The Little Mermaid (Live-Action)

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
Sotiris
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Re: The Little Mermaid (Disney) Live-Action Film

Post by Sotiris »

Lin-Manuel Miranda wrote:If this requires new music, I'm here for that.
Source: http://www.vulture.com/2016/11/lin-manu ... -film.html
Q: If you could have created songs for one Disney film, what film would it have been?

Lin-Manuel Miranda: Oh. That's really hard because I wouldn't want to touch most of the scores.
Source: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rZmgSEYzpaw

ImageImageImageImageImageImage
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

Well, he does mean he wants to write new music, not touch the old music...
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

Please, don't be involved with the music! :biting:
Miranda is slated to work on a live-action version of Little Mermaid with iconic songwriter Alan Menken. But don't hold your breath, the deal is still being worked out.

"So I don’t know what my role is on that," says Miranda. "I don’t know whether it’s working on music or being kind of a music supervisor, I just kind of have the biggest fanboy hat on right now."
Source: http://www.usatoday.com/story/life/ente ... /94342338/
Lin-Manuel Miranda wrote:I'm involved with the live-action Little Mermaid. I don't know in what capacity yet. I just have my hat on as the No. 1 fan of that movie. I'm the head of the don't f— it up committee.
Source: http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/featur ... ion-956697
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

The Broadway songs might make it into the live-action film!
Q: You previously collaborated on the Little Mermaid Broadway musical. Will those songs be in the Disney reboot with Lin-Manuel Miranda on the creative team?

Alan Menken: Very likely, yes. I hope so. Unbelievable material. Disney seems to be — God bless them — pulling out so many sequels and reboots and I’m just going, “Ah!” It’s wonderful, I guess, and at the same time, it’s amazing how film companies will announce, “This is happening!” Then a year goes by and nothing, and then all of sudden, they go, “Now!”

Right now, Lin is involved with Mary Poppins [Returns]. I’m incredibly excited to work with Lin on this, whatever it’s going to be. He’ll be writing, I guess lyrics? Or book ideas? It’s not defined at all. Nobody knows at this point.
Source: http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/a ... q-a-951771
disneyprincess11
Diamond Edition

Post by disneyprincess11 »

PLEASE TO GOD!!! "If Only" and "Her Voices" are absolutely stunning and they're dying for scenes!
thedisneyspirit
Anniversary Edition

Post by thedisneyspirit »

I wanna hear the World Above. It's short, but I like the warm atmosphere it has. Though i'm guessing that song and its reprise will be cut- i don't mind the reprise being cut, since the scene with Triton is much more tense without a song as in the movie, but I figure they'd want to give Triton a solo...
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

I feel "The World Above" is so superfluous. "Part of Your World" does everything that song does and more. I hope "Her Voice" and "If Only" make it in, and that's it. Those are the only songs I think are good enough. Maybe "I Want the Good Times Back", too, but that's it.
Disney's Divinity

Post by Disney's Divinity »

“Her Voice,” “Beyond My Wildest Dreams,” “One Step Closer,” and “Finale Ultimo” would be my picks. I wouldn’t mind “I Want the Good Times Back” or any of the cut Ursula songs/reprises either. I’d love if they included the cut lyrics from “Fathoms Below” for the original film (that talk about Ursula). I just hope “Part of That World” and “Poor Unfortunate Souls” are more like the original film and not like the Broadway show at all—particularly the latter, which was ruined in the musical, imo.

Plus, I’m not sure where they could put "The World Above" anyway since first shot of her should be exploring the sunken ship, and it would be weird for her to stop and sing before going to Scuttle—if they even keep Scuttle in the movie… (I’d be fine with him and Chef Louie getting nixed.)
Listening to most often lately:
Ariana Grande ~ "we can't be friends (wait for your love)"
Ariana Grande ~ "imperfect for you"
Kacey Musgraves ~ "The Architect"
DisneyFan09
Platinum Edition

Post by DisneyFan09 »

I apologize for bringing this issue, folks and I know it may seem like flamebaiting. But I can't help it.

I wonder how this film will depict Ariel and if it's going to depict her in a different way than the animated movie. Regardless of my previous criticism against her, let's face it, she is a fairly criticized character by several people. So I wonder if the creators has taken consideration to that criticism.
Disney's Divinity

Well, despite criticisms, she is one of—if not the—most popular/merchandised Disney princess. I don’t think they’ll have any incentive to change her.
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

I bet they'll try to make her more feminist. Like they did with the live-action Belle. It will probably be made more clear that she and Eric love each other before she makes that deal where if she doesn't get him to love her human form she becomes Ursula's prisoner.
PatrickvD
Signature Collection

Post by PatrickvD »

I bet in this version Prince Eric will have his memory wiped, either through amnesia from the shipwreck or by Ursula herself, to ensure Ariel has to win his love -again.

