The Walt Disney Signature Collection

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
Mickeyfan1990
Collector's Edition

Re: The Walt Disney Signature Collection

Post by Mickeyfan1990 »

On the bright side, maybe they'll restore Cinderella properly this time for the Signature Edition. Someone did say Disney admitted they weren't happy with the restoration either.
pikachufan1336
Gold Classic Collection

Post by pikachufan1336 »

Obviously they refuse to expand the line up, which if they insist on keeping this up would be the logical solution (other than just throwing out the window, but that's not happening) so what else can we conclude but that it's going to fall flat on their face?

If Cinderella is going to be re-restored, and the vault schedule goes as usual, in which Cinderella comes after Lion King, which should be soon, it can't possibly make the money it usually does.
Disney Duster
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Post by Disney Duster »

I was hoping Cinderella would be vaulted sooner than it was to be restored correctly, but I think they kept it out to coincide with the live-action Cinderella. I'm thinking they will wait a while before they release it from the vault, and fix the restoration, but I don't know. I can only hope.
pikachufan1336
Gold Classic Collection

Post by pikachufan1336 »

So soon after Cinderella, The Little Mermaid, and The Jungle Book, got Vaulted, Disney decided to vault 101 Dalmatians. Yet not it's direct to video sequel, which is weird.... but whatever.
Escapay

Post by Escapay »

Escapay, back in June wrote:Perhaps come September, I'll eat my words once more. Perhaps the jam session, the memoir, the Walt piece, the recording sessions... perhaps all those will be worthy supplements that soften the blow of "losing" a lot of great content from the past. Perhaps the sneak peek will truly get me excited for a film that I've literally waited 25 years to see. Perhaps I'll actually watch this "25 Fun Facts" thing and learn something I haven't. Perhaps this is all a dream, and I'll wake up in a world where your home media releases have consistently gotten better and better as the Blu-Ray format gets older and older. You know, as opposed to the past ten years of me bitching and moaning about one thing or another. Yeah, I know that my physical media bias has shown in this past, and that digital is the future that you're pushing on us. But perhaps I'll learn to embrace that. Or perhaps you'll realize that physical media is still a viable product.

Disney, prove me right. I double-dare you.

Albert
So...

Throughout both 2015 and 2016, I'd been going to Disney Screen at Cinemark, seeing various Disney films - animated and live-action alike - on the big screen as they were meant to be seen. I pretty much bought a season pass whenever each quarterly calendar was released. When Beauty and the Beast finally showed up on the schedule, I was overjoyed. At last, I could fulfill a 25-year dream of seeing this film in theatres.

The question, of course, would be which version Disney Screen would... screen.

And, by some miracle, they screened a version of the film that most accurately represented what viewers saw in 1991. Natural, earthy colors. Beast stuttering, "You wan-you wanna stay in the tower?" The correct background for the closing shot of "Something There." No "Human Again," so all the backgrounds still looked dirty and unkempt. Belle's reflection in the glass was gone. And Cogsworth had that muscle spasm as he proclaims "Why?" This was the Beauty and the Beast I grew up with. And at last, I could see it the way it was meant to be seen.

Then you released the Beauty and the Beast Signature 25th Collection Anniversary Whatnot Edition.

And it's the same exact encode you used in 2010.

What the fuck, Disney?

You gift theatre-goers with the most perfect version of the film. The Disney Screen version was also used for D23 events and other limited engagements in 2016. You could have proven me wrong by actually putting that version on the disc, since you've offered the film in so many different versions over the years. But, instead, you actually just go back to the same 2010 encode, only now it's sharing the disc with about 40-odd minutes of new features. I mean, I wouldn't have minded updating my word document that tracks just how many editions there are of this film across 25 years. Putting a note in that the 25th Anniversary Blu-Ray is the best one for the film would have been really nice. Instead, it's just another notch on the belt, another edition to hoard.

And hoard it, I did. Because I really can't see myself revisiting this disc for much. And, gasp, I probably won't have to put the disc in since I find myself actually using Disney Movies Anywhere sometimes. But let's go over these new features and why they're making me less likely to want to revisit the disc:

It's always funny to compare the "Walt tried to make this" bit in every subsequent home media release. It literally gets passing reference in the 2002 documentary, gets expanded a bit more in the 2010 documentary, and now is its own full-fledged featurette here... all for the one, surviving piece of concept art. But the whole story behind how it survived is fascinating, because this particular unmade chapter in Walt's history always fascinates me. And to finally see what could have been, even in such an early form, just makes the whole piece worth the price of admission. THIS is the kind of stuff Disney should be making as bonus features. It's pretty much Criterion level, and shows they still have a few tricks up their sleeves if they put their mind to it.

Unfortunately, it's kind of downhill from there.

The jam session re-iterates most everything from the previous "Composing a Classic," but adds in some well-meaning fanboy/girl moments. I want to say negative things about this, but I can't. The only negativity I have is that I wasn't in the room where it happens. Clearly, this discussion ran longer than 20 minutes. And I would have been a fly on the wall the entire time.

You know what else likely also exists longer than what's on the disc? The recording sessions. What's the point of presenting a manic mash-up in a three-minute compilation when you could probably provide longer sessions as some sort of occasionally-showing-up picture-in-picture track? It's obvious that all of "Belle" and "Be Our Guest" exist - especially given that they were shot for 20/20's news report. And the other rough footage hints at much more. And Angela's legendary one-take recording of "Beauty and the Beast"... come on, Disney. We deserve at least that.

