The Walt Disney Signature Collection

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
pikachufan1336
Gold Classic Collection

Re: The Walt Disney Signature Collection

Post by pikachufan1336 »

JeanGreyForever wrote:
pikachufan1336 wrote:
I know Dumbo doesn't have the artistry that the others have but I don't think that's the point, the legacy of Dumbo is it's sharp writing, sophisticated simplicity, and high stakes, all while costing three dollars and a hot dog (figuratively), being sixty minutes long, and a main character who doesn't talk. It's considered a deity of animation, it was ranked #6 on Timeout.com's greatest animated films (voted by hundreds of experts, employees, and figures in the industry). So I get why that movie is alongside of the others as a legendary film. It's a perfect movie, hell I don't think Disney animation has made a perfect movie since Dumbo. Sleeping Beauty definitly takes risks but it doesn't really have the writing of the earlier 5 (say what you want about Aurora, but the only real reason to care about her is because the fairies care about her. The movie is about the fairies, which is great. But when the try to pull the pathos of a character in the way that they did with Snow White, it doesn't have the gravitas because.....we don't know Aurora.)

I never been that hard on Alice, it's based off of a book that relies on so much that can't be translated to film, more than most books do (certainly more than any other book adaptation Disney has done). That's not to say that I think it's a satisfying adaptation of Alice, like most things, the books is THE VERSION. And I'm also not implying that one should pessimistically lower their standards when walking into this film with only knowledge of the book, rather, it's comparing apples to oranges. So of course we have to have things like transitions or having a main character not be capable the entire time. Besides, the movie does get a lot of nuances from the book that most adaptations forget: the lack of a traditional antagonist (I don't care what Disney's marketing department tells me), no forced moral, how half of the time the wonderland characters don't even realize she's there, Alice not getting particularly close to any of the creatures in the vain of the Wizard of Oz, etc. I'm not saying I don't see where all the criticism is coming from, in fact in some cases I even agree. But I think out of ALL of the Disney movies, I think people are way to hard on. Even though it's considered a classic. It's easily the definitive FILM version of Alice, along with Jan Svankmajer's version, thought that's a completely different movie. The better version really depends on how you feel about the book and how you feel about adapting it to a visual medium. Also, Disney does give us an interesting and different version that the book. Even though I'm willing to rant about all of the inaccuracies over the Tim Burton sh- show. I prefer to see a different story or experience, rather than a movie adaptation that is so literal to the book, and therefore aggressively worthless, you fell as though you could just go to the library and read the book for free (Mia Farrow's Great Gatsby, for example). I can't say the same about Peter Pan. Which, compared to Alice, has a MUCH more traditional approach and doesn't get the original point at all. Alice was certainly more ambitious by every standard, even if it's not a very satisfying adaptation it at least went there. Alice was more experimental, better looking, more interesting, Kathryn Beaumont was more interesting, etc. Sure it didn't have much of a plot, but it's Alice in Wonderland it's not supposed to. I love Peter Pan, but it's like comparing Mrs. Doubtfire to Tootsie, the former is a less good version of the ladder. But that's just me.

Though you make a good point about the 40's vs. 50's debate. I don't think the differences es are THAT Staggering, but I can certainly see it. Even though I do think the 40's were the better decade, you're right, I shouldn't be so dismissive of the others. Besides, I have realized I've watched the 50's movies much more than the 40's movies. :)
I've never understood why so many people have never been found of Alice. I suppose, however, my opinion was always biased, because the book is one of my favorites so all the things that bothered other people never bothered me. Usually the most frequent complains are that the film is too episodic, not enough of a narrative, too crazy, or that Alice is either uninteresting or too Britsh which makes her difficult to relate to. I never had issues with any of these things, and frankly all of these complaints could be used to describe the book too, so clearly the detractors would never like Alice in Wonderland in any format. I think the book is one of the most difficult to adapt, because much of it relies on word play as well as historical references that are antiquated now. The former especially becomes very difficult to translate on screen, if you can't see the text in front of you. I think Alice manages to pull it off well though through animation as a medium, because they are able to show off some of that wordplay through the bizarre creations in the Tulgey Wood, but mainly because the songs use actual text from the book, so the text is still in the film in a way.

I know Walt was never a fan of the movie himself, nor were audiences at the time, but I'm glad he still ended up making it, because it has always resonated with me (I'm not sure what that says about me lol). I do know that Walt felt pressured to make this film, and especially try and make it accurate, because he knew not alone how beloved it was, but also how literary purists were so protective of it, that it wasn't a film he could tamper with too much. For that, I'm very glad he made it the way he did. I wish he had kept a similar attitude when it came to Peter Pan. Yes, it may follow the plotline for the most part of the original book, but the spirit of the book is not really there at all. Peter Pan may not be as beloved as Alice in Wonderland, but I would have preferred a truer book adaptation like the Peter Pan 2003 live-action film, which I've heard many people not only call the definitive version of the story, but also what many people think Walt would have wanted his film to be more like. It's no suprise that he was bothered by Peter Pan's portrayal in the film, and I can't help but wonder if part of that reason was the voice casting. I know that Bobby Driscoll was a favorite of the studio at that time (not that it ended up doing him any good), but in no way did his growing voice fit a boy who never grows up. And frankly, even his appearance was just very odd. I don't even mean the tights and elven ears which never made sense with the character, but the fact that he basically looked like Lampwick's big brother (not even little brother) and Lampwick was never a particularly good-looking character. Considering that Peter Pan is supposed to be a beautiful child and even with his darker side, he has the ability to charm anyone with his eyes and mischevious grin, but all of that is missing in the film. He is certainly not beautiful on the outside, and his inner self might be missing the darkness of the book, but it certainly isn't a very pretty sight either. He lacks any of the charm to excuse his despicable personality as he epitomizes the worst aspects of males from the 50s. Even Wendy, imo, gets the worst 50s attributes from women in the 50s, and all of this is especially a shame because of how well Cinderella and Lady and the Tramp blended the 50s era with their respective time periods from the films. Why Peter Pan failed so much in that respect, I don't understand. I won't get started on Hook either. I'm not sure why he is rated so highly except for his comedy with Smee and the crocodile I guess. Frankly, I would laugh more at him than with him. He's not threatening or dangerous at all to play off one of the most iconic villains ever...he's nothing but a foppish fool who the real Captain Hook would gut in an instant. Anyway, I won't rant about this film much longer, because I'm sure I've done so before and I have a difficulty to stop when I start.

