Oscar for Best Animated Feature 2017

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
Sotiris
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Oscar for Best Animated Feature 2017

Post by Sotiris »

Previously:

Oscar for Best Animated Feature 2010
Oscar for Best Animated Feature 2011
Oscar for Best Animated Feature 2012
Oscar for Best Animated Feature 2013
Oscar for Best Animated Feature 2014
Oscar for Best Animated Feature 2015
Oscar for Best Animated Feature 2016

As per Academy rules, 8 to 12 eligible films are required for a field of three nominees, 13 to 15 for a field of four, and 16 or more for a field of five.

The eligible features for the 2017 Academy Awards are the following.

Animal Crackers
Another Day of Life
Apocalypsis (Theosis)
Beast of Burden
Blazing Samurai
Boss Baby
California Raisins
Captain Underpants
Cars 3
Charming
Coco
Despicable Me 3
Dogtanian and the Three Muskehounds
Duck Duck Goose
Foxed!
Ghostforce
Gnome Alone
Godzilla
Henchmen
Here Comes the Grump
In This Corner of the World
Ivan Tsarevitch and the Changing Princess: Four Enchanting Tales
Kensuke’s Kingdom
Kikoriki: Legend of the Golden Dragon
Kong
Leap!
Leonardo
Louise by the Shore
Manou the Swift
Maya the Bee 2: The Honey Games
Melody
Morten on the Ship of Fools
My Entire High School Sinking Into the Sea
My Little Pony: The Movie
No Way José
One Piece Film: Gold
Ping Pong Rabbit
Red Shoes & the 7 Dwarfs
Resident Evil: Vendetta
Revengeance
Rock Dog
Seoul Station
Smurfs: The Lost Village
Spark: A Space Tail
The Adventures of Tintin: Prisoners of the Sun
The Ark and the Aardvark
The Boxcar Children: Surprise Island
The Breadwinner
The Bremen Town Musicians
The Emoji Movie
The Girl Without Hands
The Guardian Brothers
The Jungle Bunch: The Movie
The Lego Batman Movie
The Lego Ninjago Movie
The Little Vampire
The Nut Job 2: Nutty by Nature
The Son of Bigfoot
The Star
The Story of Ferdinand
The Thousand Miles
Troll: The Rise of Harry Potter, Jr
The Willoughbys
Vic the Viking: The Movie
Wish Police

Notes

Ancien and the Magic Tablet which was released in Japan on March 18, 2017 has yet to secure U.S. distribution.

A Stork's Journey which received a limited theatrical release in the U.S. on June 30, 2017 is not eligible as it was released on VOD prior to its theatrical exhibition.

Batman vs. Two-Face will receive a limited theatrical release in the U.S. in 2017 but not an Oscar-qualifying run.

The Big Bad Fox and Other Tales which was released in France on June 21, 2017 has yet to secure U.S. distribution.

Boonie Bears: Mystical Winter which will be released in the U.S. in 2017 is not eligible as it was released overseas in 2015.

Bunyan & Babe which received a limited theatrical release in the U.S. on February 03, 2017 is not eligible as it was released on VOD prior to its theatrical exhibition.

The Irregular at Magic High School: The Movie — The Girl Who Summons the Stars received a limited theatrical release in the U.S. on July 28, 2017 but not an Oscar-qualifying run.

Justice League Dark received a limited theatrical release in the U.S. on January 23, 2017 but not an Oscar-qualifying run.

Kizumonogatari Part 3: Reiketsu received a limited theatrical release in the U.S. on April 07, 2017 but not an Oscar-qualifying run.

Lu Over the Wall which was released in Japan on May 19, 2017 has yet to secure U.S. distribution.

Mary and the Witch's Flower which was released in Japan on July 08, 2017 has yet to secure U.S. distribution.

Monster Trucks which was released in the U.S. on January 13, 2017 may not be eligible since it is a CG/live-action hybrid. Per Academy rules, animation must be featured in at least 75% of a film's running time to be considered eligible.

Night Is Short, Walk On Girl which was released in Japan on April 07, 2017 has yet to secure U.S. distribution.

Paddington 2 which will be released in the U.K. on November 10, 2017 has yet to secure U.S. distribution. Additionally, it may not be eligible since it is a CG/live-action hybrid.

