Olaf's Frozen Adventure

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
Lady Cluck
Anniversary Edition

Re: Olaf's Frozen Adventure (2017)

Post by Lady Cluck »

LOL, all of my friends absolutely despised this. A lot of people are truly sick of Frozen and they thought it was way too long for a short.

I thought it was cute and the music was pretty good though. It put me in a holiday mood, and I could see myself adding it to my annual holiday season viewings. It's always nice to hear Idina and Kristen singing new songs together, so I guess I'm a little more excited about the idea of Frozen 2 now.
LADY Image CLUCK
Sotiris
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Post by Sotiris »

New interviews with the producer and songwriters.

‘Olaf’s Frozen Adventure’ Producer Roy Conli on Furthering the Myth of Arendelle
http://collider.com/olafs-frozen-advent ... roy-conli/

Kate Anderson & Elyssa Samsel on the Songwriting Process for ‘Olaf’s Frozen Adventure’
http://collider.com/kate-anderson-elyss ... adventure/
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
Disney's Divinity

Post by Disney's Divinity »

Just bought the album and broke my rule of not listening to the music ahead of time. I'd rank the songs as:

1. "Ring in the Season"
2. "When We’re Together"
3. "Ring in the Season (Reprise)"
4. "That Time of Year"
5. "The Ballad of Flemmingrad"
6. "That Time of Year (Reprise)"

I didn't dislike any of the songs (unlike FH and FU from the movie). I actually really like the first 4 and had a hard time deciding which of RitS and WWT I like more. I especially like the callbacks to "First Time in Forever" in RitS. Kristoff's song is alright, mostly for Groff. TToY (reprise) is almost nothing, which is why it ended up last. The focus on Christmas makes them less interesting than the film songs, naturally, but I expected that already.
Listening to most often lately:
Ariana Grande ~ "we can't be friends (wait for your love)"
Ariana Grande ~ "imperfect for you"
Kacey Musgraves ~ "The Architect"
taei
Special Edition

Post by taei »

I honestly hate today's culture of hating everything that becomes popular... Why can't people like something because it's good instead of saying "Hmm... Everybody can't stop talking about this, and I'm getting tired of hearing about it, so time to bash it!"...

Honestly... The reception that this featurette got was very frustrating. It's 100% on Disney though for not trimming down the short.

I mean... it's soo easy. Here's what they could have done:

For the film: Cut out the introduction of Olaf surprising everyone and just start the short with Anna walking into the hall.
Cut out Kristoff's song. Cut out the bit with Sven trying to tell Kristoff that Olaf is lost and the stew. Cut out Anna and Elsa rallying the town to go hunt for olaf.
That would have shortened the short and made it more palatable.

Then on Christmas day, just air it on ABC... Disney owns ABC. Just air it and say that it has extra scenes.

But as for my opinion on the short...

I LOVED it. Mainly because of the songs. Ring in the Season (Especially the second half) and When We're Together are great songs and in my opinion rival the original songs in the film (They are orchestrated way better than the movies ones).
I thought Olaf's humor was spot on. Every single joke landed. He is the perfect mix of Childlike Wonder, Rudeness, and Sarcasm. He completely won me over then he said that even eagles need traditions... It was just soo endearing... And the look that he had on his face... I related to him on a spiritual level haha.

I will say... I thought it was hilarious how Arandelle doesn't have a royal guard... So Elsa literally went door to door asking her townspeople to go out into the wild where wolves were attacking Olaf... For starters... She wasted time (Sven already told her he was out in the woods), put her people in danger.. and didn't even think of using her powers or even conjuring Marshmallow....
"In every age, Family is king,
and the bravest journeys, are never taken alone."
-Brave.
JeanGreyForever
Signature Collection

Post by JeanGreyForever »

Apparently Olaf's Frozen Adventure might get a separate blu-ray release alongside 6 other Disney shorts.
Possible confirmation that Olaf's Frozen Adventure will get its own home release;
The (Official) DisneyMoviesOnDemand channel on YouTube posted a video last night, titled 'Olaf's Frozen Adventure Plus 6 Disney Tales' with a runtime of 1:08:26. No other info except cast & crew credits for OFA. It's one that you can only view after purchase.
Maybe those that didn't like it in theatres won't have to worry about it on Coco's home release
http://forum.blu-ray.com/showthread.php ... 1&page=218
ImageImage
We’re a dyad in the Force. Two that are one.
"I offered you my hand once. You wanted to take it." - Kylo Ren
"I did want to take your hand. Ben's hand." - Rey
Vlad
Collector's Edition