I think one of the reasons the 40s gets the reputation it does compared to the 50s, is because the 50s is considered to be more frivolous. It lacks the darker scenes from the first five films, such as Snow White in the forest, anything with the Evil Queen or Stromboli or the Coachman, Bambi's mother's death, Chernabog, Dumbo's separation from his mother. The later films don't ever reach that same level of pulling at your heartstrings or frightening you to wit's end. People seem to claim that Disney was now afraid of going all out as they once had, and going for more family friendly material. I suppose part of that could be attributed to the more conservative 50s era, but honestly, most of the films that were released in that era anyway wouldn't have worked with the 40s "tar and sugar" (as the unshavedmouse calls it) style. Cinderella was never a dark fairy tale and unlike Snow White, it's supposed to be oppulent and sumptious with grand palaces and elegant balls and gorgeous costumes. Lady and the Tramp was first and foremost a love story. Alice in Wonderland isn't a dark book by any means and although the David Hall concept art from the 40s is stunning, and a film I would definitely love to watch, I wouldn't replace the Alice we got now with it because the one we have is the far more true Alice. Peter Pan is the one exception to this era considering that if any film did need the 40s treatment for more mature themes and darker scenes, this is the one. Which is why I would have loved to have seen David Hall's version for it from the concept art he did in the 40s. I especially prefer Peter's design with him looking much younger (like an actual child rather than a teenager), and not at all like Lampwick, along with the blonde hair (which is how he was mostly pictured before Disney) and the red outfit since green was never accurate despite common belief anyway. I also liked that Wendy looked much younger (around 8 which is what she is believed to be in the book I think) to match Peter, and I also liked the black hair she had to contrast Peter's fair hair. But anyway, the other exception is Sleeping Beauty, although this is a proper exception because while it may never get as mature as the early five films, it does have that same level of darkness in it.

The 50s era was probably my favorite at one time, closely tied with the Renaissance. I've come to appreciate the 40s era more, and realize the faults of some of the 50s films now, but otherwise I might have called this one the most classically Disney.
I have noticed that about Alice in terms of the criticism it gets. General movie fans get mad because it's episodic, pointless, etc. the problem with that is... it's Alice in Wonderland, it's supposed to.
Then film critics, or at least a good portion of them, claim that it's not "Alice in Wonderland" enough. Which brings to my previous point of where the line draws between adaptations. I hate to be "this guy", but in both cases it's rather ignorant, it's missing the Forrest from the trees. I'm not saying Alice is a perfect movie by any standards, but it certainly does deserve more "forgiveness" if you catch my drift.

I think the problem with Peter Pan (though it's a personal favorite), is that they change the complex theme of "growing up is inevitable and necessary but don't loose all of it" into "never grow up!".
The result is a climax with a villain-victim relationship that can't decide if it wants to be serious (Snow White vs. The Queen) or comical, to a degree that it's not much of a threat (Alice vs. The Queen of Hearts). It jumps back and forth, and neither version work because Peter is not the innocent and gullible of Snow White, or the naive yet acquisitive Alice. The one who's REALLY at Danger is Wendy, this story is really about her. Kinda like with Sleeping Beauty, we only care about X character because of a link with another, not because we are worried or care about X character specifically. There is actually a reason for this, and this brings to my second point of 40's vs 50s. In the first 5, Walt was OCD, every corner cut, glossed up and brought to perfection. If you asked him a question he would give you explicit detail. After the War, the dissapointing losses of Pinocchio, Fantasia, and Bambi, The strike, etc., he was a changed man. By the time Cinderella came out he was the exact opposite of that: you ask him a question and his answer will most likely be "I don't know what do you think?"
Frank Thomas had this problem with Captain Hook, is he comedic or serious, he asked Walt and he basically gave Frank that response. Again the 50s movies are great, but Walt Disney didn't have the level of input in those films as he did in the first five, and it shows.
Disney Duster
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Post by Disney Duster »

pikachufan1336 wrote:I would never say they were B list. I mean they have a reputation of being B list, especially compared to the first 5 Disney movies (Hell Lady and the Tramp was probably the only Disney movie of that decade that Walt was completely satisfied with). Personally I love those films. Sure I can't pretend that they have the level of artistic integrity that the Disney movies of the early 40's had. But they're still great! Honestly the 50s is THE best decade for Disney because, in my opinion, it's the only decade where ALL of their animated films are fantastic.
Oh, so you think it's just that people consider them B list. Ok. They shouldn't be though. But why do you think Lady and the Tramp is the only film Walt was fully satisfied with? Wasn't he satisfied with all of the 40's ones and all the 50's ones minus Alice and Sleeping Beauty?

I don't think Jan Svankmajer's Alice was a good film at all and don't think it's the definitive version.
JeanGreyForever wrote:I think the problem with Cinderella's overexposure is not the overexposure itself, but how she's exposed. People only see her as the headliner of the DP franchise which waters down all the princesses, especially the three classic ones, into generic templates who share the same handful of stock traits. Cinderella now is only marketed to sell dolls, tiaras, costumes, etc. and has been robbed of all of her lovable personality from the original film.

Yeah, the restoration probably doesn't affect sales, as much as I wish it would. I was theorizing that maybe since the Diamond Edition was the same as the flawed Platinum Edition, that maybe some people didn't see the point to upgrade. I'm hoping that the combination of Cinderella's Diamond Edition not selling well, and Disney knowing that they botched this restoration, means that we might be able to get a proper restoration in the future. Obviously low sales haven't affected Beauty and the Beast, which is one of the top-selling titles, which is why Disney has had no financial reason to fix the transfer, but maybe Disney will feel like they need to create another incentive for people to buy Cinderella.
Oh, ok. I agree. But as an aside, why do you feel Beauty and the Beast's transfer is wrong when the original creators of it said the new transfer is brighter because when they originally made the film it ended up being darker on film than they wanted? Only the shot after "Something There" is what I find wrong with the transfer. Oh, and I think Walt's Alice in Wonderland is a great movie! In order for it to be better (i.e. more emotion, narrative) they would have to change so many things for it than the way it was in the book! Oh, and I thought Peter Pan's outfit was made from green leaves.
JeanGreyForever
Signature Collection

Post by JeanGreyForever »

Disney Duster wrote:
pikachufan1336 wrote:I would never say they were B list. I mean they have a reputation of being B list, especially compared to the first 5 Disney movies (Hell Lady and the Tramp was probably the only Disney movie of that decade that Walt was completely satisfied with). Personally I love those films. Sure I can't pretend that they have the level of artistic integrity that the Disney movies of the early 40's had. But they're still great! Honestly the 50s is THE best decade for Disney because, in my opinion, it's the only decade where ALL of their animated films are fantastic.
Oh, so you think it's just that people consider them B list. Ok. They shouldn't be though. But why do you think Lady and the Tramp is the only film Walt was fully satisfied with? Wasn't he satisfied with all of the 40's ones and all the 50's ones minus Alice and Sleeping Beauty?

I don't think Jan Svankmajer's Alice was a good film at all and don't think it's the definitive version.
JeanGreyForever wrote:I think the problem with Cinderella's overexposure is not the overexposure itself, but how she's exposed. People only see her as the headliner of the DP franchise which waters down all the princesses, especially the three classic ones, into generic templates who share the same handful of stock traits. Cinderella now is only marketed to sell dolls, tiaras, costumes, etc. and has been robbed of all of her lovable personality from the original film.

