The Little Mermaid Discussion

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
DC Fan
Anniversary Edition

Post by DC Fan »

My guess would be the third one.

The last one will be the Aladdin cover. Just that instead of Ariel´s head would be Genie, instead of Flounder and Sebastian Jasmine and Aladdin´s head on the spine.
Last edited by DC Fan on Tue Jan 31, 2012 7:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
estefan
Platinum Edition

Post by estefan »

I don't know if you did it on purpose, but I find it hilarious on the fourth cover that the infamous tower is emphasised.
"There are two wolves and they are always fighting. One is darkness and despair. The other is light and hope. Which wolf wins? Whichever one you feed." - Casey Newton, Tomorrowland
Atlantica
Signature Collection

Post by Atlantica »

I dont know why they dont reuse old over art, as they wouldnt even have to pay for artists to redraw or anything ?!
Disney Duster
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Post by Disney Duster »

^ Don't give them any ideas!!! Don't you like seeing new art of your favorite character?!?! But the reason they probably continue to make new covers (other than because they should make new art for any new anything!) is to give general consumers a cover that will appeal to their new generation, so it looks all shiny and new, and so that avid collectors have more incentive to buy the films for the umpteenth time.
tweeb²
Limited Issue

Post by tweeb² »

AAah! the second movie I ever saw on an actual cinema (my first one was Oliver & Co) and I've always remembered and enjoyed this one a lot more, specially when I discovered the songs in the English version about 3 or 4 years ago.

One of the things I remember the most, with the ending and Ursula being all huge and scary (I actually have recollections of being scared to death while watching the movie in front of the movie screen, and I was four or five years old!) is that weird little sound Triton's trident makes when it's "on", kinda like the lightsabers in Star Wars.

Also in this movie a non-villain character actually makes the. D..iest. move. in. the. whole. movie. period.

King Triton, in full rage blows all her daughter collection. Hell nowadays that should count as psychological child abuse or something like that!!

I'd like to share that little scene, not because a lot of you said the father/daughter discussion prior to that is pretty tense and still give the chills, but because of the sum of the parts, sound, color, animation, is a really well done, and terrifying, moment, to an extent that i think that when Mufassa has that discussion with Simba about the elephant graveyard incident there is almost no intensity at all because they where afraid to cross the line again like in this one.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k6n2aStmURQ
Atlantica
Signature Collection

Post by Atlantica »

Disney Duster wrote:^ Don't give them any ideas!!! Don't you like seeing new art of your favorite character?!?! But the reason they probably continue to make new covers (other than because they should make new art for any new anything!) is to give general consumers a cover that will appeal to their new generation, so it looks all shiny and new, and so that avid collectors have more incentive to buy the films for the umpteenth time.
Maybe I should have been more clear; Disney theatrical posters have been outstanding in Disney's long history. What I wonder is why they do not look to these when releasing their special editions ? France had breathtaking covers (namely BATB) which simply reused the teaser poster. Why don't Disney do that again ? Instead of the dull versions we do get, with generally off-model leads.
Sotiris

Re: The Little Mermaid Discussion

Post by Sotiris »

New Tokyo DisneySea commercial featuring original 2D animation of Ariel and co.
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
disneyprincess11
Diamond Edition

Post by disneyprincess11 »

Sotiris wrote:New Tokyo DisneySea commercial featuring original 2D animation of Ariel and co.
Is the voice of Sebastian okay? :o
WillytheDino
Gold Classic Collection

Post by WillytheDino »

disneyprincess11 wrote:
Sotiris wrote:New Tokyo DisneySea commercial featuring original 2D animation of Ariel and co.
Is the voice of Sebastian okay? :o
Something seems off about that animation. I don't know what exactly, but it does.
'All our dreams can come true, if we have the courage to pursue them.' - Walt Disney
nomad2010
Special Edition

Post by nomad2010 »

WillytheDino wrote:
disneyprincess11 wrote: Is the voice of Sebastian okay? :o
Something seems off about that animation. I don't know what exactly, but it does.
That's because it's in anime style. Check out Ariel's eyes in the last shot. Total anime style. I'm assuming it was done by a Japanese company.
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

nomad2010 wrote:That's because it's in anime style.
I wouldn't say it's in anime style but you can still tell it's an anime studio trying to emulate the Disney house style.
DisneyFan09
Platinum Edition

Post by DisneyFan09 »

It wasn't particularly pleased with that animation either. Ariel looked very off-model.
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

This GIF from the commercial is pretty, though.

Atlantica
Signature Collection

Post by Atlantica »

Aww I really liked it ! Was just lovely to have Mermiad characters freshly animated again, even if they are slightly in a different style.
unprincess
Collector's Edition

Post by unprincess »

I liked it, though honestly it didnt look all that different from the animation in LM3. But we 2d fans gotta take all the crumbs we can get, huh? :\
Disney's Divinity

Post by Disney's Divinity »

unprincess wrote:But we 2d fans gotta take all the crumbs we can get, huh? :\
Yes, it's either this or the off-model, hi-brite clipart for Disney Princess merchandise and re-release covers.
Listening to most often lately:
Ariana Grande ~ "we can't be friends (wait for your love)"
Ariana Grande ~ "imperfect for you"
Kacey Musgraves ~ "The Architect"
Matt
Anniversary Edition

Post by Matt »

I think it stinks that the digital copy is the correct way even Ariel's tail in the beginning is the correct color, but the 2D Blu-Ray, wasn't corrected. :(
Disney's Divinity

Post by Disney's Divinity »

What do you mean exactly? :? I can't view digital copies of films, but I thought her tail looked mostly correct on the Blu-Ray and DVD?
Listening to most often lately:
Ariana Grande ~ "we can't be friends (wait for your love)"
Ariana Grande ~ "imperfect for you"
Kacey Musgraves ~ "The Architect"
MeerkatKombat
Special Edition

Post by MeerkatKombat »

Disney's Divinity wrote:What do you mean exactly? :? I can't view digital copies of films, but I thought her tail looked mostly correct on the Blu-Ray and DVD?
If I have Matt correct, in the blu-ray version of the film (well definitely mine at least) Ariel's tail appears like a turquoise blue colour when she in exploring the ship wreck. I would say this colour It then reverts back to green later.
Maybe to other people it isn't as noticeable but it really stands out to me.
I do remember me and Matt discussing this on the Diamond edition thread just after release. I don't remember anyone else complaining though.

In my memory, her tail was not that colour in the Platinum edition or the limited issue DVD. It was the correct green. I did watch the limited issue DVD fairly recently.
Settling Soul mates? That is grim. And I've played Monopoly alone.
Matt
Anniversary Edition

Post by Matt »

MeerkatKombat wrote:
Disney's Divinity wrote:What do you mean exactly? :? I can't view digital copies of films, but I thought her tail looked mostly correct on the Blu-Ray and DVD?
If I have Matt correct, in the blu-ray version of the film (well definitely mine at least) Ariel's tail appears like a turquoise blue colour when she in exploring the ship wreck. I would say this colour It then reverts back to green later.
Maybe to other people it isn't as noticeable but it really stands out to me.
I do remember me and Matt discussing this on the Diamond edition thread just after release. I don't remember anyone else complaining though.

In my memory, her tail was not that colour in the Platinum edition or the limited issue DVD. It was the correct green. I did watch the limited issue DVD fairly recently.
Yes that's what I'm talking about lol. It still bothers me till this day! :x