UltimateDisney.com/DVDizzy.com Reviews: Discussion Thread

Discussion of non-Disney DVD and Blu-ray.
BrandonH
Special Edition

Re: UltimateDisney.com/DVDizzy.com Reviews: Discussion Threa

Post by BrandonH »

I think you were unnecessarily harsh on The Good Dinosaur. I went in with extremely low expectations, but there is a lot there to like, and it is very affecting for parents.
"Mustard? Don't let's be silly!"
--Mad Hatter, Alice in Wonderland

My DVDs
Disney Duster
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Post by Disney Duster »

I just read your The Jungle Book (2016) review. Cinderella (2015) WAS REMARKABLE! I think it was better than The Jungle Book (2016). You didn't seem to think much of The Jungle Book (2016) though, and I thought it was pretty good and better than the original Disney film. I don't think the original is one of Disney's best. It seems you like it because it's so...fun? And probably because it focused so much on animals...
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

You know, after thinking about it, I think the original Walt Disney animated The Jungle Book is the better film. I think it has a better story. Also, just like you probably are inclined towards movies more featuring males and animals, I'm inclined towards films that have magic.
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

I also think the original animated Jungle Book had, importantly, more emotion, too.

I am glad you thought 10 Cloverfield Lane was so good. I thought it was a very great movie! John Goodman was super creepy, wasn't he? He was really good. Wasn't expecting his performance. I felt really bad for poor Emmett...
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

You know, I don't think Snow White cooking and cleaning is really bad. Who cares that she did typical housewife duties to earn her living? It wouldn't matter if she had to mine like the other dwarfs to earn her living, it's still all earning a living. And it's obvious the men eventually keep her with them because they love her. And who cares if she was naive enough to fall to the queen's trickery? And so what if she dreamed of a better life with the man she loved in "Someday My Prince Will Come"? I suppose the only thing she could have done was get a horse and travel all over to find him. That's the only regressive thing I can think about her.
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

Luke, are you going to review Beauty and the Beast: The Walt Disney Signature Edition and all of the other Walt Disney Signature Editions?
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

Hey Luke, I read your Beauty and the Beast (2017) review. I liked that you think the film is good and worth seeing, and I agree. However I would say a lot of the things you said, about no déjà vu, no cynical reason to make it only for money, and making a rich, vast, believable three-dimensional universe to apply to Cinderella (2015) and The Jungle Book (2016). I actually feel Beauty and the Beast had more déjà vu, which I'm surprised you didn't think since this is the Disnye live-action film closest to it's animated source material. I also feel Lily James should have gotten into the "Best Actress - Motion Picture Comedy or Musical" category if Emma Wtason ever were to, since I felt more for Lily Jame's acting than Emma Watson's. Also, yea the Beast probably should have been make-up and prosthetics.
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

I read your Countdown of the Films of 2016: Ranked and Reviewed. I am surprised you said Florence Foster Jenkins was "one iffy joke stretched thin". I found the film to be about a woman's dream that failed, not a joke, and that it was a very good film. I liked Lights Out a lot more, too, though yea, it wasn't super good. I actually rather liked Sausage Party as well and found it funny. I did like Zoolander 2, but yea, it wasn't very good. I found Alice Through the Looking Glass to be way worse than its sequel. I didn't consider Ghostbusters to be a remake, but I guess it was, and I thought it was fairly good, but yea, not that good. I really liked Now You See Me 2 as you must have. I think Moonlight should have been much higher in your countdown, but Moonlight, Finding Dory, and your top three picks are really good ones and deserve to be in the top. I must say your last three picks seem to be in about the perfect spots.
Jules
Diamond Edition

Post by Jules »

The video and audio sections of the site's reviews need a little bit more meat. I remember a time when I used to depend on the wisdom imparted in that subsection in deciding whether to buy the barebones, special edition or slap-in-the-face edition DVD titles from Disney.

Just thinking of all the passionate complaining I put forth permanently on the blessed internet in reaction to the poor video on the Disney Rarities set brings tears to my eye. *sniff*
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

Hey Luke, I liked your It review! Since I have seen the TV miniseries (on VHS), I will say that seemed to have more character development, but yes, the characters of this film are more well-written than horror movies usually give us. It just seemed to not match up to the miniseries (the part where they are kids of course). I also didn't know you thought Sully was so good. I thought it was a'ight. But yea I thought your review of It was quite good. I really liked the film and can't wait for the next chapter.
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

Really disagree with you on Coco Luke. It is by far one of Pixar's very best, if not the best. It's so emotional. What's up with your emotional heart, dude?
Last edited by Disney Duster on Fri Dec 01, 2017 9:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
blackcauldron85

Post by blackcauldron85 »

I thought that Luke's Coco review was extremely positive! He definitely praised it, from what I gathered from it!
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

It was very positive, but he said it was not up to the heights of Pixar's best and he seemed to prefer humor and thrills over emotion.
blackcauldron85

Post by blackcauldron85 »