Yeah, the restoration probably doesn't affect sales, as much as I wish it would. I was theorizing that maybe since the Diamond Edition was the same as the flawed Platinum Edition, that maybe some people didn't see the point to upgrade. I'm hoping that the combination of Cinderella's Diamond Edition not selling well, and Disney knowing that they botched this restoration, means that we might be able to get a proper restoration in the future. Obviously low sales haven't affected Beauty and the Beast, which is one of the top-selling titles, which is why Disney has had no financial reason to fix the transfer, but maybe Disney will feel like they need to create another incentive for people to buy Cinderella.
Oh, ok. I agree. But as an aside, why do you feel Beauty and the Beast's transfer is wrong when the original creators of it said the new transfer is brighter because when they originally made the film it ended up being darker on film than they wanted? Only the shot after "Something There" is what I find wrong with the transfer. Oh, and I think Walt's Alice in Wonderland is a great movie! In order for it to be better (i.e. more emotion, narrative) they would have to change so many things for it than the way it was in the book! Oh, and I thought Peter Pan's outfit was made from green leaves.
Because what the creators said about Beauty and the Beast supposedly applied to the 3D transfer, which interestingly enough is the closet to the original film's colors (although Belle's dress in the 3D transfer is very yellow unlike the original gold. But movie stills from 1991 show a yellow gold so it's tricky to tell). However, if this was the case, then why did Disney release the 2D Diamond Edition with a completely different transfer from the 3D transfer? Especially when other Disney 3D Releases (Lion King, Little Mermaid) don't have different color transfers between the 2D and 3D editions. On top of that, when Disney was releasing the Signature Edition, this would have been the chance for them to bring back the "true" color transfer which is supposedly the 3D Diamond transfer according to the creators of BATB. Yet, they still used the 2D Diamond transfer which really isn't that different from the Platinum Edition transfer which was also very wrong. As you can see, BATB has a very convoluted history of multiple transfers. What I especially love is how some people defend the 2D Diamond/Signature transfer, even though Belle's hair looks very red, the enchanted rose is very dull and barely glows, and the white pages of Belle's book, or Mrs. Potts and Chip, look pinkish compared to the pristine white color they all are in the 3D Diamond transfer.

The Something There transfer shot is still an issue that Disney has not fixed twice now. I think the issue isn't on the "Theatrical" edition, just the "Special Edition Extended" one. However, there was another I posted in the BATB thread a while back which someone on bluray.com found. There's a weird error in the background in the scene when the Beast is waiting for Belle to come to dinner, right by Lumiere.

I'm definitely glad with the Alice we got. If anything, I just wish we could see even more scrapped songs/scenes from the film, because there are so many from so many different iterations that Walt was working on. The scene where Alice is crying in the Tulgey Woods, was originally supposed to feature the White Knight, a character from Alice Through the Looking Glass. In both books, he is the only character sympathetic to her, so it would have been really neat to see him in a scene which many people criticize for being not emotional enough or unnecessary (and Walt added because he felt as though people wouldn't relate to Alice and she needed audiences to feel for her). I also loved the Cheshire Cat's I'm Odd song. My knowledge of the film is a little shaky right now, but I think the song was cut because they wanted to have the Chesire Cat sing the Jabberwocky song instead, but then that was also cut or something like that. Someone else probably knows better. I really like the song and wish the Cheshire Cat would still sing it. I also wish Humpty Dumpty could have made it in and then he could sing the Jabberwocky song since he is the original character who says the poem in Alice Through the Looking Glass. This film lends itself to so many great scenes that if the film hadn't been a flop, I wish Walt could have let his animators make shorts out of more scenes of Wonderland and Looking-Glass Land from the books that didn't make it into the film.

In the book, Peter Pan wears skeleton leaves.
http://www.springhole.net/writing/peter ... nflubs.htm
http://www.bookdrum.com/books/peter-pan ... 14690.html

I think the play describes tree sap juices and maybe berries as well, but I can't remember.
Skeleton leaves were created by Victorian women and they were essentially the veins of leaves that were bleached to create a white color. I'm assuming Peter wore skeleton leaves that were not artifically bleached (where would he get bleach on Neverland?), so I don't think his leaves would necessarily be white, but I'm not sure what the natural color would be for them then. However, at the same time, Peter Pan has access to many items in the book that he wouldn't naturally find in Neverland. The acorn that he gives Wendy is commonly misconstrued as an actual acorn (the live-action 2003 film also makes this mistake).

http://hookswaltz.blogspot.com/2013/08/ ... utton.html

In fact, what Peter gave Wendy would have been an acorn button which was common in Victorian times, and wasn't an actual acorn at all. This is why Wendy is so easily able to make it into a necklace because an acorn button would already have a hole in it. They're not very well known now, which is why most people assume it was an actual acorn from nature. That, and also because, I think it makes more sense to people that Peter Pan would be able to find an acorn from Neverland rather than an acorn button, although I suppose anything is possible in Neverland. The point is that, it wouldn't be impossible for Peter to have access to the skeleton leaves created by Victorian women.

This is a good image of Peter Pan wearing skeleton leaves.
https://i.ytimg.com/vi/uSRgCvo7rN8/hqdefault.jpg

You'll also see that he is wearing a shirt rather than basically going half-naked or wearing a Robin Hood type of ensemble. He is described as wearing a shirt in the book as well which would look something like in the above link or else the below link. Also he doesn't wear shoes which Disney added. Same with the Darling children.
http://www.art-dolls-lena.com/Art-Dolls ... er-Pan.php

The blonde hair, blue eyes isn't really mentioned in the book. I think because he is supposed to be a beautiful, angelic-looking child, people usually associate him as blonde with blue eyes. The live-action film also perpetuated that. I have a copy of the book with the original illustrations and while they are all black and white, one illustration gives him yellow hair. The red costume came up sometimes as well in the pre-Disney years. The Peter Pan official sequel book also established that in the Fall, his leaf costume is red because it is made out of autumnal leaves, so Disney's concept version of him would have fit. I quite look the combo of blonde hair in red, especially since Wendy's colors are the opposite in those concept pics with black hair in light blue. You'll see Hook in light blue, blue, or black sometimes as well before Disney made the red popular. Tinker Bell is also supposed to be completely white (not to mention before Disney, she was only a shining light, not an actual humanoid figure). Female fairies are white, male fairies are mauve, and fairies who are blue don't know their gender.
ImageImage
We’re a dyad in the Force. Two that are one.
"I offered you my hand once. You wanted to take it." - Kylo Ren
"I did want to take your hand. Ben's hand." - Rey
JeanGreyForever
Signature Collection

pikachufan1336 wrote:
JeanGreyForever wrote: I've never understood why so many people have never been found of Alice. I suppose, however, my opinion was always biased, because the book is one of my favorites so all the things that bothered other people never bothered me. Usually the most frequent complains are that the film is too episodic, not enough of a narrative, too crazy, or that Alice is either uninteresting or too Britsh which makes her difficult to relate to. I never had issues with any of these things, and frankly all of these complaints could be used to describe the book too, so clearly the detractors would never like Alice in Wonderland in any format. I think the book is one of the most difficult to adapt, because much of it relies on word play as well as historical references that are antiquated now. The former especially becomes very difficult to translate on screen, if you can't see the text in front of you. I think Alice manages to pull it off well though through animation as a medium, because they are able to show off some of that wordplay through the bizarre creations in the Tulgey Wood, but mainly because the songs use actual text from the book, so the text is still in the film in a way.