Peppa Pig: My First Cinema Experience which was released in the U.K. on April 07, 2017 has yet to secure U.S. distribution.

Sword Art Online: The Movie – Ordinal Scale received a limited theatrical release in the U.S. on February 18, 2017 but not an Oscar-qualifying run.

Urfin Jus and His Wooden Soldiers which was released in Russia on April 20, 2017 has yet to secure U.S. distribution.

Where's the Dragon? which received a limited theatrical release in the U.S. on January 27, 2017 is not eligible as it was released overseas in 2015.

Window Horses which was released in Canada on March 10, 2017 has yet to secure U.S. distribution.

Yu-Gi-Oh!: The Dark Side of Dimensions received a limited theatrical release in the U.S. on January 27, 2017 but not an Oscar-qualifying run.
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
Lady Cluck
Anniversary Edition

Re: Oscar for Best Animated Feature 2017

Post by Lady Cluck »

When can we expect the thread for Oscar 2053 speculation??????
LADY Image CLUCK
thelittleursula
Anniversary Edition

Post by thelittleursula »

Despicable Me 3
Dr. Seuss' How the Grinch Stole Christmas
The Croods 2
The Lego Movie 2
2017 is sounding really terrible.

:|
disneyprincess11
Diamond Edition

Post by disneyprincess11 »

And it is possible that Moana could be moved to 2017. That being said, it could be the shoo-in if the year looks this bad. :lol:
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

Lady Cluck wrote:When can we expect the thread for Oscar 2053 speculation??????
:lol: Any minute now. :P

Preview: 60+ Animated Feature Films to Look for in 2017
http://www.cartoonbrew.com/feature-film ... 46865.html

Animated Features of 2017
http://www.skwigly.co.uk/animated-features-2017/

Animated Views’ 2017 Animated Movie Guide
http://animatedviews.com/2017/animated- ... vie-guide/
disneyprincess11
Diamond Edition

Post by disneyprincess11 »

Bollywood Monkey Superstar/Mumbai Musical is coming out March 10, 2017, not 2016.
rodrigo_ca
Special Edition

Post by rodrigo_ca »

I swear I had to double check my calendar to make sure I hadn't missed anything.

In this case and at this point, I'll just hope Disney or Pixar do the best they can and win once more :wave:
ce1ticmoon
Gold Classic Collection

Post by ce1ticmoon »

A couple of possible contenders (at least, potentially eligible for submission):

This one was posted in another thread, but it is the new film from Hiromasa Yonebayashi, from new Studio Ponoc, made up of a bunch of former Studio Ghibli staff members:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XrN9QZLmJ0E[/youtube]

And a new Masaaki Yuasa film! Considering the staff involved, it looks like we'll be getting a higher budget version of Tatami Galaxy of sorts.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T14bA7BToPM[/youtube]
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

This is devastating and preposterous. :x This will undoubtedly prevent indie and 2D movies from ever getting nominated. It's just going to be a slew of CG studio films from now on.
Nominations for Best Animated Feature will now be in the hands of the entire Academy, not just the members of the Short Films and Feature Animation Branch. That group has been accused in recent years of favoring traditional animation and smaller-budget films over studio CGI; most notably, its members drew some ire when The Lego Movie was left off the ballot in 2014.
Source: http://www.avclub.com/article/oscars-no ... d-a-253411
Lady Cluck
Anniversary Edition

Post by Lady Cluck »

Horrible rule change. It was always nice seeing lesser known foreign/indie/2D animation getting honored with surprise nominations.

The whole point of this category is dead now.
LADY Image CLUCK
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

Lady Cluck wrote:The whole point of this category is dead now.
Exactly. I hope they're happy with giving The Boss Baby and Cars 3 an Oscar nomination. :roll:

Oscars: Will New Animated Voting Procedures Hurt Smaller Films?
http://variety.com/2017/film/in-content ... 202026484/

How New Oscars Rules Could Impact Animation Nominees
http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/behind ... ity-992096

As Animation Oscar Rule Changes, GKIDS Unveils Latest Film
http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/behind ... ilm-992869
DisneyEra
Anniversary Edition

Post by DisneyEra »

:x
Sotiris wrote:
Lady Cluck wrote:The whole point of this category is dead now.
Exactly. I hope they're happy with giving The Boss Baby and Cars 3 an Oscar nomination. :roll:
Who cares about the nominations, we already know Pixar is gonna win this year for Coco & next year for The Incredibles 2. Oh, & they may win yet again in 2019 for Toy Story 4 :x
Avaitor
Collector's Edition

Post by Avaitor »

Even though this is still John Lasseter's award, it was nice to have other animated films nominated than just the major studios. It ups their agenda and gives people a chance to check them out.