Ooh, gotcha! I loved Coco, and I definitely laughed and cried a lot. I think, for me, it has the emotion of Up, but I can relate better to Coco. As much as I can relate to Miguel, Toy Story 3, Finding Dory, & The Good Dinosaur make me feel even more, so those are my favorites, even though Coco (and really any Pixar film) is filled with emotion. I think "Best Pixar Film(s)" will have a different list no matter who makes them, you know? It's not like Luke didn't like the film, but other films are more his favorite, which is just personal preference!
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

I don't know how people find Coco less emotional than the four other Pixar films you mentioned. I guess I never thought everything Luke write must be personal preference. But I find it weird he never mentions Coco's emotional level.
Escapay

Post by Escapay »

Disney Duster wrote:he seemed to prefer humor and thrills over emotion.
Luke does not say that. He talks about the film's humor and thrills, but that does not mean he prefers them over emotion. That's confirmation bias on your part, don't project it onto his review.
Luke's Review wrote:It's sensible storytelling that finds humor without disrespecting any Mexican customs or values.
Here, he's basically saying that the film finds a way to be funny without being offensive towards Mexican culture.
Luke's Review wrote:The result is fewer laughs and thrills than first-rate Pixar movies
Here, he doesn't even say he's preferring any thrills over emotions. Rather, he says that Coco contains less thrills.

There's more to a film than emotion, and Luke has demonstrated in various reviews that there are many facets of film-viewing that speak to him. The Coco review alone speaks about fidelity to source material, audience expectations in a sequel-heavy environment, comparison to past work from the studio, the world-building within the film, and the effectiveness of the narrative as both entertainment and education. It's well-written and depicts his thoughts succinctly and effectively. I don't see why Luke should be obligated to share his emotional connection to every film he reviews just because you are curious.

Albert
WIST #60:
AwallaceUNC: Would you prefer Substi-Blu-tiary Locomotion? :p

WIST #61:
TheSequelOfDisney: Damn, did Lin-Manuel Miranda go and murder all your families?
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

What you quoted totally says to me he prefers humor and thrills over emotion and that because there is more of it in other films it makes those other films with more be "first-rate Pixar films". If that's not what he's saying ok, then I'm wrong, but I'd love to hear that from him and why. But this film is more emotional than humorous and thrilling and he makes no mention of it.
Escapay

Post by Escapay »

Disney Duster wrote:What you quoted totally says to me he prefers humor and thrills over emotion
Again, that's your confirmation bias.

You're interpreting his words into what you want them to mean, rather than what he is actually saying.

Him choosing to talk about humor and thrills but not emotion does not mean that he prefers them. That's only your interpretation. You can't criticizing his review for not fitting into your view of what you think it should be talking about.
Disney Duster wrote:But this film is more emotional than humorous and thrilling
In your opinion. Luke is merely offering his own as well, but you can't say that what he chooses to talk and not talk about shows all his feelings on the matter. I agree, let him come here and speak for himself if he has to, but his review says more than enough.
Disney Duster wrote:and he makes no mention of it.
And that's his editorial choice. Don't read into it as more than that just because it doesn't fit with what you want his review to mean.

Albert
WIST #60:

WIST #61:
TheSequelOfDisney: Damn, did Lin-Manuel Miranda go and murder all your families?
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

If he doesn't prefer humor and thrills to emotion, but you think I have a bias for emotion, what makes you think I do? Are you using what I say as evidence? Just like what I am doing with what he says? As for the film being more inclined toward emotion than humor or thrills, I see that as plain a fact as any film is inclined to be a drama over a comedy or an action film and it is fact, not opinion.
Escapay

Post by Escapay »

Disney Duster wrote:If he doesn't prefer humor and thrills to emotion, but you think I have a bias for emotion, what makes you think I do?
I'm not talking about your bias for emotion, I'm talking about confirmation bias.
  • Confirmation bias, also called confirmatory bias or myside bias, is the tendency to search for, interpret, favor, and recall information in a way that confirms one's preexisting beliefs or hypotheses.
Multiple times, you have made statements that fit the bill for confirmation bias, as you've basically rewritten or re-interpreted what he said to fit what you want it to mean.
You wrote:he seemed to prefer humor and thrills over emotion.
Again, your insistence that because he didn't write about the emotion must mean he prefers humor and thrills.
You wrote:I don't know how people find Coco less emotional than the four other Pixar films you mentioned.
Luke's lack of mentioning emotion gets interpreted by you that he found the film less emotional.
You wrote:What you quoted totally says to me he prefers humor and thrills over emotion
A repeat of the first quote, in which you openly admit that is how you interpret it.
You wrote:But this film is more emotional than humorous and thrilling and he makes no mention of it.
That is your opinion, but you present it as a fact. You've done this PLENTY OF TIMES in the past and have gotten into such huge fucking arguments about it, so I'm not surprised it's still an issue.
Disney Duster wrote:Are you using what I say as evidence? Just like what I am doing with what he says?
What you are doing is taking his words and re-interpreting them to fit what you want them to mean.
Disney Duster wrote:As for the film being more inclined toward emotion than humor or thrills, I see that as plain a fact as any film is inclined to be a drama over a comedy or an action film and it is fact, not opinion.
No, it is an opinion.

Albert
WIST #60:

WIST #61: