the magical realms instead of being a toy like in the book.
JeanGreyForever wrote:The ballet's music in the trailer sounded wonderful, and I hope this isn't a case where they just used the music for the trailer and don't plan on including it in the movie as well. I know I've always wanted to see Disney make films for The Nutcracker and Swan Lake in the vein of their Sleeping Beauty.
I hope they use Tchaikovsky's music in the actual movie too. And maybe they will. At the end of the trailer, the score conductor's name is featured along with the composer, who is James Newton Howard. I don't think the conductor is usually among the main credits featured in trailers, so that might mean he has a more important role here, maybe because he's responsible of adapting the ballet's music.
JeanGreyForever
Signature Collection

D82 wrote:
JeanGreyForever wrote:I wonder when we'll get a chance to see the actual Nutcracker. I'm guessing he isn't the soldier who is seen with Clara.
I think he's actually that soldier. Well, I have never read the book or seen any film adaptation of The Nutcracker, except for an episode of Mickey Mouse Works based on the fairytale. But I've just read a summary of the story and, according to it, the Nutcracker also wears soldier clothes and is actually Drosselmeyer's nephew who is under a curse. In this movie, like Drosselmeyer, the soldier is also performed by a black actor, so it makes sense he could be his nephew. The difference, I think, is that in this version the Nutcracker will probably be in his human form when he's in the magical realms instead of being a toy like in the book.
JeanGreyForever wrote:The ballet's music in the trailer sounded wonderful, and I hope this isn't a case where they just used the music for the trailer and don't plan on including it in the movie as well. I know I've always wanted to see Disney make films for The Nutcracker and Swan Lake in the vein of their Sleeping Beauty.
I hope they use Tchaikovsky's music in the actual movie too. And maybe they will. At the end of the trailer, the score conductor's name is featured along with the composer, who is James Newton Howard. I don't think the conductor is usually among the main credits featured in trailers, so that might mean he has a more important role here, maybe because he's responsible of adapting the ballet's music.
I thought the soldier was the Nutcracker as well, but in the synopsis he isn't listed as him, so I assumed they were separate characters. Especially since we haven't seen the Nutcracker yet, so I assumed they were keeping his character a secret. You're right though that since Drosselmeyer is played by Morgan Freeman, the soldier could be the Nutcracker since he is supposed to be Drosselmeyer's nephew.

That sounds promising. I didn't even notice that the conductor was included in the trailer's main credits.
ImageImage
D82
Signature Collection

Post by D82 »

JeanGreyForever wrote:I thought the soldier was the Nutcracker as well, but in the synopsis he isn't listed as him, so I assumed they were separate characters.
Yes, you're right. In the synopsis he's listed as Philip, while it hasn't been revealed yet who plays the Nutcracker. We'll see. But he seems to be quite important in the story, and that's something that also makes me think the Nutcracker and him are actually the same character.
JeanGreyForever
Signature Collection

An extra for the film posted some interesting tidbits of information about the film here.
https://www.reddit.com/r/movies/comment ... ms_teaser/
There's one ballet scene (which you see a tiny bit of in the trailer), and it was done by professional ballet dancers: Misty Copeland and Sergei Polunin. That's the only ballet scene you'll see in the movie. None of the main stars will be doing ballet.

So the film is mostly focused on telling a story, it'll play more like a Narnia fantasy movie, rather than a musical like Beauty & the Beast. There's just going to be that one ballet scene to pay homage to the music & opera, but that's it.
I think a lot of people assume that everything is CGI now, so all the real work and props and set building that went into a scene is unappreciated.

For example, I can confirm everything in these shots is real, even though some people would assume it's a green screen in the background.
https://imgur.com/a/Ty6ZS
ImageImage
D82
Signature Collection

Post by D82 »

^Thanks for sharing, JeanGreyForever! Maybe Tchaikovsky's music will only be heard in that scene then, but at least there's an homage to the ballet.
D82
Signature Collection

Re: The Nutcracker and the Four Realms

Post by D82 »

Stills from the new trailer that will arrive soon: https://www.trailer-track.com/2018/06/2 ... mminently/

UPDATE: The trailer is available to download here in Russian (where it says trailer B), but the file is very big and it's in a strange format. I managed to watch it, but I hope it's uploaded to Youtube soon.
Raf
Limited Issue

Post by Raf »

Finally a new trailer. Can't wait for it, it is currently the Disney movie I'm most excited about.
JeanGreyForever
Signature Collection

I'm still excited for this movie but I've heard it's been plagued with production issues and reshoots. That doesn't necessarily mean it'll be an inferior final product, but it does make me wonder since Disney hasn't been heavily promoting it.
ImageImage
estefan
Platinum Edition

Post by estefan »

I mean, every big-budget movie goes through reshoots nowadays. Marvel films pretty much have them included on their schedule from day one, in case the director feels they need to adjust things during the post-production period, based on test screenings and other factors.

I think Disney has mostly been concentrating on marketing Incredibles 2, Ant-Man and the Wasp and Christopher Robin at the moment. But after CR's release, they only have three films set for the rest of the year, with Nutcracker the first on November 2. I'm sure after Christopher Robin, that's when they will really start revving the engines on promoting Nutcracker, Ralph Breaks the Internet and Mary Poppins Returns.
"There are two wolves and they are always fighting. One is darkness and despair. The other is light and hope. Which wolf wins? Whichever one you feed." - Casey Newton, Tomorrowland
Old Fish Tale
Anniversary Edition

Post by Old Fish Tale »

estefan wrote:I mean, every big-budget movie goes through reshoots nowadays. Marvel films pretty much have them included on their schedule from day one, in case the director feels they need to adjust things during the post-production period, based on test screenings and other factors.
The problem is they've hired a new director to do it.
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

Theatrical poster. I like it; it looks like a mix between Narnia and Anastasia.

Source: https://twitter.com/Disney/status/1012370466617643008
ImageImageImageImageImageImage