Beauty and the Beast (Live-Action)

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
Disney's Divinity
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Re: Beauty and the Beast Live-Action Discussion

Post by Disney's Divinity »

It wasn't built to last 50 years; likely because they'll start remaking all these films a third time by then. The live-action remakes are just temporary cash-ins, all of them. The Jungle Book is the only one I can see having any longevity because it's probably the best film version of the story there has been, imo. (No, I'm not the biggest fan of Disney's animated film, sorry.)
Listening to most often lately:
Ariana Grande ~ "we can't be friends (wait for your love)"
Ariana Grande ~ "imperfect for you"
Kacey Musgraves ~ "The Architect"
D82
Signature Collection

Post by D82 »

Disney's Divinity

I love the picture they chose.
JeanGreyForever
Signature Collection

Post by JeanGreyForever »

Now they're interested in showcasing the actual good costumes from this film. Should have used a picture of Emma Watson's yellow prom dress just out of spite.
ImageImage
We’re a dyad in the Force. Two that are one.
"I offered you my hand once. You wanted to take it." - Kylo Ren
"I did want to take your hand. Ben's hand." - Rey
Disney's Divinity

I wouldn't have minded a picture of the Beast and Belle together. I thought they looked fine, but I enjoyed all the costumes in this film.

Incidentally, I did like Cinderella's costumes outside of the blue trampoline-cover-turned-butterfly-dress. I think I've said before that Cate Blanchett looked stunning even if the writing for the character was all over the place.
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

I'm quite surprised by what the critics said in that ad. I felt the film lacked joy. But hey, that's how I felt.

So did you think it had joy Divinity? And did you really like Belle's yellow dress more than Cinderella's blue one? Most people's opinions is the opposite. I wonder what you really think.
Disney's Divinity

Disney Duster wrote: And did you really like Belle's yellow dress more than Cinderella's blue one? Most people's opinions is the opposite.
I wouldn't take the "majority" of the 5 people who still post on this forum as a reflection of the general population's opinions. :lol: Most people probably haven't even seen Cinderella 2015 to compare, going by its box office.
JeanGreyForever
Signature Collection

Disney's Divinity wrote:
Disney Duster wrote: And did you really like Belle's yellow dress more than Cinderella's blue one? Most people's opinions is the opposite.
I wouldn't take the "majority" of the 5 people who still post on this forum as a reflection of the general population's opinions. :lol: Most people probably haven't even seen Cinderella 2015 to compare, going by its box office.
Can't speak for the movie, but the popular consensus about the dresses is that Belle's dress is a tacky prom dress while Cinderella had a luxurious ballgown fit for a princess. You can find this "opinion" (which is really a fact if we're being honest) all over the internet. Twitter, Tumblr, Reddit, Facebook, Youtube, etc. are filled with hate on Belle's dress, and especially comparisons to Cinderella's, and how Disney got it so right for one and failed on the other. Of course that blame can all be directed towards Emma Watson and indeed many of the comments do point blame in her direction (for both her shoddy dress designing skills and her "acting" if it can be called that).
ImageImage
Disney's Divinity

JeanGreyForever wrote:Can't speak for the movie, but the popular consensus about the dresses is that Belle's dress is a tacky prom dress while Cinderella had a luxurious ballgown fit for a princess. You can find this "opinion" (which is really a fact if we're being honest) all over the internet.
:lol: It's honestly not. I have to admit it would be delicious if this film were nominated for its costumes where Cinderella failed, just to read the meltdowns here.
JeanGreyForever
Signature Collection

Disney's Divinity wrote:
JeanGreyForever wrote:Can't speak for the movie, but the popular consensus about the dresses is that Belle's dress is a tacky prom dress while Cinderella had a luxurious ballgown fit for a princess. You can find this "opinion" (which is really a fact if we're being honest) all over the internet.
:lol: It's honestly not. I have to admit it would be delicious if this film were nominated for its costumes where Cinderella failed, just to read the meltdowns here.
There's always a type of person who feels the need to dispute the truth. Your ranting and raving about Cinderella definitely puts you in that category, but for your sake, I'll label that as my personal opinion rather than a fact since you seem touchy about that differentiation. I know how defensive you get whenever even an iota of praise is issued to Cinderella. BTW, Cinderella was nominated for its costumes, so you ought to get your facts straight on that. And yes, that is a fact, not an opinion, although you surely seem to not be able to distinguish one from the other.
ImageImage
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

Thanks JeanGreyForever for your great defensive skills!

