The Little Mermaid (Live-Action)

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
PatrickvD
Signature Collection

Re: The Little Mermaid (Disney) Live-Action Film

Post by PatrickvD »

I assume he will be the lyricist here. Other than poor phrasing there is no need to assume otherwise. It makes sense to pair Menken with him. Alan is a great composer, but also one that depends on a good lyricist. And he hasn't worked with a truly great one since Ashman. Miranda might be that guy.

I don't see what all the drama is about. If they write some new gems I'm all for it. Heck, it might even lead to great future collaborations.

And another thing, I'm also annoyed by how lasseters regime has treated Menken, but it looks like Disney's revisits to the Renaissance era through these remakes is putting him back in the spotlight. Considering his contributions this is a good thing.

Call me crazy but I'm optimistic ..
Disney's Divinity
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Post by Disney's Divinity »

Disney Duster wrote:As for the Miranda-involvement, I shall await further information, and especially know what some of it sounds like, before I make an opinion. I must say, I am fearful of what someone who writes rap will do with Disney's The Little Mermaid, but who knows what he will do to the music, maybe it won't be bad at all.
This is my thought as well. I know everybody else is all, “He’s a genius, Menken should be grateful to work with him, he’s the best in the universe,” etc., but nothing he’s done sounds anything like The Little Mermaid or most of Menken’s other soundtracks for that matter.

I just wish Disney hadn't felt the need to meddle and let this film play out like the B&tB live-action film has. But the Broadway musical ended up being a mess (for different reasons), so I won't be surprised if this follows suit.
Listening to most often lately:
Ariana Grande ~ "we can't be friends (wait for your love)"
Ariana Grande ~ "imperfect for you"
Kacey Musgraves ~ "The Architect"
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

Disney's Divinity wrote:Would Miranda fans celebrate if Menken was asked to help co-write the music for a film version of Hamilton?
This! People here like to pretend we're so unreasonable but if the other way around were to happen, his fans would have a cow.
Disney's Divinity wrote:I just wish Disney hadn't felt the need to meddle and let this film play out like the B&tB live-action film has.
Me too! :(
UmbrellaFish wrote:But does that mean he'd be adverse to working with any other songwriter?
Obviously not. But for Mermaid specifically, he would definitely have chosen Slater because he believes that Slater's style is most similar to Ashman's and wants new lyrics to feel consistent and compatible with the existing work. That's why he chose him for the stage adaptation, after all.
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

Disney's Divinity wrote:This is my thought as well. I know everybody else is all, “He’s a genius, Menken should be grateful to work with him, he’s the best in the universe,” etc., but nothing he’s done sounds anything like The Little Mermaid or most of Menken’s other soundtracks for that matter.

I just wish Disney hadn't felt the need to meddle and let this film play out like the B&tB live-action film has. But the Broadway musical ended up being a mess (for different reasons), so I won't be surprised if this follows suit.
Oh yay, we agree on a lot! I have only heard bits of Miranda's music. I hope he can do what he has to do to make his music on this project fit whatever this movie needs. Oh, but I am unsure if Disney meddled to put him on this. I'd wait for more information. I'm sure we'll find out.
Sotiris wrote:
UmbrellaFish wrote:But does that mean he'd be adverse to working with any other songwriter?
Obviously not. But for Mermaid specifically, he would definitely have chosen Slater because he believes that Slater's style is most similar to Ashman's and wants new lyrics to feel consistent and compatible with the existing work. That's why he chose him for the stage adaptation, after all.
Ah, that is a good point. Let's just hope that an acclaimed writer can do for this film what will end up also being acclaimed, by fans like us, and the rest of the world.
DisneyJedi
Platinum Edition

Post by DisneyJedi »

No offense, but don't you guys think you're overreacting to the idea of Miranda co-writing the music for this with Menken? I personally think it's a good move on Disney's part.