I know Walt was never a fan of the movie himself, nor were audiences at the time, but I'm glad he still ended up making it, because it has always resonated with me (I'm not sure what that says about me lol). I do know that Walt felt pressured to make this film, and especially try and make it accurate, because he knew not alone how beloved it was, but also how literary purists were so protective of it, that it wasn't a film he could tamper with too much. For that, I'm very glad he made it the way he did. I wish he had kept a similar attitude when it came to Peter Pan. Yes, it may follow the plotline for the most part of the original book, but the spirit of the book is not really there at all. Peter Pan may not be as beloved as Alice in Wonderland, but I would have preferred a truer book adaptation like the Peter Pan 2003 live-action film, which I've heard many people not only call the definitive version of the story, but also what many people think Walt would have wanted his film to be more like. It's no suprise that he was bothered by Peter Pan's portrayal in the film, and I can't help but wonder if part of that reason was the voice casting. I know that Bobby Driscoll was a favorite of the studio at that time (not that it ended up doing him any good), but in no way did his growing voice fit a boy who never grows up. And frankly, even his appearance was just very odd. I don't even mean the tights and elven ears which never made sense with the character, but the fact that he basically looked like Lampwick's big brother (not even little brother) and Lampwick was never a particularly good-looking character. Considering that Peter Pan is supposed to be a beautiful child and even with his darker side, he has the ability to charm anyone with his eyes and mischevious grin, but all of that is missing in the film. He is certainly not beautiful on the outside, and his inner self might be missing the darkness of the book, but it certainly isn't a very pretty sight either. He lacks any of the charm to excuse his despicable personality as he epitomizes the worst aspects of males from the 50s. Even Wendy, imo, gets the worst 50s attributes from women in the 50s, and all of this is especially a shame because of how well Cinderella and Lady and the Tramp blended the 50s era with their respective time periods from the films. Why Peter Pan failed so much in that respect, I don't understand. I won't get started on Hook either. I'm not sure why he is rated so highly except for his comedy with Smee and the crocodile I guess. Frankly, I would laugh more at him than with him. He's not threatening or dangerous at all to play off one of the most iconic villains ever...he's nothing but a foppish fool who the real Captain Hook would gut in an instant. Anyway, I won't rant about this film much longer, because I'm sure I've done so before and I have a difficulty to stop when I start.

I think one of the reasons the 40s gets the reputation it does compared to the 50s, is because the 50s is considered to be more frivolous. It lacks the darker scenes from the first five films, such as Snow White in the forest, anything with the Evil Queen or Stromboli or the Coachman, Bambi's mother's death, Chernabog, Dumbo's separation from his mother. The later films don't ever reach that same level of pulling at your heartstrings or frightening you to wit's end. People seem to claim that Disney was now afraid of going all out as they once had, and going for more family friendly material. I suppose part of that could be attributed to the more conservative 50s era, but honestly, most of the films that were released in that era anyway wouldn't have worked with the 40s "tar and sugar" (as the unshavedmouse calls it) style. Cinderella was never a dark fairy tale and unlike Snow White, it's supposed to be oppulent and sumptious with grand palaces and elegant balls and gorgeous costumes. Lady and the Tramp was first and foremost a love story. Alice in Wonderland isn't a dark book by any means and although the David Hall concept art from the 40s is stunning, and a film I would definitely love to watch, I wouldn't replace the Alice we got now with it because the one we have is the far more true Alice. Peter Pan is the one exception to this era considering that if any film did need the 40s treatment for more mature themes and darker scenes, this is the one. Which is why I would have loved to have seen David Hall's version for it from the concept art he did in the 40s. I especially prefer Peter's design with him looking much younger (like an actual child rather than a teenager), and not at all like Lampwick, along with the blonde hair (which is how he was mostly pictured before Disney) and the red outfit since green was never accurate despite common belief anyway. I also liked that Wendy looked much younger (around 8 which is what she is believed to be in the book I think) to match Peter, and I also liked the black hair she had to contrast Peter's fair hair. But anyway, the other exception is Sleeping Beauty, although this is a proper exception because while it may never get as mature as the early five films, it does have that same level of darkness in it.

The 50s era was probably my favorite at one time, closely tied with the Renaissance. I've come to appreciate the 40s era more, and realize the faults of some of the 50s films now, but otherwise I might have called this one the most classically Disney.
I have noticed that about Alice in terms of the criticism it gets. General movie fans get mad because it's episodic, pointless, etc. the problem with that is... it's Alice in Wonderland, it's supposed to.
Then film critics, or at least a good portion of them, claim that it's not "Alice in Wonderland" enough. Which brings to my previous point of where the line draws between adaptations. I hate to be "this guy", but in both cases it's rather ignorant, it's missing the Forrest from the trees. I'm not saying Alice is a perfect movie by any standards, but it certainly does deserve more "forgiveness" if you catch my drift.

I think the problem with Peter Pan (though it's a personal favorite), is that they change the complex theme of "growing up is inevitable and necessary but don't loose all of it" into "never grow up!".
The result is a climax with a villain-victim relationship that can't decide if it wants to be serious (Snow White vs. The Queen) or comical, to a degree that it's not much of a threat (Alice vs. The Queen of Hearts). It jumps back and forth, and neither version work because Peter is not the innocent and gullible of Snow White, or the naive yet acquisitive Alice. The one who's REALLY at Danger is Wendy, this story is really about her. Kinda like with Sleeping Beauty, we only care about X character because of a link with another, not because we are worried or care about X character specifically. There is actually a reason for this, and this brings to my second point of 40's vs 50s. In the first 5, Walt was OCD, every corner cut, glossed up and brought to perfection. If you asked him a question he would give you explicit detail. After the War, the dissapointing losses of Pinocchio, Fantasia, and Bambi, The strike, etc., he was a changed man. By the time Cinderella came out he was the exact opposite of that: you ask him a question and his answer will most likely be "I don't know what do you think?"
Frank Thomas had this problem with Captain Hook, is he comedic or serious, he asked Walt and he basically gave Frank that response. Again the 50s movies are great, but Walt Disney didn't have the level of input in those films as he did in the first five, and it shows.
This is why I basically ignore criticism that the Alice film gets, because what most people feel are issues with the film, are essentially issues with the source material. They clearly would not like the book much more either. I think similar movies like Pinocchio and The Wizard of Oz, which have a much tighter narrative, also make them expect Alice to be more similar in that respect. Which is ironic, because the Pinocchio book is basically all over the place like Alice. And The Wizard of Oz, might be more of a single narrative compared to Pinocchio and Alice, but especially when compared to the movie, it's pretty episodic as well. That's not even looking at later books in the series. Even the Peter Pan book is pretty episodic since the Darlings stay in Neverland for months, so the narrator basically just picks pieces of their most interesting adventures to tell readers.

