Upcoming WDAS and Pixar release dates

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
DisneyFan09
Platinum Edition

Re: Upcoming WDAS and Pixar release dates

Post by DisneyFan09 »

Perhaps it could be firering Lasseter or bringing back hand drawn animation department? :P

Sorry, I couldn't resist.
disneyprincess11
Diamond Edition

Post by disneyprincess11 »

DisneyEra wrote:
Sotiris wrote:Interesting. This is the first time Disney's doing this to announce something. What do you think it'll be? A sequel to Wreck-It Ralph or Zootopia?

Source: https://www.facebook.com/Disney/photos/ ... 235115954/
Hey, I can dream can't I.
It's quite possible that the actors for Jack and Imna will be announced, but I think Disney is waiting for after Moana for that. As long as it is not Frozen news, I am good with whatever.
Sotiris
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Post by Sotiris »

Rich Moore tweeted the following hinting at Wreck-It Ralph 2.

Source: https://twitter.com/_rich_moore/status/ ... 7092142080
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
disneyprincess11
Diamond Edition

According to Rich Moore's tweet, it sounds like Wreck It Ralph 2 or Zootopia 2
Mickeyfan1990
Collector's Edition

Post by Mickeyfan1990 »

If it's Mickey Mouse, Roger Rabbit, DVD/Blu-ray, or hand-drawn related, count me in!
ce1ticmoon
Gold Classic Collection

Post by ce1ticmoon »

I don't feel like an announcement for Wreck-It Ralph 2 or Zootopia 2, or a cast announcement for an existing project, would really warrant a pre-advertised "BREAKING NEWS" announcement like this... With such fanfare, it should be something we don't expect. It'd be amazing if it was 2D related, though I obviously don't really expect that. It probably will just be some run-of-the-mill announcement that everyone is speculating (i.e. sequel or casting announcement or the like).
disneyprincess11
Diamond Edition

WRECK IT RALPH 2! MARCH 9, 2018 :mickana: :mickana: :mickana: :mickana:
disneyprincess11
Diamond Edition

WRECK IT RALPH 2! MARCH 9, 2018 :mickana: :mickana: :mickana: :mickana:
disneyprincess11
Diamond Edition

Wreck It Ralph: March 9, 2018
Gigantic: November 21, 2018

https://ohmy.disney.com/news/2016/06/30 ... C506233155
DisneyEra
Anniversary Edition

Post by DisneyEra »

My worst fears came true. They kicked Gigantic aside for a damn sequel! This must of been from Finding Dory, which is killing at the Box Office as we speak. The executives want more sequels. Good that WiR is getting a sequel "as it's the only revival era feature that truly deserves one" but you don't kick down an original feature for a damn sequel! I was hoping WDAS wouldn't do this til after Gigantic! I just knew when Slashfilm said Gigantic was having problems, it was getting push back. WDAS has officially jumped on the sequel bandwagon! DAMN! :x :facepalm:
DisneyAnimation88
Anniversary Edition

Post by DisneyAnimation88 »

DisneyEra wrote:My worst fears came true. They kicked Gigantic aside for a damn sequel! This must of been from Finding Dory, which is killing at the Box Office as we speak. The executives want more sequels. Good that WiR is getting a sequel "as it's the only revival era feature that truly deserves one" but you don't kick down an original feature for a damn sequel! I was hoping WDAS wouldn't do this til after Gigantic! I just knew when Slashfilm said Gigantic was having problems, it was getting push back. WDAS has officially jumped on the sequel bandwagon! DAMN! :x :facepalm:
They moved it back eight months, they haven't cancelled it.

Is having to wait a few more months to see Gigantic really that big of a deal? What if the film needs that extra time?
We're not going to Guam, are we?
DisneyEra
Anniversary Edition

Post by DisneyEra »

DisneyAnimation88 wrote:
DisneyEra wrote:My worst fears came true. They kicked Gigantic aside for a damn sequel! This must of been from Finding Dory, which is killing at the Box Office as we speak. The executives want more sequels. Good that WiR is getting a sequel "as it's the only revival era feature that truly deserves one" but you don't kick down an original feature for a damn sequel! I was hoping WDAS wouldn't do this til after Gigantic! I just knew when Slashfilm said Gigantic was having problems, it was getting push back. WDAS has officially jumped on the sequel bandwagon! DAMN! :x :facepalm:
They moved it back eight months, they haven't cancelled it.

