Christopher Robin (Live-Action)

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
Old Fish Tale
Anniversary Edition

Re: Disney's live-action Winnie the Pooh

Post by Old Fish Tale »

Mooky wrote:Given what we've seen so far with these wretched things, I see three ways this new WtP movie can go:
1. Christopher Robin is now a heartless, cynical businessman and needs to be reminded of his childlike innocence and sense of wonder with the help of his friends from the Hundred Acre Wood; also known as Scrooged Poohed...

or

2. Christopher Robin is an overworked spineless pushover who is constantly brought down by his friends/family/colleagues and told that visions of his friends from the Hundred Acre Wood are merely delusions, so at first he tries to fight them but at the end he embraces his inner child, complete with a big speech in the end. His bullies have a change of heart, everyone is happy.

or

3. Christopher Robin, now in his mid-twenties, is having recurring nightmares of a place called the Hundred Acre Wood, filled with strangely familiar monsters. After a freak accident, he finds himself in the land of his nightmares where he encounters his childhood imaginary friends Pooh, Piglet and Tigger too who are now living under a repressed regime of a being known only as the Heff. Reluctantly, Christopher Robin fights the Heff (who turns out to be a manifestation of his middle school tormentor), restores order to the Hundred Acre Wood and goes back to his own world. It is left ambiguous if the events were real or if Christopher Robin was in a coma.

A combo of these three versions is also possible.
Perhaps Alex Ross Perry will surprise you.
estefan
Platinum Edition

Post by estefan »

On the one hand, I think any of these projects have the potential to be good. On the other hand, I also understand peoples' frustrations with these, since these daily announcements have almost become comical and over-the-top at this point and also feel like a studio just playing it safe.

And out of all the major studios, Disney is the one who can most afford to take some risks. They have all these safety nets with Pixar, Star Wars, Marvel and the main animation unit. If they take a chance on a risky project and it flops, a Marvel or a Pixar is right around the corner to ease the bleeding (like how all of the money Disney lost on John Carter was ultimately paid for when The Avengers broke records). But if a risky, original property is a massive hit...
"There are two wolves and they are always fighting. One is darkness and despair. The other is light and hope. Which wolf wins? Whichever one you feed." - Casey Newton, Tomorrowland
Disneyphile
Special Edition

Post by Disneyphile »

The irony is that Disney isn't really taking many risks. Aside from the DreamWorks/Touchstone movies, practically every film on their schedule is: a) animated b) a Marvel or Star Wars film c) a sequel or adaptation of a previous film, or d) some combination of the above.
Mooky
Platinum Edition

Post by Mooky »

Old Fish Tale wrote:Perhaps Alex Ross Perry will surprise you.
I won't hold my breath,
Old Fish Tale
Anniversary Edition

Post by Old Fish Tale »

Are you familiar with his work?
Mooky
Platinum Edition

Post by Mooky »

No, only with what IMDb tells me -- that he's an independent filmmaker. Regardless of the quality of his previous work, it's almost given that any creative input he has on this movie will take a backseat to Disney's corporate, by-the-numbers filmmaking.
Old Fish Tale
Anniversary Edition

Post by Old Fish Tale »

But isn't he writing the script too?
Sotiris
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Post by Sotiris »

Screenwriter Alex Ross Perry talks about the upcoming live-action Winnie the Pooh movie for the first time.
“I had been talking about a children’s property I was interested in, which of course seems surprising to everyone,” Perry stated, “It was just one of the things after Listen Up Phillip that I said to people that I care about. Nothing happened with [the children’s adaptation]; but eight months later, [my agent] randomly called me and said ‘Hey I was on the phone with someone at Disney and they’re trying to get [Winnie the Pooh] going. Do you want to talk with them about it? It’s similar to the thing you were trying to do before.’ I said, ‘Yeah – I will earn that job. I will earn that job the minute they talk to me.”

Ross Perry has up-to now written only his own original material; Winnie the Pooh will be his first stab at writing for pre-existing characters. “I’m learning now about writing in a voice of something you didn’t create” he confides, “There’s eight animal friends in the movie and each one has a specifically distinctive voice that everybody remembers exactly the way it is. So it’s different…”

I press if he’s attempting to recapture those same voices or put his own specific spin on it. Perry answered succinctly – “You can’t give people a movie that is different from what they remember otherwise they’ll hate it.” The eight characters will “represent the part of the story they represent”; but Perry is quick to add – “Everything else is new.”

