Disney's Mort

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
Wonderlicious
Diamond Edition

Re: Disney's Mort

Post by Wonderlicious »

Guys, I hate to be bearer of bad news, but I wouldn't blame the author Terry Pratchett for somebody else making the film. He was alive when the rights issue flared up with Disney, but he passed away early last year. I assume that the rights were won again by another studio in between the author's passing, which is why they might not have had to pander to his requests.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-31858156

:|
Disney's Divinity
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Post by Disney's Divinity »

I had thought he might have passed a while back because I remember something about a ghostwriter or whatever doing a few Discworld novels after he died, but I was too lazy to Google. :lol:
Listening to most often lately:
Ariana Grande ~ "we can't be friends (wait for your love)"
Ariana Grande ~ "imperfect for you"
Kacey Musgraves ~ "The Architect"
disneyprincess11
Diamond Edition

Post by disneyprincess11 »

Honestly, I don't blame Terry for turning Disney down for the rights. Based on the concept arts, this looked like a typical Disney love story when really it isn't. It's disappointing this was never made, but if Terry thought Disney would soil it, so be it
blackcauldron85

Post by blackcauldron85 »

The Unmade Terry Pratchett Movies (and Why They Didnโ€™t Happen)
By Marc Burrows
https://www.denofgeek.com/movies/unmade ... nt-happen/
...Pratchett and Smythe finally found a cinematic home for Mort in 1996 when a deal was announced with New Line Cinema...in partnership with a British company, Scala Productions, and British writer/director Paul Bamborugh...Directors and writers came and went, New Line appeared to drop out of the picture altogether....

Pratchett had been approached by Walt Disney Animation Studios about adapting Mort into a full blown, all singing, all dancing animated musical feature....an art department was set up, which even distributed a Christmas card featuring Death dressed as Father Christmas...

...There were two snags. The first was that the rights to Mort, acquired back in 1996, still resided with Paul Bamborough and his new company, Camel Productions, though Disney probably had enough money to sort that out. More worrying for Pratchett was a revelation during a meeting in New York that, should he give Mort to the House of Mouse, they would have automatic rights to make further films using all of the characters and locations within it, including adapting all of the books that they appeared in.

Since the main character of Mort is Death himself, who cameos or stars in almost every Discworld novel, numbering some 39 books by that point, plus short stories and spinoffs, this was something of a problem. It is, apparently, the only time one particular Disney lawyer ever found himself being literally screamed at by a prospective collaborator. The deal fell apart, right there in the meeting.
Disney's Divinity

Post by Disney's Divinity »

Ah, interesting. I assumed Mort fell through because it always felt inevitable that it wouldn't work out because of the book itself (and because M&C wanted it to be hand-drawn...). Makes you wonder if it might've actually survived--perhaps as a 3D film--if he hadn't pulled out?? It would've been the last WDAS film based off a book if it had, right?
Listening to most often lately:
Ariana Grande ~ "we can't be friends (wait for your love)"
Ariana Grande ~ "imperfect for you"
Kacey Musgraves ~ "The Architect"
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

Haha, a Disney lawyer got screamed at! Interesting info, blackcauldron85. Couldn't Disney just not have been wankers once and let the deal happen by not trying to force them to let them use the characters and locations in whatever else they wanted?
Farerb
Diamond Edition

Post by Farerb »

This is probably one of the reasons Disney stopped adapting stories and started doing only original films. The other reasons might be not having complete control over the characters and being unable to adapt fairy tales for "modern audience".

