Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs Discussion

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
Vlad
Collector's Edition

Re: Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs Discussion

Post by Vlad »

There are many great shots in the movie, animation wise. I have three favorites:

1. The shot of the Queen, descending the stairs in her dungeon. Her cape flows behind her. It's a great and dramatic shot:

2. The shot of Snow White picking flowers. I love how her cape, dress and hair flow in the wind, it's beautiful

3. In the forest sequence, she is seen getting out of the water, running towards a large tree. She covers her face, and then run towards the camera, with leaves behind her. I always loved how her cape and dress moved around her, almost like having life of their own.

What do you guys think? What are your favorite shots?
Disney's Divinity
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Post by Disney's Divinity »

I love the beginning with the Queen’s reflection, hands outstretched, in the mirror and also the shot of the fire that billows upwards before the man in the mirror appears. I also love the shot of Snow picking flowers you mentioned. Then there’s the Queen looking out at Snow White and the prince, Snow on the balcony looking down at the prince, and also the reflection of the Queen looking into the potion glass.
Listening to most often lately:
Ariana Grande ~ "we can't be friends (wait for your love)"
Ariana Grande ~ "imperfect for you"
Kacey Musgraves ~ "The Architect"
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

Yes I super love all the shots you guys mentioned. Too add a few, can I say every shot in the Queen conjuring up the slave in the magic mirror, and every shot in her transformation into The Witch? Then, I would say the shot of the fallen Snow White with the apple rolling to the ground. Then, the first shot of the dwarfs around her with the candles. Then, the first shot of Snow in the coffin, and the shot of the prince riding in to see her in the coffin, and the shots of him going all the way up to kissing her.

EDIT: Whoops, I should mention the very last shot, of Snow White and the Prince seeing his castle in the distance.
Last edited by Disney Duster on Thu Oct 27, 2016 5:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Vlad
Collector's Edition

Post by Vlad »

That shot of Snow White falling, with apple rolling on the ground scared me to death when I was a kid. Especially when I heard her gasping, and then the dramatic music. But yes, it is an impressive shot, indeed.
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

Wow it scared you. Well it is quite powerful, even to adults.

I forgot to mention one of the best shots, the very last one where Snow White and the Prince see the castle in the distance.
Vlad
Collector's Edition

Post by Vlad »

Yes, definitely yes!!! I will never forget the first time I saw the movie in a theater, it was a few weeks ago actually! It made me tear up. It's one of my favorite endings, and it is so beautiful to watch on a home screen, with the gorgeous imagery and sweeping music, but in a theater, it's a whole different experience. I was crying like a child. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

Oh cool, you got to see it on the big screen! Your favorite movie! I saw it when it came to theatres a looong time ago when they still re-released Disney animated classics to theatres everywhere and not just for limited special occasions. I don't remember everything about it but I recall the part where she dances with the dwarfs up there on the big screen. I also remember one commercial for the film where the Queen transforms and I loved the part where her hair was flowing all around and I asked my mom to draw it for me. And then I said it wasn't a good drawing and I wanted what looked like on the commercial! Ah, kids are honest and mean, aren't they? :oops:
Vlad
Collector's Edition

Post by Vlad »

:lol: :lol: :lol: When I was a kid, I also asked my mother to draw Disney characters for me, and she taught me how to do it, and now I can do it, myself, but it was a fun activity. Yes, it was quite an experience seeing my favorite movie on the big screen. Even when I watch it on my TV, I'm speechless when she runs through the woods, when the Queen transforms into the hag. But on a big screen, it's like seeing it for the first time.
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

Wow Sicoe, what you say about what the movie is like for you on the small screen and the big screen is so wonderful. As for what you and your mom did, that's a really special, wonderful thing.
Vlad
Collector's Edition

Post by Vlad »

Thank you, Duster. Call me Vlad. :D Sicoe is my last name :)
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

Oh, yea. I just shorten people's member names and don't always think about which way I should. I love the name Vlad! It's so cool! Like Vlad the Impaler, Dracula! lol
Vlad
Collector's Edition

Post by Vlad »

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: You know, that is the first thing people tell me when they learn my name.
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

Did you guys know that the deleted "Music in Your Soup" sequence as we know it is not the original '30s version? It was completed and polished in the '50s by different animators.

Working on Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs
http://floydnormancom.squarespace.com/b ... ven-dwarfs
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
rodis
Special Edition

Post by rodis »

Hi guys
A question about the opening with the book.
Can anyone clarify if it's traditional animation or perhaps...
Stop motion?! I always thought it was the former but recently read something on Wikipedia that called it 'stop motion technology'.

Would appreciate a clarification :)
Thank you!
rodrigo_ca
Special Edition

Post by rodrigo_ca »

If my memory serves, it's neither. It's just an oversized book that really opens.
Vlad
Collector's Edition

Post by Vlad »

In J.B.Kaufman's book, it is mentioned that it's an actual book, that opens up :)
rodis
Special Edition

Post by rodis »

Thank you both!
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

So is it mechanical?
rodis
Special Edition

Post by rodis »

This kind of baffles me. Does it mean the books in Cinderella and Sleeping Beauty are actual books as well?
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

It should be obvious the books are actual live-action books but I thought there was a string or something pulling the cover open and turning the pages.