Tangled: The Series

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
JeanGreyForever
Signature Collection

Re: Tangled TV Series in 2017

Post by JeanGreyForever »

I didn't think it was possible for her eyes to get even larger, but I've been proven wrong.
ajmrowland wrote:
JeanGreyForever wrote:Rapunzel is set in 1780. The only princess she could possibly crossover with would be Belle. The others are nowhere near her time period. Not to mention Disney refrains from crossing the princesses over in their canon. It would never happen.
Where was this confirmed?
If you type Rapunzel or Tangled with 1780 on Google, it will show up. The creators confirmed it, but I'm not sure if it was in the movie's commentary (I can barely stomach watching the film on its own, let alone with a running commentary on how the film was butchered) or in the art book.
ImageImage
We’re a dyad in the Force. Two that are one.
"I offered you my hand once. You wanted to take it." - Kylo Ren
"I did want to take your hand. Ben's hand." - Rey
MeerkatKombat
Special Edition

Post by MeerkatKombat »

Don't get me wrong - I applaud that it is 2D. Whether it is true 2D or not is something to argue at a different date as it is likely majority computer input. I understand what Kyle said about Stiffness. I may also be the only one but it just looks cheap. Stylized - yes, beautiful - not in my opinion. It lacks the grace of the 2d films. Of course, this will be a much smaller budget so I can't expect animation of snow white quality.
At the end of the day, this is they style they are going to go for and that's that.

I'll give this a go. Be interesting to see where they go story-wise. Tangled tied up its loose ends and I doubt there would be much story in before Rapunzel met Flynn. Rapunzel would be in her tower and that would be it.
I'll try and watch it a few times but I'm not really excited about it. Also wasn't a huge fan of the movie to begin with.
I'm more excited that Disney is attempting a TV series of their films again. It's my 90s childhood all over again.
Settling Soul mates? That is grim. And I've played Monopoly alone.
Sotiris
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Post by Sotiris »

Zachary Levi talks about the Tangled TV show.
“We always kind of sat around going, ‘is there going to be more? Are we going to do a sequel?’ And then they announced a ‘Frozen’ sequel and I was like ‘what do you mean?'” he says.”Then they announced they were going to do an animated series and I was like ‘rock and roll!’ So it’s going to be a fun adventure.”
Source: http://globalnews.ca/news/2102246/zacha ... ed-sequel/
Q: It was so exciting to hear about the Tangled TV series on Disney Channel in 2017. How did that come about?

Zachary Levi: As far as how it came about, I got an email or call from my agency saying, “Hey Disney is ramping up to do an animated Tangled series, and they want you and Mandy [Moore] to come back and reprise your roles.” I was like, “What?! That’s awesome!” And then, I sat down with the writers and they gave me and Mandy this really big pitch about where the series was going to go and the storyline. It takes place between the end of the film and before the short film, Tangled Ever After, that was released about our wedding day. It’s that three years of adventure and journey of Flynn and Rapunzel, finding out who they are and finding out who one another are. It’s not going to be done in the same CG animation style. It’s going to be done in a really cool 2D stylized way. Mandy and I are back, with some of the other people who voiced the characters in the original film, and Alan Menken is coming back to do music. While it’s not a full-blown musical show, there will be some songs peppered throughout. It’s just really cool.

Q: Are you surprised that it took so long for them to want to revisit those characters again?

Zachary Levi: I don’t know why it took so long. I think after the film, there were probably conversations going on of, “Do we make a sequel? Do we make another film?” The development process is an interesting one. There’s a lot of voices and a lot of people who weigh in on the decision making for what’s best for a particular IP. I think they probably weighed doing the movie for awhile. By the way, this is all conjecture. I have no idea. I would wager that that was probably something that they were talking about, but they weren’t really sure. Plus, they had a slate of all the other films they were doing, so they probably talked about when were they going to slide it in, if they were going to. Ultimately, what they probably settled on was doing an animated series, and then they developed that idea for awhile and landed on what they landed on. I think that’s cool.

[...] One of the fun things about that is that there will be younger audiences who may have been too young to have watched the original movie, or maybe they weren’t even born, and now they get to watch a series that’s brand new for them. And kids or adults who saw the movie can now watch the series. The idea for the series is to have the same heart and world that the film was, which was something that was enjoyable for both adults and kids. Though it’s on the Disney Channel, it will be something that the whole family can enjoy. That’s exciting!
Source: http://collider.com/zachary-levi-heroes ... interview/
Q: For as much amazing “geek cred” that you have, I’m sure you also get lots of love for being the voice of Flynn Rider is Disney’s Tangled. How does it feel to be a part of that pop-culture fairy tale universe? What’s the word from Disney about potentially continuing the Tangled storyline?