Like Cinderella, I expect they will form a relationship earlier in the story that in the animated original. Which is a welcome change I guess.
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

I think they'll somehow have Ariel defeat Usrula instead of Eric. It would make sense since it's Ariel's story and Ursula hurt her father. They did that with Frozen where initially Kristoff was supposed to punch Hans but changed it to Anna.
DisneyFan09
Platinum Edition

Post by DisneyFan09 »

Look, sorry for my comment about Ariel, I certainly didn't mean to flame bait. I was just bringing up the subject.
I think they'll somehow have Ariel defeat Usrula instead of Eric. It would make sense since it's Ariel's story and Ursula hurt her father.
That would've been more justifiable. But the irony is that despite Ursula's villainy, she is a catalyst for Ariel to get close to Eric in the first place. So I don't think that she should've been killed, to be fair. Of course if we're going to overanalyze it further, Ariel could've approached Eric on her own (without taking consideration to her desire to be a human) and Triton could've been a catalyst for turn Ariel into a human. But by excluding Ursula, we wouldn't have nod to the original tale (or a villain), would we? ;)
Disney's Divinity

Sotiris wrote:I think they'll somehow have Ariel defeat Usrula instead of Eric. It would make sense since it's Ariel's story and Ursula hurt her father. They did that with Frozen where initially Kristoff was supposed to punch Hans but changed it to Anna.
I agree, that's probably the only change I could see happening. Otherwise, I don't think they should concern themselves trying to please non-fans.
JeanGreyForever
Signature Collection

Post by JeanGreyForever »

Disney's Divinity wrote:
Sotiris wrote:I think they'll somehow have Ariel defeat Usrula instead of Eric. It would make sense since it's Ariel's story and Ursula hurt her father. They did that with Frozen where initially Kristoff was supposed to punch Hans but changed it to Anna.
I agree, that's probably the only change I could see happening. Otherwise, I don't think they should concern themselves trying to please non-fans.
This is the only change I wouldn't mind. But honestly with all the changes they are making to Belle to make her even more feminist than she already is, I would be shocked if they didn't try to change Ariel too, especially because she's still polarizing to critics to this day. I'm hoping her utter popularity with everyone else is enough for them to leave her unscathed. I don't mind the changes to Belle so much because they still somewhat fit the character, but if Ariel is suddenly an inventor or something like that, I won't be happy.
ImageImage
We’re a dyad in the Force. Two that are one.
"I offered you my hand once. You wanted to take it." - Kylo Ren
"I did want to take your hand. Ben's hand." - Rey
Vlad
Collector's Edition

Post by Vlad »

JeanGreyForever wrote:
Disney's Divinity wrote:I agree, that's probably the only change I could see happening. Otherwise, I don't think they should concern themselves trying to please non-fans.
This is the only change I wouldn't mind. But honestly with all the changes they are making to Belle to make her even more feminist than she already is, I would be shocked if they didn't try to change Ariel too, especially because she's still polarizing to critics to this day. I'm hoping her utter popularity with everyone else is enough for them to leave her unscathed. I don't mind the changes to Belle so much because they still somewhat fit the character, but if Ariel is suddenly an inventor or something like that, I won't be happy.
God, I hope not. She's just so perfect the way she is, it would be a shame to change her. But seeing how they changed Belle, I think Ariel is going to have some changes, too. Nothing too drastic, I hope.
Atlantica
Signature Collection

Post by Atlantica »

They changed the climax of the Broadway show so that Ariel was the one that ultimately defeated Ursula, for the aforementioned reasons above. So could follow through to the movie, would made sense.
disneyprincess11
Diamond Edition

Post by disneyprincess11 »

There we go: Lin is NOT attached to the project (yet)
The HAMILTON creator also clears up reports that his will be composing the music for the live-action LITTLE MERMAID film for Disney. "Talks are sort of premature," he explains. "Basically, what happened was that they're planning a live-action adaptation and I sort of threw my hand up in the air as the chairman of the Don't Mess It Up Committee. If that leads to me writing music, fine, or if that leads to me just weighing in on stuff and not writing anything, that's also fine. I'm just the guy with the biggest Little Mermaid hat on wearing all the merch, so you should have me in THE ROOM when you're making these decisions!"
http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2 ... -come.html
NeverLand
Gold Classic Collection

Post by NeverLand »