Aladdin (Live-Action)

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
Jack Skellington
Anniversary Edition

Re: Live-Action Aladdin in Development: Thoughts?

Post by Jack Skellington »

I'm of Middle Eastern descent, and I'm in no way offended about the choice, he could definitely make a good Aladdin (provided he can sing if this is gonna end up as a musical), physically I always thought Toby Sebastian who plays Trystane Martell in Game of Thrones would eventually be cast as Aladdin.http://www.imdb.com/name/nm4514519/
disneyprincess11
Diamond Edition

Post by disneyprincess11 »

I mean he looks the part, but come on, Disney! You were doing great!
Disney's Divinity
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Post by Disney's Divinity »

Jack Skellington wrote:physically I always thought Toby Sebastian who plays Trystane Martell in Game of Thrones would eventually be cast as Aladdin.http://www.imdb.com/name/nm4514519/
I agree, he'd be a wonderful Aladdin. :up:
Listening to most often lately:
Ariana Grande ~ "we can't be friends (wait for your love)"
Ariana Grande ~ "imperfect for you"
Kacey Musgraves ~ "The Architect"
PatrickvD
Signature Collection

Post by PatrickvD »

People should stop being so ridiculous about ethnicity.

My boyfriend who is Persian was constantly addressed in Italian on our trip to Rome. Simple truth is they don't look that different. It's history, religion and concepts of west versus east that have separated Southern Europeans from Iranians and Arabs, but evolutionarily they are practically identical.

These differences that supposedly make a casting choice like this 'offensive' are all in our heads.

The guy literally looks like he stepped out of the animated feature. I'd even say he looks slightly Indian.
Jay
Anniversary Edition

Post by Jay »

Sotiris wrote:Luke Pasqualino is in negotiations to star in the live-action adaptation of Aladdin. Even though he can pass as Middle Eastern, apparently he's only of Italian descent. People are not going to be happy about this.

He kinda looked like Aladdin in the BBC TV series The Musketeers.

He is very hot but reminds me more of Flynn than Aladdin. Aladdin is good looking but needs a boyish charm I think. Toby Sebastian looks the part more imo.

But Luke Pasgualino looks good and I'm sure would be great in the role.
ChrisLyne
Gold Classic Collection

Post by ChrisLyne »

I liked Luke in Musketeers and he definitely has the right look for the part. My dream pick is still Adam Jacobs (I know, never gonna happen) but I'd be more than happy if Luke did get the role.

To be honest I'm actually hoping this isn't a musical. I'm way too protective of the animated classic and the stage show and I just know if they did the movie as a full blown musical they'd cast names/stars over singing ability for most of the roles and I'd just be really disappointed. I'm hoping for more of an action/adventure comedy with some of the music retained where appropriate (like Jungle Book). Hopefully that's what they meant when they said this will retain some "musical elements".

Plus I'm still holding on to the hope that if Newsies Live does well they'll do the same for Aladdin whilst it still has most of it's original cast! That would be the best of both worlds, a full HD recording of the stage show and a more action/adventure live action movie version, both inspired by but different from the animated feature in their own ways.
disneyprincess11
Diamond Edition

Re: Aladdin live-action prequel

In a recent interview, the film's producer, Dan Lin, expressed his intention to cast the film with ethnically authentic actors, stating: "Look at me. (Laughs) I mean I'm not a typical guy. Listen I'm very fortunate working in Hollywood; I am diverse. So when I came in to make the movie, I wanted to make a diverse version of the movie. Luckily for me Guy Ritchie has the same vision and Disney has the same vision, so we're not here to make Prince of Persia. We want to make a movie that's authentic to that world. "We're gonna be discovering new people because it's a real challenge, because not only does an actor have to act, but they really have to have singing chops."
http://collider.com/aladdin-live-action ... t/#dan-lin
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

They really have to have singing chops.
Yes! Fingers crossed it'll be full-blown musical à la Beauty and the Beast and not just a couple of songs like it was in The Jungle Book.
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
thedisneyspirit
Anniversary Edition