While I think Musker and Clements would have made a great film out of this story, I don't think they would have been very faithful to it, since I've read it is pretty dark for a Disney film, especially nowadays.
The Disneynerd
Gold Classic Collection

Post by The Disneynerd »

A bunch of Character designs and concept art by James Lopez:
7cb65a_a3f96edc3dcf49afa27ff2bc4482c4d7_mv2.jpg
7cb65a_a3f96edc3dcf49afa27ff2bc4482c4d7_mv2.jpg (40.52 KiB) Viewed 603 times
Now that I look at it, Mort looks a bit like a mix of an older Timmy Turner and Varian from the Tangled Series (and I kinda like it)

There are 8 more designs on his website (including a funny interaction between Mort and DEATH :) ) https://www.jameslopezanimation.com/mort

I think it's a shame that Disney didn't take the opportunity to make this happen, as it would really be something fresh and out of the ordinary, but oh well :pink: (i really do like the elephant emoji)
My favourite Disney songs:
๐Ÿ. ๐“Ÿ๐“ช๐“ป๐“ฝ ๐“ธ๐“ฏ ๐”‚๐“ธ๐“พ๐“ป ๐“ฆ๐“ธ๐“ป๐“ต๐“ญ (๐“ต๐“ฒ๐“ฝ๐“ฝ๐“ต๐“ฎ ๐“œ๐“ฎ๐“ป๐“ถ๐“ช๐“ฒ๐“ญ)
๐Ÿ. ๐“ฆ๐“ช๐“ฒ๐“ฝ๐“ฒ๐“ท๐“ฐ ๐“ฒ๐“ท ๐“ฝ๐“ฑ๐“ฎ ๐“ฆ๐“ฒ๐“ท๐“ฐ๐“ผ (๐“ฃ๐“ช๐“ท๐“ฐ๐“ต๐“ฎ๐“ญ ๐“ฝ๐“ฑ๐“ฎ ๐“ผ๐“ฎ๐“ป๐“ฒ๐“ฎ๐“ผ)
๐Ÿ‘. Wherever I go (Hannah Montana)๐ŸŽถ :cry:
๐Ÿ’. ๐“Ÿ๐“ป๐“ธ๐“พ๐“ญ ๐“ธ๐“ฏ ๐”‚๐“ธ๐“พ๐“ป ๐“‘๐“ธ๐”‚ (๐“๐“ต๐“ช๐“ญ๐“ญ๐“ฒ๐“ท)
๐Ÿ“. ๐’ฏ๐’ฝ๐‘’ ๐’ž๐“๐’พ๐“‚๐’ท :cry: (๐“—๐’ถ๐“ƒ๐“ƒ๐’ถ๐’ฝ ๐“œ๐‘œ๐“ƒ๐“‰๐’ถ๐“ƒ๐’ถ ๐“‚๐‘œ๐“‹๐’พ๐‘’)
& more: 1000 years ( Legend of the Neverbeast),
I'll try (Return to Neverland) :pan: , So close (Enchanted), ๐’ด๐‘œ๐“Šยด๐“๐“ ๐“ƒ๐‘’๐“‹๐‘’๐“‡ ๐“๐‘œ๐“ˆ๐‘’ ๐“‰๐’ฝ๐’พ๐“ˆ ๐“๐‘œ๐“‹๐‘’ (๐’Ÿ๐’พ๐“ˆ๐“ƒ๐‘’๐“Ž ๐’ซ๐“‡๐’พ๐“ƒ๐’ธ๐‘’๐“ˆ๐“ˆ: ๐ธ๐“ƒ๐’ธ๐’ฝ๐’ถ๐“ƒ๐“‰๐‘’๐’น ๐’ฏ๐’ถ๐“๐‘’๐“ˆ), I thought I lost you (BOLT), Into the Unknown (Frozen 2) :pink:
Farerb
Diamond Edition

Post by Farerb »

The Disneynerd wrote: โ†‘Fri May 26, 2023 9:17 am I think it's a shame that Disney didn't take the opportunity to make this happen, as it would really be something fresh and out of the ordinary, but oh well
I agree with this. Everything I've seen from this film looks interesting to me, such a missed opportunity.

