Disney Animation on Blu-ray in 2016

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
stevemcqueen
Gold Classic Collection

Re: Disney Animation on Blu-ray in 2016

Post by stevemcqueen »

Thanks for posting these!! I like them, both had great cover art on the previous editions so I'm glad they didn't go that far from the previous art. I also like the fact that they started to match the colour of each border to it's cover instead of just shoving the blue ones like they used to.
JeanGreyForever
Signature Collection

Post by JeanGreyForever »

The other Dumbo one was better. And I never liked the previous Alice cover anyway so this doesn't really do anything for me.
ImageImage
We’re a dyad in the Force. Two that are one.
"I offered you my hand once. You wanted to take it." - Kylo Ren
"I did want to take your hand. Ben's hand." - Rey
Wonderlicious
Diamond Edition

Post by Wonderlicious »

Not really a fan of those covers. The Alice in Wonderland cover is a real cut and paste job from various covers of the past ten or fifteen years - so much so, it looks like a fan-made Photoshop job. And since when were Dumbo's ears big enough that they could accidentally cause a solar eclipse? :roll:
Nala
Anniversary Edition

Post by Nala »

In Pocahontas, did they include the song, "If I Never Knew You"?
My Growing DVD Collection!

http://www.invelos.com/DVDCollection.aspx/Pocahontas

Disneyland Trips: 09/87, 12/08

Walt Disney World Trips: 09/08, 12/09, 06/11, 09/14

Knott's Berry Farm: 09/87, 12/08
TheSequelOfDisney
Signature Collection

Post by TheSequelOfDisney »

Nala wrote:In Pocahontas, did they include the song, "If I Never Knew You"?
The new DMC version is simply a reissue, I believe. If I Never Knew You and the Reprise aren't available to watch as part of the film itself, and only the first song is available as a deleted scene. While I have the original Blu-ray, I've kept my 10th Anniversary DVD just for watching the extended, and better, cut of the film.
The Divulgations of One Desmond Leica: http://desmondleica.wordpress.com/
The_Iceflash
Anniversary Edition

Post by The_Iceflash »

How sad that 2016 seems to be dominated by straight reissues of previous Blu-ray releases, give or take a few bonus features. Is their catalog film market really that non-existent? I mean between that and the live action Blu-rays being locked up in the DMC, there's essentially nothing. Yet, we're so desperate for a new release that we're willing to buy a new reissue because it has a new cover? Where did our standards go?
JeanGreyForever wrote:Happy to hear Dumbo is being re-released. Alice would excite me more if it actually got a more accurate restoration but I'm sure that's not going to happen anytime soon.
Can you prove to me that it is somehow not accurate? I would love to see what information you have that Disney doesn't that proves that it is inaccurate.
JeanGreyForever wrote:It was a new set of colors that basically pumped up the brightness.
You were there and part of the restoration process to know that it can be summed up by them "basically pumping up the brightness"? Intriguing. Tell me more!
JeanGreyForever
Signature Collection

The_Iceflash wrote:
JeanGreyForever wrote:Happy to hear Dumbo is being re-released. Alice would excite me more if it actually got a more accurate restoration but I'm sure that's not going to happen anytime soon.
Can you prove to me that it is somehow not accurate? I would love to see what information you have that Disney doesn't that proves that it is inaccurate.
JeanGreyForever wrote:It was a new set of colors that basically pumped up the brightness.
You were there and part of the restoration process to know that it can be summed up by them "basically pumping up the brightness"? Intriguing. Tell me more!
We've had this discussion before on past movies like Beauty and the Beast and it's obvious that you and I don't see eye to eye on this matter. However here are some links that you can indulge yourself in, because I'm tired of rehashing the same argument over and over.
http://originaltrilogy.com/topic/Recomm ... 617/page/1
http://www.hometheaterforum.com/communi ... ay.301971/
ImageImage
The_Iceflash
Anniversary Edition

Post by The_Iceflash »

JeanGreyForever wrote:
The_Iceflash wrote: Can you prove to me that it is somehow not accurate? I would love to see what information you have that Disney doesn't that proves that it is inaccurate.
We've had this discussion before on past movies like Beauty and the Beast and it's obvious that you and I don't see eye to eye on this matter. However here are some links that you can indulge yourself in, because I'm tired of rehashing the same argument over and over.
http://originaltrilogy.com/topic/Recomm ... 617/page/1
http://www.hometheaterforum.com/communi ... ay.301971/
With all due respect, those two links/threads, especially the first one, are crap. Their conclusions are drawn by false premises and ignorance.