Tonally – Alex Ross Perry seems to be going for a more somber take on the children’s classic. I ask what films he’s looking to – and he reveals it’s not necessarily a children’s film that has inspired him. “There’s a lot inspired by the relationship between David and Teddy in AI” Perry explains, “That’s not really a children’s film at all. Crushingly depressing. But the relationship between human and toy bear in that movie is pretty spot on. And Fantastic Mr. Fox is something I’ve been talking about and thinking about because it has a lot of characters and each one is pretty distinct. It’s a fun movie and it works for a four year old and for a thirty year old. But David and Teddy in AI is the relevant model.”

Ross Perry continues – “We’re looking at Toy Story a lot because that’s a thing about toys that are alive just as Pooh Bear and his friends are all stuffed animals. Those films are all emotionally satisfying and classy and clever in a really sophisticated way. Last time when I was out at Disney, we watched forty minutes of Regarding Henry. That’s part of where our heads are at with this type of movie. Holiday was also a film we talked about a lot for some reason. It’s all pretty surprising.”
Source: http://collider.com/winnie-the-pooh-mov ... interview/
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
Disney's Divinity

Post by Disney's Divinity »

Sotiris wrote:Tonally – Alex Ross Perry seems to be going for a more somber take on the children’s classic. I ask what films he’s looking to – and he reveals it’s not necessarily a children’s film that has inspired him. “There’s a lot inspired by the relationship between David and Teddy in AI” Perry explains, “That’s not really a children’s film at all. Crushingly depressing. But the relationship between human and toy bear in that movie is pretty spot on.
No surprise there--it's the first thing I thought of when hearing they were making a live-action film. WtP is well-suited to nostalgic melancholy.
Listening to most often lately:
Ariana Grande ~ "we can't be friends (wait for your love)"
Ariana Grande ~ "imperfect for you"
Kacey Musgraves ~ "The Architect"
D82
Signature Collection

Post by D82 »

As happens with The Jungle Book, that there are two adaptations coming out from different studios, it looks like Disney isn't the only studio developing a film about Winnie the Pooh, though the other one is more a biopic about author A.A. Milne.
One of Disney’s more curious live-action updates is their upcoming Winnie the Pooh film, scripted by Queen of Earth director Alex Ross Perry. In addition to that film, Fox Searchlight has a Hundred Acre Wood-adjacent project in the works exploring the life of Pooh creator and author A.A. Milne, giving audiences a chance to get to know the man who brought everyone’s favorite chubby little cubby all stuffed with fluff to life.

Deadline reports that Star Wars: The Force Awakens and Ex Machina star Domhnall Gleeson is considering a brief intermission from sci-fi, as he’s in talks to portray Milne in Goodbye Christopher Robin. Simon Curtis (The Woman in Gold) is directing the film based on the life of Milne, who used his son Christopher Robin as inspiration for Winnie the Pooh’s human friend.
Source: http://screencrush.com/the-force-awaken ... in-biopic/
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

Sotiris wrote:Tonally – Alex Ross Perry seems to be going for a more somber take on the children’s classic. I ask what films he’s looking to – and he reveals it’s not necessarily a children’s film that has inspired him. “There’s a lot inspired by the relationship between David and Teddy in AI” Perry explains, “That’s not really a children’s film at all. Crushingly depressing. But the relationship between human and toy bear in that movie is pretty spot on.
Wait...that doesn't make any sense. It was a human-like robot and a robot bear.
DisneyFan09
Platinum Edition

Post by DisneyFan09 »

Hmmm, interesting. Despite Winnie the Pooh not being entirely a Disney property, it is mostly associable with Disney. And most people associate it with Disney. So it's definitively going to be interesting to see a Winnie the Pooh film from another company.
Disney's Divinity

Post by Disney's Divinity »

Disney Duster wrote:
Wait...that doesn't make any sense. It was a human-like robot and a robot bear.
You can’t expect the world to cater to your obsession with robots. The point makes complete sense to anyone who's watched AI.
Listening to most often lately:
Ariana Grande ~ "we can't be friends (wait for your love)"
Ariana Grande ~ "imperfect for you"
Kacey Musgraves ~ "The Architect"
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

Disney's Divinity wrote:
Disney Duster wrote: Wait...that doesn't make any sense. It was a human-like robot and a robot bear.
You can’t expect the world to cater to your obsession with robots. The point makes complete sense to anyone who's watched AI.
I watched it and I don't feel the same as everyone else. If other people feel it I think it's wrong but I have to admit they feel it.
Barbossa
Collector's Edition

Post by Barbossa »

The live-action Winnie the Pooh is here!
8) :lol: :D

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x6o_q40ijKU[/youtube]
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

The movie has found its director.
Marc Forster has come aboard to direct Christopher Robin, Disney’s live-action fantasy project centering on the human character in Winnie the Pooh. Brigham Taylor, who produced Disney’s recent mega-hit The Jungle Book, is producing Robin, which has a script by Alex Ross Perry.