Is having to wait a few more months to see Gigantic really that big of a deal? What if the film needs that extra time?
9 months is not a few months. It's clear now that Greno & his staff are having problems with this film, so much that it gets kicked off it March 9, 2018 release date for a sequel. I wonder what was going on & why we didn't hear about this til just yesterday. I hope they get Greno & his staff some much needed help, cause this was just embarrassing for him & his crew.
disneyprincess11
Diamond Edition

^This is common. Good Dinosaur was pulled at the lat second.

I am really wondering what is causing Gigantic's problems. This is the SECOND time they're delaying this movie. And not to mention, Wreck-It Ralph 2 just got back to development LAST SUMMER while Frozen 2 is taking longer than WIR 2, so I wonder if Disney is rushing this.
DisneyEra
Anniversary Edition

Post by DisneyEra »

disneyprincess11 wrote:^This is common. Good Dinosaur was pulled at the lat second.

I am really wondering what is causing Gigantic's problems. This is the SECOND time they're delaying this movie. And not to mention, Wreck-It Ralph 2 just got back to development LAST SUMMER while Frozen 2 is taking longer than WIR 2, so I wonder if Disney is rushing this.
http://articles.latimes.com/2013/aug/30 ... r-20130831
But we all knew the problems The Good Dinosaur was having months in advance. Til yesterday, via Slashfilm's rumors, we had no idea about Gigantic's problems, post last year's D23. It's other issues were when it was still known as Giants & never officially announced. At least Pixar had the curtesy to announce to the public that TGD was having problems, WDAS just blatantly announces WiR 2 for March 9, 2018, even though Gigantic already had that date set. They just kicked it aside. And honestly, didn't even care.
Disney's Divinity

Post by Disney's Divinity »

My worst fears came true. They kicked Gigantic aside for a damn sequel! This must of been from Finding Dory, which is killing at the Box Office as we speak. The executives want more sequels. Good that WiR is getting a sequel "as it's the only revival era feature that truly deserves one" but you don't kick down an original feature for a damn sequel! I was hoping WDAS wouldn't do this til after Gigantic! I just knew when Slashfilm said Gigantic was having problems, it was getting push back. WDAS has officially jumped on the sequel bandwagon!
Let's not pretend that WDAS was ever on any other kind of wagon. All of their 3D films were created with the express intent to multiply. It would be happening even if Finding Dory was an unexpected, huge flop. Which is why WIR2's announcement is not surprising in any way. And considering the film was just okay to me, all I feel is one big who cares.

As for Gigantic, I've never been as excited about it as others are, so I wouldn't be disappointed if it followed King of the Elves to cancellation.
Listening to most often lately:
Ariana Grande ~ "we can't be friends (wait for your love)"
Ariana Grande ~ "imperfect for you"
Kacey Musgraves ~ "The Architect"
DisneyEra
Anniversary Edition

Post by DisneyEra »

Disney's Divinity wrote:
My worst fears came true. They kicked Gigantic aside for a damn sequel! This must of been from Finding Dory, which is killing at the Box Office as we speak. The executives want more sequels. Good that WiR is getting a sequel "as it's the only revival era feature that truly deserves one" but you don't kick down an original feature for a damn sequel! I was hoping WDAS wouldn't do this til after Gigantic! I just knew when Slashfilm said Gigantic was having problems, it was getting push back. WDAS has officially jumped on the sequel bandwagon!
Let's not pretend that WDAS was ever on any other kind of wagon. All of their 3D films were created with the express intent to multiply. It would be happening even if Finding Dory was an unexpected, huge flop. Which is why WIR2's announcement is not surprising in any way. And considering the film was just okay to me, all I feel is one big who cares.

