Incredibles 2

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
estefan
Platinum Edition

Re: The Incredibles 2

Post by estefan »

The ending of The Incredibles seemed to imply that now that superheroes are public and accepted again, super villains will make a come back, too. The Underminer was the first villain to appear after the Incredibles showed up, but there are probably plenty more on the way.
"There are two wolves and they are always fighting. One is darkness and despair. The other is light and hope. Which wolf wins? Whichever one you feed." - Casey Newton, Tomorrowland
Sotiris
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Post by Sotiris »

They got a (superpowered?) raccoon as their pet? :lol:

I must be one of the few people who never wanted an Incredibles sequel. The themes of the original film were adequately explored, familial issues were resolved, and the ending leaves you satisfied knowing they'll continue their lives as a superhero family, battling villains, and having further adventures. It's not needed to literally see them fighting the next big bad. In fact, it kinda ruins that open-ended happy ending.

With the sole exception of Toy Story 2, I find all of Pixar's sequels/prequels/spin-offs etc. to be unnecessary fodder, never covering any new ground thematically.
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
Mayhem
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Mayhem »

The Underminer was the focus of the associated videogame at the time, so I imagine the film sequel will have a new villain.
Lie with passion and be forever damned...
D82
Signature Collection

Post by D82 »

Kyle wrote:How do you even have an opinion on the underminer? He had what, three lines?
Well, he doesn't look like a serious or really menacing villain. His purpose in the film was just to serve as an excuse to show the Parr family fighting together against the bad guys at the end of the film. If he's the main villain in the sequel I suppose they'll develop his personality and give him a good backstory or motive for his actions, but I'd rather they create a new villain.

Kyle wrote:Also, who's to say we wont jut get a time jump 10 mins into the movie like the first one so we can see the kids age a bit? I could see them starting off with killing/capturing the underminer as a bridge to the the rest of the movie. They wouldn't want to spoil that in the first teaser art for the movie.
Yes, that's very possible.

Sotiris wrote:I must be one of the few people who never wanted an Incredibles sequel. The themes of the original film were adequately explored, familial issues were resolved, and the ending leaves you satisfied knowing they'll continue their lives as a superhero family, battling villains, and having further adventures. It's not needed to literally see them fighting the next big bad. In fact, it kinda ruins that open-ended happy ending.
I've never understood why there was such a big clamor for an Incredibles sequel. There are other Pixar films that are just as beloved and people don't ask for a sequel to them. Is it because it's a superhero film and they expect these kinds of movies always have sequels?
Kyle
Platinum Edition

Post by Kyle »

They left it off on a cliff hanger, not to mention the world will always need saving, it just lends itself so well to sequels.

With most of the other movies you felt like the story had been told. This one though you can tell there are so many other stories worth telling.
Disney's Divinity

Post by Disney's Divinity »

^ I agree. The Incredibles was the only Pixar film where I ever felt like a sequel would be warranted--well, Inside Out also feels ripe for a sequel. Even Toy Story did not leave me with any desire for sequels; the sequels just turned out great is all. Honestly, the sequels are better than the original in TS's case.

I think the only thing I'm a bit disappointed about right now is that the kids are still, well, kids. I had come around to the idea that they'd time jump to Dash in high school, Violet either in Senior Year or beginning college, and Jack Jack in elementary.
Listening to most often lately:
Ariana Grande ~ "we can't be friends (wait for your love)"
Ariana Grande ~ "imperfect for you"
Kacey Musgraves ~ "The Architect"
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

D82 wrote:Is it because it's a superhero film and they expect these kinds of movies always have sequels?
Probably. Unlike other types of films, it's strongly expected from superhero movies to have more installments to further explore the characters and the universe they inhabit. That and maybe some people misconstrued the film's ending for a cliffhanger and thus wanted to know what literally happens next.

The thing is Pixar is going to keep making sequels whether we like it or not so they might as well sequelize a movie that offers itself more to that.
Dr Frankenollie
In The Vaults

Post by Dr Frankenollie »

I'm pretty sceptical about an Incredibles sequel. It's not really the kind of conventional superhero movie which leaves thematic and storytelling space for follow-ups. It was always closer, in style and in fact detail too, to something like a family-friendly Watchmen than it is to Iron Man or Batman Begins. The primary strands - superheroes coming out of retirement in a post-superhero reality, a broken and dysfunctional family coming to unite, Bob and Helen rediscovering their love for each other, Bob realising that he can remain super and have a family too - are all particular to that plot and wrapped themselves up quite nicely. I'm not sure where they can go next, especially as it seems the kids are still kids. Perhaps it'll explore the widespread comeback of supers, and the social implications it has, considering the original's equivalent of the Keene Act was a big plot device at the start but not really returned to? That's the only question that's really left open. But social and political stuff isn't really Pixar's style; they do much smaller, personal stories. I worry they'll just reheat the conflicts of the original.
Kyle
Platinum Edition

Post by Kyle »

On the subject of people wanting a sequel just because its a super hero movie: keep in mind people have wanted a sequel even before super hero flicks were releasing seemingly every week. So I think there's more to it than that.
D82
Signature Collection

Post by D82 »

Personally, I agree with Sotiris and Dr Frankenollie. To me everything is perfectly resolved at the end and I wasn't left longing for a sequel. I also think it's clear that at least the filmmakers' intention wasn't to end the movie with a cliffhanger, but I can see why some people would interpret it that way. Anyway, it's interesting to hear different opinions. Now I think I understand a bit better why people wanted a continuation.