Post by Vlad »

I'm going this weekend to see Coco. Very excited to see this one, too.
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

Josh Gad reveals why Olaf's Frozen Adventure was screened in front of Coco.
Josh Gad wrote:I remember John Lasseter saying originally it was supposed to be for television. And he said, 'You know, we’re so blown away by it, we think we want to attach it to Coco.' And I was like, 'But isn’t it 22 minutes'? And he’s like, 'Yeah, it’s unprecedented, but we really feel like it thematically connects with that movie.' And so, they’re making that play and I couldn’t be prouder.
Source: http://abcnews.go.com/Entertainment/jos ... d=51436475
JeanGreyForever
Signature Collection

Post by JeanGreyForever »

Sotiris wrote:Josh Gad reveals why Olaf's Frozen Adventure was screened in front of Coco.
Josh Gad wrote:I remember John Lasseter saying originally it was supposed to be for television. And he said, 'You know, we’re so blown away by it, we think we want to attach it to Coco.' And I was like, 'But isn’t it 22 minutes'? And he’s like, 'Yeah, it’s unprecedented, but we really feel like it thematically connects with that movie.' And so, they’re making that play and I couldn’t be prouder.
Source: http://abcnews.go.com/Entertainment/jos ... d=51436475
I don't really see a thematic connection except that both center on holidays (entirely different holidays though). I don't go by anything Lasseter claims though.
ImageImage
We’re a dyad in the Force. Two that are one.
"I offered you my hand once. You wanted to take it." - Kylo Ren
"I did want to take your hand. Ben's hand." - Rey
Disney's Divinity

And wasn’t it really 40+ minutes at one time? Clearly they were worried about Coco’s box office—especially after The Good Dinosaur—and were using the lure of Frozen to get more butts into seats. I really wish it had been on TV and went untouched instead of being shredded just to pimp Pixar’s latest product.

I wonder about that Blu-Ray release. I hope it gets a solo one, but I wonder what other tales/shorts will be included? Hopefully Frozen Fever, but it was already on that WD Short Films Collection release, and so were the only other recent Disney shorts I'd care about (Get a Horse!, Paperman, Tangled Ever After, Little Matchgirl, etc.).
D82
Signature Collection

Post by D82 »

Disney's Divinity wrote:And wasn’t it really 40+ minutes at one time? Clearly they were worried about Coco’s box office—especially after The Good Dinosaur—and were using the lure of Frozen to get more butts into seats. I really wish it had been on TV and went untouched instead of being shredded just to pimp Pixar’s latest product.
I think it was always intended to be 20 minutes long. That's the length TV specials usually have, so I don't think it has been trimmed.

I wonder if Disney is regretting the decision of pairing it with Coco after the backlash it's getting. Maybe there are some people who are seeing Coco only because of the Frozen short, but in general people are loving the movie itself, so it doesn't seem it needed the help from the short.

JeanGreyForever wrote:Apparently Olaf's Frozen Adventure might get a separate blu-ray release alongside 6 other Disney shorts.
I hope the other shorts are the ones that weren't on the first volume of the WDAS Short Films Collection (Destino, One by One, Glago's Guest and Super Rhino), plus Inner Workings and the little Moana short (Gone Fishing). That makes 6 short films. This could be the volume 2 of that collection.
Disney's Divinity

D82 wrote: I think it was always intended to be 20 minutes long. That's the length TV specials usually have, so I don't think it has been trimmed.
No, you're right. I was looking back through the thread, and it was always planned for a half-hour slot. I must've got that idea fixed in my head quite a while afterward when all I could remember was thinking they were going to slice and dice it to make it short-length.

The only concrete backlash I've seen so far was something in the Coco thread about some area of Mexico complaining and getting the short removed. Online, the only people I've seen complain are people who were complaining about Frozen when it was first released (and I'm really not just talking about here). Disney could always change course at some point if it really became a problem.
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

D82 wrote:I hope the other shorts are the ones that weren't on the first volume of the WDAS Short Films Collection (Destino, One by One, Glago's Guest and Super Rhino), plus Inner Workings and the little Moana short (Gone Fishing). That makes 6 short films. This could be the volume 2 of that collection.
Destino, Super Rhino, Inner Workings, Gone Fishing have already been released in HD on Blu-ray. I'd rather they put shorts they haven't released in HD yet. By the way, here's the video where the info came from. The title is "Olaf's Frozen Adventure Plus 6 Disney Tales" and the running time listed is 1:08:26.
D82
Signature Collection

