Beauty and the Beast Discussion

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
Disney Duster
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Re: Beauty and the Beast Discussion

Post by Disney Duster »

They did do a really good job! And both their costumes were amazing!!!
Disney's Divinity

Post by Disney's Divinity »

MerPrincessJamie wrote: From the bottom of my heart, Disney Divinity, thank you!

Look guys, I'm just a fan trying to enjoy the boards :) Your opinions are yours and you can keep them . I'm not discounting them as they are yours and yours alone.
You're welcome. I hope you continue visiting the boards. :up: :)
Listening to most often lately:
Ariana Grande ~ "we can't be friends (wait for your love)"
Ariana Grande ~ "imperfect for you"
Kacey Musgraves ~ "The Architect"
Jc

Post by Jc »

I hope I can contribute to the community by this little something :)

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Htf3P_MDphA[/youtube]

And yeah, I really haven't seen the "Work in progress" version yet.
"Carpe Diem, Seize The Day!"
"Awesome! Totally awesome!" - Jeff Spicoli, Surfer Extraordinaire
blackcauldron85

Post by blackcauldron85 »

^ That boxed set looks amazing!!!!

Interviews with Linda Woolverton and Alan Menken:

How we made Beauty and the Beast
https://www.theguardian.com/culture/201 ... -the-beast
D82
Signature Collection

Post by D82 »

More new articles:

The Evolution of Beauty and the Beast
http://ew.com/movies/beauty-and-the-bea ... ld-as-time

An oral history of the animated Beauty and the Beast
http://ew.com/movies/2017/03/14/beauty- ... l-history/

Beauty and the Beast: The Tales Behind the Tunes
http://ew.com/movies/beauty-and-the-bea ... unes/belle

Jc wrote:I hope I can contribute to the community by this little something :)

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Htf3P_MDphA[/youtube]

And yeah, I really haven't seen the "Work in progress" version yet.
Excellent video, Jc! I hadn't seen a VHS that looked so new in quite a while :lol: And I'd love to have that book. Thanks for showing all the pages!
blackcauldron85

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qEXYL7RFiW8[/youtube]
(via mickeynews.com)

That one is pretty funny!
blackcauldron85

Did ‘Beauty and the Beast’ Win The Best Picture Oscar in 1991? Someone at Disney Thinks So
http://www.cartoonbrew.com/disney/beaut ... 50349.html
blackcauldron85

Disney Legend Paige O’Hara visits Walt Disney World, talks Beauty and the Beast
http://thedisneyblog.com/2017/06/19/dis ... uty-beast/
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

“If you want your children to be intelligent, read them fairy tales. If you want them to be more intelligent, read them more fairy tales.”

― Albert Einstein

Well, I guess this does mean Belle was smart. Is it just because of that, though? Any other reasons people think she was smart?
JeanGreyForever
Signature Collection

Post by JeanGreyForever »

Disney Duster wrote:“If you want your children to be intelligent, read them fairy tales. If you want them to be more intelligent, read them more fairy tales.”

― Albert Einstein

Well, I guess this does mean Belle was smart. Is it just because of that, though? Any other reasons people think she was smart?
Thanks to Tumblr I thought that was a Walt Disney quote.

People who read in general tend to be smarter, but that's not always true. However, their comprehension tends to be strong, as well as vocabulary. Which is pointed out a few times in Belle's conversations with Gaston. I do think it's important to note though that Belle isn't depicted as some brainy nerd who reads science books and can whip out math formulas. Her books of choice were fairy tales and legends as well as Shakespeare. The average person today can't really read Shakespeare, but I imagine that those who were literate a few hundred years ago wouldn't have found Shakespeare much more different from normal speech of the time.

I don't agree with some characterizations of her, such as if Belle was in a modern day setting, she'd be an honor roll student acing all her classes. While she may excel in English, that doesn't mean at all that she'd be a wiz kid in other classes as well. In fact, I know many book lovers who don't do well in English, because just because they like to read doesn't mean they read especially elevated material or can write as well as they read.
ImageImage
We’re a dyad in the Force. Two that are one.
"I offered you my hand once. You wanted to take it." - Kylo Ren
"I did want to take your hand. Ben's hand." - Rey
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

Oh, ok well yes then because Belle reads, and even fairy tales, she's smart, but in a literary and comprehension way.