Zachary Levi: It was an absolute dream come true – I’ve been a massive Disney fan, or “Disney Nerd,” as I like to call it, since I was a little kid. Doing a Disney musical was absolutely mind-blowing. And they did such a great job with the movie… people continue to find it and love it, and I’m extremely honored that I got to be a part of it. As far as continuing the storyline on – we are! We’re currently making a Tangled animated series that’s going to premiere in 2017. We’re already recording episodes, and we’ve got basically the entire original cast back together – me and Mandy (Moore), and some various other people who play pub thugs and all that stuff… we’re really looking forward to people liking it and enjoying the continued adventures of Flynn and Rapunzel!
Source: http://nerdbastards.com/2015/09/24/excl ... hary-levi/
Q: So what’s the status of the “Tangled” animated series? Is that still a go?

Zachary Levi: Oh, yeah, definitely a go. We’ve recorded…oh, a handful of episodes now. And they start airing in 2017. I mean, animation is such a long process. But, yeah, I think we’re doing… [Hesitates.] I don’t know, we’re doing quite a few episodes. 26 a season, I think, or something like that. But it’s going to be great. I loved that movie. I loved being a part of it. It was a dream come true. It was so great, and Mandy (Moore) and I just loved it, and I really love her, so they came to us with this offer to do the series, and we both were, like, “Yeah, let’s do this!” And they’ve got basically all the original cast back together. I mean, Mother Gothel’s not in it. She passed away, God rest her soul. [Laughs.] But a lot of the bar thugs are back.

Q: Is Brad Garrett back, then?

Zachary Levi: I … don’t know. I don’t have the list of everyone. But I hope so!

Q: So will the animated series have songs as well?

Zachary Levi: Uh-huh. It will have some music. It’s not really a musical series so much, but it’s an animated series that will have some music and some musical elements to it.

Q: I don’t know how much you can say about it, but will it pick up more or less where the movie left off?

Zachary Levi: It’s between where the movie leaves off and where the short film picks up, where we get married. So it’s kind of those three years in between. Plenty of room to work with. [Laughs.]
Source: http://hamptonroads.com/blog/763121/201 ... k%E2%80%9D
Fans of the flick might be disappointed, because according to Zach, there won’t be a sequel: “There’s not going to be a Tangled 2,” he tells HollywoodLife.com EXCLUSIVELY. There’s good news, though: “We’re doing a Tangled series! Tangled: Ever After was the short we did, and now we’re doing a series for the Disney Channel,” Zach says.
Source: http://hollywoodlife.com/2016/05/04/zac ... minations/
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
Flanger-Hanger
Platinum Edition

Post by Flanger-Hanger »

"Though it’s on the Disney Channel, it will be something that the whole family can enjoy."

What a depressing statement for those of us who knew that the original point of The Disney Channel was to produce and distribute entertainment the whole family could enjoy. It's a sad thing that Mr. Levi has to make a point of saying it will be amusing for more than just 5-year olds.

At least there is a chance this will be good.
estefan
Platinum Edition

Post by estefan »

"It takes place between the end of the film and before the short film, Tangled Ever After, that was released about our wedding day. It’s that three years of adventure and journey of Flynn and Rapunzel, finding out who they are and finding out who one another are."

Kind of reminds me of the Aladdin tv series. I like the concept, so this definitely sounds like something worth looking forward to.
"There are two wolves and they are always fighting. One is darkness and despair. The other is light and hope. Which wolf wins? Whichever one you feed." - Casey Newton, Tomorrowland
sweetjuliet

Post by sweetjuliet »

So how come if this series take place after the end of the movie, that Rapunzel is shown in the concept art with blonde and long hair :? ?
jazzflower92
Anniversary Edition

Post by jazzflower92 »

estefan wrote:"It takes place between the end of the film and before the short film, Tangled Ever After, that was released about our wedding day. It’s that three years of adventure and journey of Flynn and Rapunzel, finding out who they are and finding out who one another are."

Kind of reminds me of the Aladdin tv series. I like the concept, so this definitely sounds like something worth looking forward to.
Just imagine all the villains they could take on. :up:
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

There are conflicting reports on the involvement of the film's directors with the TV series. :scratch:
Q: Congrats on the upcoming series!

Nathan Greno: Ha thanks, but I honestly don't have anything to do with it! It's Disney Television Animation.
Source: https://www.facebook.com/nathan.greno/p ... 6980607101
Q: Will you work on the upcoming Tangled series as well?