But I was actually really curious about Disney Divinity's opinion on Belle's yellow dress and if he really thought it was better than Cinderella's blue one. I just want to know. I am glad that he liked all the other costumes.
estefan
Platinum Edition

Post by estefan »

Disney's Divinity wrote:
Cinderella was nominated for Best Costume Design. But Beauty and the Beast is a likely possibility to get nominated, too. It could win, but I think its biggest competition will be the showy circus costumes of The Greatest Showman and the period costumes designed by Daniel Day-Lewis's fashion designer in Phantom Thread.
"There are two wolves and they are always fighting. One is darkness and despair. The other is light and hope. Which wolf wins? Whichever one you feed." - Casey Newton, Tomorrowland
Disney's Divinity

JeanGreyForever wrote: There's always a type of person who feels the need to dispute the truth.
And what type of person are you? The self-righteous kind who thinks they have a better relationship with the truth than everyone else?
I know how defensive you get whenever even an iota of praise is issued to Cinderella.
The only thing I'm "touchy" about is talking about Cinderella in every thread of this forum that is not named "Cinderella." You can go there and praise all day and night. Believe me, I won't follow you. And, no, I do not mind at all being passive-aggressive every time it's brought up here, because the only reason either you or Duster bring it up here is to troll. You got what you wanted, don't complain now.
And yes, that is a fact, not an opinion, although you surely seem to not be able to distinguish one from the other.
That's a bit rich coming from someone who thinks their opinion of a dress is a fact. As for it being nominated, I had went to the film's Wikipedia page and didn't see it. My apologies (for that anyway, but not the rest).
Vlad
Collector's Edition

Post by Vlad »

The fact that the new Beauty and the Beast tried to make everything seem so real was the main problem. Cinderella did manage to have that fairy tale feel the original had. And I do agree that her dress is better and more beautiful than Belle’s. It’s fit for a princess, and it’s a joy to look at.

The animated Belle’s golden ballgown is, in my opinion, the prettiest. The remake dress is pretty, but not pretty enough. These two are the only problems I had with the remake. Other than that, I think it was awesome.
Disney's Divinity

Sicoe Vlad wrote:The fact that the new Beauty and the Beast tried to make everything seem so real was the main problem. Cinderella did manage to have that fairy tale feel the original had. And I do agree that her dress is better and more beautiful than Belle’s. It’s fit for a princess, and it’s a joy to look at.

The animated Belle’s golden ballgown is, in my opinion, the prettiest. The remake dress is pretty, but not pretty enough. These two are the only problems I had with the remake. Other than that, I think it was awesome.
I agree that the LA dress does not compare to the animated film's design at all. But I do like it much better than the dress from Cinderella-LA's film (which also pales in comparison to the animated film's design, btw, which is probably my favorite Disney dress after Tiana's green bayou wedding dress). *shrug* Cinderella-LA has a better wedding dress though.
JeanGreyForever
Signature Collection

Disney's Divinity wrote:
JeanGreyForever wrote: There's always a type of person who feels the need to dispute the truth.
And what type of person are you? The self-righteous kind who thinks they have a better relationship with the truth than everyone else?
Your opinion is your prerogative and frankly I don't care what you think of me. You haven't given me a reason to respect your opinions due to your attitude which I elaborate on below.
Disney's Divinity wrote:
JeanGreyForever wrote:I know how defensive you get whenever even an iota of praise is issued to Cinderella.
The only thing I'm "touchy" about is talking about Cinderella in every thread of this forum that is not named "Cinderella." You can go there and praise all day and night. Believe me, I won't follow you. And, no, I do not mind at all being passive-aggressive every time it's brought up here, because the only reason either you or Duster bring it up here is to troll. You got what you wanted, don't complain now.
If the topic of Cinderella is brought up so many times, it's usually because it's actually relevant to the topic at hand. This thread most of all, because it's of course very natural to make comparisons between BATB and Cinderella. Let's ignore the live-action films for a second. Belle and Cinderella are usually considered the strongest heroines from their respective eras. Both are French fairy tales whose villain is not the typical black magic character, but more real in that they lack magic and actually exist in this world. Both have riches to rags to riches upbringings with both lacking a princess title until they marry a prince. Both fairy tales feature fairies of sort who either reward or punish depending on the character of the person. Both have iconic ballroom scenes with iconic ballgowns in matching colors (silver and gold). Now, adding in the live-action films, we retain all of that, plus the fact that these two films basically come right after one another and both are two of the most faithful Disney live-action film adaptations, not to mention they share a tie of being the only Disney Princess live-action films so far since most people don't call Maleficent a Sleeping Beauty film, but a retelling. These two films will always be compared, so if Cinderella is being brought up here, there's a very good reason for it. Even this discussion started about the costumes, which once more, are going to be compared. It's not like you can compare The Jungle Book's "costumes" to this film's. And I might remind you that it was you who brought up the topic of Cinderella's costumes first in this discussion as seen here.
Disney's Divinity wrote: Incidentally, I did like Cinderella's costumes outside of the blue trampoline-cover-turned-butterfly-dress. I think I've said before that Cate Blanchett looked stunning even if the writing for the character was all over the place.
I just mentioned that it's funny that Disney chose not to use Belle's dress to headline their Best Costume nomination, and then suddenly you bring up how much you despise Cinderella's ballgown again (while admittedly praising the rest of the costumes). So if anyone is "trolling" by posting about Cinderella, it's you. You bring up Cinderella just as much as Disney Duster and I, if not more than both of us combined, by bringing up incendiary comments about it in order to get a reaction out of someone. And you're perfectly allowed to post your opinion, but then don't criticize others for doing the same by labeling it trolling. Especially since at this point, you should know that how dear Cinderella (any version of the story) is to Disney Duster. Even the slightest mention of it gets his attention and he will ask you to elaborate on your feelings. I made one mention of Cinderella when I was discussing sales of the Disney Diamond Editions in the Signature Thread, and in all of that narrative I wrote, Disney Duster identified the part I wrote about Cinderella and asked me to elaborate on what I was saying. So you're just trying to get a rise out of him at this point.
Disney's Divinity wrote:
JeanGreyForever wrote:And yes, that is a fact, not an opinion, although you surely seem to not be able to distinguish one from the other.
That's a bit rich coming from someone who thinks their opinion of a dress is a fact. As for it being nominated, I had went to the film's Wikipedia page and didn't see it. My apologies (for that anyway, but not the rest).
Well if the sky is blue and most of the world seems to think it is, then that probably is the cause. Not always as there are a few exceptions to majority rules, but in general, that seems to be the way the world works (with the exception of a major case last year where majority rule sadly failed). And frankly, it's not difficult to take one look at Belle's dress and see that it is inferior in basically every way. Not just to Cinderella's dress but even to the costumes of BATB (this version and the French 2014 live-action one as well). Audra McDonald had two costumes both which were more stunning than anything Belle wears in the film, and yes, I'm including her final dress as well in that comparison. It's pretty, but people were once more comparing it to Cinderella's final dress (I hope that doesn't trigger you, my saying that) and stating that Cinderella's wins this comparison too.
ImageImage
Vlad
Collector's Edition