Granted, I never heard any of the music from Hamilton, but I do know it's the biggest thing on Broadway right now since The Lion King or Wicked.
D82
Signature Collection

Post by D82 »

Though Lin-Manuel Miranda has been officially announced as co-writer of the songs for the film, he doesn't seem to be 100% sure he's got that job in this interview: https://youtu.be/4rDhZoQPrj4?t=157
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

^Nice find, D82! I've transcribed the relevant part below. I think he's just being coy because the project is still at the early stages and hasn't been given the green light yet. I sincerely hope he won't be involved with the music, after all.
Q: Is it true you're also working on music for The Little Mermaid?

Lin-Manuel Miranda: Could be. Yeah. They're doing a live-action remake and I'm hoping to be involved because I'm such a fan of that movie. It's no coincidence my son's name is Sebastian. So, I just really want to be a part of it when they take it to the next level.

Q: So, they're going to have original songs in addition to the songs that...?

Lin-Manuel Miranda: I don't know. I have no idea. We've just started talking about it.
Source: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4rDhZoQPrj4
disneyprincess11
Diamond Edition

Post by disneyprincess11 »

Weird they would announce him when he may not be available to do it
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

^Well, Disney never officially announced anything. There's a big difference between Disney announcing a project and issuing a press release and a Hollywood trade publication leaking plans for it prematurely.
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

Alan Menken talks about working on the live-action adaptations of his earlier films.
Q: You are returning to score the live action versions of Beauty and the Beast and The Little Mermaid. How excited are you?

Alan Menken: I am super excited to be able to bring these new adaptations of my earlier work to the new and expanded form of live-action film musical. I get to write new songs, compose new themes and flush out and expand earlier ideas. However, I do have to say that my favorite opportunities are still creating new works from scratch.

Q: How different will the live-action versions be musically from the ones we already know and love?

Alan Menken: The live-action films will be very familiar in story and tone to what people are used to in the original animated musicals and stage musicals. But the technology and the big-screen intimacy of performance and special effects will be dazzling on a whole new level. Along with those new aspects, there will be new song moments that will deepen and widen the experience emotionally.
Source: http://gulfnews.com/life-style/music/me ... -1.1920866
disneyprincess11
Diamond Edition

Sotiris wrote:^Well, Disney never officially announced anything. There's a big difference between Disney announcing a project and issuing a press release and a Hollywood trade publication leaking plans for it prematurely.
But, didn't Disney announce it on Twitter or Facebook?
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

disneyprincess11 wrote:But, didn't Disney announce it on Twitter or Facebook?
No, they didn't. You're thinking of The Lion King.
Disney's Divinity

If they aren’t carrying anything over from the musical, I could see them creating a new song for Eric in the same vein as “Her Voice.” I'd say the same for "Beyond My Wildest Dreams," but I can't see them having a mute Ariel singing in her mind in a movie; somehow that sounds too theatrical for a movie, I don't know? (That's the same reason I doubt they'd put a new Ariel song around the time Eric announces he's marrying Vanessa.) "One Step Closer" is the biggest loss from the musical, imo.

The only other moments I could see them adding to is maybe something while Ariel is searching through the ship at the beginning or they use the sad version of “Part of Your World (reprise)” after Triton has just destroyed her grotto (before F&J enter) or a newly-written song/ reprise of “PoYW” for that moment. Maybe even have her sing a bit of a reprise when she’s with the statue of Eric, only for it to be interrupted by Triton coming in and destroying everything, then the reprise picks back up after he leaves when she’s alone with all the broken things.

Of course, there are several songs they could do with Ursula, but somehow I think they won’t give her a new song for the live-action film… Perhaps give words to the ghostly reprise of "PoYW" when she mesmerizes Eric? :lol:
D82
Signature Collection

Post by D82 »

Sotiris wrote:
disneyprincess11 wrote:But, didn't Disney announce it on Twitter or Facebook?
No, they didn't. You're thinking of The Lion King.
I also thought it had been confirmed by Disney, but I re-read the articles and it's true, nothing about this adaptation has been officially announced yet. Maybe Lin-Manuel Miranda is only in negotiations to participate or, as you said, he doesn't want to confirm anything if the project hasn't been green-lighted yet.
disneyprincess11
Diamond Edition

