Dumbo (Live-Action)

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
estefan
Platinum Edition

Re: Live Action "Dumbo" in the works

Post by estefan »

Disney's Divinity wrote:The way they use animals in these kinds of movies just never works. Either you have the animals act normal and either a character or the narrator tells you what they said, or they awkwardly try to sync vocals to their mouths and/or actions (or not, like Homeward Bound).
Yeah, that's what I'm thinking about this project. Will they usually fully CG elephants, mo-cap animals (like the new Planet of the Apes movies), will they go the Homeward Bound approach or put CG mouths on real animals? The latter doesn't work most of the time, but there do exist examples of the effect being very good, like in Babe, Stuart Little and Charlotte's Web.

They could also go the Life of Pi route and use a seamless combination of real animals and CG animals.
"There are two wolves and they are always fighting. One is darkness and despair. The other is light and hope. Which wolf wins? Whichever one you feed." - Casey Newton, Tomorrowland
Sotiris
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Post by Sotiris »

Tim Burton to Direct Live-Action ‘Dumbo’ for Disney (Exclusive)
http://blogs.wsj.com/speakeasy/2015/03/ ... -strategy/
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
disneyprincess11
Diamond Edition

Post by disneyprincess11 »

:facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm:

STOP IT, DISNEY
Tristy
Special Edition

Post by Tristy »

Sotiris wrote:Tim Burton to Direct Live-Action ‘Dumbo’ for Disney (Exclusive)
http://blogs.wsj.com/speakeasy/2015/03/ ... -strategy/
Disney, it's bad enough that you are just redoing every single one of your movies into live-action versions even going so far to be more remakes than adaptations, but you're also contributing to Tim Burton's decline. He just made Big Eyes which, while not really great, was a step back in the right direction for him and now you're just dragging him back to Planet of the Apes/ Charlie and the Chocolate Factory/ Alice in Wonderlandsville. Quit it! Go back to what you do best!
DisneyFan09
Platinum Edition

Post by DisneyFan09 »

No! Just no!
Disney's Divinity

Post by Disney's Divinity »

This is April Fools come early. Tim Burton and Dumbo in the same sentence... :lol: He would've made more sense for B&tB or even Cinderella than this. Dumbo has its dark moments, too, I guess.

You know, I'd probably be very excited for this if it was going to be stop-motion.
Listening to most often lately:
Ariana Grande ~ "we can't be friends (wait for your love)"
Ariana Grande ~ "imperfect for you"
Kacey Musgraves ~ "The Architect"
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

Disney's Divinity wrote:You know, I'd probably be very excited for this if it was going to be stop-motion.
Yeah, that would have been much more visually intriguing than just another CG/live-action hybrid.
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
Avaitor
Collector's Edition

Post by Avaitor »

Actually, if Burton could possibly have this made into a stop-motion/live-action hybrid, I would be down. I know that he's a Ray Harryhausen fan, so maybe he could pull it off.
Semaj
Anniversary Edition

Post by Semaj »

The guy already hit rock bottom when he mucked up Alice in Wonderland.

PLEASE keep him away from remakes!
"OH COME ON, REALLY?!?!"
disneyboy20022
Signature Collection

Post by disneyboy20022 »

Tim Burton's Pink Elephants on Parade is going to look not only like Dumbo is in a high Stuper from getting drunk, but suffering side effects at the same time of eating certain brownies and mushrooms
Want to Hear How I met Roy E. Disney in 2003? Click the link Below

http://fromscreentotheme.com/ThursdayTr ... isney.aspx
Mooky
Platinum Edition

Post by Mooky »

I guess Michael Eisner's dream of CG-fying DACs is coming true, albeit in form of CG/live-action hybrids. Either that, or someone at Disney is extremely bored and has a lot of cash to burn on idiotic projects.
estefan
Platinum Edition

Post by estefan »

Semaj wrote:The guy already hit rock bottom when he mucked up Alice in Wonderland.

He's only directed one remake and it was one of his most acclaimed works (I'm, of course, referring to Frankenweenie).

I understand people's minds will shift to the swirly trees and dark worlds, but Burton has the ability to do bright and colourful as well, as proven by Big Fish and Big Eyes. I imagine the tone and spirit of Burton's Dumbo will be closer to Big Fish rather than, say, Sweeney Todd.

And usually when Burton decides to direct a film adaptation of a book that's previously been filmed, he tends to ignore the earlier movie and go straight to the original source. If Charlie and the Chocolate Factory (and to a certain extent, Kenneth Branagh's Cinderella) is any indication, this is going to be a new adaptation of the original story rather than a remake of the animated feature.
"There are two wolves and they are always fighting. One is darkness and despair. The other is light and hope. Which wolf wins? Whichever one you feed." - Casey Newton, Tomorrowland
Disney's Divinity

estefan wrote:And usually when Burton decides to direct a film adaptation of a book that's previously been filmed, he tends to ignore the earlier movie and go straight to the original source. If Charlie and the Chocolate Factory (and to a certain extent, Kenneth Branagh's Cinderella) is any indication, this is going to be a new adaptation of the original story rather than a remake of the animated feature.
I expected as much. But it still sounds, like C&tCF ended up, awful.