Post by Vlad »

Disney's Divinity wrote:
Sicoe Vlad wrote:The fact that the new Beauty and the Beast tried to make everything seem so real was the main problem. Cinderella did manage to have that fairy tale feel the original had. And I do agree that her dress is better and more beautiful than Belle’s. It’s fit for a princess, and it’s a joy to look at.

I agree that the LA dress does not compare to the animated film's design at all. But I do like it much better than the dress from Cinderella-LA's film (which also pales in comparison to the animated film's design, btw, which is probably my favorite Disney dress after Tiana's green bayou wedding dress). *shrug* Cinderella-LA has a better wedding dress though.
:lol: :lol: :lol: I feel so butch now, talking about Princess dresses.

But seriously, I think the live action Cinderella dress is better looking than Live action Belle’s dress. That one is so underwhelmingly simple in its design, it looks like a prom dress. I do think it’s pretty, but not suitable for a character like Belle. It does look beautiful in motion. The animated Belle’s dress is also very simple, but has a much better design. While Cinderella’s gown is much more intricate and classy. But not tacky.
Disney's Divinity

JeanGreyForever wrote: And I might remind you that it was you who brought up the topic of Cinderella's costumes first in this discussion as seen here.
You're right, because I could see what direction the thread was about to turn. Better to rip off the bandaid and jump straight down the rabbit hole, imo.
So if anyone is "trolling" by posting about Cinderella, it's you.
I know current politics usually requires labeling the other person what you yourself are to deflect and divert, but it still makes me laugh every time.
You bring up Cinderella just as much as Disney Duster and I, if not more than both of us combined, by bringing up incendiary comments about it in order to get a reaction out of someone.
If you want to take a tally, I'm sure if you were to go back in this thread, you would find 9 times out of 10, I did not bring Cinderella up first. Just last page Duster brought it up because he was dismayed the only thing he thought he had over B&tB (that Cinderella has better reviews) wasn't true and that they are seen pretty much equally. And then I responded. And I'm sure it'll be the same in The Little Mermaid-LA thread once it gears up because the world revolves around Cinderella, and moreover he has a jealousy of all the popular fairytales that aren't Cinderella. I know he drove off most of the B&tB fans back when. I thought if I put a nail in that coffin with B&tB-LA, I might be spared that shit when the TLM-LA gets closer down the pipeline.
Well if the sky is blue and most of the world seems to think it is
My bad, I didn't realize you'd met most of the world. Thanks for letting me know. I file that away to the appropriate place (the trashbin).
Sicoe Vlad wrote: :lol: :lol: :lol: I feel so butch now, talking about Princess dresses.
:lol: I always feel more masculine after having a bitchfight over dresses.
Vlad
Collector's Edition

Post by Vlad »

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
JeanGreyForever
Signature Collection

