Mulan (Live-Action)

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
disneyboy20022
Signature Collection

Mulan (Live-Action)

Post by disneyboy20022 »

Disney Announces Live-Action Mulan Remake
http://comicbook.com/2015/03/30/disney- ... an-remake/

Well that was unexpected. This making the animated films into live action films is getting a bit out of hand
Want to Hear How I met Roy E. Disney in 2003? Click the link Below

http://fromscreentotheme.com/ThursdayTr ... isney.aspx
Disneyphile
Special Edition

Re: Disney Announces Live-Action Mulan Remake

Post by Disneyphile »

It's only a matter of time before they announce the live-action remakes of Snow White, Pinocchio, The Little Mermaid, Aladdin, Tarzan, Tangled and Frozen.
disneyprincess11
Diamond Edition

Post by disneyprincess11 »

Is the live action department THIS lazy now? :roll: that they're remaking their own movies?

The only thing I want is a adaption of the Broadway version of Hunchback. This is getting ridiculous
Semaj
Anniversary Edition

Post by Semaj »

The only upside I see in this is if they remake The Black Cauldron.
"OH COME ON, REALLY?!?!"
Old Fish Tale
Anniversary Edition

Post by Old Fish Tale »

I'll say it again: this was the obvious next step. And I don't mind it as long as they make good films. Can anyone find the writers' pages at the Internet Movie Database? I can't...
Sotiris
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Post by Sotiris »

Are we sure this is not an early April Fool's joke? The timing sure is suspicious. In any case, I'm actually surprised they're going with Mulan next, since Disney has pretty much ignored the movie as well as the character. Of course, there were rumors from time to time about a live-action remake but nothing ever came out of it. Aladdin seemed the more obvious choice for the next remake in-line. I wonder if it will be a musical or if it'll be more serious in tone. I think it could work well either way.
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
Old Fish Tale
Anniversary Edition

Post by Old Fish Tale »

I think it's the right film to appease the feminists. And it's a wonderful story.
disneyboy20022
Signature Collection

Post by disneyboy20022 »

Sotiris wrote:Are we sure this is not an early April Fool's joke? The timing sure is suspicious. In any case, I'm actually surprised they're going with Mulan next, since Disney has pretty much ignored the movie as well as the character. Of course, there were rumors from time to time about a live-action remake but nothing ever came out of it. Aladdin seemed the more obvious choice for the next remake in-line. I wonder if it will be a musical or if it'll be more serious in tone. I think it could work well either way.
Nope not an April Fools Joke. It's been confirmed in The Hollywood reporter

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/d ... 3A49_rford
On the heels of the magical success of Disney's live-action Cinderella, the studio is eyeing another live-action retelling: Mulan.

Disney bought a script by writing team Elizabeth Martin and Lauren Hynek that centers on the Chinese legend of Hua Mulan, the female warrior who was the main character in Disney's 1998 animated film.

Chris Bender and J.C. Spink (We're the Millers) are producing the new project.
Though then again calling Mulan's last name Hua and the fact they are saying the movie is being produced by We're The Millers is odd. Perhaps this is an April's Fools Joke. But all the major news sources are reporting this is true so alas it probably is true.

DisneyJedi
Platinum Edition

Post by DisneyJedi »

Oh, come on! I'd be on board with it if Disney did a live-action retelling of The Hunchback of Notre Dame (with darker storyline, even if it had to axe a few or all of the songs), but why?