Kyle wrote:On the subject of people wanting a sequel just because its a super hero movie: keep in mind people have wanted a sequel even before super hero flicks were releasing seemingly every week. So I think there's more to it than that.
The superhero genre didn't have the boom it currently has, but I think people were already used to these kinds of films having sequels. The first Superman and Batman series of films already existed and the first two Spiderman and X-Men movies had also been released when The Incredibles premiered. But maybe there are other reasons as well. I also wonder, for instance, if the fact that this was more adult than the previous Pixar films or that it was its first movie with humans as protagonists had something to do with it.
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

So, that's that. The superhero family will remain the same age as they were in the original during the whole movie. The Underminer will be featured at the beginning of the movie but he won't be the main antagonist.

The Incredibles 2 Takes Place Immediately After the First Film
http://www.ign.com/articles/2017/07/14/ ... first-film
DisneyEra
Anniversary Edition

Post by DisneyEra »

Sotiris wrote:So, that's that.

Worked great for Finding Dory :roll:
PatrickvD
Signature Collection

Post by PatrickvD »

The only reason I wanted a sequel was to see the kids in their late teens/early twenties. This destroyed my anticipation.

And Brad Bird lost credibility after the turd that was Tomorrowland. So he isn't bulletproof.
D82
Signature Collection

Post by D82 »

Sotiris wrote:The Underminer will be featured at the beginning of the movie but he won't be the main antagonist.
I'm relieved he won't be the main villain.

Pixar has released a spoof featurette about Edna Mode:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GxjsWlUTz7U[/youtube]

And the concept art from the other day in better quality:

Source: https://twitter.com/DisneyPixar/status/ ... 5962202112

Here are also a pair of photos from the film's display at the D23 Expo:

https://twitter.com/heartdisney10/statu ... 0136868864
Kyle
Platinum Edition

Post by Kyle »

Sotiris wrote:So, that's that. The superhero family will remain the same age as they were in the original during the whole movie. The Underminer will be featured at the beginning of the movie but he won't be the main antagonist.

Where was this stated specifically? I did watch the interview and he while he does say it starts right after the first one, I did not see anything that ruled out a time jump later.
JeanGreyForever
Signature Collection

Post by JeanGreyForever »

I'm so glad Helen will be the main focus of the film this time. And I'm also glad this film picks off right after the first one. I know some people predicted that it would follow a grown up Violet, Dash, and Jack-Jack, but I loved the dynamic of the family so much in the first film that I wouldn't have wanted it to change.
ImageImage
We’re a dyad in the Force. Two that are one.
"I offered you my hand once. You wanted to take it." - Kylo Ren
"I did want to take your hand. Ben's hand." - Rey
Disney's Divinity

Post by Disney's Divinity »

I’ll be honest that I didn’t read the article. Elastigirl is the main focus of the sequel? That’s good news at least. She was my favorite character from the first film (then Edna, ofc).
Listening to most often lately:
Ariana Grande ~ "we can't be friends (wait for your love)"
Ariana Grande ~ "imperfect for you"
Kacey Musgraves ~ "The Architect"
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

The official logo. I guess Disney decided to drop the article 'the' from the title.

Source: http://www.latimes.com/entertainment/mo ... story.html
D82
Signature Collection

Post by D82 »

Sotiris wrote:I guess Disney decided to drop the article 'the' from the title.
Curious. I wonder why they've decided to do that.

Kyle wrote:
Sotiris wrote:So, that's that. The superhero family will remain the same age as they were in the original during the whole movie. The Underminer will be featured at the beginning of the movie but he won't be the main antagonist.

Where was this stated specifically? I did watch the interview and he while he does say it starts right after the first one, I did not see anything that ruled out a time jump later.
The details they gave about the story seem to indicate that it will all take place right after the first film or a short period of time later. They also showed 3D models of the characters and they looked almost the same age as in the original movie. And they've replaced Dash's original voice actor because he was too old for the part. So, unless they're hiding that for now for some reason, I don't think there will be a big time jump in the film.

Here's the film's plot:
In Incredibles 2, Helen is in the spotlight, while Bob is at home with Violet, Dash and baby Jack-Jack, whose superpowers are still under wraps. When a new villain hatches a brilliant and dangerous plot, the family and Frozone team up to do what they do best.
Source: http://www.pixarpost.com/2017/07/d23-ex ... kdown.html

Here are the character models:

Image Image

And here's the new voice actor of Dash (the second from the left):

magicalwands
Collector's Edition

Post by magicalwands »

Do you guys like the logo? It reminds me too much of a pause sign for my liking. But I know not to judge the film off the logo.