Upcoming WDAS and Pixar release dates

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
DisneyEra
Anniversary Edition

Re: Upcoming WDAS and Pixar release dates

Post by DisneyEra »

Warm Regards wrote:
DisneyEra wrote:King of the Elves, Gigantic, Cosmic 3000 & Mort. I would take any of those would-be original features over any sequel, be it WiR or not. Original 2D animated features died post Tangled, now it looks like original features in general CGI died with Gigantic.
While I'm somewhat excited for certain sequels, I must confess that I feel pretty ... unresolved over the sudden push for sequels as a whole.

Yes, Disney. I know Frozen made a billion dollars. That's pretty much why you wish to make a sequel to that and anything that has made or could make another billion.

But why make sequels for films when you could use the money and resources to conjure up unique and fresh ideas?

I still don't understand why they can't use some of the Frozen money to produce a hand drawn film...

Okay, I know why. Because to Disney hand drawn isn't profitable, while CG is great because we just gotta see a character's nose hairs, and sequels need to be made because "the story isn't complete yet"...

Wreck it Ralph 2 sounds exciting, but I don't think it's something we were in desperate need of.

On a side note... are all of these sequels going to be counted part of the official Disney canon? I've never made heads or tails of the matter as of yet. I presume yes but I'm not sure.

Side side note: The Incredibles 2 comes out in 2019... I must make time to see the first one before then.
I mainly see WDAS doing these sequels to match their rivals. I mean, just look at this year KFP3 made over half a billion on it's 3rd feature along with a long running TV series. Dory is just killing it at the Box Office now, no other movie is even close. It's gonna be #1 again this weekend, while The BFG & Tarzan are said to flop. And we still have Ice Age 5 later in July. Next year you have The Lego Batman Movie, The Nut Job 2, Cars 3 & Despicable Me 3 all before June ends. And in 2018 WiR 2 will battle HttYD3, Toy Story 4 & Hotel Transylvania 3.

This is similar to what WDAS rivals of former Disney Animators did back during the 90s Renaissance, with features like Thumbelina, The Swan Princess, Anastasia & The Prince of Egypt. But these feature were nowhere near as profitable as the CGI behemoths. Which in turn was bad for 2D animation as a whole, making it look cheap. But as of late even CGI original features have flopped hard. DreamWorks Rise of the Guardians "which was release a couple weeks after WiR1" was a huge loss, as was Peabody & Sherman. Even Pixar felt this with last year's The Good Dinosaur. I just always knew WDAS was gonna jump on the sequel bandwagon, I just thought it would be after Gigantic, not before it.
Sotiris
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Post by Sotiris »

Warm Regards wrote:Because to Disney hand drawn isn't profitable, while CG is great because we just gotta see a character's nose hair.
:lol:
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
ce1ticmoon
Gold Classic Collection

Post by ce1ticmoon »

Well, it happened to "Story is King" Pixar. So anybody who didn't think it was going to happen to Disney Animation as well was probably kidding themselves.

I think a Wreck-It Ralph sequel has a lot of potential, so I'm genuinely looking forward to it, but I'm sure my heart will sink when I see the line-up for Disney Animation in a few years time. Like when we saw this:
Sotiris wrote:Image
Semaj
Anniversary Edition

Post by Semaj »

This guy offers an interesting analysis on where Pixar is now.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dGO0hXSmk58[/youtube]

I wouldn't call it "failing", it's more like "mediocring".
"OH COME ON, REALLY?!?!"
unprincess
Collector's Edition

Post by unprincess »

I still don't understand why they can't use some of the Frozen money to produce a hand drawn film...
this! thiiiiis! seriously wouldn't have killed them financially to make one every 6 or 7 years to keep their legacy alive.

as for Gigantic's problems, maybe they're having second thoughts on having a giant little girl character after all the "Disney's making a movie about my fetish!" & "my giant loli waifu!" comments surfacing on 4chan, lol! :lol:
magicalwands
Collector's Edition

Post by magicalwands »

When Pixar was starting out, they had a deal with Disney to produce a certain number of films for them. When Toy Story 2 was made, it wasn't counted towards this number. So, it seems the streak of original films was so Pixar wouldn't be 'wasting' their time with a sequel. If only such a rule was implemented these days.
DisneyEra
Anniversary Edition

Post by DisneyEra »

Anyway way we can switch WDAS 2018 with Pixar's 2017? That would be nice.
Attachments
35B8671C00000578-3662105-image-a-54_1467031107999.jpg
35B8671C00000578-3662105-image-a-54_1467031107999.jpg (152.52 KiB) Viewed 9797 times
Disneyphile
Special Edition

Post by Disneyphile »

Semaj wrote:This guy offers an interesting analysis on where Pixar is now.

I wouldn't call it "failing", it's more like "mediocring".
"It's funny that I ask, 'Is Pixar failing?' in light of their recent movie, Finding Dory. It broke records, and is the most successful launch for an animated film in history. It made more in one weekend than The Good Dinosaur made in total domestically. So I should shut up, right?"

