Maleficent: Mistress of Evil

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
Prince Edward
Anniversary Edition

Re: Maleficent Sequel Moving Forward.....

Post by Prince Edward »

WonderNeverOz wrote:I'll be okay if they use the sequel to the original story of Sleeping Beauty by Charles Perrault...
That would be a quite to sophisticated move by Disney. They are undoubtly letting Linda Woolverton write another horrendous script. Her writing is disasterous and I simple can't understand why Disney keeps using her.
Favorite Disney-movies: Snow White, Cinderella, Alice in Wonderland, Sleeping Beauty, The Little Mermaid, Beauty and the Beast, Aladdin, Pocahontas, The Hunchback of Notre Dame, Hercules, Mulan, Tarzan, Tangled, Frozen, Pirates, Enchanted, Prince of Persia, Tron, Oz The Great and Powerful
Musical Master
Anniversary Edition

Post by Musical Master »

Prince Edward wrote:
WonderNeverOz wrote:I'll be okay if they use the sequel to the original story of Sleeping Beauty by Charles Perrault...
That would be a quite to sophisticated move by Disney. They are undoubtly letting Linda Woolverton write another horrendous script. Her writing is disasterous and I simple can't understand why Disney keeps using her.
As a future writer myself, I personally don't think that Linda Woolverton's work is "horrendous" or even the worse one in the room (come on there are FAR WORSE writers than her out there), just extremely divisive that some people really love it or other people flat out despise.
Disney, Pixar, Rodgers and Hammerstein, and Cinema fan
Disney's Divinity
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Post by Disney's Divinity »

It's not really surprising they keep Woolverton on considering most of her work is successful. Disney cares more about financial success than critical acclaim.

Also, I'm sure Disney will make another traditional re-telling of Sleeping Beauty in the future. They can make straightforward films like Cinderella and TJB and revisionist films like Maleficent and Cruella simultaneously

@WonderNeverOz: I had that same thought. Maybe make the film Maleficent versus the prince's cannibal mother. lol
Listening to most often lately:
Ariana Grande ~ "we can't be friends (wait for your love)"
Ariana Grande ~ "imperfect for you"
Kacey Musgraves ~ "The Architect"
Vlad
Collector's Edition

Post by Vlad »

Musical Master wrote:
Sicoe Vlad wrote:Hmm, I have mixed feelings about this. I mean, the first one was okay, it certainly had its issues, but I did enjoy Jolie's performance, even though the character was changed drastically. If they will convince Jolie to reprise her role, I will give it a watch, because, let's face it, she was the best thing in the movie.
It's already been confirmed that Jolie IS reprising her role as Maleficent in the sequel. Speaking of which, the first film looked as if everything was wrapped up story wise so I'm curious as to how can the story keep going without it seemingly pointless.
Really? It has been confirmed? So, the movie still has some hope....sort of.
Musical Master
Anniversary Edition

Post by Musical Master »

Yes. Disney has confirmed that Jolie has signed on to play Maleficent again, but that they should! She was one of the best things about the first film.
Disney, Pixar, Rodgers and Hammerstein, and Cinema fan
abby

Post by abby »

Maleficent 2 is about Maleficent's daughter "Malevolent" who has a love affair with the son of Auora

I found this: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt4777008/

Do you think this plot is true?
Disney's Divinity

No. The biggest appeal of the Maleficent property is the title character and Angelina Jolie. Why would they decide to focus on a new character nobody knows and take a chance on a new actress?

Tbh, I'm not sure what a Maleficent sequel will be about. I imagine something sort of like the sequel to Snow White and the Huntsman, with some kind of magical war going on.
JeanGreyForever
Signature Collection

Post by JeanGreyForever »

It sounds more like an alternate Descendants scenario. I agree with Disney Divinity that Angelina Jolie is this film's star and frankly its main selling point. They won't use a storyline that won't focus entirely on her.
ImageImage
We’re a dyad in the Force. Two that are one.
"I offered you my hand once. You wanted to take it." - Kylo Ren
"I did want to take your hand. Ben's hand." - Rey
estefan
Platinum Edition

Post by estefan »