As for Gigantic, I've never been as excited about it as others are, so I wouldn't be disappointed if it followed King of the Elves to cancellation.
King of the Elves, Gigantic, Cosmic 3000 & Mort. I would take any of those would-be original features over any sequel, be it WiR or not. Original 2D animated features died post Tangled, now it looks like original features in general CGI died with Gigantic.
Tangled
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Tangled »

I don't see how Gigantic is being "kicked aside" for a sequel. Disney's being strategic. Gigantic is being released closer to the holiday/awards season while WiR will get a push like Zootopia did thanks to the usually lacklustre movie-release schedule at the beginning of the year. I really don't think that WiR2 is going to win an Oscar, but it may do better in March than WiR1 did in November. Meanwhile, Disney's probably going to market Gigantic in a similar fashion to Frozen and bank on holiday crowds. It makes sense to me.

Besides, it's far less likely for a sequel to run into production problems than an original film, since sequels don't have to create entire worlds or entire casts of characters from scratch. I think that's also why WiR was pushed forward. If finished storylines are done for both Gigantic and Wreck-it Ralph 2, Gigantic will likely need more time to develop from that point onward since WiR already has its tone, art-style, world, and characters established.

Disney isn't neglecting original films at all. They still have films in production that aren't Moana, WiR2, Gigantic, and Frozen 2, and they're likely all original since it's far too early for Zootopia 2. A studio doing sequels =/= a studio doing only sequels. Also, The Rescuers Down Under and the 2011 Winnie the Pooh are both pretty good, and far better than the Disneytoon sequels. :wink:
Last edited by Tangled on Thu Jun 30, 2016 5:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Disney's Divinity

Post by Disney's Divinity »

^ I’m not sure that’s entirely true, when you consider that WIR will need to (very likely) create entire new worlds within other video games rather than staying inside the Sugar Rush or WIR games. What would be the point of a sequel if it didn’t?

As for the other part, I’m not sure why we’re assuming Gigantic was pushed back because it needs more time to be developed adequately, when it’s just as likely the decision was entirely arbitrary. I think WIR2 needs to be pushed out more quickly because it didn’t make quite the same mark as Zootopia or Frozen (or Finding Nemo, for a Pixar example) that audiences would be on the edge of their seats to see it if they waited 4-7 years from now.
Listening to most often lately:
Ariana Grande ~ "we can't be friends (wait for your love)"
Ariana Grande ~ "imperfect for you"
Kacey Musgraves ~ "The Architect"
Tangled
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Tangled »

Disney's Divinity wrote:^ I’m not sure that’s entirely true, when you consider that WIR will need to (very likely) create entire new worlds within other video games rather than staying inside the Sugar Rush or WIR games. What would be the point of a sequel if it didn’t?
I was mostly considering the basics. There will definitely be new game worlds and characters for the sequel, but the foundations are mostly there already. The main characters are already proven to be likeable and the world works through Game Central Station. Meanwhile, with Gigantic, there's nothing. Absolutely everything has to be written, designed, and programed from scratch. Unlike WiR, there are no set rules to follow. So, with an original movie, the story-team has an unlimited amount of options to choose from, which I assume lengthens the writing process. They have to keep on testing what works for the characters and world and what doesn't. A sequel's story-team likely already knows what works and what doesn't based on their experiences with the original film, so their writing process is shorter.
Warm Regards
Special Edition

Post by Warm Regards »

DisneyEra wrote:King of the Elves, Gigantic, Cosmic 3000 & Mort. I would take any of those would-be original features over any sequel, be it WiR or not. Original 2D animated features died post Tangled, now it looks like original features in general CGI died with Gigantic.
While I'm somewhat excited for certain sequels, I must confess that I feel pretty ... unresolved over the sudden push for sequels as a whole.

Yes, Disney. I know Frozen made a billion dollars. That's pretty much why you wish to make a sequel to that and anything that has made or could make another billion.

But why make sequels for films when you could use the money and resources to conjure up unique and fresh ideas?

I still don't understand why they can't use some of the Frozen money to produce a hand drawn film...

Okay, I know why. Because to Disney hand drawn isn't profitable, while CG is great because we just gotta see a character's nose hairs, and sequels need to be made because "the story isn't complete yet"...

Wreck it Ralph 2 sounds exciting, but I don't think it's something we were in desperate need of.

On a side note... are all of these sequels going to be counted part of the official Disney canon? I've never made heads or tails of the matter as of yet. I presume yes but I'm not sure.

Side side note: The Incredibles 2 comes out in 2019... I must make time to see the first one before then.