Disney's Divinity wrote:
JeanGreyForever wrote: And I might remind you that it was you who brought up the topic of Cinderella's costumes first in this discussion as seen here.
You're right, because I could see what direction the thread was about to turn. Better to rip off the bandaid and jump straight down the rabbit hole, imo.
You automatically assume the worst, and I might add that Cinderella is only the "worst" to you. You start raving whenever the film is even indirectly mentioned. Just look at the OUAT thread. I'm not a fan of the new season either, but you seemed to have formed your opinion entirely on the basis that they're using Cinderella's live-action dress. Never mind, that despite the dress, the season has nothing to do with the live-action film, but it's the reason for your ire if you can secretly admit it to yourself.
Disney's Divinity wrote:
JeanGreyForever wrote: So if anyone is "trolling" by posting about Cinderella, it's you.
I know current politics usually requires labeling the other person what you yourself are to deflect and divert, but it still makes me laugh every time.
Um, let's correct this statement. First of all, you were the one who called me and Disney Duster trolls first. So by your own logic of reasoning, that makes you the real troll, which is exactly why I called you that. Because when Duster and I bring up Cinderella, it's because we have something constructive to say, while you only bring the film up to get a rise out of someone. Maybe it brings you a cheap thrill, I don't know and I don't want to know. But that makes you the picture perfect definition of a troll. Literally everything you posted in the first quote of this post proves that. You assumed that Cinderella was going to be mentioned so you decided to bring it up first by attacking it as you always do.
Disney's Divinity wrote:
JeanGreyForever wrote: You bring up Cinderella just as much as Disney Duster and I, if not more than both of us combined, by bringing up incendiary comments about it in order to get a reaction out of someone.
If you want to take a tally, I'm sure if you were to go back in this thread, you would find 9 times out of 10, I did not bring Cinderella up first. Just last page Duster brought it up because he was dismayed the only thing he thought he had over B&tB (that Cinderella has better reviews) wasn't true and that they are seen pretty much equally. And then I responded. And I'm sure it'll be the same in The Little Mermaid-LA thread once it gears up because the world revolves around Cinderella, and moreover he has a jealousy of all the popular fairytales that aren't Cinderella. I know he drove off most of the B&tB fans back when. I thought if I put a nail in that coffin with B&tB-LA, I might be spared that shit when the TLM-LA gets closer down the pipeline.
At the top of page 82, you brought up Cinderella...again. With no prompting from anyone else.
Disney's Divinity wrote:I hope "Evermore" wins Best Song. I'm conflicted about Best Picture. On one hand, I'd like to see it nominated, but not win because the original is far superior. On the other hand, the idea of it being nominated/winning and all the Cinderella fans seething some more would be very enjoyable.
Literally the posts before that are just us ragging on Belle's dress again, but Cinderella isn't even mentioned or alluded to. You instantly get defensive right after that post and start calling out the Cinderella fans.
Disney's Divinity wrote:
tsom wrote: LOL, no shade, but it's not going to win Best Picture, or even be nominated.
I only discussed it because others were doing so. Why don't you reply to them? They might even appreciate the Cinderella worship since that's the only reason they come in the B&tB thread anyway.
Keep looking past that post, and Duster and I only talk about Cinderella in response to tsom's post since he posted the image of all the categories Disney submitted Cinderella for in the Oscars. We completely disregard your usual pessimistic post, because there's no substance in there to address.
After that, yes, Disney Duster does bring up Cinderella in order to talk about the reviews (this is still page 82) in comparison to Beauty and the Beast. Frankly, I'm not sure what review sites he was reading, because I read mostly positive reviews for Cinderella with only a few mixed/negative ones who weren't pleased with how similar this film was to the original. I think this film got that flack even more, because it was the first current live-action film to be so similar to the original if you consider Maleficent and Alice. Whereas even before BATB came out, we were discussing on here how the Rotten Tomatoes score was really low and how those early ratings just get lower as the film comes out. Indeed, I've seen far more mixed reviews on BATB than Cinderella. Some people praise it and call it even better than the original while others recognize it as being an empty cash-grab. It's debatable who's right or not, but BATB was far more mixed. At least from everything I've seen so far review-wise and that doesn't just include the typical IMDB, Rotten Tomatoes, Metacritic, etc.
Disney's Divinity wrote:
JeanGreyForever wrote: Well if the sky is blue and most of the world seems to think it is
My bad, I didn't realize you'd met most of the world. Thanks for letting me know. I file that away to the appropriate place (the trashbin).
If you have to resort to cheap fallacies to try and make an argument, then I think we're done here. At least this statement didn't contain a highly aggressive diatribe about Cinderella. Congratulations on formulating a whole sentence without mentioning it. In order for you to keep your praise, I'll pretend that you didn't mention it so many other times in the same post, because I think you really need this little bit of commendation.
ImageImage