Christmas music question

Any topic that doesn't fit elsewhere.
Big Disney Fan
Platinum Edition

Christmas music question

Post by Big Disney Fan »

What I'm about to say may make me sound like I'm a Grinch, but I am not. I just want to get it off my chest...

A lot of times, I am not particularly fond of constantly having Christmas music played constantly. As we get my home ready for the holidays, my family feels the need to put on the holiday station from Music Choice, which is playing Christmas songs constantly, while doing it. I willingly try to help out, but I'm not particularly fond of having to listen to it constantly. I sometimes feel that if I'm not listening to it, I have no holiday spirit, like the holiday spirit needs to be unconditional, all or nothing.

That all is not true. I do like Christmas songs, but I don't feel the need to be bombarded with it, especially those loud pop versions. I wish we could hear more gentle versions, like those played by Vince Guaraldi of "Peanuts" fame.

Anyway, do you feel it necessary to have Christmas music played constantly in order to be "in the mood"?
carolinakid
Anniversary Edition

Re: Christmas music question

Post by carolinakid »

My boyfriend and I listen to Christmas music sparingly just to set the mood. We don't play it nonstop until the Christmas season is over. And because we prefer the classics, we don't listen to much that was recoded after 1980.
blackcauldron85
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Post by blackcauldron85 »

I don't think it's necessary to play Christmas music non-stop to set the holiday mood, but I do pretty much exclusively listen to Christmas music from the day after Thanksgiving until Christmas. I think that the decorations, TV specials/commercials/movies, etc, even sparingly, can definitely set the right mood!

(Snoopy's theme is currently on the radio as I type this!)
Big Disney Fan
Platinum Edition

Post by Big Disney Fan »

carolinakid wrote:My boyfriend and I listen to Christmas music sparingly just to set the mood. We don't play it nonstop until the Christmas season is over. And because we prefer the classics, we don't listen to much that was recoded after 1980.
The funny thing is, most stations nowadays don't play music from the 1950s and earlier anymore (i.e., Elvis Presley) unless it's Christmas.
Big Disney Fan
Platinum Edition

Post by Big Disney Fan »

Also, why does it seem like most public places have to blast Christmas music so loudly?
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

My guess is to cover a whole area, you must blast music loud to be heard everywhere? Or it could be to keep people from staying outside and instead go into the stores and restaurants? Or they just think it should be blasted because they think people wanna hear the songs super well! :lol:
Big Disney Fan
Platinum Edition

Post by Big Disney Fan »

Disney Duster wrote:My guess is to cover a whole area, you must blast music loud to be heard everywhere? Or it could be to keep people from staying outside and instead go into the stores and restaurants? Or they just think it should be blasted because they think people wanna hear the songs super well! :lol:
When I said "blast", I didn't just mean "loudly", but I was also wondering why they have to saturate the environment at the expense of all other music?
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

As it gets nearer and nearer to Christmas, I feel Christmas music being on all the time and not any other music just feels right. It keeps you in the mood, and people in the mood for Christmas want to hear it all the time. At least I do. It's a steady stream of Christmas music because you feel a steady, constant mood for Christmas.
Big Disney Fan
Platinum Edition

Post by Big Disney Fan »

Disney Duster wrote:As it gets nearer and nearer to Christmas, I feel Christmas music being on all the time and not any other music just feels right. It keeps you in the mood, and people in the mood for Christmas want to hear it all the time. At least I do. It's a steady stream of Christmas music because you feel a steady, constant mood for Christmas.
Well, for me, constantly hearing it puts me OUT of the Christmas mood. I don't need music to be in the spirit.
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

Oh. When I'm in the Christmas mood I want to hear it all the time. But you don't. We differ I guess.
Disney's Divinity

Post by Disney's Divinity »

I go in moods with holiday music; I'll have a stretch of a few days randomly throughout the year that I want to hear it, but I get sick of it pretty fast. I hate that it takes over the radio for 2 months at the end of the year almost as much as I hate that Hallmark starts playing their inane movies nonstop instead of The Golden Girls.
Listening to most often lately:
Ariana Grande ~ "we can't be friends (wait for your love)"
Ariana Grande ~ "imperfect for you"
Kacey Musgraves ~ "The Architect"