Lasseter takeover--good or bad?

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
NeverLand
Gold Classic Collection

Re: Lasseter takeover--good or bad?

Post by NeverLand »

Semaj wrote:He's probably still mad at how they fired him back in the 80s...
Agreed.
Disney's Divinity
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Post by Disney's Divinity »

Wow. :lol: There aren't any words.
Listening to most often lately:
Ariana Grande ~ "we can't be friends (wait for your love)"
Ariana Grande ~ "imperfect for you"
Kacey Musgraves ~ "The Architect"
Atlantica
Signature Collection

Post by Atlantica »

Oh lord.

Think of what they could have done instead of this ludicrous display of his shirts .... He beggars belief, really does.
Chernabog
Special Edition

Post by Chernabog »

DisneyFan09 wrote:Oh my...

I dislike him more and more. Priorly I've would've praised his takeover, but considering the demise of hand drawn, I won't even shed him a tear.
Totally agree!
ce1ticmoon
Gold Classic Collection

Post by ce1ticmoon »

lol, it's pretty silly, but not really offensive.... They are exhibiting one-of-a-kind shirts that commemorated each film, it seems, so they are items that you can't really see anywhere else, so it doesn't seem completely without value. Now, if they were just simply exhibiting his personal collection of Hawaiian shirts from his wardrobe, that would be offensive. But this? It's nothing. The self-congratulatory documentaries are far worse (not that those are limited to Lasseter).
unprincess
Collector's Edition

Post by unprincess »

Lasseter takeover= good financially, bad creatively
jazzflower92
Anniversary Edition

Post by jazzflower92 »

unprincess wrote:Lasseter takeover= good financially, bad creatively
I don't think its as creatively bad as people are making it out to be. This want for hand drawn animation in my opinion is getting a little overated.
ce1ticmoon
Gold Classic Collection

Post by ce1ticmoon »

I think there's a trade-off. Most of the films since the takeover have been decidedly safe, but there is a consistency of quality that was no longer present during the immediate post-Renaissance period. That's not to say, though, that I wouldn't have rather seen a meandering and somewhat sloppy American Dog over the decent, but ultimately bland Bolt, for example.

I don't think the issue for everyone is necessarily about hand-drawn animation. Even his detractors admit that The Princess and the Frog probably wouldn't have been made if he didn't push so hard for it. One of the problems is that he claims that both studios are director-driven, when the behind-the-scenes stuff indicates that it very much is not the case (except for maybe the films made by the original Pixar Brain Trust and Brad Bird).

Personally, I do agree with a lot of the members here in that I do find the articles and such exalting Lasseter as some sort of god as annoying and tiring. But on the other hand, I agree with you, and find that a lot of his accomplishments are completely disregarded around here (though nothing excuses his complicity in the wage fixing scandal, but that is another issue).
DisneyFan09
Platinum Edition

Post by DisneyFan09 »

jazzflower92 wrote:I don't think its as creatively bad as people are making it out to be. This want for hand drawn animation in my opinion is getting a little overated.
If you don't think his takeover is as bad, you could at least state why you consider it to be! You're constantly repeating yourself and objecting about the negative statements about Lasseter, without deliviering your own reason!

I'm usually a nice and peaceful person and I'm sorry for my tantrum, but I'm sick of your constant nagging about Lasseter being not as bad, without explaning why! I usually rarely attack others, but would it really kill you to stop being repetive and actually give your own opinon about it? I've asked you several times, but you haven't answered yet and continue to nag about Lasseter not being as bad!
Chernabog wrote:Totally agree!
Last edited by DisneyFan09 on Wed Jul 22, 2015 3:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jazzflower92
Anniversary Edition

Post by jazzflower92 »

I see more emphasis lately on racial diversity in their movies, willing to play around with some of the tropes Disney has been known for, overtime have shed off a lot of 2000's animation tropes like emphasis on toilet humor, and for a lot of their recent films they have really put more research into the settings the films take place in.

If I want to be honest I see American Dog just like Kingdom of the Sun which is it might have been ambitious in what it was doing but the execution was beginning to look like a mess. I think American Dog could have been like The Black Cauldron in which someone tried to do something a little different but it ended up falling all over the place.
DisneyFan09
Platinum Edition

Post by DisneyFan09 »

jazzflower92 wrote:I see more emphasis lately on racial diversity in their movies, willing to play around with some of the tropes Disney has been known for, overtime have shed off a lot of 2000's animation tropes like emphasis on toilet humor, and for a lot of their recent films they have really put more research into the settings the films take place in.

If I want to be honest I see American Dog just like Kingdom of the Sun which is it might have been ambitious in what it was doing but the execution was beginning to look like a mess. I think American Dog could have been like The Black Cauldron in which someone tried to do something a little different but it ended up falling all over the place.
I'm glad you could finally give an explanation. Sorry I was crass towards you, but you understand why I found it odd that you were constantly repeating yourself and never elaborating? Either way, I'm sorry.

But frankly, Disney has always put research into the settings the films take place in. They've might not depicted all the cultures with accuracy, but they've made research.
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

That's one of the things that really bothers me about Lasseter. He keeps using getting fired from Disney in the 80s in his success narrative to elicit sympathy and illustrate how corporate and cruel Disney was back then but when he became the boss he did the exact same thing. He fired so many creative people at both Pixar and Disney and yet no one has ever called him on it. No one has ever pointed out the hypocrisy of the situation.
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
Tristy
Special Edition

Post by Tristy »

Sotiris wrote:
That's one of the things that really bothers me about Lasseter. He keeps using getting fired from Disney in the 80s in his success narrative to elicit sympathy and illustrate how corporate and cruel Disney was back then but when he became the boss he did the exact same thing. He fired so many creative people at both Pixar and Disney and yet no one has ever called him on it. No one has ever pointed out the hypocrisy of the situation.
I think I know why. Cause they don't want to say anything bad about Pixar.
Disney's Divinity

unprincess wrote:Lasseter takeover= good financially, bad creatively
That's the sum of it. :up:
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

ImageImageImageImageImageImage
Disney's Divinity

We should all get together and have a hulu shirt bonfire.
DisneyEra
Anniversary Edition

Post by DisneyEra »

ce1ticmoon
Gold Classic Collection

Post by ce1ticmoon »

Just :lol:
PatrickvD
Signature Collection

Post by PatrickvD »

I wonder f Lasseter understands Hawaiian themed shirts are considered the epitome of bad taste and poor fashion sense?

These hideous clothes should be burned, not celebrated. If I had been in the crowd and one of them landed on me I would be like 'ew get it off me'....
DisneyFan09
Platinum Edition

Post by DisneyFan09 »

Lasseter gets praised for breathing and living animation in the article of the D23 convention. And how he praises his colleagues. Yeah, right.
I wonder f Lasseter understands Hawaiian themed shirts are considered the epitome of bad taste and poor fashion sense?
Hahahaha! :)