Byron Howard: Nathan and I served as consultants.
Source: https://twitter.com/ByronHowardZOOT/sta ... 2209677312
Prince Kido
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Prince Kido »

Those are absolutely not conflicting reports at all !
Both directors are right.
They SERVED (past) as consultants when this project was in early stages a long time ago to make sure the characters will stay true to the original movie.
Since the TV show is in production, they are not involved anymore.
Hope that makes sense now. :)
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

Prince Kido wrote:Hope that makes sense now. :)
It does. Thanks! Byron clarified it as well.
Byron Howard wrote:Some online confusion about my answer. *Served* -Past tense. Early on. Not involved w/series at present.
Source: https://twitter.com/ByronPHoward/status ... 3118073856
Q: Are you part of the crew working on the Tangled series?

Byron Howard: No, early on, Nathan and I did some consulting.
Source: https://twitter.com/ByronPHoward/status ... 9712211968
Q: What is the progress on the Tangled series?

Byron Howard: I am not really involved in Tangled. I know it’s happening, so that’s my answer.
Source: http://www.geeksofdoom.com/2016/06/06/z ... -interview
Q: Any involvement with the Tangled TV show at all?

Byron Howard: No. They showed as an early pitch of where they were going with the storyline. It was pretty vast. They had a vast plan that they were going to execute. But we haven’t been involved too much. I’m excited to see it. I’m excited to see what they do.
Source: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dcQTiW7dEUU
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

Kevin Kliesch, the composer, provides new details on the show.
Kevin Kliesch wrote:One thing I can talk about is that I was hired to score the new Tangled series for Disney. It’s a continuation of the Tangled story from where the movie left off but before they get married in the short. So there’s going to be, I think three seasons of that. At least three seasons. I haven’t started on that, I’m just about to start contributing orchestrations to one of the songs that Alan Menken wrote. He’s writing the songs, I’m doing the score, and I think there’s going to be an introductory movie much like Sofia the First was. I think they’re going to do a 44-minute, maybe even a 60 minute movie, to introduce the series, and I don’t start on that probably until maybe sometime next year, but that’s my next job.
Source: http://www.toonzone.net/2015/09/kevin-k ... interview/
Atlantica
Signature Collection

Post by Atlantica »

Mandy Moore has been tweeting a lot recently about Tangled, so she must be well into vocal production now.

She tweeting she was with Chris Sonnenburg, talking all things Tangled, and that she was doing vocal warm ups for a "New tune for #Tangled and it's a good one".

To tell you I'm excited by this is an understatement. :D
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

Claire Keane talks about her involvement with the show.
Claire Keane: I'm working with the Tangled crew at Disney TV. They're coming up with a Tangled TV show and so, I've been helping them out with more design stuff like Rapunzel's paintings and stuff like that. It's just fun to be back in Rapunzel's world a little bit.

Q: It looks like they've redesigned them a little bit. They're not just using the models, right? They've changed it?

Claire Keane: Yeah, because TV animation doing CG that...

Q: Is it CG?

Claire Keane: No, it's not CG. It's going to be 2D. I think it's going to be Harmony and I think that they've done a really good job redesigning the characters so that it fits with a TV animation pipeline and still looks cool.
Source: http://taughtbyapro.com/podcast-29-the- ... interview/
Atlantica
Signature Collection

Post by Atlantica »

Going to be Harmony ? What does that mean ?

So glad she's still involved with it, her designs are beautiful.
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

Atlantica wrote:Going to be Harmony? What does that mean?
It's an animation software used for producing digital 2D animation.

Han-Yee Ling was a writer on the show.
Han-Yee Ling, a UCLA graduate with a degree in screenwriting, who won first place in the 59th Annual Samuel Goldwyn Writing Awards for Excellence in Dramatic Writing for her feature family drama, "Spaghetti Bridges." Her pilots "The Smart Ones" and "Noodles" were highlighted at the 2014 and 2015 UCLA Screenwriters Showcases. Additionally, she was a writer on Disney Channel's new animated TV series, "Tangled."
Source: http://www.multichannel.com/prfeed/disn ... ear/397151
Atlantica
Signature Collection

Post by Atlantica »

Ahhh ok, thank you Sotiris.
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

The first image from the show has been released! What do you think?

The character design is by Shane Prigmore.

Source: https://twitter.com/mercuryfilmwrks/sta ... 4523383808
bruno_wbt
Anniversary Edition

Post by bruno_wbt »

I'm glad she has the long blonde hair! But I hope they explain that...
disneyprincess11
Diamond Edition

Post by disneyprincess11 »

The art style looks much, much better here! Still peeved she still has blonde hair
DisneyFan09
Platinum Edition

Post by DisneyFan09 »

Sotiris wrote:The first image from the show has been released! What do you think?
Horrible! Absolutely generic and horrible! They don't even resemble them selves!