Their purist recommendation for Fantasia personifies everything that is wrong with their reasonings and logic.
While it is unclear how much digital restoration was done when this film was taken to Blu-ray, the 2010 releases do show a significantly better image.

Purist recommendation: 2001 60th Anniversary DVD (also available as a 2000 Fantasia/Fantasia 2000 box). At this point we can be pretty sure Disney did not use the worst of their restoration methods on Fantasia. A safe bet for the finicky.
Essentially saying that although the Blu-ray looks significantly better, since they are "sure" that the "worst of their restoration methods" weren't used on the DVD, that they should just stick with the 2001 DVD. What a bunch of crap. I don't know how anyone who has any sense to them would even take a source that has responses like that seriously.

I don't know how or why someone would be that desperate to find something wrong that they would resort to that BS.

I also love how one "purist recommendation" is "film print". Really?!
Disney's Divinity
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Post by Disney's Divinity »

I'm assuming "agree to disagree" would be ignored here.
Listening to most often lately:
Abi Carter ~ "Part of Your World" (live)
Taylor Swift ~ "The Alchemy"
Taylor Swift ~ "The Prophecy"
JeanGreyForever
Signature Collection

The_Iceflash wrote:
With all due respect, those two links/threads, especially the first one, are crap. Their conclusions are drawn by false premises and ignorance.

Their purist recommendation for Fantasia personifies everything that is wrong with their reasonings and logic.
While it is unclear how much digital restoration was done when this film was taken to Blu-ray, the 2010 releases do show a significantly better image.

Purist recommendation: 2001 60th Anniversary DVD (also available as a 2000 Fantasia/Fantasia 2000 box). At this point we can be pretty sure Disney did not use the worst of their restoration methods on Fantasia. A safe bet for the finicky.
Essentially saying that although the Blu-ray looks significantly better, since they are "sure" that the "worst of their restoration methods" weren't used on the DVD, that they should just stick with the 2001 DVD. What a bunch of crap. I don't know how anyone who has any sense to them would even take a source that has responses like that seriously.

I don't know how or why someone would be that desperate to find something wrong that they would resort to that BS.

I also love how one "purist recommendation" is "film print". Really?!
I do give you that they are a bit extreme, although they are purists so it comes with the territory. On the blu-ray thread for Fantasia, there was a man who said he had worked with the preservation of the film and he said that while 1/2 of the film's segments were color-correct, the other half were not accurate. I honestly don't have enough familiarity with Fantasia to really have an opinion on that.

I still stand by my point on films like Beauty and the Beast and Alice in Wonderland. Beauty and the Beast has way too many discrepancies in its numerous restorations (Platinum/IMAX, 2D Diamond, and 3D Diamond) to take it for face-value. I'm still curious as to what the 2017 Beauty and the Beast Signature Edition will yield color-wise. Going by the recent books as part of the Princess line, I'm guessing it will be one of the two Diamond Edition color schemes (hopefully the 3D one since Belle's hair is actually brown in that rather than reddish-brown). The Alice colors have been said numerous times to have been pumped up for its blu-ray release. It's actually quite a striking image, but I don't feel right watching it knowing that these colors are not what they were originally supposed to be. I think Alice's hair is the best example for that. Her hair on the blu-ray is the same bright canary yellow that Cinderella gets for her hair in the clipart these days, a shade that would not have been used in the 50s. Mary Blair's color palette was always pastel, not the garishly bright shades used on the blu-ray. Disney has flat out admitted that Cinderella's restoration was botched-up, so couldn't it be possible that they have messed up or tampered with other restorations as well?
Disney's Divinity wrote:I'm assuming "agree to disagree" would be ignored here.
No, I agree with this. I think we both have two very different mentalities on some of Disney's restorations, and that's all right. I stand by my view as I'm sure The_Iceflash stands by his.
ImageImage
Mickeyfan1990
Collector's Edition

Post by Mickeyfan1990 »

I actually like Disney's restorations. The only 2 I didn't like were The Sword In The Stone and Mickey's Christmas Carol.