The original book of Peter Pan explains that when Wendy grew up, she was very glad to do so. The movie challenges this a little, but I do believe they manage, at least by the end, to convince the audience that growing up is bound to happen and something that isn't bad. The harsh treatment Wendy gets in Neverland is meant to show her that being a child eternally really isn't that great and that she should want to grow up. That's also pretty different from the book, partially because the movie seems to try and use Wendy's gender to explain why she receives so much trouble in Neverland, which goes back to my saying that the film took the worst elements of the 50s in the treatment of the different sexes (something that thankfully Cinderella and Lady and the Tramp manage to avoid). In the book, outside of being shot down by Tinker Bell, nothing really bad happens to her until being captured, but otherwise her only disillusionment with Neverland is when Peter tells her that he will never love her as anything beyond a mother. I think what the film really fails in though, is that it tries to portray that even though Wendy and everyone else must grow up, Peter Pan will remain eternally a child (or should I say teenager), and that is something from our childhoods we can always look back on favorably. It paints his eternal youth in a very nostalgic and dreamy way. The book does the exact opposite by pointing out the flaws of eternal youth. Yes, it seems fun, but a child is essentially a sociopath who can have no feelings or regard for others until the child begins development to learn empathy. Since Peter lacks this maturation and development, his only feelings are for himself. This renders him very callous and cruel, hence why he kills his Lost Boys if they grow up, likes to wait until the last minute to save Michael and John from drowning, and even then, as Wendy notes, only because he finds it amusing and not because he values their lives. His forgetful nature of important facts shows that he is not reliable and values very little of anything because he lives in the moment. He cannot remember the past and the future is of no consequence to him either. So Peter is painted in a very tragic light by showing that remaining eternally a child robs him of life's great pleasures (such as love) and that he will never really be happy, but nor will he ever realize this either. Hence, the darker tone to Peter that the Disney film completely ignores. I suppose for a Disney brand that caters to children, it sort of makes sense, and in that regard, it's no wonder that this film so embodies Disney especially with the dreamy ride in the Disney Parks. Still, I wish we could have gotten more of that darkness, or at least mature themes, that I think the 40s Peter Pan script seemed to promise. The only 50s Disney film, I'm not a fan of and feel is an unsuccesful adaptation of its source material unlike Cinderella, Alice, and Sleeping Beauty.

Yes, by the 50s, I know Walt's interest in animation was waning. I didn't realize that even by Cinderella he had lost interest. I would have thought his interest in animation would have been reignited since this was his technical first feature film since Bambi, not to mention, since he specifically related to Cinderella's rags to riches transformation. Not surprised about Alice, Peter Pan, and Sleeping Beauty, since he had issues with all three of them, although I've never felt the same for the former and the latter.

I'm not very pleased with Disney's treatment of Hook either. The character should really be much along the lines of the male version of the Queen from Snow White. A devastatingly beautiful character in appearance and equally captivating, but one who chills you to the core at the same time. He shouldn't be comic relief at all. There were certainly elements of Hook that made him a bit of a dandy from his Eton upbringing, and as such, much like the Queen places value on her physical beauty and vanity, Hook's value would be on his genteel upbringing and especially good form, even if he doesn't always prescribe to the latter when it suits him. But he certainly wouldn't let anyone else know that. Yet, the Hook of the film not only does not value good form, but is never menacing at all, and even when he's killing his own men, it's played off as comedy.
ImageImage
DisneyFan09
Platinum Edition

Post by DisneyFan09 »

JeanGreyForever wrote:Because before the princess line, Disney had fairy tale films, not princess films. The princess line alienates boys and makes them reluctant to watch films like Cinderella and Sleeping Beauty, Cinderella especially because she is the epitome of the princess line. Not to mention, there are many parents who did not want their daughters exposed to what they consider the princess stereotype which is why we have articles like What's Wrong With Cinderella? from the New York Times. I'm sure there was always a little bit of stereotyping the genders befoore the princess line, but it's so rampant and everywhere with so much pink and sparkles now that while back in the 80s and 90s, some boys may have turned their noses up at DP films, a much larger portion of them certainly do now.
You pretty much nailed the problem with the stigma of the Princess brand, why it actually alienates boys and has gotten such a bad stamp! It's certainly true that before the Princess brand, the fairy tale pictures were mostly labeled as that; fairy tale pictures. It seems like the Princess lineup has actually changed how people refer them to as "Princess" movies, even the crew at Disney (which was certainly evident by how the creators of The Princess and the Frog labeled that movie as a "Princess"-movie on the press release).
And sure, since that brand actually fueled that bad reputation, it's no wonder why the naysayers have had so much against it. Yet it's remarkable to think how the brand has influenced people's perception of Disney fairy tale movies. Since it was used as a tool to promote the first Princesses of the Revival era, it's no wonder that it was instantly perceived as a manufactured gimmick.

While that being said, the bad stamp about girl movies has existed before. Perhaps not in the same manufactured way, but the stamp about how the norm of boys not being allowed to like girly things has always been existent. I remember when Pocahontas came out (despite me having a fetish for girly things as a kid, Pocahontas was the first of the pictures from the nineties which I truly loved), I was getting told to not have merchandise because of it being a girly picture, by a female friend of mine at the time, actually (of course I've experienced the stamp about other girl things, but since we're talking about Disney, Pocahontas is relevant on this case ;)). So the case about the girl-stamp being bad has been prominent a long time, not just currently (and yes, it may seem rhetorical, but it's true).
JeanGreyForever
Signature Collection

DisneyFan09 wrote:
JeanGreyForever wrote: While that being said, the bad stamp about girl movies has existed before. Perhaps not in the same manufactured way, but the stamp about how the norm of boys not being allowed to like girly things has always been existent. I remember when Pocahontas came out (despite me having a fetish for girly things as a kid, Pocahontas was the first of the pictures from the nineties which I truly loved), I was getting told to not have merchandise because of it being a girly picture, by a female friend of mine at the time, actually (of course I've experienced the stamp about other girl things, but since we're talking about Disney, Pocahontas is relevant on this case ;)). So the case about the girl-stamp being bad has been prominent a long time, not just currently (and yes, it may seem rhetorical, but it's true).
Agreed. It's present everywhere in society, not just Disney. But even in Walt's time, there are signs like how he believed Pollyanna didn't do well because it didn't attract the male gender to watch it. Even how in Peter Pan merchandise, Michael will be wearing red or any other color besides pink, while Wendy might be in pink instead of blue. And of course, Disney thought Oliver & Company would be more successful than The Little Mermaid because the former is not a girl's film. Interesting, how different they react when it comes to merchandise since they note that the "boy films" like Hercules and Tarzan never sell as well.
ImageImage
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

Thanks for all that info JeanGreyForever! So much about Peter Pan and Beauty and the Beast's transfer and the princess brand and "girly" films even Walt was worried about. I'm wondering if Peter would have actually looked kind of naked if he wore skeleton leaves, since they are transparent except for the veins! But I think I agree with Disney saying being an eternal child is a good thing and not bad. Yes, Peter misses out on romantic love, but when you think about how great childhood nostalgia is, I wonder if it's a good trade off. I know it's not being faithful to the book, and if that's what you think is most important, then I suppose you're right that Disney should have stayed true to that instead. Then again, sometime adaptations purposely decide to go against their source material because they think it is wrong, or they just think they have a better way, or just want to try a different way (Stanley Kubrick's The Shining is a good example of a movie that is unfaithful to the book but probably for the better). Oh, but I do think Walt's Peter is really cute. If he was 18...I would want him, lol. As for Beauty and the Beast's transfer, I don't remember if they came out about wanting the brighter colors for the 3D release or an earlier release. I am not convinced the 3D transfer was necessarily the right one. Mainly because, like you said, the latest transfer has the brighter colors. I don't remember if the "Something There" wrong shot is in the Theatrical version or not. I thought the problem was it was in the Theatrical Version because I think the Special Edition Version is supposed to have that shot as it was part of "Human Again".