Post by thedisneyspirit »

Maybe it's just me, but after BATB I'm not really invested in any other remake. Aladdin could work, but brr, a horrible CGI Genie/Friend like me/Prince Ali can really turn me off the experience.
Disney's Divinity

Post by Disney's Divinity »

Sotiris wrote:Yes! Fingers crossed it'll be full-blown musical à la Beauty and the Beast and not just a couple of songs like it was in The Jungle Book.
Same. (And I'm guessing the reaction to B&tB-LA will be the deciding point in its favor, actually.) If that happened, I wonder if they would carry anything over from the musical or make new songs like with B&tB-LA?
Listening to most often lately:
Ariana Grande ~ "we can't be friends (wait for your love)"
Ariana Grande ~ "imperfect for you"
Kacey Musgraves ~ "The Architect"
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

Disney's Divinity wrote:If that happened, I wonder if they would carry anything over from the musical or make new songs like with B&tB-LA?
They'd probably carry over Proud of Your Boy, if nothing else.
PatrickvD
Signature Collection

Post by PatrickvD »

My money would be on Golshifte Farahani for Jasmine. She's beautiful, Persian, can sing and she's already on Disney's radar with a role in Dead Men Tell No Tales. The only objection would be she's early 30s and knowing Hollywood they will cast someone younger.

Otherwise I'm very curious to see who they'd pick.
Flanger-Hanger
Platinum Edition

Post by Flanger-Hanger »

If they're making it a musical, than I would really like to have "High Adventure" included. Even if they have to change some of the lyrics in the event they don't use the characters of Aladdin's three friends.
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

Disney has sent out a casting call notice for Aladdin and Jasmine.

Source: https://twitter.com/msdanifernandez/sta ... 3377911808
disneyprincess11
Diamond Edition

Thank God for this! Good luck everyone!
JeanGreyForever
Signature Collection

Post by JeanGreyForever »

Oh wow they're actually looking for unknowns. I thought they would cast people slightly more known. At least we won't have the same issue Emma Watson had, with a lead actor who can't sing.
ImageImage
We’re a dyad in the Force. Two that are one.
"I offered you my hand once. You wanted to take it." - Kylo Ren
"I did want to take your hand. Ben's hand." - Rey
Escapay

Post by Escapay »

Welp. I guess I'm too old for the part. :(

Watch them go through the whole dog-and-pony-show about an open casting call for an ethnically-accurate Aladdin, and then they hire a white guy because "he just brought something so unique to the part and we felt he was the best fit for the role as written."

Albert
WIST #60:
AwallaceUNC: Would you prefer Substi-Blu-tiary Locomotion? :p

WIST #61:
TheSequelOfDisney: Damn, did Lin-Manuel Miranda go and murder all your families?
thedisneyspirit
Anniversary Edition

Post by thedisneyspirit »

So Jasmine is NOT fifteen then. Good.
DisneyFan09
Platinum Edition

Post by DisneyFan09 »

I'm not trying to be condescending, but I highly doubt that Jasmine is be only fifteen. She certainly looks older and behaves even more so. I was baffled when I learned that Belle was only seventeen, due to her acting and looking more mature and I could buy that. But Jasmine must be sixteen, at least.
JeanGreyForever
Signature Collection

Post by JeanGreyForever »

DisneyFan09 wrote:I'm not trying to be condescending, but I highly doubt that Jasmine is be only fifteen. She certainly looks older and behaves even more so. I was baffled when I learned that Belle was only seventeen, due to her acting and looking more mature and I could buy that. But Jasmine must be sixteen, at least.
She was turning 16 in the movie. So far the live-action actresses have looked close enough to their ages in the animated movie (18 for Cinderella and 17 for Belle) so I hope Jasmine and Aladdin are cast young enough to look 16 and 18 respectively.
ImageImage
We’re a dyad in the Force. Two that are one.
"I offered you my hand once. You wanted to take it." - Kylo Ren
"I did want to take your hand. Ben's hand." - Rey