Tangled: The Series

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
Lady Cluck
Anniversary Edition

Re: Tangled TV Series in 2017

Post by Lady Cluck »

Good. When news of this broke the projected premiere date seemed so far away but now we're less than a year away from a full movie that will give us a glimpse of the quality and tone this will have. Tangled isn't my favorite anyway so I'm not expecting anything fantastic, but the talent is certainly there for it to be worthwhile so I'm still hoping for the best.
LADY Image CLUCK
Sotiris
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Post by Sotiris »

Glenn Slater talks about the show.
Glenn Slater wrote:The writers have come up with some very clever and exciting ideas about how to spin out (Rapunzel’s) story. Getting to play in that sandbox again with those characters is a blast. And in some ways we get to dig even deeper into their emotional lives. It’s always fun to get to go back to characters we’ve spent a lot of time with.
Source: http://www.app.com/story/entertainment/ ... /82497434/
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

Zachary Levi revealed that there are only going to be 78 episodes in total over the course of three seasons. It seems weird that they've pre-determined the number of episodes and seasons the show is going to last long before it airs.
Q: Could we talk about Tangled?

Zachary Levi: At this point, there’s not a sequel but we are doing a TV show. It’s 26 episodes a season for three seasons. This series basically tales place between the end of Tangled and before they end up getting married in whatever those adventures were.
Source: http://www.etonline.com/tv/188991_zacha ... ck_update/
jazzflower92
Anniversary Edition

Post by jazzflower92 »

Probably so that it runs it's course without becoming stale over time.
Atlantica
Signature Collection

Post by Atlantica »

Good; I like the idea that it has a beginning, middle and end. I only hope that Disney shows them all, and its not a case of the show not attracting the gazillion viewers, and Disney doesn't bother to air the entire run.

I wonder if there will be merchandise launched for the TV show as well ?
estefan
Platinum Edition

Post by estefan »

Sotiris wrote:Zachary Levi revealed that there are only going to be 78 episodes in total over the course of three seasons. It seems weird that they've pre-determined the number of episodes and seasons the show is going to last long before it airs.
That used to be the norm back in the days of syndication, where almost all of Disney's animated series were planned to have 65 episodes (Nickelodeon functioned the same way, which is partly why Doug was able to move to ABC as Nick didn't order the full 65 episodes required of their contract with Jumbo Pictures).
"There are two wolves and they are always fighting. One is darkness and despair. The other is light and hope. Which wolf wins? Whichever one you feed." - Casey Newton, Tomorrowland
Lady Cluck
Anniversary Edition

Post by Lady Cluck »

Yeah, it sounds like a traditional format.

I hope they'd be creative enough to do something a little more serialized if they have a set number of episodes to produce, but I doubt it. Not sure I'll keep up with 78 episodes of self-contained adventures, but it all depends on the quality.
LADY Image CLUCK
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

Updates from the executive producer of the show, Chris Sonnenburg.
Chris Sonnenburg wrote:I JUST returned from Nashville recording some key Queen dialog with Ashley Judd at the beautiful and stunningly inspiring Dark Horse Recording Studios. We had a wonderful time and got some great speaking performances from Ashley! And don’t be too surprised if at some point in the series, some location shows a striking resemblance to this magnificent place.

I’m sure you all saw we had a live music record a few weeks ago at Capitol Records in Hollywood laying down the live tracks to the three songs from our first show written by the amazing Alan Menken! And I just had my first sit down meeting today with Kevin Kliesch who is scoring the music for the series.

We are still very hard at work continuing to write, board, design, paint and now animate well into this first season. In fact, there are SO many things happening at once that it’s difficult to find the time to write you all but I will try and be better about posting updates.
Source: http://cnotes.tumblr.com/post/145848460 ... asking-for
Chris Sonnenburg wrote:Well, we are starting to get our first bits of animation back from our partners at Mercury Filmworks in Canada and it…..looks…..gorgeous! The team up there have a passion for great animation and are stepping up their game to bring to this show the best work I think they’ve ever done. BUT! Animation coming back only really means one thing for me. POST-PRODUCTION! That means bringing together all the little details that really tighten up a show. Things like final score, and sound effects, and making sure the colors are exactly what we want and maybe rerecording some of the actors if lines have been changed or added. Lots of little things that just raise the quality of the show to its final state. So for score we have been meeting with the amazing Kevin Kliesch who scored the movie Tangled to give the images an audible bed to lay against. If you have listened to the soundtrack as much as I have, you’ll know what I’m talking about. The feature version of Tangled had a lush score that elevated the story and gave it such texture so we want to give the series the same amount of attention and care.

We’ve also been finalizing the songs in the first season. You may have read that my priority is to keep the songs that are sung in the show to have meaning and push the story in the same way songs are used in our feature films, so we have pin pointed the major songs in the season and have placed them where they belong best. Alan Menken and Glenn Slater have working very hard to keep the songs sincere and special so mixing them at this stage is just adding to the overall quality of the show. I really think you guys are going to love the music. I’m already a fan of it!

