The Hunchback of Notre Dame on Stage

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
DisneyJedi
Platinum Edition

Re: The Hunchback of Notre Dame on Broadway

Post by DisneyJedi »

Well.... At least it'll get to see the stage light nationwide in some form. :(
Disney Duster
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Post by Disney Duster »

That's very sad. I have hopes that someday it will come to Broadway, though. Someday...when we are wiser...when the world's older...when we have learned...
DisneyFan09
Platinum Edition

Post by DisneyFan09 »

Disney Duster wrote:Someday...when we are wiser...when the world's older...when we have learned...
Haha.
Atlantica
Signature Collection

Post by Atlantica »

Oh thats a shame ! Was looking forward to seeing more of it. His attitude is good though, and they way he looks at things. You could end up getting caught up in every little bit of negativity that comes your way otherwise *cough*ThePrincess&theFrog/TheSnowQueen*cough*
disneyprincess11
Diamond Edition

Post by disneyprincess11 »

Not surprised. I watched the La Jolla one via bootleg and wasn't impressed. Gorgeous music & top notch acting, but the direction and the book are horrible. Recently saw Paper Mill via bootleg. Some improvements, some scenes were made worse. Felt nothing at the ending. The problem is Hunchback needs a series book & GRAND, BIG direction for an epic tale. The HUNCHBACK JR. narration ruins the book & the direction was community theatre at best. They needed an expert for the direction and not a newcomer who only got the gig because his dad writes the music (Harsh, I know :oops: ). I want to see this on Broadway so badly ONLY if the production is right. What we saw was a good beginning or first draft, but not enough for Broadway. It would have been another TLM/Tarzan if they took what we saw on Broadway
Disney's Divinity

Post by Disney's Divinity »

Atlantica wrote:Oh thats a shame ! Was looking forward to seeing more of it. His attitude is good though, and they way he looks at things. You could end up getting caught up in every little bit of negativity that comes your way otherwise *cough*ThePrincess&theFrog/TheSnowQueen*cough*
I think being removed from those projects is what helped him to "train himself" not to expect much respect from Disney these days.

I almost wonder if M&C wouldn't have asked for Menken to be a part of Moana, but were refused. (Just like they were refused when they wanted it in 2D.)
Listening to most often lately:
Ariana Grande ~ "we can't be friends (wait for your love)"
Ariana Grande ~ "imperfect for you"
Kacey Musgraves ~ "The Architect"
blackcauldron85

Post by blackcauldron85 »

PHOTOS: ‘The Hunchback of Notre Dame’ Cast Recording Session, Available January 2016
http://www.stitchkingdom.com/disney-pho ... 016-78495/
Prince Edward
Anniversary Edition

Post by Prince Edward »

Bummed about this not getting a Broadway release. But: At least we will get a soundtrack release in English! And, at least now there does excist a full Hunchback stage show in English. Maybe this will make it easier for Disney Theatrical to bring Hunchback to Broadway someday in the future, even in years from now.

Disney Theatrical could edit the script some more and make a few tweaks, and maybe even get Menken and Scwartz write a new song or three, but there are plenty of songs to be sung - so the musical foundation for a Broadway show is clearly there. Let's hope for a future Broadway run for this show!

I wonder: What Alan Menken/Stephen Schwartz musical will play on Broadway first? Pocahontas, Huncback or Enchanted? I belive that at least one Menken/Schwartz show will end up on Broadway at some point...
Favorite Disney-movies: Snow White, Cinderella, Alice in Wonderland, Sleeping Beauty, The Little Mermaid, Beauty and the Beast, Aladdin, Pocahontas, The Hunchback of Notre Dame, Hercules, Mulan, Tarzan, Tangled, Frozen, Pirates, Enchanted, Prince of Persia, Tron, Oz The Great and Powerful
DisneyJedi
Platinum Edition

Post by DisneyJedi »

blackcauldron85 wrote:PHOTOS: ‘The Hunchback of Notre Dame’ Cast Recording Session, Available January 2016
http://www.stitchkingdom.com/disney-pho ... 016-78495/
January? Are you freaking serious? We have to wait another two months for it?! :glare:
Disney's Divinity

