Prince Charming (Live-Action)

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
Sotiris
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Prince Charming (Live-Action)

Post by Sotiris »

Having already reaped the rewards of so many fairy tale re-imaginings, Disney is now looking to take aim at the Prince at the center of so many of these stories. Sources tell Variety that the studio has acquired the spec “Prince Charming,” a comedy revolving around the iconic character with Mandeville Films and Tripp Vinson producing. Matt Folger penned the script and while plot details are vague, sources say the point of view isn’t from Charming but his brother who never lived up to the family name.
Source: http://variety.com/2015/film/news/disne ... 201534786/
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
Wonderlicious
Diamond Edition

Re: Prince Charming Live-Action Film

Post by Wonderlicious »

I'd rather this be a comedy film set in a generic fairy-tale kingdom with no particular links to any pre-existing stories. Then if it's bad, it doesn't seem too attached to any animated film and sully its reputation.
unprincess
Collector's Edition

Post by unprincess »

Matt Folger penned the script and while plot details are vague, sources say the point of view isn’t from Charming but his brother who never lived up to the family name.
so Hans is getting his own movie! :lol:
tsom
Anniversary Edition

Post by tsom »

This sounds interesting, but truthfully I would sort of love a Lady Tremaine movie, either seeing everything leading up to marry Cinderella's father, or seeing what happens to her after Cinderella married the prince.
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

So they're making a film all about Prince Charming this time, but they're making him a secondary character, just like they make him a secondary character in every fairy tale he's in? *sarcasm*Yea, that makes sense.*sarcasm*

Tsom, not a bad idea, but I feel like we get quite a nice idea of her in the live-action 2015 Disney Cinderella.
Atlantica
Signature Collection

Post by Atlantica »

Having it done from Prince Charming POV would be kind of fun ... not needed, but fun. But having it as his brother seems a bit bizarre ?

Could have been a way to finally flesh out the Prince character.
Prince Edward
Anniversary Edition

Post by Prince Edward »

Meh. Another attempt at a complete failure like Maleficent? Being a Disney movie about a prince I imagine I would give it a try anyway, but what are Disney thinking these days?

Another Cruella live action movie, live action Dumbo, live action Jungle Book, live action Tinkerbell movie, freaking Maleficent 2(!), and now this Prince Charming movie... By the time all these movies are made, people might be tired of the live action fairytale/Disney animated movies turned into live action trend. Disney should make live action versions of classic animated movies like Snow White, Peter Pan, The Little Mermaid, Aladdin, Pocahontas, The Hunchback of Notre Dame, Hercules instead of all this "new movies seeing the story you thought you new from a whole different perspective".

There are some interesting upcoming live action movies though: Alice In Wonderland: Through The Looking Glass, Beauty and the Beast and Mulan. If only Disney could focus on their remaining classic Walt stories/fairytales (Snow White, Pinocchio, Peter Pan, a actually decent Sleeping Beauty movie) and their late 80s/90s classics from The Little Mermaid to Tarzan (1989-1999)... And just, you know, tell the actual story and add on it like they did with Cinderella, instead of totally rewriting it like they did with Maleficent. Ah, wishful thinking!
Favorite Disney-movies: Snow White, Cinderella, Alice in Wonderland, Sleeping Beauty, The Little Mermaid, Beauty and the Beast, Aladdin, Pocahontas, The Hunchback of Notre Dame, Hercules, Mulan, Tarzan, Tangled, Frozen, Pirates, Enchanted, Prince of Persia, Tron, Oz The Great and Powerful
Disney's Divinity

Post by Disney's Divinity »

No interest in this at all.
Prince Edward wrote:Another attempt at a complete failure like Maleficent?
I don't think Disney sees Maleficent that way. :lol: I'm surprised you're looking forward to Alice in Wonderland: Through the Looking Glass if you hated Maleficent.
Listening to most often lately:
Ariana Grande ~ "we can't be friends (wait for your love)"
Ariana Grande ~ "imperfect for you"
Kacey Musgraves ~ "The Architect"
DisneyFan09
Platinum Edition

Post by DisneyFan09 »

To be honest, this idea sounds just stupid.
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

Not to mention, in Disney's Into the Woods, Billy Magnussen already played a brother of prince charming and not being able to be prince charming as well as his brother. Billy Magnussen said that's how he played the character in an interview.

So, Disney, wtf, it's been done.
Prince Edward
Anniversary Edition

Post by Prince Edward »

Disney's Divinity wrote:No interest in this at all.
Prince Edward wrote:Another attempt at a complete failure like Maleficent?
I don't think Disney sees Maleficent that way. :lol: I'm surprised you're looking forward to Alice in Wonderland: Through the Looking Glass if you hated Maleficent.
Haha, no, Disney are looking at all the dollars and are quite happy I think. Hehe, yes, a fair point there about comparing Maleficent to the live action Alice in Wonderland movie. The script sucks in both movies, that's for sure, but no surprise since it is Linda Woolverton doing the writing. That woman could not have written a decent script if here life depended on it.

However, I view the Alice live action movie(s) as something completely different than the animated movie. I see it as something loosely based on the original books and the animated feature, and I enjoy it for what it is. Pretty visuals, great actors and characters.

The Alice script still suck though, so I have no high hopes for the next Alice movie in that departement either. But it will be visually beautiful for sure and the music is wonderful. And it will be great to see Helena Bonham Carter, Johnny Depp and (perhaps a bit more off) Anne Hathaway again.