We’ve also been meeting with our sound mixers to lay down sound effects and giving Pascal and Maximus their voices for the show. They play major parts in the show so getting them to sound right is extremely important to me. Pascal has so many emotions that he goes through and getting those to sound right is a unique challenge.

And of course we continue to record with our principals Mandy, Zac, and Eden. They are more like family members to me now and I look forward to seeing them every week whether they be in the studio with us here or recording in New York. Paul F. Tompkins as Shorty one of the Pub Thugs always bring the laughs and Jeffrey Tambor as Big Nose brings such heart and warmth to his character. So fun!
Source: http://cnotes.tumblr.com/post/149177529 ... tle-update
Chris Sonnenburg wrote:But Tuesday was a pretty great day. So many things happening on the show. Final animation coming in, music being finalized, sound effects being selected and created, more episodes being written and boarded every day. It’s fun to take a second with the two stars of the show and just appreciate what they bring to the heart of the show. The warmth and sincerity of their performances as well as their ACTUAL fun and charm in the studio. I’m fortunate to be able to work with SO MANY amazing artists on this project but when I get to see these two work, it becomes very clear why this story works so well.
Source: http://cnotes.tumblr.com/post/151428174 ... -brilliant
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

Banner from this year's Licensing Expo.

Source: http://www.comingsoon.net/movies/featur ... #/slide/93

Name plates for the show's crew designed by Ben Balistreri.

Source: http://benbalistreri.tumblr.com/post/14 ... ough-but-i

The artwork adorning the name plates in detail.

Source: http://tangledbea.tumblr.com/post/15275 ... credit-ben
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

Apparently, there are going to be Tangled shorts as a companion to the series.

Taken from the Instagram account of Chris Sonnenburg, the executive producer of the show.

Source: https://www.instagram.com/p/BKoeQiDAoyv/

Source: https://www.instagram.com/p/BKYl2a3gbrF/
Atlantica
Signature Collection

Post by Atlantica »

Yay !!!!!!! Will these be in the style of the show I'm supposing ? Hope they are as good as the Pixie Previews.

You really are a font of all information Sotiris ... How do you do it ?!
disneyprincess11
Diamond Edition

Post by disneyprincess11 »

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fuu_QqCOq6o[/youtube]

Thank Jesus there’s an explanation of how the hair grows back.
Warm Regards
Special Edition

Post by Warm Regards »

disneyprincess11 wrote:Thank Jesus there’s an explanation of how the hair grows back.
Is there really an explanation, though?

Or are they brushing aside the golden hair (i.e., it's just something that happens), and that scene was just "wacky hi-jinks in the castle"?
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

That digital 2D animation looks so crude. It actually looks worse than the animation in The Lion Guard. :headshake: And I'm not feeling the new designs either, especially of the human characters. Somehow, they look worse in motion.

It's a little strange they changed the title from "Tangled: Before Ever After" to just "Tangled: The Series".

Tangled
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Tangled »

Here's a mirror for if you live in a far, far away land (such as Canada) and can't view the video.

I actually kind of like the animation. Unlike Lion Guard, it's not purposely trying to mimic something that has been done much better before. I like the lack of outlines. It meshes well with Rapunzel's paintings from the movie. I mean, it's very...digital, but I don't inherently see that as a bad thing. It kind of reminds of Cartoon Saloon's stuff (namingly Puffin Rock, because I'm not going to attempt to compare a TV series' animation to Secret of Kells or Song of the Sea).
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

DisneyFan09
Platinum Edition

Post by DisneyFan09 »

Sotiris wrote:That digital 2D animation looks so crude. It actually looks worse than the animation in The Lion Guard. :headshake: And I'm not feeling the new designs either, especially of the human characters. Somehow, they look worse in motion.
Agreed. The animation and the character designs are incredibly generic. But at least it wasn't a complete surprise. I saw it coming.
D82
Signature Collection

Post by D82 »

Thanks, I couldn't watch the other link either.

I would've preferred a more traditional 2D look for the series, but I expected it would be something like this so I'm not disappointed. My biggest problem is that Rapunzel and Flynn look too different from their designs in the film. I hope the stories at least are good and the explanation of how the hair grows back is convincing.

Regarding the title change, I guess they changed it to make it easier for the audience to identify it as a TV series, or so that it wasn't confused with the short's title which was very similar.
Lady Cluck
Anniversary Edition

Post by Lady Cluck »

I like the unique art style to be honest. It's better than it would look with the original 3D style on a smaller budget (like Sofia the First :shudder:) and shifting to a regular 2D approach wouldn't have looked great either with these characters and on a small budget (the 90s shows and direct to video sequels have some ghastly off model animation), so I like this different stylized approach.
LADY Image CLUCK
Warm Regards
Special Edition

Post by Warm Regards »

So I went back to watch the teaser again.

And actually, I think disneyprincess11 is right, they will somehow explain the hair growth.

On the walls you see paintings of scenes from the first movie. But you also see a brunette Rapunzel holding hands with her parents. Which implies she was brunette at some point and they aren't just pretending the end of the movie didn't happen

Source: http://mooncactus.tumblr.com/post/15147 ... hd-look-at