Thank you for sharing :)
The Disneynerd
Gold Classic Collection

Post by The Disneynerd »

Farerb wrote: โ†‘Fri May 26, 2023 9:42 am Thank you for sharing
you're very welcome! :-D
Farerb wrote: โ†‘Tue Feb 21, 2023 10:57 pm This is probably one of the reasons Disney stopped adapting stories and started doing only original films. The other reasons might be not having complete control over the characters and being unable to adapt fairy tales for "modern audience".
This got me thinking. It makes sense for Disney to deviate from novel adaptations where you have to risk a lot for ownership rights, but then Disney could theoretically still publish this rough story without Terry Pratchett's credit, since fairy tales are in the public domain, right? Because the Brothers Grimm published a very very similar fairy tale, titled "Godfather Death", it seems different enough, you can read it here:https://fairytalez.com/godfather-death/
(also, this website, which I discovered a month ago is a MUST for fairytale nerds, it has EVERY Fairytale in existense!!!!) I think

Does anyone know if it would be theoretically legal for Disney to do that, its not as if Terry Pratchett owns the death character, right??!? :shrug:
My favourite Disney songs:
๐Ÿ. ๐“Ÿ๐“ช๐“ป๐“ฝ ๐“ธ๐“ฏ ๐”‚๐“ธ๐“พ๐“ป ๐“ฆ๐“ธ๐“ป๐“ต๐“ญ (๐“ต๐“ฒ๐“ฝ๐“ฝ๐“ต๐“ฎ ๐“œ๐“ฎ๐“ป๐“ถ๐“ช๐“ฒ๐“ญ)
๐Ÿ. ๐“ฆ๐“ช๐“ฒ๐“ฝ๐“ฒ๐“ท๐“ฐ ๐“ฒ๐“ท ๐“ฝ๐“ฑ๐“ฎ ๐“ฆ๐“ฒ๐“ท๐“ฐ๐“ผ (๐“ฃ๐“ช๐“ท๐“ฐ๐“ต๐“ฎ๐“ญ ๐“ฝ๐“ฑ๐“ฎ ๐“ผ๐“ฎ๐“ป๐“ฒ๐“ฎ๐“ผ)
๐Ÿ‘. Wherever I go (Hannah Montana)๐ŸŽถ :cry:
๐Ÿ’. ๐“Ÿ๐“ป๐“ธ๐“พ๐“ญ ๐“ธ๐“ฏ ๐”‚๐“ธ๐“พ๐“ป ๐“‘๐“ธ๐”‚ (๐“๐“ต๐“ช๐“ญ๐“ญ๐“ฒ๐“ท)
๐Ÿ“. ๐’ฏ๐’ฝ๐‘’ ๐’ž๐“๐’พ๐“‚๐’ท :cry: (๐“—๐’ถ๐“ƒ๐“ƒ๐’ถ๐’ฝ ๐“œ๐‘œ๐“ƒ๐“‰๐’ถ๐“ƒ๐’ถ ๐“‚๐‘œ๐“‹๐’พ๐‘’)
& more: 1000 years ( Legend of the Neverbeast),
I'll try (Return to Neverland) :pan: , So close (Enchanted), ๐’ด๐‘œ๐“Šยด๐“๐“ ๐“ƒ๐‘’๐“‹๐‘’๐“‡ ๐“๐‘œ๐“ˆ๐‘’ ๐“‰๐’ฝ๐’พ๐“ˆ ๐“๐‘œ๐“‹๐‘’ (๐’Ÿ๐’พ๐“ˆ๐“ƒ๐‘’๐“Ž ๐’ซ๐“‡๐’พ๐“ƒ๐’ธ๐‘’๐“ˆ๐“ˆ: ๐ธ๐“ƒ๐’ธ๐’ฝ๐’ถ๐“ƒ๐“‰๐‘’๐’น ๐’ฏ๐’ถ๐“๐‘’๐“ˆ), I thought I lost you (BOLT), Into the Unknown (Frozen 2) :pink:
Farerb
Diamond Edition

Post by Farerb »

I guess it would, but I don't see current Disney doing a movie about death.