Big Hero 6

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
Avaitor
Collector's Edition

Re: Big Hero 6

Post by Avaitor »

I've never actually picked up a Disney Steelbook before, but I really dig that design. This might have to be my first.
disneyboy20022
Signature Collection

Post by disneyboy20022 »

Wal-mart will be having an exclusive bonus disc

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Big-Hero-6-Bl ... 10&veh=aff

Source: http://www.stitchkingdom.com/disney-big ... art-74062/

Right now for me it's a toss up between Target's Steelbook case or Wal-Mart and their bonus disc. I do really like bonus disc so I'm leaning more toward Wal-Mart's at the moment. It depends on what Best Buy's exclusive. I do know I'll be canceling my pre-order of Big Hero 6 with Disney Movie Club
Want to Hear How I met Roy E. Disney in 2003? Click the link Below

http://fromscreentotheme.com/ThursdayTr ... isney.aspx
Lady Cluck
Anniversary Edition

Post by Lady Cluck »

disneyprincess11 wrote:Well, guys: Big Hero 6 is making only 272 million, barely more than PATF. Hopefully, this teaches Disney that movies don't fail because there 2D and this will have Disney re-think about canceling 2D.
$428.3 million now and still going strong internationally (#1 in Japan for the third week in a row). Talk about jumping the gun!
LADY Image CLUCK
Sorcerer Mickey
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Sorcerer Mickey »

So, Big Hero 6 will actually open in China on February 28. Not only that, but it will also be shown in IMAX 3D in some theaters, which might provide a boost for its box office performance.
Formerly known as Musketeer2004

The 1,000th Ultimate Disney member.
Disney's Divinity
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Post by Disney's Divinity »

It hasn't done much better than Tangled or WIR though (less so than Tangled at the moment, but it'll most likely catch it). Comparing it to TP&TF rather than the two of them is a bit unfair anyway. BH6 is following Frozen, which made Disney animation more relevant than it has been in ages; TP&TF followed the mostly ****fest that was 2000's Disney.

Regardless of what business it's doing, it seems to be completely flying under the radar for whatever reason.
Listening to most often lately:
Ariana Grande ~ "we can't be friends (wait for your love)"
Ariana Grande ~ "imperfect for you"
Kacey Musgraves ~ "The Architect"
DisneyEra
Anniversary Edition

Post by DisneyEra »

Disney's Divinity wrote:It hasn't done much better than Tangled or WIR though (less so than Tangled at the moment, but it'll most likely catch it). Comparing it to TP&TF rather than the two of them is a bit unfair anyway. BH6 is following Frozen, which made Disney animation more relevant than it has been in ages; TP&TF followed the mostly ****fest that was 2000's Disney.

Regardless of what business it's doing, it seems to be completely flying under the radar for whatever reason.
BH6 has already flew passed Tanged & WiR at the domestic Box Office. $216 million & counting. By the end of this month it will pass the original How to train your Dragon's $217.5 million & will then pass the domestic totals of Aladdin & Beauty & the Beast $218.9 million. The only other WDAS films to do that are The Lion King & Frozen. BH6's should end it's domestic run around Pixar's Wall E, $223+million.

As for BH6 in the international market, from Deadline Hollywood:

Japan keeps flocking to San Fransokyo with Big Hero 6 maintaining the No. 1 slot there for a 3rd consecutive frame that dropped only 25% from last weekend. The No. 1 Western release in Japan for five weeks, it’s earned $51.6M there. In total this frame, which is the Oscar nominee’s 13th internationally, Big Hero 6 added $7.2M. That’s good for an overseas cume of $212.2M from 58 territories which rep roughly 61% of the international marketplace. The global cume is $428.3M with such key markets as Korea, Germany, the UK, France and China still to come.