DisneyFan09, ah, I'm sorry that sucks about liking stuff that society (and your own friends!) told you was just for girls.

Honestly it's so sexist. Girls are allowed to like boy things but not vice versa.
JeanGreyForever
Signature Collection

Disney Duster wrote:Thanks for all that info JeanGreyForever! So much about Peter Pan and Beauty and the Beast's transfer and the princess brand and "girly" films even Walt was worried about. I'm wondering if Peter would have actually looked kind of naked if he wore skeleton leaves, since they are transparent except for the veins! But I think I agree with Disney saying being an eternal child is a good thing and not bad. Yes, Peter misses out on romantic love, but when you think about how great childhood nostalgia is, I wonder if it's a good trade off. I know it's not being faithful to the book, and if that's what you think is most important, then I suppose you're right that Disney should have stayed true to that instead. Then again, sometime adaptations purposely decide to go against their source material because they think it is wrong, or they just think they have a better way, or just want to try a different way (Stanley Kubrick's The Shining is a good example of a movie that is unfaithful to the book but probably for the better). Oh, but I do think Walt's Peter is really cute. If he was 18...I would want him, lol. As for Beauty and the Beast's transfer, I don't remember if they came out about wanting the brighter colors for the 3D release or an earlier release. I am not convinced the 3D transfer was necessarily the right one. Mainly because, like you said, the latest transfer has the brighter colors. I don't remember if the "Something There" wrong shot is in the Theatrical version or not. I thought the problem was it was in the Theatrical Version because I think the Special Edition Version is supposed to have that shot as it was part of "Human Again".

DisneyFan09, ah, I'm sorry that sucks about liking stuff that society (and your own friends!) told you was just for girls.

Honestly it's so sexist. Girls are allowed to like boy things but not vice versa.
For the skeleton leaves, I think like in the picture I posted above (https://i.ytimg.com/vi/uSRgCvo7rN8/hqdefault.jpg), his short would be composed of so many skeleton leaves that they wouldn't like transparent because they are topped one over another. Also the leaves could just be colored to look more opague in animation than transparent.

Childhood nostalgia though is very different from literally always remaining a child. You can look back at your childhood, and keep the most important parts of it with you, without regressing on your own development and maturity. Peter has no maturity or development at all, which basically leaves him a little sociopath who has no regard for other people's feelings. The world (Neverland) literally revolves around him which doesn't help. Disney didn't do a good enough job of highlighting either his best traits from the book, nor his worst. Instead they just made him a jerk who reminds me of a lot of the male population from the 1950s. Also, in the book, you get signs that Peter is missing out on a lot. He has these awful nightmares and we are never told what they are but only Wendy is able to comfort him. The fact that only he will remain a child forever, means he will forever be alone. Tinker Bell (unlike in Disney) will die within a year and the Lost Boys grow up as well or leave him with the Darlings, and Hook is also dead by the end. So Peter will never have anyone with him and his constant forgetful nature is probably to compensate for this loneliness and why he only experiences the fright of being abandoned and alone in his nightmares, because they remain a part of his unconscious. Wendy is really the only person he doesn't forget (forever anyway...he does have a habit of forgetting even her sometimes but he always remembers her even if takes years), and him taking each of her "daughters" from generation through generation is essentially his way of always having "Wendy" by his side because it is described as though he considers each descendant of Wendy to be basically Wendy herself or a Wendy-enough substitute to fill the void in him. He never wanted her to leave, but she wanted to grow up and he didn't. It's quite clear that Peter wants a family, but he's too stubborn to leave his childhood behind permanently so hence why the two have to part. It's more fleshed out in the 2003 live-action film, which unlike the book, basically does tell us that Peter wants a relationship with Wendy and even a family, but he's too afraid of growing up so he won't chance it.

I don't have an issue with adaptations that are different if they improve on the original source material. For example, Pinocchio is way different from the book, but I think it has bettered from that. The Wizard of Oz greatly changes the Wicked Witch but for the better. Even The Little Mermaid, Beauty and the Beast, and Aladdin have a lot of changes from the original fairy tales, but I don't think they suffer from those changes at all. The stories are even more iconic today because of those changes in fact. However, not everything needs to be changed (Cinderella, Snow White, Winnie the Pooh, 101 Dalmatians, Alice in Wonderland), and I think Peter Pan was more in the latter camp, at least if it had been created in the 40s. By the 50s, I understand he wanted something more superficial that paints eternal childhood in a romantic light rather than a tragic one, and it did work better for that era. But I think it would have resonated more today if they hadn't gone that route. Especially, since Peter Pan is a literary classic and I never like changing those in adaptations. If it's a classic for a reason, don't fix it, because surely there isn't anything to be fixed. Walt understood that about Alice in Wonderland and Winnie the Pooh, but not Peter Pan for some reason.

Someone posted a link way back in the Beauty and the Beast Diamond Edition thread, and the interview with the makers of BATB were talking about the 3D transfer, which makes it even more jarring that the 2D Diamond and Signature Editions didn't use that. The 3D one is a lot brighter than what the film looked theatrically, but if we are too believe the makers that the original colors were not what they intended, then the disparity in colors might make sense. Certainly out of all the transfers released on DVD and Blu-Ray, the 3D one is the best one just because it actually keeps objects that should be white, white rather than pink, and Belle's hair is actually brown and not a red tone that rivals Anastasia's reddish-brown hair in Anastasia.

There's definitely a double standard on boys vs girls in this country and even the whole world. I'd argue that although girls may benefit more from this, because they are encouraged to like more boyish things, in fact it hurts them just as much. The consensus then becomes that a girl should be more boyish as if boy things are still superior and girly things are negative and should be discouraged (like the Disney Princess franchise). Just the fact that film studios feel that a film with a female protagonist (ex. The Little Mermaid, Rapunzel) and fears that it will alienate half the population shows this hypocrisy. Yet, a boy film never worries these same studies as alienating the other female half of the population. It is inbred in society that women will go to watch male films, but not the latter. I was very happy that the Disney Store got rid of their labels for costumes such as Buzz Lightyear's Costume FOR BOYS or Belle's costume FOR GIRLS. However, the store still needs some serious overhaul because they still divide things between boy and girl sections online. It's nice that they removed the gender label from costumes from the description, but the inherent problem is still there, when the main site has a section for boys and a different one for girls.
ImageImage
pikachufan1336
Gold Classic Collection

Post by pikachufan1336 »

Disney Duster wrote:

For the Record
Walt Disney didn't HATE any of his films
but he was a perfectionist, and If something bothered him he would point it out.
He had the same problem with Peter Pan that he had with Alice, he said it lacked "heart" but because Peter Pan was initially a hit, he wasn't as open about it.