Post by D82 »

Disney's Divinity wrote:The only concrete backlash I've seen so far was something in the Coco thread about some area of Mexico complaining and getting the short removed. Online, the only people I've seen complain are people who were complaining about Frozen when it was first released (and I'm really not just talking about here). Disney could always change course at some point if it really became a problem.
Yes, some complaints are from people that hate Frozen or are Pixar fans but not Disney's and don't like that they've paired a Disney short with a Pixar film. But, like in Mexico, the main issue people seem to have with the short is its length. Here's what some news sites have said about this issue:
Most of the complaints have centered on the maddening length of the featurette. Before a Pixar feature film, we are accustomed to getting a charming short running five minutes or so — a warm-hearted masterwork in miniature that preps our heartstrings for the emotional depths of most Pixar films.

Instead, however, we get a small “Frozen” movie that begins to feel as if it will never end. We are creatures of habit, and “Olaf’s Frozen Adventure” eventually feels like the grinning house guest who won’t leave, even through the party was supposed to clear out long ago. As each successive song in the four-tune reel cues up, moviegoers’ reactions can be heard to switch from laughing irritation to growing mockery to outright anger. (This is a very different era from the days of Disney’s 1983 Oscar-nominated “Mickey’s Christmas Carol,” which ran 26 minutes, when filmgoers were more conditioned to expect a featurette of that length before a Disney film.)
“Olaf’s Frozen Adventure” currently gets a mere 41 percent “liked it” audience score on Rotten Tomatoes.
Source: https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/com ... 0b7b976e0e

Many cinema employees have also written on Reddit and Twitter that customers have been demanding refunds, many believing that they had been sold a ticket to the incorrect movie.

"Shout out to Disney for making my life harder," one cinema employee tweeted. "I had about 70 confused customers who thought they were in the wrong theatre since Disney decided to put a 20 minute Frozen short before Coco."

Others have claimed that their cinemas have taken to putting signs up outside of screening rooms warning audiences of the length of the short.
Source: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/films/2017/1 ... creenings/

Reactions to Olaf's Frozen Adventure got so bad in Mexico, where Coco premiered in October, that some theaters even cut it from showings. Redittors have actually teamed up to help out anyone planning on seeing Coco, with threads explaining that anyone wanting to skip out on Anna, Elsa, and Co. should plan on showing up to their screenings at least 30 minutes late.
Source: http://www.refinery29.com/2017/11/18249 ... -reactions
Disney's Divinity

"Shout out to Disney for making my life harder," one cinema employee tweeted. "I had about 70 confused customers who thought they were in the wrong theatre since Disney decided to put a 20 minute Frozen short before Coco."

Source: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/films/2017/1 ... creenings/
:lol: :lol: :lol:
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

Idina Menzel and Kristen Bell singing "When We're Together" in Disney's Magical Holiday Celebration TV special.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-JI1nRAG9Do[/youtube]

The songwriters, Kate Anderson & Elyssa Samsel singing "When We're Together" on the piano.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zkb12l6Kyy0[/youtube]
PatrickvD
Signature Collection

Post by PatrickvD »

Don’t care for the song, but those voices are angelic. Hard to believe that was live. They didn’t miss a single note.
unprincess
Collector's Edition

Post by unprincess »

yeah, I think it would be good idea for Disney to refrain from any new Frozen related material(except for the Broadway show, but thats a totally different thing that most people wont be able to see anyway)for 2018. Or they can expect a nasty backlash effect when the sequel finally releases in 2019.
Vlad
Collector's Edition

Post by Vlad »

I saw it today, together with Coco. It was such a cute short, and the story was very nice and touching.

The songs were amazing. They were almost as good as the ones in the original Frozen, especially "Ring in the Season" and "When We're Together. If their purpose was to make me excited for Frozen 2, they managed. I'm waiting for my CD copy of the soundtrack, so I can enjoy the songs as much as possible.
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

Well, that didn't last long. Starting from December 8th, the featurette will be removed from all screenings of Coco everywhere in the U.S. So, if you're planning on seeing it in theaters you better hurry.

That Stupid ‘Frozen’ Short Is Being Removed from ‘Coco’ Everywhere
http://www.slashfilm.com/frozen-short-r ... from-coco/
unprincess
Collector's Edition

Post by unprincess »

oh I was gonna see it a bit later this month, I better go tomorrow then! thanks for the info!