If it breaks out in China & South Korea "which seems likely given it's performance in Japan" it should surpass the $619 million of How to train your Dragon 2 & become the highest grossing animated feature of 2014 :D
Lady Cluck
Anniversary Edition

Post by Lady Cluck »

Yep, it still has yet to open in some major markets. People are so eager to declare this film a financial disappointment...it's the opposite rotfl

Disney was NOT expecting it to be a Frozen-like once in a generation pop culture phenomenon, which definitely benefits from music, merchandise, etc. I am curious to see how the next princess musical performs.
LADY Image CLUCK
Disney's Divinity

DisneyEra wrote:BH6 has already flew passed Tanged & WiR at the domestic Box Office. $216 million & counting. By the end of this month it will pass the original How to train your Dragon's $217.5 million & will then pass the domestic totals of Aladdin & Beauty & the Beast $218.9 million. The only other WDAS films to do that are The Lion King & Frozen. BH6's should end it's domestic run around Pixar's Wall E, $223+million.
"Flew" isn't the word I'd used--it's only 15 million above Tangled--but okay. But I was discussion worldwide gross like Lady Cluck.

As for it selling more than all other Disney films--I'm sure the newest Disney film in 2035 that is a moderate success will blow out Frozen's numbers since nobody wants to take inflation into account.
DisneyEra
Anniversary Edition

Post by DisneyEra »

Disney's Divinity wrote:
DisneyEra wrote:BH6 has already flew passed Tanged & WiR at the domestic Box Office. $216 million & counting. By the end of this month it will pass the original How to train your Dragon's $217.5 million & will then pass the domestic totals of Aladdin & Beauty & the Beast $218.9 million. The only other WDAS films to do that are The Lion King & Frozen. BH6's should end it's domestic run around Pixar's Wall E, $223+million.
"Flew" isn't the word I'd used--it's only 15 million above Tangled--but okay. But I was discussion worldwide gross like Lady Cluck.

As for it selling more than all other Disney films--I'm sure the newest Disney film in 2035 that is a moderate success will blow out Frozen's numbers since nobody wants to take inflation into account.
That's true about inflation, but times/technology have changed. BH6 is still making money in theaters regardless that there are numerous bootlegs/screens floating all over the Internet on Torrent sites & what not. There were Russian bootlegs of BH6 on the net even before it's November 7th US release. This is something Aladdin/Beauty & the Beast didn't have to worry about. Back then you either payed to see these features in theaters or waited months til it's home video release. Also today feature animation is fiercely more competitive. BH6 is in direct competition with The Lego Movie & HttyD 2. Was there another animated feature back in 1991 & 1992 that could compete with Beauty & the Beast & Aladdin?
ImageImage
I didn't think so.
Last edited by DisneyEra on Mon Jan 19, 2015 1:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
Lady Cluck
Anniversary Edition

Post by Lady Cluck »

Yeah, even beyond bootlegs, a lot of parents now avoid the theaters and wait for streaming services/dvd/bluray considering they view animated movies as a babysitter. There were home videos in the 90s too, but not quite the same amount of options as now. They don't have to wait long anymore either because a movie's theater life cycle is only 2-3 months long (IF it's a success) just because of how many movies are made throughout the year. That plus the competition factor make inflation a bit of a wash.

A hit's a hit, differences in the time period aside. Something becoming a genuine pop culture phenomenon is actually more impressive these days considering how fragmented and niche media has become. I don't know ANYONE who doesn't know something about Frozen and most of my friends, family, and servants couldn't care less about Disney. I seriously will be impressed if Disney has something on Frozen's level within ten years. It was THAT much of an achievement.
LADY Image CLUCK
Disney's Divinity

Lady Cluck wrote:That plus the competition factor make inflation a bit of a wash.
I guess we'll just have to agree to disagree. I understand why studios ignore inflation because it creates positive headlines and catchphrases which boost their image. But I'm not a PR agent so I personally do think inflation is important. Their past couple of films haven't done better than all previous ones, to me that's just a ridiculous statement that's being peddled around.
Jules
Diamond Edition

Post by Jules »

Lady Cluck wrote:... and most of my friends, family, and servants couldn't care less about Disney.
You have ... servants?

