Downton Abbey

Discussion of non-Disney entertainment.
Disney's Divinity
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Downton Abbey

Post by Disney's Divinity »

Has anybody been watching the first three seasons of this smash series like I have? :)

Honestly, it’s become my favorite show since Desperate Housewives left the air last Spring. Season 3 has just finished airing, and I thought it was nearly on par with the first season. The second season was my least favorite, but even that I enjoyed.

My favorite characters: Edith, Thomas, the Dowager Countess, Mrs. Hughes, Miss Patmore, O’Brien, Carson and Anna.

Shirley Maclaine’s guest star as the American grandmother of Mary, Edith, and Sibyl was my favorite part of this past season, tbh. I love her as an actress, and she gave a pretty good performance here. Seeing Thomas and O’Brien turn on one another was also entertaining (though I don’t know why Thomas would ever turn on O’Brien after knowing how far she will go to get her way! :lol: ). I hope Edith will find happiness, in some form, in future; although it was very heartbreaking for her to be left at the altar, her “Spinsters get up for breakfast” resolution was an interesting look at gender. Sibyl’s death midseason was very powerful, even though she was not one of my favorite characters. Edith and Mary had my favorite reaction to the death, by realizing that Sibyl was the only person who saw the best in both of them. Although I was not happy Ethel’s storyline continued over into this season, the scene in which Cora, the Dowager Countess, and the girls dine at Isobel’s home was one of the funniest (the Dowager Countess: “I suppose she has an appropriate outfit for every activity.” rotfl )And now that Bates is finally out of prison, we can get to see Anna do other things besides worry about letters she’s received in the mail. :lol:

Considering the ending of season 3 (Matthew’s death), I’m not sure where the show will be going from here. I’m glad Mary and Matthew have their heir, regardless. I don’t know what they have in store for the lower class characters (the best, imo), but I can’t wait to see season 4.

Your thoughts? Do you like/dislike the show? Have you ever seen the show at all? :)
Listening to most often lately:
Ariana Grande ~ "we can't be friends (wait for your love)"
Ariana Grande ~ "imperfect for you"
Kacey Musgraves ~ "The Architect"
Dr Frankenollie
In The Vaults

Post by Dr Frankenollie »

I watched the first series and have seen small clips of subsequent episodes. I hate it. It's nothing more than a mediocre soap opera pretending to be a sophisticated period drama, yet is regularly unmasked by the lazy writing cliches and predictable formulas it follows.
Old Fish Tale
Anniversary Edition

Post by Old Fish Tale »

Well, I really, really love it! It's definitely one of my favourite shows on television. I think the acting and the writing are wonderful and I can't wait for the next season!
Disney's Divinity

Dr Frankenollie wrote:It's nothing more than a mediocre soap opera pretending to be a sophisticated period drama, yet is regularly unmasked by the lazy writing cliches and predictable formulas it follows.
I always thought it was obvious that it was a soap opera. :lol: Some of the most popular shows today are at least part-soap opera. It's not as much a put-off as it could be to me, considering most novel adaptations from the 1800's, etc. are often melodramatic.

I agree, Old Fish Tale, the acting on the show is incredible, for the most part. Of course, the scenery is very beautiful as well.
Last edited by Disney's Divinity on Tue Feb 19, 2013 9:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
PixarFan2006
Signature Collection

Post by PixarFan2006 »

I cannot get into it either. My sister and mom like the show both like the show though. I guess it's not for everybody.
Old Fish Tale
Anniversary Edition

Post by Old Fish Tale »

Disney's Divinity wrote:I always thought it was obvious that it was a soap opera. Some of the most popular shows today are at least part-soap opera.
Yes, that's true. For example, 'The Borgias' and 'Homeland', which I also adore, fall in that category too.
PixarFan2006 wrote:I guess it's not for everybody.
Nothing is! And that's fine. Different people like different things.
Disney's Divinity