At any rate the 65th AE of Alice and 75th AE of Dumbo are now available at DMC. Alice will be made available to all retailers July 19th (no word on Dumbo yet):
http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Alice-in- ... ay/153276/
JeanGreyForever
Signature Collection

I wonder if Alice is the only one being released in retail stores b/c of the upcoming movie.
ImageImage
uVSthem

Post by uVSthem »

Mickeyfan1990 wrote:I actually like Disney's restorations. The only 2 I didn't like were The Sword In The Stone and Mickey's Christmas Carol.

At any rate the 65th AE of Alice and 75th AE of Dumbo are now available at DMC. Alice will be made available to all retailers July 19th (no word on Dumbo yet):
What's the difference between these new releases and the previous blurays?
TheSequelOfDisney
Signature Collection

Post by TheSequelOfDisney »

uVSthem wrote:
Mickeyfan1990 wrote:I actually like Disney's restorations. The only 2 I didn't like were The Sword In The Stone and Mickey's Christmas Carol.

What's the difference between these new releases and the previous blurays?
Probably nothing but the addition of a digital copy. I don't think anything changed with the new releases of Pocahontas and Mulan (except for the deletions of the sequels, which neither Alice nor Dumbo have).
The Divulgations of One Desmond Leica: http://desmondleica.wordpress.com/
Vlad
Collector's Edition

Post by Vlad »

I kinda like these new covers, especially for Alice in Wonderland, even though both are just regrouped versions of their old artworks. :lol: :lol:

I haven't seen Dumbo in a while, but I don't remember his ears being so big. :lol: :lol:
Last edited by Vlad on Wed May 04, 2016 2:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

Some pics via Blu-ray.com

Comparison between the new and the previous Blu-ray releases.

ImageImageImageImageImageImage
Atlantica
Signature Collection

Post by Atlantica »

They couldn't even be bothered to fill in the gap left behind when they moved Alice :roll: At least they changed the direction her eyes were looking .....
Disney's Divinity

Post by Disney's Divinity »

The Blu-ray cover with the PS3 sticker is my favorite of the Alice covers. I don't plan to buy either of these. Maybe Dumbo just because I only have a VHS version of it right now.

I agree with JeanGreyForever in regards to restorations. Cinderella, B&tB, and The Sword in the Stone are particularly egregious. TLM looks completely different from the Platinum to the Diamond. No, I don't think "I'm smarter than" the people Disney hires to do their restorations, but I don't consider Disney trustworthy in regards to anything. They could just as easily decide they want to change the colors to fit their Disney Princess line or because they want the films to look more in-line with the hi-bright films of today or some other momentary BS whim, and it would not be out-of-character for them. That's why I'm completely fine with people who find the various restorations suspect.
Listening to most often lately:
Abi Carter ~ "Part of Your World" (live)
Taylor Swift ~ "The Alchemy"
Taylor Swift ~ "The Prophecy"
Christopher_TCUIH
Special Edition

Post by Christopher_TCUIH »

The mail just came and I checked the blu-rays out. So the only new stuff are the digital copy codes and the artwork. The discs have the new anniversary logos on them but they are the exact same copies (old trailers and all) from the 2011 releases. No new bonus features whatsoever. They didn't even update the Alice In Wonderland DVD disc. It's the same 2004 Masterpiece Edition disc 1 with just "Reflections On Alice" featurette added. Dumbo opens up with The Lion King Diamond Edition trailer and Alice In Wonderland opens with Bambi Diamond Edition trailer so still no clue as to the next Walt Disney Signature Collection is.
Matt
Anniversary Edition

Post by Matt »

Christopher_TCUIH wrote:The mail just came and I checked the blu-rays out. So the only new stuff are the digital copy codes and the artwork. The discs have the new anniversary logos on them but they are the exact same copies (old trailers and all) from the 2011 releases. No new bonus features whatsoever. They didn't even update the Alice In Wonderland DVD disc. It's the same 2004 Masterpiece Edition disc 1 with just "Reflections On Alice" featurette added. Dumbo opens up with The Lion King Diamond Edition trailer and Alice In Wonderland opens with Bambi Diamond Edition trailer so still no clue as to the next Walt Disney Signature Collection is.
Isn't the new Walt Disney Signature Edition Beauty and the Beast?
Any word on any new animated Blu-rays we didn't get coming out this year?
2016 seems so dry to me. :(