I shudder to think of the abuse they must suffer at your hands. Are you at least a duchess, or something? :P
Lady Cluck
Anniversary Edition

Post by Lady Cluck »

I don't think inflation isn't a factor at all, but you can't ignore the other side either. Just like DVR/VOD and increased competition have affected TV ratings and the Internet has affected album sales, the same is true with movie attendance. The movie industry isn't in a bubble. And movies didn't disappear from theaters as quickly back in the day so that alone is more opportunity for word of mouth to spread and make money, especially if they were showered with awards.

But with something like Frozen in particular, it's pretty clear it reached a popularity threshold that's on the same level of Disney all time biggest hits -the massive box office, the merchandise, the album sales, the infiltration of every level of pop culture. That's MUCH harder to achieve nowadays and it certainly can't be replicated every single year. Something being a big hit following a groundbreaking massive hit doesn't make it a disappointment.

LOL I'm very friendly with my servants! I only have a few.
LADY Image CLUCK
DisneyEra
Anniversary Edition

Post by DisneyEra »

Screen pic of the pirated screener copy of BH6 floating around the web. Why pay to see this in theaters when you can download it for free :down:
disneyboy20022
Signature Collection

Post by disneyboy20022 »

Looks like Best Buy's Exclusive is a Lenticular slipcover. I'm for sure skipping that out. I'd rather either get Wal-Mart's bonus disc or Target's steelbook

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/big-hero-6- ... Id=1732155

Want to Hear How I met Roy E. Disney in 2003? Click the link Below

http://fromscreentotheme.com/ThursdayTr ... isney.aspx
DisneyEra
Anniversary Edition

Post by DisneyEra »

Big Hero 6 added $14.9 million from 33 markets this weekend. That includes a strong $5.1 million opening in South Korea—second all-time for Disney/Pixar behind Frozen—and a solid $3.9 million in Germany. It has earned $238.6 million so far, and is scheduled to expand in to France and China next month. It opens in the UK on January 30.

Needs $164 million to pass HttyD 2's worldwide gross 8)
Lady Cluck
Anniversary Edition

Post by Lady Cluck »

Will it get there? At least it'll definitely pass The Lego Movie's worldwide total very soon :)
LADY Image CLUCK
disneyprincess11
Diamond Edition

Post by disneyprincess11 »

Surprise, surprise, there may be a sequel to Big Hero 6
Our full interview with Conli is here, and Big Hero 6 is now in cinemas. Rumours of a sequel to that one have started already...

Read more: http://www.denofgeek.com/movies/tangled ... z3QPW7qiYg
dvdjunkie
Signature Collection

Post by dvdjunkie »

Big Hero 6 makes its debut on Blu-ray/DVD on February 24, and for those of you who are Vudu/UltraViolet members, you can get the HD release beginning on Tuesday, February 3.

I am excited for this release and glad that they didn't make us wait to long for it. BH6 was a good family movie, and as a family we saw it in the theater twice. The grandkids are excited that "pa-pa" will have it in his collection in three more days. And also I will get the DMR reward points sooner.

As a subscriber to Netflix and Vudu, I feel that I am getting the best of both worlds when it comes to new releases. Netflix is penalized for up to eight weeks before they get new titles, while Vudu gets them, sometimes, while they are still in theaters.
The only way to watch movies - Original Aspect Ratio!!!!
I LOVE my Blu-Ray Disc Player!
dvdjunkie
Signature Collection

Post by dvdjunkie »

The Theory of Everything and Birdman were Also released on Vudu on February 3. I really am liking Vudu because they get the top movies, sometimes while they are still in theaters. So along with Big Hero 6, I picked up these two films for $14.99 each. The biggest surprise was that BH6 came with all 7 of the Bonus extras that you get when you buy the Blu-ray!

Also got my notice from Disney Movies Anywhere that I have had my DMR points added to my total, for my puchase BH5.
The only way to watch movies - Original Aspect Ratio!!!!
I LOVE my Blu-Ray Disc Player!