Anyone can edit IMDb, so information about upcoming movies from the website can be taken with a grain with a salt. The only people who likely know the plot of the Maleficent sequel right now are probably Linda Woolverton, Angelina Jolie, Alan Horn, Bob Iger and the film's producers.
"There are two wolves and they are always fighting. One is darkness and despair. The other is light and hope. Which wolf wins? Whichever one you feed." - Casey Newton, Tomorrowland
unprincess
Collector's Edition

Post by unprincess »

I hope they bring Diaval back, and I want to see him in more of the other animal forms other that the raven.
WarriorDreamer
Gold Classic Collection

Post by WarriorDreamer »

The only and I mean the ONLY way I could accept this is if this film is based on the Kingdom Hearts storyline. A story wherein she searches for more power and the chance to control and have dominance over all worlds. I think that could be interesting since I loved her role in the first game and the way she led the Disney villains. The second, not so much. Elle Fanning could return as a princess of heart along with all the others.

If they just do some crappy relationship storyline or some shit I won't want to see it, since it would be a waste and insult to the character. At least if they went with the KH storyline they could try and redeem her from the first film.
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

They finally came to their senses and got rid of Linda. :P
After working with him on Cruella, Disney has hired Jez Butterworth to rewrite the script for Maleficent 2, the Tracking Board has exclusively learned. Joe Roth is producing the sequel, which will see Angelina Jolie reprise her role as the iconic Sleeping Beauty villain. Maleficent scribe Linda Woolverton wrote the initial draft of the screenplay. Plot details remain unknown at this time, and any potential release date would depend on Jolie’s schedule.
Source: http://www.tracking-board.com/maleficen ... exclusive/
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
JeanGreyForever
Signature Collection

Then it might be able to make up for the awful first film. Might.
ImageImage
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

The first film made an offense by changing the story and character so much. A film following that isn't going to change the first offense. I will watch this but only because I like Disney and magical stuff.
estefan
Platinum Edition

Post by estefan »

Tracking Board, ew. I don't trust them.

They've been trying to get off Maleficent 2 off the ground and it has always depended on Jolie. I feel eventually this project will fade away. It's been three years since Maleficent was released and the box-office performance of Alice Through the Looking Glass is probably still fresh in Disney's minds. That movie showed the risk of taking a long time to release a sequel to a fantasy film that while successful at the time isn't that much a part of the cultural conversation anymore. And Maleficent didn't reach the billion dollar numbers like Alice in Wonderland did.
"There are two wolves and they are always fighting. One is darkness and despair. The other is light and hope. Which wolf wins? Whichever one you feed." - Casey Newton, Tomorrowland
Avaitor
Collector's Edition

Post by Avaitor »

I finally watched this one a while ago, and idk about you, but this, along with Alice, feels miles removed from the more recent live-action remakes. I don't see a sequel having a big turn-out.
JeanGreyForever
Signature Collection

Not to mention that Jolie's reputation hasn't been as strong in the past few years with her directorial films being critically panned, and of course the recent divorce.
ImageImage
Disney's Divinity

I don't think this'll bomb as badly as the Alice sequel (mostly because I consider Maleficent a better film), but I don't expect it to match the first film's success whatsoever. What I imagine is something similar to Snow White and the Huntsman's sequel, where it was hard to understand what the storyline would even be considering the traditional fairy tale plot was already ended in the first film.

I don't feel either way about Woolverton being off the film.
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

Confirmed by Maleficent herself.
There were rumors that she might be doing Universal’s Bride of Frankenstein but she said she is going back to Disney to do Maleficent 2. “We have been working on the script and this is going to be a really strong sequel,” she said, excited by the prospect of returning to that Disney villainess.
Source: http://deadline.com/2017/09/telluride-f ... 202160311/
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
disneyboy20022
Signature Collection

Post by disneyboy20022 »

Disney Duster wrote:The first film made an offense by changing the story and character so much. A film following that isn't going to change the first offense. I will watch this but only because I like Disney and magical stuff.
When I saw the opening scene of Maleficent, with her as a little kind girl with wings, I looked at my girlfriend and said just shoot me. I am glad Disney got rid of Linda, but how about just scrap this entirely, but eh that's not going to happen.
Want to Hear How I met Roy E. Disney in 2003? Click the link Below

http://fromscreentotheme.com/ThursdayTr ... isney.aspx