Big Fish didn't have talking animals from what I remember. Personally, when I think of that film, "colorful" does not come to mind, although I know it wasn't black-and-white either.
estefan
Platinum Edition

Post by estefan »

I love Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, but I'm that rare breed of person who has always hated Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory, so Burton's adaptation just appealed to me a lot more and I was more fond of the things he kept and changed from the source material.

Big Fish (as well as Big Eyes) marked a departure from the gothic German Expressionist style that categorises a lot of Burton's other work. So he's shown he's able to do something different from what we expect from him.

I thought the talking animal effects in Alice in Wonderland were fantastic, so if he can bring in Sony ImageWorks to do the effects, we should see excellent work (they also did the effects for the Stuart Little movies, which were also first-rate in that department). Rhythm and Hues would also be a great choice for the animal effects. Their work on Babe and Charlotte's Web was top-notch. And Burton's designs for Frankenweenie and Family Dog show he can do cute and cuddly animals.
Prince Edward
Anniversary Edition

Post by Prince Edward »

Semaj wrote:The guy already hit rock bottom when he mucked up Alice in Wonderland.

I blame Linda Woolverton's awful scripts for the shitty storytelling in Alice in Wonderland and especially Maleficent. Maleficent was especially horrible. Live action Alice In Wonderland I had always envisioned like something unrelated to the original animated classic and something that could be enjoyed for what it was, but the way Disney's promotional efforts compared Maleficent to Sleeping Beauty actually made that movie's twist such a bigger disappointment.

I love Tim Burton, but I have no interest in Disney remaking their animated movies about animals. Dumbo and The Jungle Book? No thanks. They should make live action versions of movies like Snow White, Peter Pan, Sleeping Beauty (a movie true to the animated classic, like the new Cinderella movie seems to be), The Little Mermaid, Aladdin, Pocahontas, The Hunchback of Notre Dame, Hercules, Mulan. (And in due time, perhaps Tangled and Frozen.)
Favorite Disney-movies: Snow White, Cinderella, Alice in Wonderland, Sleeping Beauty, The Little Mermaid, Beauty and the Beast, Aladdin, Pocahontas, The Hunchback of Notre Dame, Hercules, Mulan, Tarzan, Tangled, Frozen, Pirates, Enchanted, Prince of Persia, Tron, Oz The Great and Powerful
Avaitor
Collector's Edition

Post by Avaitor »

estefan wrote:I love Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, but I'm that rare breed of person who has always hated Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory, so Burton's adaptation just appealed to me a lot more and I was more fond of the things he kept and changed from the source material.
Wow, I thought I was the only one!

Well, hate is a strong word, and Gene Wilder is definitely a better Wonka than Depp, but I've always found Burton's film to be better.
Nala
Anniversary Edition

Post by Nala »

Tristy wrote:There's this comment on Cartoonbrew:

"I kind of feel that if "Jungle Book" turns out to be a bomb this will be cancelled."

*Crosses fingers real tightly* Please! Oh please! Oh please! Oh please! Oh please!
Why are they remaking The Jungle Book live action when it has already been made into live action?
Last edited by Nala on Sun Mar 15, 2015 12:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
My Growing DVD Collection!

http://www.invelos.com/DVDCollection.aspx/Pocahontas

Disneyland Trips: 09/87, 12/08

Walt Disney World Trips: 09/08, 12/09, 06/11, 09/14

Knott's Berry Farm: 09/87, 12/08
Nala
Anniversary Edition

Post by Nala »

Lady Cluck wrote:So people are looking forward to live action Cinderella and Beauty and the Beast but for Dumbo and Jungle Book they want to burn Disney headquarters to the ground?

Typical princess bias :roll: And this is even after Maleficent turned out to be a steaming pile of shit.
Disney has already made a Jungle Book live action.
My Growing DVD Collection!

http://www.invelos.com/DVDCollection.aspx/Pocahontas

Disneyland Trips: 09/87, 12/08

Walt Disney World Trips: 09/08, 12/09, 06/11, 09/14

Knott's Berry Farm: 09/87, 12/08
estefan
Platinum Edition

Post by estefan »

After seeing Cinderella, I actually don't think these movies are necessarily live-action remakes of the animated films. Kenneth Branagh was allowed to do his own take of the fairy tale with little nods to the animated film sprinkled throughout (including character names). I don't think Branagh would have signed on to direct the movie if Disney just wanted him to do a recreation of the animated feature. The same probably applies to Jon Favreau and Tim Burton. I think Disney views these as more like companion pieces, rather than just wanting to redo the animated films in live-action form.
Disney's Divinity

I'm not a fan of either version of ... and the Chocolate Factory, tbh. I saw Burton's take with a group and it was one of the most embarrassing viewing experiences I've ever sat through. From Depp's performance to the musical numbers... There are no words. I felt like I was cringing 80% of the time.

Personally, I think this film would end up being a mess with or without Burton. I can't think of what he could do to make it not suck (other than the stop-motion thing I mentioned, which isn't going to happen). Maybe it'll look pretty?