The story centers on Robin, the adult version of the boy who in the A.A. Milne books shares his adventures with the animals of the Hundred Acre Wood. Robin has grown out of the joyful imagination he had as a young boy and is now a businessman who prioritizes work over his wife and daughter. With his home life on the brink, the last thing his life needs is the return of Pooh, who needs his help in finding his friends again. Robin has to find a way to help both sides or risk losing everything he holds dear.

The project is described as having strong elements of magical realism as it seeks to tell an emotional journey that is combined with a heartwarming adventure.
Source: http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-v ... vie-948831
JeanGreyForever
Signature Collection

Post by JeanGreyForever »

I'm not at all excited. This is exactly what was predicted and basically seems a rehash of Hook.
ImageImage
We’re a dyad in the Force. Two that are one.
"I offered you my hand once. You wanted to take it." - Kylo Ren
"I did want to take your hand. Ben's hand." - Rey
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

The screenwriter has been replaced.
“Spotlight” writer-director Tom McCarthy is re-writing Disney’s “Christopher Robin,” bringing momentum to the live-action fantasy movie. The move to hire McCarthy, who won a best original screenplay Oscar last year with Josh Singer for “Spotlight,” comes three months after Marc Forster (“Finding Neverland”) came on board to direct. The producer is Brigham Taylor (“The Jungle Book”). Alex Ross Perry was hired in November to write the first draft of the screenplay.
Source: http://variety.com/2017/film/awards/spo ... 202000303/
Mooky
Platinum Edition

Post by Mooky »

Sotiris wrote:The movie has found its director.
Marc Forster has come aboard to direct Christopher Robin, Disney’s live-action fantasy project centering on the human character in Winnie the Pooh. Brigham Taylor, who produced Disney’s recent mega-hit The Jungle Book, is producing Robin, which has a script by Alex Ross Perry.

The story centers on Robin, the adult version of the boy who in the A.A. Milne books shares his adventures with the animals of the Hundred Acre Wood. Robin has grown out of the joyful imagination he had as a young boy and is now a businessman who prioritizes work over his wife and daughter. With his home life on the brink, the last thing his life needs is the return of Pooh, who needs his help in finding his friends again. Robin has to find a way to help both sides or risk losing everything he holds dear.

The project is described as having strong elements of magical realism as it seeks to tell an emotional journey that is combined with a heartwarming adventure.
Source: http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-v ... vie-948831
Totally called it! :lol:
On April 4 2015 Mooky wrote:Given what we've seen so far with these wretched things, I see three ways this new WtP movie can go:
1. Christopher Robin is now a heartless, cynical businessman and needs to be reminded of his childlike innocence and sense of wonder with the help of his friends from the Hundred Acre Wood; also known as Scrooged Poohed...

or

2. Christopher Robin is an overworked spineless pushover who is constantly brought down by his friends/family/colleagues and told that visions of his friends from the Hundred Acre Wood are merely delusions, so at first he tries to fight them but at the end he embraces his inner child, complete with a big speech in the end. His bullies have a change of heart, everyone is happy.

or

3. Christopher Robin, now in his mid-twenties, is having recurring nightmares of a place called the Hundred Acre Wood, filled with strangely familiar monsters. After a freak accident, he finds himself in the land of his nightmares where he encounters his childhood imaginary friends Pooh, Piglet and Tigger too who are now living under a repressed regime of a being known only as the Heff. Reluctantly, Christopher Robin fights the Heff (who turns out to be a manifestation of his middle school tormentor), restores order to the Hundred Acre Wood and goes back to his own world. It is left ambiguous if the events were real or if Christopher Robin was in a coma.

A combo of these three versions is also possible.
thedisneyspirit
Anniversary Edition

Post by thedisneyspirit »

:headshake: Cancel this.