Re: Downton Abbey

I've loved the first two episodes of the new season! I was a little concerned because I didn't care for last season too much--it wasn't really "bad" per se, just boring, especially the Christmas episode. Thankfully, this season has picked up for me. I'm enjoying what they're doing with all the characters so far. Even Mary, who is always insufferable, has me interested. The only question mark right now is where they're going with the Bates'.
UmbrellaFish
Signature Collection

Post by UmbrellaFish »

I sorta just watch this out of habit nowadays. I never liked the addition of Lady Rose, totally superfluous. I'm not interested in Lady Mary's beaux. In fact, I think that plot is just plain boring. Thomas, who was initially interesting, just seems to constantly get caught red handed but through some luck is never fired... er, sacked. The rest of the downstairs are usually fun, especially Carson, although I sometimes tire of the enigmatic character of Mr. Bates.

That was a lot of negativity, but I do enjoy the show. I like Ms. Bunting and her interactions with Lord Grantham. I can never get too much of Maggie Smith and Penelope Wilton, especially together. And I feel bad for Lady Edith. Actually, this is one of those things about the writing that pisses me off... She always gets the short end of the stick. I want happiness for Lady Edith and poor little Marigold, damn it! And bring back Gregson! Tell me he's alive!

I think the show is winding down is a season or two, so I'm interested to see the house on the eve of WWII. And I'm very interested to see the show develop George and Sybbie's personalities. And I want a poignant ending, the Dowager Countess dying, representing the end of the old European aristocratic world (that the show keeps saying is changing, but the Crawleys seem much less affected than their peers and the calamities they face in the occasional offhand comment...).

Oh, and I still wouldn't mind a spinoff or limited series about Robert and Cora's courtship.
Disney's Divinity

I feel the same about Edith. I just hope whenever the show ends that she at least gets a happy ending far, far, far away from Mary's disgusting attitude. The parents don't act much better towards her.

But that may just be because Edith, Thomas, and Isobel-Violet are the parts of the show that keep me watching (although Carson, Hughes, and Patmore are fun at times). I'm hoping they do something with Thomas before the end, too, instead of evil hijinks. :P
Disney's Divinity

I got the 5th series in the mail and I have to say this season may be my favorite after the first, although I enjoyed the 2nd and 3rd seasons, too. I've heard season 6 is perhaps the last, and that seems likely to me considering all the echoes to season 2 present here, possibly to give the entire series a cyclical feeling. And, honestly, the characters are at a point where I can see myself enjoying a happy ending for them, which is surprising considering I felt apathetic last year.

I loved what they did with Edith this season; finally addressing the family has always acted towards her! Her reactions to the Dowager Countess about what's best for "the family" not being the same as what's best for her, plus the reaction to Mary's haircut, were highlights of the show for me. I'm imagining the final bit with Mary and Edith coming to some understanding will occur next season/the final season. On one other note, the dinner where Isobel met Meryton's sons cut me deep; I have a soft spot for Isobel, and that was hard to watch. Even though I've heard a lot of people groan about the Bates' storyline, I have to admit I was more interested in this than what happened in season 2, because I've always liked Anna more than Bates.
UmbrellaFish
Signature Collection

Post by UmbrellaFish »

So...

I liked the way they resolved the Marigold story line. I felt really bad for the Drews, though. Really bad. And actually, for the first time ever, Lady Rose had an interesting storyline with her Jewish boyfriend. I thought that was really fascinating to see the culture conflict play out, especially since Cora herself is half Jewish. Actually, I quite liked this season and I'm more looking forward to the next. Oh, well, I get bored with Anna and Bates drama, honestly. I don't care to see that get carried over into next season.
Old Fish Tale
Anniversary Edition

Post by Old Fish Tale »

The next season of 'Downton Abbey' will be its last! Click here. I'll miss it tremendously, but this is a very wise decision.
Disney's Divinity

UmbrellaFish wrote:I thought that was really fascinating to see the culture conflict play out, especially since Cora herself is half Jewish. Actually, I quite liked this season and I'm more looking forward to the next.
I agree, and this is really the only thing I'll miss with the show ending in the 6th season, before World War II. I wonder if the series might end right before the beginning of WWII. Although I'm expecting a happy ending for many of the characters, I have a feeling the whole thing will be a fairly bittersweet ending.