You're right, he did like Cinderella, he saw himself in the transformation. It was the studio's first big hit since Dumbo at the time.
But again, he was a perfectionist.
He admited the film is not as good as Snow White.
You see, with Snow White:
Every. Corner. Was. Cut.
And Cinderella by comparison was just not everything he wanted it to be.
He even claimed "I fell as though I will never make another movie as good as Snow White"

I actually think Svankmajer's Ailce is BRILLIANT. While might not be a very satisfying adaptation, it visually gets the dream-like logic down perfectly. I think Svankmajer made the brilliant decision of making his own creative licences and making sure it was show not tell. Again, die hard fans of the book might not be totally thrilled with it, which is why I hesitate to call it THE best. I tie it with Disney Animated film (though to be honest it's probably my undying love for both movies clouding my judgment and refusing myself to pick ONE).
Point being, it's considered not only one of, if not the, greatest stop motion film (and it is in my book), but one of the greatest animated films of all time. I've been begging Criterion to release it.
milojthatch
Collector's Edition

Post by milojthatch »

pikachufan1336 wrote: In the first 5, Walt was OCD, every corner cut, glossed up and brought to perfection. If you asked him a question he would give you explicit detail. After the War, the dissapointing losses of Pinocchio, Fantasia, and Bambi, The strike, etc., he was a changed man. By the time Cinderella came out he was the exact opposite of that: you ask him a question and his answer will most likely be "I don't know what do you think?"
A million times agreed! By the 1950's, Walt was sort of a broken man. As a result, while still better than most other studios stuff then and today, the Disney films of the 50's and 60's tended to not be as good as the films of the 1940's. The only exception I would make is The Jungle Book. I have interviewed countless animation writers, artists and whatnot that have repeatedly said that that film is what inspired them to get into the industry.
All the adversity I've had in my life, all my troubles and obstacles, have strengthened me... You may not realize it when it happens, but a kick in the teeth may be the best thing in the world for you.

-Walt Disney
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

I see how the leaves could then work for his shirt at least JeanGreyForever. What were his pants made of?

I would guess that Peter has development until whatever age he stops growing up. You've revealed how the Peter Pan novel is really very complex, deep, and sad. I find it rather weird J.M. Barrie would doom a child to such a fate which has me and probably Walt himself think "There must be something good about staying a child forever!" I'm sure Barrie does think there is a sweet to the bitter of Peter's life.

I am torn between Disney making Peter Pan the faithful way or their own way with Peter happily staying young forever. I think I have to still pick the way Walt made it as being the right fit for Disney. But I wouldn't mind if they went the more faithful way. I must say if Disney did it that way it could be deeper than even their deepest films Pinocchio and Bambi (well those are the ones I think are). It would be tough to tackle all that complexity.

I suppose you must be right about the Beauty and the Beast transfer. I remember the interview about the colors. I just don't remember which release it was for, and I have to take your word on that it was the 3D release.

Yea, I always thought saying girls would go to "boy movies" but boys wouldn't go to "girl movies" was really weird. Disney does need to fix all their "boy" "girl" sections. What you said about girl things being seeen as negative is right and really f***ed up about the world.

Pikachufan1336, Walt Disney did say he "began to hate" Snow White because every critic compared all his pictures to that film. I don't know if he was kidding or if he kept hating it till death or what. I didn't know he thought Peter lacked heart but I do understand that. But if he didn't think any of his pictures were as good as Snow White, he wasn't completely satisfied with Lady and the Tramp and didn't think any of his pictures were as good as Snow White, even the "deities" of the '40s. And "cutting corners" I thought meant you took cheap short cuts so I think you're using that phrase wrong.

Alice had neat visuals. I guess the dream logic was cool. I can see it being the best among Alice films or any films in those senses, even if not in the senses I think make completely good films (story, character, emotion).
JeanGreyForever
Signature Collection

I think he would wear shorts made out of leaves too because British boys in that time would wear pinafores as babies and then when a little older they would wear shorts. So Peter would be in the shorts age bracket. Like in this pic I posted earlier.
http://www.art-dolls-lena.com/Art-Dolls ... er-Pan.php

Barrie had a very tragic life and in turn, he caused deep tragedy to the five little boys who Peter Pan was based off of. Actually, most children's authors have tragic lives. We saw P.L. Travers in Saving Mr. Banks but she still ended up having a better life than most others. A.A. Milne (Winnie the Pooh), Kenneth Grahme (The Wind in the Willows/The Reluctant Dragon), and also Lewis Carroll to a lesser extent (Alice in Wonderland) are all further examples. I'd argue that J.M. Barrie's life was the worst, especially because of the damage he caused to others. Saying that Finding Neverland was given the Hollywood treatment is a gross understatement basically.

Pinocchio and Bambi are definitely two of Disney's deeper movies and I like the darker, more mature elements in them with all their complexities. I think Peter Pan would have benefited from this treatment (unlike Alice in Wonderland). As you know, I highly value romance and love, so that's in part why I prefer the tragic treatment, just because it brings out the Peter-Wendy romance more by making it more clear that Peter is missing out on love. I consider them to be one of the greatest star-crossed couples alongside Romeo and Juliet, although I personally like to pretend that despite the book ending with Peter taking Wendy substitutes in her descendants, and the 2003 live-action movie ending with Wendy never seeing Peter again, that the two ended up together again after all. After all, never is an awfully long time ;) That's also why in part I despise the 1953 film now, because I think it makes a mockery of the Peter-Wendy romance. First by eliminating the thimble/kiss exchange scene and then by making Peter a cad as if he was a teenage boy from the 50s and not the magical eternal boy he really is.

I'll try to find the link to the interview of the directors of BATB where they said that.

I've never seen any of the Alice films outside of the three Disney ones, so I'll have to check this Alice film out you guys are talking about alongside the 1985 and 1999 films.
ImageImage
pikachufan1336
Gold Classic Collection

Post by pikachufan1336 »

JeanGreyForever wrote:
I've never seen any of the Alice films outside of the three Disney ones, so I'll have to check this Alice film out you guys are talking about alongside the 1985 and 1999 films.
The only ones you need to see before you die are the Disney Animated and Jan Svankmajer ones. I've seen every single one. The 1985 and 1999 films are fluffy star-studded straight adaptations. If you're that curious go ahead but don't expect much.
JeanGreyForever
Signature Collection

pikachufan1336 wrote:
JeanGreyForever wrote:
The only ones you need to see before you die are the Disney Animated and Jan Svankmajer ones. I've seen every single one. The 1985 and 1999 films are fluffy star-studded straight adaptations. If you're that curious go ahead but don't expect much.
I'm interested in those films as well because I wanted to compare how other more faithful adaptations of the book compare to Disney's. They do look dated and even cheesy, but I'm sure I've seen worse. I'll definitely check out the Jan Svankmajer one though.
ImageImage
Vlad
Collector's Edition

Post by Vlad »

Do you guys have a link to that interview regarding Beauty and the Beast's restoration?