D82 wrote:
Sotiris wrote: No, they didn't. You're thinking of The Lion King.
I also thought it had been confirmed by Disney, but I re-read the articles and it's true, nothing about this adaptation has been officially announced yet. Maybe Lin-Manuel Miranda is only in negotiations to participate or, as you said, he doesn't want to confirm anything if the project hasn't been green-lighted yet.
Unless they deleted the articles?
Atlantica
Signature Collection

Post by Atlantica »

I still think them doing away with Glen Slater is a tragedy, because I loved the songs from the Broadway show.

Though I guess to be fair, they've ignored the Broadway show when it comes to the new live action BATB as well.

Just feel the disrespect is real here.
JeanGreyForever
Signature Collection

Post by JeanGreyForever »

I never cared much for Glen Slater's work on both the broadway show or his work with Menken on Tangled. It seems like Menken's most uninspired work comes out then. I'd rather Stephen Schwartz come in, but I don't think TLM would be the best fit for him after Pocahontas, Hunchback, Mulan, Prince of Egypt, etc. Then again, he did Enchanted so maybe he would work.
ImageImage
We’re a dyad in the Force. Two that are one.
"I offered you my hand once. You wanted to take it." - Kylo Ren
"I did want to take your hand. Ben's hand." - Rey
D82
Signature Collection

Post by D82 »

More info on Lin-Manuel Miranda's participation in the film.
Though it's been reported that Miranda would co-produce the project and write new songs for it with Alan Menken, he said his participation is still being worked out. "We're in super-early talks — I literally don't have a title for what my job on The Little Mermaid is yet. Right now, it's the guy who wears the 'don't mess it up' hat. If I could sign a contract with that job title on it, that would be great! But that's sort of where we are."

After meeting with Menken and getting his blessing, Miranda has dived into the project headfirst. "If this requires new music, I'm here for that, and if this requires me weighing in on who makes this thing, I'm here for that. If this requires me just saying, 'That doesn't look like it's underwater,' I'm even here for that! It's going to be a huge challenge to not make it feel uncanny valley–ish." And if it requires Miranda to take a role himself, then what? "I'm such a fan that I can't picture where I'd fit into that universe," he said. "But no matter what, I'm here for the ride."
Source: http://www.vulture.com/2016/11/lin-manu ... -film.html
Disney's Divinity

D82 wrote:
And if it requires Miranda to take a role himself, then what? "I'm such a fan that I can't picture where I'd fit into that universe," he said. "But no matter what, I'm here for the ride."
Source: http://www.vulture.com/2016/11/lin-manu ... -film.html
For heaven’s sake. The only role I’d even be okay with him in is Triton’s servant (since you know they’ll replace the seahorse) or if he wants to throw on a fake French accent and sing “Les Poissons.” Stay away from Sebastian/Grimsby/Eric!
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

Atlantica wrote:I still think them doing away with Glen Slater is a tragedy, because I loved the songs from the Broadway show.
Me too. Glenn Slater gets such a bad rap around here. While he's not my favorite lyricist, he's done some great work that doesn't get recognized. Disney fans seem to have made up their minds about him solely based on his work Tangled, a project which he himself admitted on having little creative control over. It's a small miracle how good Tangled turned out to be considering the circumstances.
Atlantica wrote:Though I guess to be fair, they've ignored the Broadway show when it comes to the new live action BATB as well.
And yet Tim Rice returned to write the new songs in the live-action Beauty and the Beast. Let's face it. If Miranda hadn't forced himself onto this project, it would have been Slater the one to write lyrics for the new songs.
Atlantica wrote:Just feel the disrespect is real here.
Exactly. It's a matter of professional courtesy. Slater was handpicked by Menken to work on the stage show. He worked on the workshop, the Broadway version, and the retooled international version. He's the one who should be writing the lyrics for the live-action adaptation, not someone who's had no affiliation with the franchise.