I think you're onto something there. Go with that.
Disneyphile
Special Edition

Post by Disneyphile »

It’s perfectly understandable to wonder why there are no rats, robots, or anthropomorphized emotions on Pixar’s upcoming slate of sequels, which kicked off with Finding Dory and continues through 2019 with Cars 3, Toy Story 4, and The Incredibles 2.

In a recent chat with Entertainment Weekly, Pixar president Jim Morris spoke about the studio’s development process, why certain sequels made the cut, and why you won’t be seeing anything less than original at Pixar for quite some time.
http://www.ew.com/article/2016/07/01/pi ... inside-out
DisneyFan09
Platinum Edition

Post by DisneyFan09 »

Is Pixar failing? Dude, you haven't caught up! :P

Either way, that assessment brought nothing new to the table. It was just once another video which praised Pixar's strenghts and qualities endlessly at the expense of Disney. And Pixar being the saving grace of this eras Disney. *Shrughs*

Btw, when the first Cars was released, it wasn't that panned as it's sequel, but still considered as lesser Pixar. But a year later Pixar would return to form with Ratatouille and continuing their winning streak. Did fanboys whine about Pixar loosing their touch back in 2006?

And yeah, I'm not trying to act like a dense fanboy, but I consider the original Cars to be superior to Ratatouille, the latter being cute, but also dragging a lot.
Disney's Divinity

Post by Disney's Divinity »

I hope there are never sequels to WALL E or Ratatouille. There is really nothing left to tell (and I dislike the former although WALL E himself is cute and only moderately enjoy the latter for Anton Ego).

Inside Out could go on as long (and stay high-quality while it does so) as the Toy Story series, imo; checking in when the girl is a teenager, then when she's going to college, possibly when she's about to get married, as a mother, etc. and exploring the other emotions a little more while they do so (Disgust would be my first pick). I could see Up getting a sequel with the old man/boy/dog going on more hijinks, but I'm not a fan.
Listening to most often lately:
Ariana Grande ~ "we can't be friends (wait for your love)"
Ariana Grande ~ "imperfect for you"
Kacey Musgraves ~ "The Architect"
disneyprincess11
Diamond Edition

Post by disneyprincess11 »

WOW WOW WOW

'The Incredibles 2' Moves Up to Summer 2018; 'Toy Story 4' Pushed to 2019

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/i ... 019-941475
disneyprincess11
Diamond Edition

https://ohmy.disney.com/news/2016/11/15 ... C664724993

Straight from the Mouse:

Cars 3 (3D): 6/16

Coco (3D): 11/22

Wreck-It Ralph 2 (3D): 3/9

The Incredibles 2 (3D): 6/15

Gigantic (3D): 11/21

Untitled Disneytoon Studios: 4/12

Toy Story 4 (3D): 6/21

Untitled Disney Animation (3D): 11/27

Last but not least, 2020 will see the release of two untitled Pixar animation films, three untitled Marvel films, and one untitled Disney animation film. The list of movies that are on the way is exciting. We can’t wait to find out what all of the yet-to-be named films are
unprincess
Collector's Edition

Post by unprincess »

still no Frozen 2? they really aren't rushing it, which I guess is a good thing.
Jules
Diamond Edition

Post by Jules »

OK, now that the awards season is mostly done, I would like an update from Disney regarding the 2018 WDAS releases. Their website still doesn't mention Wreck-It Ralph 2. *snore* :zzz:

Disney, can you hire me to maintain your animation studio's website? :)
disneyprincess11
Diamond Edition

Jules wrote:OK, now that the awards season is mostly done, I would like an update from Disney regarding the 2018 WDAS releases. Their website still doesn't mention Wreck-It Ralph 2. *snore* :zzz:

Yet, they updated Gigantic's date! :roll:
DisneyEra
Anniversary Edition

Post by DisneyEra »

disneyprincess11 wrote:
Jules wrote:OK, now that the awards season is mostly done, I would like an update from Disney regarding the 2018 WDAS releases. Their website still doesn't mention Wreck-It Ralph 2. *snore* :zzz:

Yet, they updated Gigantic's date! :roll:
:D :up: Cause they know Gigantic is gonna be the next Animated Blockbuster! WIR2 my be a "sleeper hit".
Attachments
#!001_MicrosoftEdge_User_Default_WebNotes_Microsoft-Edge-Web-Notes-Walt-Disn1380961921.jpg
#!001_MicrosoftEdge_User_Default_WebNotes_Microsoft-Edge-Web-Notes-Walt-Disn1380961921.jpg (119.14 KiB) Viewed 7119 times
Jules
Diamond Edition

Post by Jules »

Disney Animation Website wrote:COMING TO THEATRES IN FALL OF 2018
I think "Coming to theatres Fall 2018" has a nicer ring to it.

Btw, in the News section of the website there still is no mention of Zootopia winning the Academy Award. :mischief:
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

Disney's slate from 2017 to mid-2019 taken at CinemaCon.

ImageImageImageImageImageImage
Avaitor
Collector's Edition

Post by Avaitor »

So that untitled fairy tale isn't happening this summer, is it?