What would it take to write a Disney book?

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
Big Disney Fan
Platinum Edition

What would it take to write a Disney book?

Post by Big Disney Fan »

I've been thinking of writing a book on something Disney. I was inspired by receiving J.B. Kaufman and Russell Merrit's book on the Silly Symphonies for Christmas. Does anyone know the best approach for writing a book? For example, are there animation historians I could reach out to, like, say, Kaufman or Jerry Beck?
geniuswalt
Gold Classic Collection

Re: What would it take to write a Disney book?

Post by geniuswalt »

Big Disney Fan wrote:I've been thinking of writing a book on something Disney. I was inspired by receiving J.B. Kaufman and Russell Merrit's book on the Silly Symphonies for Christmas. Does anyone know the best approach for writing a book? For example, are there animation historians I could reach out to, like, say, Kaufman or Jerry Beck?
I suggest you get in touch with John Canemaker. He has a boatload of knowledge about Disney and animation in general.
I once reached out to him after watching the bonus feature on Herman Schultheis featured on the DVD release of Fantasia because I was fascinated by that story and that man.
Mr. Canemaker was extremely nice and helpful. He even mailed me some articles/printouts he had on the subject (I live outside the US!). I also asked him if he would publish that book and lo and behold he recently published a wonderful book on the subject.
Last edited by geniuswalt on Fri Jan 27, 2017 1:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jules
Diamond Edition

Post by Jules »

Is John Canemaker easy to contact? I know it can be somewhat difficult to contact certain persons. Andreas Deja comes to mind. He has a blog, but I don't know if he has ever shared his email address, and the last time I checked he did not seem to have a Facebook account either.

Facebook can be a very efficient way to find someone you admire, but it does feel weird when they "friend" you and you then can read everything they write on their wall, including messages and jokes intended for their loved ones or close friends. :(
milojthatch
Collector's Edition

Post by milojthatch »

Big Disney Fan wrote:I've been thinking of writing a book on something Disney. I was inspired by receiving J.B. Kaufman and Russell Merrit's book on the Silly Symphonies for Christmas. Does anyone know the best approach for writing a book? For example, are there animation historians I could reach out to, like, say, Kaufman or Jerry Beck?
You don't need to team up with a historian, but you probobly should have a lawyer who knows the ins and outs of copyright law. You should do your own research and not rest on the research of someone else. Otherwise it might as well be their book. It's best if you reach out to Disney Publishing, but know that if you publish images of Disney's copyrighted content, you will have to pay Disney Publishing a few dollars. Last time I checked it's in the ballpark of $300 per image. You also need a publisher and will need to decide if if you want printed copies or if you just want them all digital. You have to figure out things like distribution, advertising and how much you have for a budget to pay for all of this.

Good luck.
Last edited by milojthatch on Mon Feb 13, 2017 1:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
All the adversity I've had in my life, all my troubles and obstacles, have strengthened me... You may not realize it when it happens, but a kick in the teeth may be the best thing in the world for you.

-Walt Disney
Big Disney Fan
Platinum Edition

Post by Big Disney Fan »

My main subject, interestingly, is Goofy. There hasn't been any books on Goofy since 1985. That's when they produced a book called "Goofy: The Good Sport". That, of course, was long before "Goof Troop" and "A Goofy Movie", among much, much else.

I was thinking of reaching out to, say, J.B. Kaufman, who wrote a book on the Silly Symphonies recently, along with books on Snow White and Pinocchio, so I thought he might be a good fit.
milojthatch
Collector's Edition

Post by milojthatch »

Big Disney Fan wrote:My main subject, interestingly, is Goofy. There hasn't been any books on Goofy since 1985. That's when they produced a book called "Goofy: The Good Sport". That, of course, was long before "Goof Troop" and "A Goofy Movie", among much, much else.

I was thinking of reaching out to, say, J.B. Kaufman, who wrote a book on the Silly Symphonies recently, along with books on Snow White and Pinocchio, so I thought he might be a good fit.
I've had ideas in the similar ball park, but I just don't know if I want to deal with the crap it would take to get it done. It helps that I know people who worked on some of the titles you mentioned, but at this point I'd rather that those people write these books. However if you are stuck on the idea, you have my sincere best wishes. Good luck.
All the adversity I've had in my life, all my troubles and obstacles, have strengthened me... You may not realize it when it happens, but a kick in the teeth may be the best thing in the world for you.

-Walt Disney
blackcauldron85
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Post by blackcauldron85 »

Hi BDF! I was browsing Theme Park Press' book selection, and they have a book that may give some insight into how to write a Disney book:

http://themeparkpress.com/books/disney-historian.htm
Big Disney Fan
Platinum Edition

Post by Big Disney Fan »

blackcauldron85 wrote:Hi BDF! I was browsing Theme Park Press' book selection, and they have a book that may give some insight into how to write a Disney book:

http://themeparkpress.com/books/disney-historian.htm
I've seen it and it does offer some great insight, but I was also trying to find out what it would take to get into the technical stuff that may not be in the Theme Park Press books. And besides, a lot of them tend to be more personal, such as those books by cast members.
blackcauldron85
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Post by blackcauldron85 »

Yeah, I was just recommending that book(not "So and So Gets Their Ears [not knocking those, but not related :p] (not that I've read it-- I just saw it and thought of you). :)

Have you, since you last posted, had the opportunity to contact any authors?? Or maybe also contacting Theme Park Press books might give you some info/contacts??

I'm no expert, just trying to help your noble cause!
Big Disney Fan
Platinum Edition

Post by Big Disney Fan »

blackcauldron85 wrote:Yeah, I was just recommending that book(not "So and So Gets Their Ears [not knocking those, but not related :p] (not that I've read it-- I just saw it and thought of you). :)

Have you, since you last posted, had the opportunity to contact any authors?? Or maybe also contacting Theme Park Press books might give you some info/contacts??

I'm no expert, just trying to help your noble cause!
Thanks. I actually had contacted TPP some time ago, but it didn't really get much anywhere.
DisneyFan09
Platinum Edition

Post by DisneyFan09 »

I know this isn't a response to your question, but I wish you good luck with the book. I'll hope that you'll be able to write it.
Big Disney Fan
Platinum Edition

Post by Big Disney Fan »

DisneyFan09 wrote:I know this isn't a response to your question, but I wish you good luck with the book. I'll hope that you'll be able to write it.
Maybe someday...
DisneyFan09
Platinum Edition

Post by DisneyFan09 »

Just wondering, is it even possible for an outsider who's not an famous or established author to even write a book about Disney? Doesn't Disney have certain laws and rules against such things?