Tbh, the end was expected considering most of the actors' contracts were up at the end of season 6, and I'd rather the show end here rather than go through more departures and/or deaths. My only hopes are that Thomas will find love and that Edith will find some way to live suitably by herself with Marigold (and a love interest, although it isn't necessary). I worry that Violet or Robert may pass away in the last series.
Disney's Divinity

I got the final season Blu-Ray in the mail and finished it yesterday. I want to re-watch the final episodes, but I have to say I enjoyed it very much. ***SPOILERS***

I especially loved the resolution to Mary and Edith's relationship with one another. Edith's speech about how one day they'll be the only ones to remember Sybil, and their mother, father, grandmother, Carson, etc. seriously got me to bawling, tbh. (But getting me to cry is pretty easy.) I also liked how the show drew comparisons between Mary and Thomas, with how they both spew venom out at others because of their own unhappiness (Mary's line to Robert following Thomas' suicide attempt was particularly vile). So nice to get a little of Anna/Bates that isn't oh, so super tragic all the time again. Tom and Carson are the only characters that got on my nerves this last season. Tom's never been a favorite of mine, but I came to like him last season; his constant pushing of Mary about Henry rubbed me the wrong way.

I thought both Edith's and Mary's romances were nice, but rushed. My only real complaints are that Thomas didn't get a love interest while nearly everyone else is paired off--either explicitly or vaguely--and that Violet/Maggie Smith was absent for too much of the latter half of the season. I've read complaints about the hospital plot line, but I didn't mind it, personally. I liked how it was an unexpected intersection of characters like Merton, Cora, and Clarkson who don't usually interact with one another. It also gave a passing of the torch between Violet and Cora, and gave Cora more of an identity than that character's ever really had on this show. Too bad Shirley MacLaine couldn't have shown up.

I've heard rumblings about a film, which I definitely would be up for as a capper to the series--maybe to see the final loose ends tied for the characters who hadn't officially married, Edith having another child, and hopefully throw Thomas a bone (literally...? :P ).

If I had to rank the seasons, I'd put them as 1 > 6 = 5 > 3 > 2 > 4. 4 was the only season I didn't enjoy.
Disney's Divinity

Looks likely that a Downton movie is happening, most likely coming winter 2018.

No idea if it’ll directly follow the series or jump ahead in time (either a few months or years). It doesn’t sound like Maggie Smith will be involved. Which I expected, but I'd be happy if they went ahead with it anyway.

I’ve been listening to “Did I Make the Most of Loving You?” lately. It’s very beautiful.
Disney's Divinity

The movie is confirmed! :pink: They even got Maggie Smith back. I hope they finally--FINALLY--give Thomas a love interest and resolve Moseley and Baxter's romance. I'm sure Edith will have another child.
Disney's Divinity

I finally bought it on Blu-ray! The funny thing is they had a free HBO weekend the day after I got it in the mail and were showing it on there. :lol: I was, like, why couldn't that have happened months ago? But I wanted to own it anyway with the rest of the series. It had just come down to $12. I didn't want to pay higher because I used to buy new seasons of the show for $15-20 range, and that was a whole lot more content than one movie.