I don't remember that one. :D
Khonnor
Special Edition

Post by Khonnor »

JeanGreyForever wrote:
Barrie had a very tragic life and in turn, he caused deep tragedy to the five little boys who Peter Pan was based off of. .
Why did he have a very tragic life and what did he do to the five boys he cared for after their parents died?
JeanGreyForever
Signature Collection

Khonnor wrote:
JeanGreyForever wrote:
Barrie had a very tragic life and in turn, he caused deep tragedy to the five little boys who Peter Pan was based off of. .
Why did he have a very tragic life and what did he do to the five boys he cared for after their parents died?
His older brother died when he was very young (somewhere from the ages of 10-12 I think) and Barrie's mom never got over it. She was in depression for a year (or maybe more) and ignored the other kids and Barrie would only be able to get her attention and cheer her up by dressing in his deceased brother's clothes and pretending to be him. This incident is said to have sparked his idea of the eternal child, because for his mother, her older deceased son would always be a child for her.

He grew up and married but never consummated the marriage and it's widely believed that he was asexual. He befriended the Llewelyn Davies boys whose lives were also full of tragedy. Their father died very young from cancer and their mother died shortly afterwards (and she was not romantically interested in Barrie unlike Finding Neverland). The five boys were close to Barrie in varying degrees and after the mother's death, he became their guardian (some believe that he forged the will/official document by a few letters so he could get guardianship).
The oldest and fourth child were closest to Barrie (and interestingly enough the two who died youngest). George, the oldest, died in WWI.
The second, Jack, was never as close to Barrie as he believed he was trying to replace his father. Apparently Barrie would send him away from home multiple times, because accordingly he feared that Jack would turn the other brothers against him too.
Peter was the third child and he would end up committing suicide as an adult by throwing himself in front of a train. According to one dubious source, this was shortly afterwards he remembered a dark truth about Barrie from an old letter that was never specified. I don't think that part was true, but he was clearly haunted by his childhood.
Michael, the fourth, was the closest to Barrie and many of Barrie's early writings about an infant child (which would now be considered quite predatory and lecherous) were directed towards him. Michael took part in a suicide pact at a young age in school, believed in part, because he was gay.
The final child was Nico who was too young to ever be very close to Barrie so he had the least bad feelings towards him, but was also the least close to him and never considered himself to be of Barrie's "circle" which mainly consisted of George and Michael who believed in him most. I think Peter did too at some point although he was never as close, while Jack was always the most skeptical.
Out of all the surviving brothers (or those who didn't die young), Peter was clearly the most haunted. There was some speculation that Barrie may have molested the boys, or at least Michael who was his favorite, but this is all speculation. I think he was more a broken man and regardless of whether or not he really was the intended guardian of the Llewelyn Davies boys, his impact on them seemed to be more toxic than not.
ImageImage
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

Oh my God! Barrie and those five boys! Let's hope he was just a broken man. But I can't believe his sadness is all that would make the boys so sad. I hate to say it but maybe he did molest them. I had no idea Finding Neverland, which I loved, was so untrue. I even liked the musical of it I saw (though it really wasn't a good musical).

I'd like to think Peter Pan wore regular shorts and not something from see-through leaves, lol. If he found an acorn button, I bet he could find shorts. Maybe even someone on that island could make cloth and sew.

Peter Pan like Pinocchio and Bambi. I could see it. It would even be the deepest one out of those, to me. Well that or Bambi. The ending of the 1953 Peter Pan I already find kind of deep, with Mr. Darling seeing the ship. At least Wendy can get married to the person who may be her true love. I wish Peter had a happy ending. I feel like with Disney's 1953 one he does. Let's see if that remake ever appears and if it makes you and me both happy, JeanGreyForever! ;)
unprincess
Collector's Edition

Post by unprincess »

Ive never heard of the Svankmajer Alice in Wonderland so I went to look it up on google images. Every scene from this movie looks like pure nightmare fuel! :huh: I think I should watch it someday. :D

The Barrie backstory is so depressing :( (and a bit... I dunno... something did seem "off" about the guy.) :|
JeanGreyForever
Signature Collection

Disney Duster wrote:Oh my God! Barrie and those five boys! Let's hope he was just a broken man. But I can't believe his sadness is all that would make the boys so sad. I hate to say it but maybe he did molest them. I had no idea Finding Neverland, which I loved, was so untrue. I even liked the musical of it I saw (though it really wasn't a good musical).

I'd like to think Peter Pan wore regular shorts and not something from see-through leaves, lol. If he found an acorn button, I bet he could find shorts. Maybe even someone on that island could make cloth and sew.

Peter Pan like Pinocchio and Bambi. I could see it. It would even be the deepest one out of those, to me. Well that or Bambi. The ending of the 1953 Peter Pan I already find kind of deep, with Mr. Darling seeing the ship. At least Wendy can get married to the person who may be her true love. I wish Peter had a happy ending. I feel like with Disney's 1953 one he does. Let's see if that remake ever appears and if it makes you and me both happy, JeanGreyForever! ;)
I only saw Finding Neverland once as a child, but after learning the true story, it would be too hard for me to watch it again. Same with the musical. Normally, I would love to watch it, and it even came to my city, but after reading a particularly chilling biography of Barrie, I just couldn't bring myself to go and watch it. I do have the playbook for it though.

Yeah, I'm sure he could get his hands on a pair of shorts if he found that acorn button. The white/clear skeleton leaves aren't well know anyway and that one image I posted is the only time I've seen something like that. The illustrations for the original book are black and white and even when they're colored, the leaves are colored green. The play I think also doesn't have him in skeleton leaves but regular leaves, so his shorts would probably be just regular leaves. On Neverland, only Wendy was able to sew (being the only girl of course as well as mother-figure).

I did sorta like the ending of Peter Pan, because it brings things full circle and suggests that Peter Pan is always around and will always be present in people's childhoods. I'm never a fan of the whole "it's all a dream" type of ending, which Wizard of Oz also suffers from. Alice doesn't bother me that much because that works better as a dream, plus the books are like that as well. If you ask me, Wendy's true love would be Peter but I'm not sure if J.M. Barrie would agree. Most fans prefer them together though. I suppose if you asked Peter himself, he'd say he did get a "happy ending" although I doubt he'd view it as an ending. It could be argued how happy he truly is, at least on the inside. I'm quite happy with the non-Disney live-action film already out there, and I don't trust Disney to do this source material justice so I'd rather they scrap the remake. Especially since it's from the director of Pete's Dragon which I didn't care for. Disney surprised me with Cinderella and Jungle Book, but then there's Alice, Maleficent, and to a lesser extent, Beauty and the Beast, so I don't completely trust their live-action remakes yet. Let's hope they don't butcher Aladdin since that's coming soon, as well as Snow White and The Little Mermaid if they ever get around to those two.
unprincess wrote: The Barrie backstory is so depressing :( (and a bit... I dunno... something did seem "off" about the guy.) :|
If you already feel that about him, I wouldn't recommend ever reading this book. It's absolutely haunting and paints him to be the devil incarnate. When I was reading this book, I actually felt scared that Barrie was coming after me, from the way the author wrote him to be this amoral, relentless, supernatural monster with strange powers, despite the fact that Barrie's been dead for decades.
https://www.amazon.com/Neverland-Barrie ... 1605981915
ImageImage