Where is the Cast Recording? I've looked on Amazon and can't find it. And is it just me, or did the cover shown in Sotiris' post change? I thought it was of the logo on a white background.
disneyprincess11
Diamond Edition

Post by disneyprincess11 »

Disney's Divinity wrote:Where is the Cast Recording? I've looked on Amazon and can't find it. And is it just me, or did the cover shown in Sotiris' post change? I thought it was of the logo on a white background.
It's not available until January. Pre-orders begin on iTunes next month
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

disneyprincess11 wrote:Pre-orders begin on iTunes next month.
On December 4th, to be exact.
Disney's Divinity wrote:And is it just me, or did the cover shown in Sotiris' post change? I thought it was of the logo on a white background.
Yes, the cover did change. You're not seeing things. :wink:

ImageImage
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
Disney's Divinity

Well, that sucks. I thought it was supposed to be released Nov. 20th. I wonder why they pushed it back?
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

The show is coming to Denmark next Fall!

DisneyFan09
Platinum Edition

Post by DisneyFan09 »

Awesome! It's just a pity that none of the Disney Broadway musicals comes to Norway.

Just wondering, Sotiris, what are your thoughts about Disney's "Hunchback"?
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

DisneyFan09 wrote:Just wondering, Sotiris, what are your thoughts about Disney's "Hunchback"?
I love it! :D
DisneyFan09
Platinum Edition

Post by DisneyFan09 »

Me too! Though it's hampered by aforementioned flaws (dramatically uneven, jarring slapstick and frankly, too controversial at times), I still have a soft spot for it. It's a captivating and compelling movie. The (main) characters are incredibly likable, the animation is breathtakingly gorgeous and the music is wonderful.
Prince Edward
Anniversary Edition

Post by Prince Edward »

DisneyFan09 wrote:Awesome! It's just a pity that none of the Disney Broadway musicals comes to Norway.

Just wondering, Sotiris, what are your thoughts about Disney's "Hunchback"?
Actually, both Beauty and the Beast and Mary Poppins have been performed in Norway in recent years.

The Danish artwork looks so much better than the cover on the American cast recording!

I still belive that this production will find it's way to Broadway at some point. Perhaps with a few tweaks and maybe a additional couple of new songs even. Aladdin was performed in Denmark before the Broadway premiere (it might have been at a time when there were no plans for a Broadway production and Aladdin only was in it's early local tryouts with the cast that would eventually get the chance to perform in the show on Broadway, I can't recall for sure), and now Hunchback are having success being picked up abroad and it's getting a new production in the US. I think we will see it get it's time in the spotlight on Broadway someday... (when the World's wizer;)
Last edited by Prince Edward on Sun Jan 17, 2016 12:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Favorite Disney-movies: Snow White, Cinderella, Alice in Wonderland, Sleeping Beauty, The Little Mermaid, Beauty and the Beast, Aladdin, Pocahontas, The Hunchback of Notre Dame, Hercules, Mulan, Tarzan, Tangled, Frozen, Pirates, Enchanted, Prince of Persia, Tron, Oz The Great and Powerful
JeanGreyForever
Signature Collection

Post by JeanGreyForever »

In the meantime, Hunchback fans can at least take joy because apparently where will be a live-action Esmeralda film (non-Disney).

http://www.rotoscopers.com/2015/11/13/c ... alda-film/
ImageImage
We’re a dyad in the Force. Two that are one.
"I offered you my hand once. You wanted to take it." - Kylo Ren
"I did want to take your hand. Ben's hand." - Rey
Prince Edward
Anniversary Edition

Post by Prince Edward »

I wonder if this movie makes it more or less likely that we will get a live action Disney Hunchback movie at some point... Or if it does not have any influence on Disney's decision making regarding a potential Hunchback movie at all.

I am also curious to see if the new Little Mermaid live action movie that have recently been announced (not Disney, but every internet site seems to belive that it is or at least that the mermaid's name is Ariel) will influence Disney to make their own Little Mermaid movie soon, or if they will chose to wait in order for people to forget about the non-Disney live action movie.

One thing is certain: Disney live action versions of these classics would certainly get a larger audience due to the Disney brand, Disney's marketing power and people being familiar with the Disney version of the stories and the characters featured in the Disney movies.