Since I read the english 18th century (well, I think they are) versions of Perrault's fairy tales, it sounds like their language actually was still far off from what Shakespeare wrote! So Belle not having a hard time with it is still pretty smart.
Disney's Divinity

I think Belle reads more than fairytales considering how frequent she was at the bookshop and her awe at the Beast's library.
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

Yes, she does read more than fairy tales. I mean in the Special Edition she read Romeo and Juliet. I was just saying according to a very smart person, Belle is smart. I just always wondered why Belle was considered smart just because she reads. Now I know, reading really does make her smart.
Mooky
Platinum Edition

Post by Mooky »

This is only tangentially related to Beauty and the Beast, and I'm not sure if it's common knowledge or not, but I thought it was a nice little piece of trivia to not share. Back in the early 1990s, there was an animated series based on Prince Valiant comics, called The Legend of Prince Valiant. I watched the show occasionally when I was younger, but it was dubbed in a local language in my country so I never knew the original voices. Yesterday I remembered the show and looked it up on Wikipedia. It turned out that Prince Valiant was voiced by Robby Benson. Okay, cool. Then I checked the other cast members and Paige O'Hara was there too -- she appears later in the series and voices the character of princess Aleta, who in the comics is the future wife of prince Valiant (the show ended before they were married). So in a way, Belle and the Beast also ended up together in an alternate reality :)

Here's a video of the characters' first meeting (starts at 7:25):
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b3BfxIjyjHU[/youtube]

It's interesting hearing familiar voices in a different setting and context :)
Atlantica
Signature Collection

Post by Atlantica »

There has been an issue with BATB that has been bugging me for the longest time; why doesn't Belle have a significant song ? I know this was rectified in the Broadway show with 'Home', but when watching the film it does irritate that the heroine doesn't have her own 'I want' song.

I know there's 'Belle' but I regard that as an ensemble piece for sure rather than for her and her alone. The Reprise is getting there, but isn't long enough, in my own opinion. The live action film could have been a wonderful opportunity to rectify this, but I'm guessing as Emma Watson couldn't sing, they dropped the idea. It must have been an initial thought by the creators to include it, as 'Home' is featured so heavily in the score, and at all of Belle's significant moments. Especially as Beast was given such a fantastic song as well.

I'm sure many people won't agree, but just think the character deserves it is all.
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

I have thought the very same thing, except I don't count "Home" since it's not about her, really, and instead I count "A Change in Me". I think it's odd Belle and the Beast don't get their own song in the original film. Especially for a film where they say Howard Ashman "gave a Beast his soul." Exactly how did Howard contribute to the Beast?
JeanGreyForever
Signature Collection

Post by JeanGreyForever »

I agree with you guys that it's odd that Belle never got a full solo song since Belle and Belle (Reprise) both don't really count imo. I heard rumors that Home was at one point one of the songs Disney was planning on animating and re-inserting into the original film alongside Human Again. Not only Belle, but Beast as well since he's the co-protagonist imo and Howard Ashman considered him to be the film's main character. Yet, he only sings briefly in Something There and doesn't get a full song for himself at all. Gaston gets to sing more than either Belle or the Beast do which doesn't make any sense imo.

I feel the same for Jasmine in Aladdin since she never gets a solo song either. Even Esmeralda and Phoebus should have gotten a love duet (In a Place of Miracles).
ImageImage
We’re a dyad in the Force. Two that are one.
"I offered you my hand once. You wanted to take it." - Kylo Ren
"I did want to take your hand. Ben's hand." - Rey
Disney's Divinity

Maybe they made a conscious choice with the animated film for the characters to be sung to and about than to have songs themselves? Nearly every song in the film is about or directed at one or both of them. The villagers begin the post-opening of the film singing about how odd Belle is, then later mirror that in the last non-reprise song by singing of their terror of the Beast; the servants of course egg them on while reminiscing about the past they believe the two will bring back; even "Gaston" ultimately hinges on Belle's rejection and then how to make her submit in the reprise. So many of the songs are about how the characters are viewed by the spectators (villagers/Gaston/servants)--"Gaston" revolves around the villagers' view of Gaston, too. That must be why "Something There" is so pivotal--and perfectly placed at the center of the soundtrack--it's the only song where we get to hear Belle and the Beast directly.

"A Change in Me" and "Evermore" are the best songs for Belle and the Beast I've heard outside the animated film. The reason those two are satisfying (imo) despite neither of them being "I want" songs is because they show how the characters have been affected by one another. Too bad they didn't include ACiM in the live-action film. I can only imagine how pretty a medley of the two songs together, then a segue into B&tB would be.
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

Disney's Divinity, you may be right that that's what they were trying to do with the songs. However I still find it odd they chose to do that. Have everyone sing about others. Except the enchanted objects get to sing a whole song about themselves for some reason. Maybe just the main characters get sung about by others. Maybe that was the idea.

Still wish I knew what Howard Ashman did to give a Beast his soul. Then again I haven't seen the making-ofs yet.
blackcauldron85

Howard Ashman executive produced B&tB.