Mulan is my favorite non-princess, female-led animated movie and if they mess this up, I will raise holy hell.
Little Red Henski
Special Edition

Post by Little Red Henski »

Its been done before.
disneyboy20022
Signature Collection

Post by disneyboy20022 »

You Know Disney is making too many Live Action remakes of their animated films when SNL can do a skit that ties together The Rock as Bambi spoofing the latest Fast and The Furious movie. I thought about posting this as an April Fool's Joke but decided to not be that mean :wink:

Viewer Discretion is advised.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uFJz2IMUeDE

Disney's Divinity

Post by Disney's Divinity »

Personally, I would enjoy a live-action version of Mulan. I believe live-action remakes of Dumbo and TJB deserve the outcry, but not this one--personally.
Listening to most often lately:
Ariana Grande ~ "we can't be friends (wait for your love)"
Ariana Grande ~ "imperfect for you"
Kacey Musgraves ~ "The Architect"
Nala
Anniversary Edition

Post by Nala »

Disneyphile wrote:It's only a matter of time before they announce the live-action remakes of Snow White, Pinocchio, The Little Mermaid, Aladdin, Tarzan, Tangled and Frozen.
Snow White and Pinocchio have been done to live action by other companies. I have the Snow White live action in my DVD collection. I can actually see Tarzan, Tangled and Frozen being made to live action but I can't see Aladdin being made into live action.
My Growing DVD Collection!

http://www.invelos.com/DVDCollection.aspx/Pocahontas

Disneyland Trips: 09/87, 12/08

Walt Disney World Trips: 09/08, 12/09, 06/11, 09/14

Knott's Berry Farm: 09/87, 12/08
Old Fish Tale
Anniversary Edition

Post by Old Fish Tale »

Wasn't 'Pinocchio' in development too? With Robert Downey Jr. attached?
Vlad
Collector's Edition

Post by Vlad »

I read an article on Facebook about this :lol: :lol:

Who knows, if October's Jungle Book will be as good as Cinderella, maybe we'll see Snow White or Pinocchio next. :lol:
DisneyFan09
Platinum Edition

Post by DisneyFan09 »

To be honest, while I've never been a huge fan of "Mulan" (although I did have a huge obsession for Asian culture before it's release), I think the screenplay is one of the most solid and intelligent screenplays of the 90's. It's a screenplay with very little plotholes. So I don't see any need for improvement with a live action remake. I'll welcome it if it's good, but honestly, enough it enough. Not every Disney movie needs a live action remake.
Jules
Diamond Edition

Post by Jules »

Disney, you fools! Where's the Saludos Amigos live-action remake?
Miss Manday
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Miss Manday »

I'm personally A+okay with these live action remakes. It brings attention back to some of the animated stories that some of those in the new generation aren't familiar with. After seeing the live action, or in preparation/hype for seeing it, perhaps their parents show them the original. And thus, they get to see that original movie and get to experience loving those characters in their generation just like we did when the originals came out. And poor Mulan definitely needs some love.

Plus, I always like seeing these adaptations and twists. While I enjoyed Maleficent, I LOVED Cinderella. So hopefully we'll see the quality continue to improve as it has.
admin of Mouse Ears // find me on Moviepilot!
Image Image Image
unprincess
Collector's Edition

Post by unprincess »

so whats left:

Snow White: I thought they already did this one: Mirror Mirror?

Pinocchio: this one could work in the vein of the other fantasy/ft movies with strong female leads, especially if they tell it from the point of view of the Blue Fairy

Bambi/Lion King: I really hope they dont go there, but then again they are doing Dumbo & JB

Peter Pan: its only a matter of time

all the talking cat dog mouse films(L&T O&Co. F&H the Rescuers etc..) I coud see these being done as quick cheap CGI fests (think BV Chihuahua/Buddy/G-force movies), though they might try to take a bit more care with L&T considering how prestigious it is.

Little Mermaid-: also will happen eventually but its gonna be really costly/risky due to the water fx's

Aladdin: iffy b/c of the ethnicity/religion of the cast, but it could happen, especially since the play seems to be popular

Tarzan: maybe but not in a long time as there have been too many recent versions from other studios

Tangled /Frozen- too recent but will probably get made eventually, not for a while though

everything else is not popular enough or too recent to be made
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

unprincess wrote:so whats left:

Snow White: I thought they already did this one: Mirror Mirror?

Peter Pan: its only a matter of time
Um, Peter Pan was done back in like 2003 or 2004. If Snow White got two recent remakes, and Peter Pan got a recent remake, it doesn't make sense Peter Pan can get one but not Snow White.