And Paige O'Hara deserves more than two local-production theatre people trying to interview her for a hot minute. Fortunately, she just talks to the camera herself, saving them and viewers some secondhand embarrassment. I'm glad this runs as long as it does - eleven whole minutes and some change. It's pretty much on par with the Howard Ashman featurette (13 minutes) of 2010. Part of me does wish we had a similar Robby Benson featurette to run in tandem with this. But I bet the budget for that had to go to the Disney Channel kids.

Fun fact, both Disney Channel kids (Gus Kamp and Kayla Maisonet) were only three years of age when Beauty and the Beast was first released... to DVD. It's the only NEW fact you'll learn, and not even one that they address in their five minutes of harmless hosting. The 25 facts they regurgitate with the usual Disney Channel pomp and circumstance were covered more extensively in pretty much every bonus feature that's now a digital exclusive. All of a sudden, Disney Movies Anywhere seems more appealing.

Finally, that sneak peek is less than 90 seconds. Just... go.

Disney, I don't care if I'm right or wrong anymore. I'm just disappointed.

Albert
WIST #60:
AwallaceUNC: Would you prefer Substi-Blu-tiary Locomotion? :p

WIST #61:
TheSequelOfDisney: Damn, did Lin-Manuel Miranda go and murder all your families?
Vlad
Collector's Edition

Post by Vlad »

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:
Mickeyfan1990
Collector's Edition

Post by Mickeyfan1990 »

Bambi confirmed to be the next title in the Signature Collection as confirmed by Alex Nichole, who received the e-mail on the announcement.

Bambi II is also scheduled for a new Blu-ray release.

https://www.facebook.com/DisneyMovieClu ... 3205319796
JeanGreyForever
Signature Collection

Post by JeanGreyForever »

For both the diamond and platinum editions, Bambi is the release where the special features drastically dropped in number. Of course that shouldn't even be an issue for the signature line since they've all had that problem. I'm not really excited for this release except for it being the last classic to need a digital copy besides Fantasia.
ImageImage
We’re a dyad in the Force. Two that are one.
"I offered you my hand once. You wanted to take it." - Kylo Ren
"I did want to take your hand. Ben's hand." - Rey
JeanGreyForever
Signature Collection

For all the people who defended the BATB restoration, here's something else you can use next time you try and defend this sorry excuse for a release. In the scene where Beast is waiting for Belle to come to dinner, black boxes appear on Lumiere's face. I never noticed it until someone pointed it out and apparently it's on the blu-ray restoration for the diamond and signature editions, including the multiple versions of the film like the sing-along, theatrical, and extended editions, as well as the DVD and digital copy. Not sure about the 3D blu-ray. The platinum DVD (the second picture linked) didn't have this issue so at least that restoration got something right.

http://i63.tinypic.com/24cuuft.jpg
http://i66.tinypic.com/2a4tqv8.jpg
ImageImage
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

It turns out the next Signature is Bambi. It'll be released on June 06, 2017. The sequel and the two-movie pack will be DMC exclusives.

ImageImageImageImageImageImage
Vlad
Collector's Edition

Post by Vlad »

Wow, Bambi's cover looks very nice. :)

Bambi II seems to be getting the same cover over and over again. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
blackcauldron85

Post by blackcauldron85 »

Sotiris wrote:
That's just a mock-up, right? Because it says "Anniversary Edition" instead of "75th Anniversary Edition"...?
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

blackcauldron85 wrote:That's just a mock-up, right? Because it says "Anniversary Edition" instead of "75th Anniversary Edition"...?
I guess? I found it on the Disney Movie Club website.
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

OMG I LOVE ALL those covers!!!! But especially the first! Gives me hope for my other favorite, and most favorite, films to get such good covers!
pikachufan1336
Gold Classic Collection

Post by pikachufan1336 »

Wait time out JUNE 6!!!
That's super early!

Why though?

Are they doing 3 Vault additions this year!?!
JeanGreyForever
Signature Collection

I think The Lion King will be the fall release. The tsum tsum promotion said that anyway.
Last edited by JeanGreyForever on Fri Mar 31, 2017 2:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
ImageImage
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

JeanGreyForever wrote:The tsum tsum promotion said that anyway.
What promotion? Do you have a pic?
JeanGreyForever
Signature Collection

Sotiris wrote:
JeanGreyForever wrote:The tsum tsum promotion said that anyway.
What promotion? Do you have a pic?
Oh sorry. It was actually in the funko pop thread here and it was in a list of another user's guesses on what the themes for more waves of funko pops would be for this year. I glanced at it and assumed it was an official promo which said The Lion King would be coming out. So ignore what I said.
ImageImage
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

Updated cover.

Source: http://zeusonline.ca/304547
DisneyFreak5282
Anniversary Edition

Post by DisneyFreak5282 »

Wow, it feels like I just bought the Diamond Edition Blu-Ray not too long ago for Bambi. I'll still be buying it as I love the cover and it'll be nice to have the option for the digital copy. I guess now is also a good chance to finally pick up Bambi II, as I didn't buy its first two releases.

As for the possibility of The Lion King this fall, I would like to see a 3D reissue (I only have the standard Blu-Ray). I've given up on the prospect of decent bonus features, given Disney's track record with these Signature Collection films (especially BatB), but I can dream. I'd also like to see a re-release of the sequels, which I also skipped out on last time.
UDer #3495 :D