The problem with Maleficent is that it was directly based on Disney's own villain, an iconic evil villain, and that it ruins the character entirely. I was so let down when I realized it was not a retelling of the Sleeping Beauty movie, only seen from Maleficent's view and with a bit more character developments for Aurora and Phillip as well. Such a wasted opportunity.

Also, although I first thought that the visuals were amazing in Sleeping Beauty, I have to realize that the movie lacks all of the beautiful colors from the animated movie. The movie is very dark and grey.
Favorite Disney-movies: Snow White, Cinderella, Alice in Wonderland, Sleeping Beauty, The Little Mermaid, Beauty and the Beast, Aladdin, Pocahontas, The Hunchback of Notre Dame, Hercules, Mulan, Tarzan, Tangled, Frozen, Pirates, Enchanted, Prince of Persia, Tron, Oz The Great and Powerful
DisneyFan09
Platinum Edition

Post by DisneyFan09 »

Prince Edward wrote:Haha, no, Disney are looking at all the dollars and are quite happy I think. Hehe, yes, a fair point there about comparing Maleficent to the live action Alice in Wonderland movie. The script sucks in both movies, that's for sure, but no surprise since it is Linda Woolverton doing the writing. That woman could not have written a decent script if here life depended on it.

However, I view the Alice live action movie(s) as something completely different than the animated movie. I see it as something loosely based on the original books and the animated feature, and I enjoy it for what it is. Pretty visuals, great actors and characters.

The Alice script still suck though, so I have no high hopes for the next Alice movie in that departement either. But it will be visually beautiful for sure and the music is wonderful. And it will be great to see Helena Bonham Carter, Johnny Depp and (perhaps a bit more off) Anne Hathaway again.
I'm not trying to be biased, but I thought the "Alice in Wonderland" was an improvement over the script in "Malificent". It's not as "Alice's" script is marvelous or innovative, but at least it told an consisent and coherent story. "Malificent" doesn't. It's just a thin plotline stretched.
The problem with Maleficent is that it was directly based on Disney's own villain, an iconic evil villain, and that it ruins the character entirely. I was so let down when I realized it was not a retelling of the Sleeping Beauty movie, only seen from Maleficent's view and with a bit more character developments for Aurora and Phillip as well. Such a wasted opportunity.
Indeed!
Also, although I first thought that the visuals were amazing in Sleeping Beauty, I have to realize that the movie lacks all of the beautiful colors from the animated movie. The movie is very dark and grey.
Visually, "Malificent" was a departure from "Sleeping Beauty". The scenes were actually lighter at times! But it had quite little resemblance to it's animated counterpart, which was a pity.
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

Logline and synopsis for Prince Charming, courtesy of Spec Scout.
Logline wrote:When Prince Charming falls into a coma, his lacking twin brother needs to impersonate him and step up to save the princess and the day.
Synopsis wrote:In a fantastical French countryside, three Troubadours begin to sing a song about the legendary "Prince Charming." Despite his charm, Prince Charming has commitment issues, and has divorced both Snow White and Cinderella. They reveal he has a twin brother, Prince Trembling who is clumsy, cowardly, and far from charming. In Castle Delaine, Charming and Trembling's father, King Roland, lies on his death bed. It is revealed that in order for Prince Charming to succeed him, he must marry a princess. Several advisors, including The Good Wizard Brambleberry, discover that a princess has been kidnapped, and plan for Charming to rescue her. At the same time, Prince Charming is approached by several of his lovers and thrown out of a window. This puts him in a a comedic condition called "embrainelment." With no one left to save the princess, the advisors begin scheming. They decide that Prince Trembling must disguise himself as Prince Charming and save the princess. They change his look, attempt to train him, and, despite his unpreparedness, send him on the dangerous quest.
Disney's Divinity

Post by Disney's Divinity »

Stupid.
Listening to most often lately:
Ariana Grande ~ "we can't be friends (wait for your love)"
Ariana Grande ~ "imperfect for you"
Kacey Musgraves ~ "The Architect"
Jay
Anniversary Edition

Post by Jay »

This has Disney channel original movie written all over it.
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

Disney's Divinity wrote:Stupid.
LOL! That was the best reaction! rotfl I gotta admit you're funny. And, about this, true.
blackcauldron85

Post by blackcauldron85 »

A writer on the live-action B&tB will write & direct:
http://www.slashfilm.com/prince-charming-director/
JeanGreyForever
Signature Collection

Post by JeanGreyForever »

I was hoping this film would be shelved too.
ImageImage
We’re a dyad in the Force. Two that are one.
"I offered you my hand once. You wanted to take it." - Kylo Ren
"I did want to take your hand. Ben's hand." - Rey
Atlantica
Signature Collection

Post by Atlantica »

Oh my gosh ..... no thank you. I could barely get through the synopsis without eye rolling. As mentioned, this has Disney Channel written all over it :lol:
Sotiris

Re: Prince Charming (Live-Action)

Post by Sotiris »

An update on the project. It seems that the plot has changed a little.
The film will follow Prince Charming's twin brother, who must take over his brother's identity and team up with Snow White to save Princess Rosebud and his own kingdom from the evil King Anatgony (name could change). Along the way, he will learn how to find and accept one's own true identity.

The film is expected to have the tone of the highly successful Pirates of the Caribbean films. The director, Chbosky, is currently rewriting the film's script. Chbosky will be re-teaming with Wonder producers David Hoberman and Todd Lieberman who are producing Charming along with Tripp Vinson (San Andreas, Rose Red).
Source: https://thedisinsider.com/2018/05/08/ex ... -charming/