Apple to Buy Disney?

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
MikeyMouse
Gold Classic Collection

Apple to Buy Disney?

Post by MikeyMouse »

I'm sure we were all worried when Comcast tried to buy Disney and breathed a sigh of relief when it failed, but today's news seems a "little" more probable considering the participants:

http://www.marketwatch.com/News/Story/S ... iteid=mktw

I'm the biggest Apple fan there is, but I can't say I'd be thrilled about this merger.
milojthatch
Collector's Edition

Iger joins Apple Board

Post by milojthatch »

Don't know if anyone saw this already, but it seems Bob Iger has a new job besides being Disney CEO. I bet he'll hold on to this job after he leaves Disney.

http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/technology/ ... apple-inc/
All the adversity I've had in my life, all my troubles and obstacles, have strengthened me... You may not realize it when it happens, but a kick in the teeth may be the best thing in the world for you.

-Walt Disney
Dr Frankenollie
In The Vaults

Post by Dr Frankenollie »

-
Last edited by Dr Frankenollie on Thu May 23, 2019 1:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PatrickvD
Signature Collection

Post by PatrickvD »

Should be allowed here I think.

I wonder who will succeed Iger, Catmull maybe? Although he is a bit older now.
Duckburger
Special Edition

Post by Duckburger »

I thought he wanted to go into politics after he was done with Disney?
Sotiris
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Post by Sotiris »

Disney CEO Robert Iger Buys $1 Million of Apple Stock
http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/d ... uys-269013
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
milojthatch
Collector's Edition

Post by milojthatch »

Duckburger wrote:I thought he wanted to go into politics after he was done with Disney?
That was speculation. I'm sure he is weighing his options and will do more so the closer he gets to the end with Disney.
All the adversity I've had in my life, all my troubles and obstacles, have strengthened me... You may not realize it when it happens, but a kick in the teeth may be the best thing in the world for you.

-Walt Disney
blackcauldron85

Re: Iger joins Apple Board

Post by blackcauldron85 »

Wall Street Suggests Apple Could Purchase Disney
http://www.laughingplace.com/w/news/201 ... se-disney/
milojthatch
Collector's Edition

Post by milojthatch »

blackcauldron85 wrote:Wall Street Suggests Apple Could Purchase Disney
http://www.laughingplace.com/w/news/201 ... se-disney/
This idea is not new, but is always a possibility as Apple is big enough to pull it off. Personally, I hope not. An Apple that controls Disney, PIXAR, Marvel, LucusFilm and all the other subsidiaries that would come with that package would truly be too powerful and could hurt the market.

-Walt Disney
Disney's Divinity

Post by Disney's Divinity »

All this company-eating-company and amalgamation of properties into one huge company is kind of disturbing to me. Something about it feels foreboding.
Listening to most often lately:
Ariana Grande ~ "we can't be friends (wait for your love)"
Ariana Grande ~ "imperfect for you"
Kacey Musgraves ~ "The Architect"
Sotiris

Re: Apple to bid for Disney?

Post by Sotiris »

I sure hope not. Disney should stay independent.

Could Apple Buy Disney? Wall Street Revives Rumor of Mega-Deal
http://variety.com/2017/digital/news/ap ... 202029827/
Disney's Divinity

Post by Disney's Divinity »

Odd to think of Disney being bought. I always thought Disney did the buying.

How can a company be bought if it's not for sale though?
Listening to most often lately:
Ariana Grande ~ "we can't be friends (wait for your love)"
Ariana Grande ~ "imperfect for you"
Kacey Musgraves ~ "The Architect"
thedisneyspirit
Anniversary Edition

Post by thedisneyspirit »

what would happen if that were the case
Big Disney Fan
Platinum Edition

Post by Big Disney Fan »

I am literally feeling sick in my stomach about this, and I am hoping this is as far-fetched as CNBC claims it is: http://www.cnbc.com/2017/04/13/far-fetc ... erger.html.
netenyahoo

Post by netenyahoo »

I sure hope this doesn't happen. I don't think it makes sense as Apple would drain any reserves it has and have to borrow as well to buy Disney.
milojthatch
Collector's Edition

Post by milojthatch »

I feel like this was all covered in an earlier thread, but I'm too lazy/tired/apathetic to go look for it. :P
Disney's Divinity wrote:Odd to think of Disney being bought. I always thought Disney did the buying.

How can a company be bought if it's not for sale though?
It's called a hostel takeover and it's totally something that can happen. It's actually what the case would have been had Comcast been able to buy Disney. You should Google the term if you want to know more about it, but in the words of Qui-Gon Jinn, "There is always a bigger fish." If that bigger fish sees a good point business wise in going after a smaller one, they will.
netenyahoo wrote:I sure hope this doesn't happen. I don't think it makes sense as Apple would drain any reserves it has and have to borrow as well to buy Disney.
From what I have read, there are a lot of factors in this being a thing. Some have suggested that AT&T's merger with WB and Iger not having a successor yet might have been the keys to Apple considering this. As big as Disney is, Apple is bigger and easily could pull this off. However, what I've read is Apple is waiting on a few issue to be resolved, like possible tax incentives over seas. Also, Disney might have to shed a few parts of their company. The thing I keep hearing the most is ESPN, but who knows? These kind of hostile takeovers are not full proof or easy. If Apple goes for it, there is no sure thing that it will work, but it probobly will.

Personally, I really don't want to see this. Such a company would be far too powerful. That said, it also doesn't surprise me if it happens. Until the US government starts cracking down on the practice, it is the natural order of things for corporations to slowly buy each other up until only a few super corporations are left. Also, with the increasing globalization of business, I don't know if there is much the US government could do anyway about it. Those tax incentives I was talking about? They aren't from the US, but rather Asia. That's right, Apple is waiting on how things go in Asia in part before they make a move and possibly buy Disney.

This is a wait and see kind of story.

-Walt Disney
rodrigo_ca
Special Edition

Post by rodrigo_ca »

Oh gosh please don't let this happen.
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

The rumors were true. Apple was indeed considering buying Disney! :shock:
Apple wanted a service that could beat Netflix, a person familiar with the company’s plan said. After a 2015 effort to persuade Walt Disney Co. and others to join a streaming-TV service faltered, Apple’s executives debated alternatives, including acquiring Walt Disney Co. or Netflix, and building its own studio, people familiar with the discussions said.
Source: https://www.wsj.com/articles/with-the-i ... 1553437018
Rumpelstiltskin
Anniversary Edition

Post by Rumpelstiltskin »

It would have been better if they had tried to buy Comcast.

Ironically, Apple can thank Disney for their power. It was Disney that made Ed Catmull and others dedicated to animation, and a driving force behind what would be known as Pixar. Disney was also a strong influence on George Lucas. John Lasseter was a we know a Disney animator that joined Lucasfilm. When Steve Jobs invested in Pixar, he had no interest in making an animated movie, but kept pouring money into the company because he couldn't face another failure. They survived because Disney paid good for the CAPS-project, and later agreed to finance and distribute three Pixar movies.
It made Steve Jobs a billionaire, and it was a different, more experienced and more powerful Steve Jobs that would return to Apple with knowledge gained through Pixar. By then Apple was struggling and many predicted they would never survive. But they did, and has become a giant since then.
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

Bob Iger Steps Away From Apple Board of Directors
https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/ ... rs-1239607

Disney CEO Bob Iger says he left Apple’s board because ‘our paths were conflicting’
https://www.cnbc.com/2019/09/24/disney- ... board.html