Anyway, I really loved it! The main cast picture on the main menu was so gorgeous! The series has always been beautiful, but there were definitely moments where it topped itself to me, particularly the ballroom scene. And even the long pan out from the Abbey at the end as Carson and Hughes are talking got me, too! As for the plot itself, it was better than I expected. Something about a royal visit to Downton Abbey seemed very outlandish to me, especially considering all the rumors that have surrounded Mary over the series for because of the Pamuk affair. I actually wish the movie had just been three hours. Most of the characters we didn't get enough of at all, imo. Only Violet, Tom, Daisy, and--surprisingly--Thomas seemed to get very much spotlight. Cora and Baxter in particular felt like they weren't even there most of the film, and everything else felt a little slapdash in its attempt to find something for everyone else to have a moment. And no Rosamund! No way she wouldn't have found a way to be there. :P I love Tom's and Thomas' love interests, although I wanted Tom to end up with Edith's assistant. :/ Finally--finally!--in Thomas' case. That storyline is truly a case of the "as soon as you stop looking for it, love'll just drop in your lap." :lol: That was so sweet. Thomas' story is the one that felt the most incomplete at the end of the series for me, so I'm happy we have this now to put a bow on it.

It's amazing to me how the series manages to top itself in its various "endings" that turn out not to be the end. Now there's likely going to be a second movie as well, since they say one is definitely happening in a few years because this one did shockingly well for them! If they could make it a neat three movies, that would be nice, but if it only ends up with two, that's fine. I just hope before it's really the end, we see Baxter and Moseley get married, and Violet pass. I'm not 100% sure Maggie Smith will come back next time. I think she only came back for this and for the series as long as it ran for the other actors' sakes, since Fellowes has hinted he wouldn't do it if they couldn't get her back. That does make sense to me in a way, since Isobel and Violet's relationship and Violet in general is a big part of what makes this show what it is. I'd like the very end to have the old generation pass and Mary-Edith takeover their mantles in a sense. The same way I always though the Bates' would takeover for Hughes and Carson in the end. Perhaps Thomas will run off with his love interest in the next movie and that will happen after all?
UmbrellaFish
Signature Collection

Post by UmbrellaFish »

A couple stray thoughts...

I watched this in the theater last summer and an older couple sat in my row. The first time Maggie Smith made a quip the husband said very loudly, “Ooo, zinger!” and I was worried they’d talk through it all but that was the only time they said anything. Kinda cute to imagine them doing that at home when they watched the show.

Watching Thomas Barrow in the gay club, I realized this was the first movie I ever saw in the theater with gay themes/characters. I didn’t go into it thinking about that (which is funny bc tbh I totally read the spoilers before going in) but it felt really nice when I realized this in the movie theater.

Based on the trailer (before I read the spoilers), I knew they’d write out Carson’s tremor and I don’t mind that they did.

Speaking of the trailer, the first time I watched it I thought it was so funny that obviously the main conflict of this movie was going to be the giving of a very fancy dinner party. Which I thought was so silly, but perfectly “Downton.”

It felt like an interminable wait between the series finale and the movie, but I guess it was only 3-4 years? It just seemed so inevitable I didn’t know why there was so much posturing around it.

Me, I’m ready for a time jump— I’m ready to see Downton in WWII but I’m not sure if Fellowes is at all interested in that story. (But even if he isn’t, I guarantee some TV exec will be interested in 10-20 years and I’ll get my wish!)
Disney's Divinity

UmbrellaFish wrote: It felt like an interminable wait between the series finale and the movie, but I guess it was only 3-4 years? It just seemed so inevitable I didn’t know why there was so much posturing around it.
Yes, it did... I hope there will be another film in the end. :(
Me, I’m ready for a time jump— I’m ready to see Downton in WWII but I’m not sure if Fellowes is at all interested in that story. (But even if he isn’t, I guarantee some TV exec will be interested in 10-20 years and I’ll get my wish!)
I would have liked to have seen it, too, but at the same time I understand why it's never happened... One, because every Downton ending comes with a bittersweet, tragic feeling not just for the fact that their way of life really is gone, but also for what we know is coming right around the corner for the characters. Two, Fellowes already explored war once on the show and I'm guessing he might find it uninteresting to think of doing it again, especially not in the last season or a (final) movie ending.