And frankly, most of the foreign/independent films are better than what we come out with, anyway. And The Lego Movie is still an obnoxious commercial with headache-inducing animation.
D82
Signature Collection

Post by D82 »

That’s horrible. Out of all the awards organizations, the Oscars were the ones which had the most deserving nominees in that category. Now they’ll have the same candidates as the Critics’ Choice or the Golden Globes. I guess companies like DreamWorks and Illumination, which don’t get many films nominated lately, must have pressured the Academy to make this change.
Tristy
Special Edition

Post by Tristy »

I wish they never even made this stupid category! It just really shows how little they care about the medium! They just hand over the award to Pixar! So seriously! What is the point of having this award if you end up favoring a certain studio anyway? Oh sure! Let's all favor animated movies with juvenile humor and little regard for artistic merit because Heaven forbid that some animated movie should have feelings of emotional weight or heck, kind of scary moments that are actually exciting!
estefan
Platinum Edition

Post by estefan »

Yeah, the nice thing about this category is the nominees that were selected were chosen simply for their own merit. Due to the way it was chosen by a committee who watched many of the films, it felt free of the excessive campaigning common in the Best Picture and acting categories.

Now, the studios will need to campaign the animated films to make sure voters put the DVD screeners near the top of their pile. While the assumption is that only big studio animated films will be recognised, I think GKIDS will still make sure voters watch their films. They managed to get My Life as a Zucchini Golden Globe recognition, after all, and the HFPA is usually prone to favouring big studio movies over small films. So I wouldn't count out The Breadwinner (which has the added recognition of having Angelina Jolie as a producer) as a potential nominee next year. Sony Classics and Focus Features will also make sure voters see their films, so I still think The Red Turtle and Kubo would have gotten in, even if the current system had been implemented last year. Ditto Anomalisa, which had the backing of Paramount and Oscar darling Charlie Kaufman. Kubo did win the BAFTA, so it had plenty of fans within the Academy.

I don't think they will stoop to nominating stuff like The Boss Baby and My Little Pony. I think animated films voters like will take top priority. So it's more likely to increase the chances of potentially well liked studio films like Ferdinand or The Star. But I don't think indie films will be entirely kicked to the curb, either.
"There are two wolves and they are always fighting. One is darkness and despair. The other is light and hope. Which wolf wins? Whichever one you feed." - Casey Newton, Tomorrowland
Disney's Divinity

Post by Disney's Divinity »

What an idiotic change. Animation Oscars were already eyeroll-inducing, and now they're legitimately pointless. Might as well call this the Lasseter-Katzenberg category and be done.

Now I wish Kubo had won more than I did before, so it could've been the last middle finger to the CGI garbage of today's animation landscape before the category was usurped for good.
Listening to most often lately:
Ariana Grande ~ "we can't be friends (wait for your love)"
Ariana Grande ~ "imperfect for you"
Kacey Musgraves ~ "The Architect"
unprincess
Collector's Edition

Post by unprincess »

I read about this on Cartoon Brew last night and I got so upset, I swear if I was a smoker I would have probably needed to step out for a cigarette! :x Its nauseating. Oh no, its not enough for the big wigs to make a butt-load of cash at the box office, no they also to actually get all the award noms too. Gah! :roll:
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

Things are getting worse. :(

The Rapid Growth Of The Academy’s Short Film And Feature Animation Branch — And What It Means
http://www.cartoonbrew.com/awards/rapid ... 51944.html
unprincess
Collector's Edition

Post by unprincess »

lol its funny how these bigwig studios are scared of the indies and foreigns getting any sort of attention here. Its as if they know that most of what they produce is generic and/or garbage and audiences getting even a taste of the variety and quality offered by non big USA studio animation companies might make them realize that there are other options for animation other than the usual Hollywood stuff.