Big Hero 6

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
blackcauldron85
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Re: Big Hero 6

Post by blackcauldron85 »

DisneyFan09 wrote:
It's remarkable what a human character Hiro was, that he wanted to avenge Tadashi and hated the villain for Tadashi's death. And frankly, it was unfair that the villain got his daughter back, while Hiro didn't get Tadashi back
I was partially hoping that at the end, Tadashi would come back; obviously that would have given major warm fizzles... Him absolutely being dead was very real, though, sobering. Like how life often happens. Very bittersweet ending, that BH6!
Matt
Anniversary Edition

Post by Matt »

I haven't been posting in a while. Hope everyone is doing well! :wave:

And I simply LOVED this movie! The heart, the emotion, the action, the adventure, it was amazing to me! I saw it twice. I even loved the short before the film lol. I saw this movie twice and I would see it for a third time, but I'll just wait for the blu-ray so I can watch it whenever. So I say it's a must see! :) :up:
disneyprincess11
Diamond Edition

Post by disneyprincess11 »

BH6 has been nominated for a Golden Globe!
Best Animated Motion Picture

Big Hero 6
The Book of Life
The Boxtrolls
The Lego Movie
How to Train Your Dragon 2
blackcauldron85

disneyprincess11
Diamond Edition

Well, guys: Big Hero 6 is making only 272 million, barely more than PATF. Hopefully, this teaches Disney that movies don't fail because there 2D and this will have Disney re-think about canceling 2D.
Sorcerer Mickey
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Sorcerer Mickey »

disneyprincess11 wrote:Well, guys: Big Hero 6 is making only 272 million, barely more than PATF. Hopefully, this teaches Disney that movies don't fail because there 2D and this will have Disney re-think about canceling 2D.
It has still yet to open in such countries as Brazil (December 25), Australia (December 26), Germany (January 22), South Korea (January 22), UK (January 30), France (February 11), and China (March 1). And those remaining dates are not even half of what I've just listed.

In other words, still far from over in terms of the international box office.
Formerly known as Musketeer2004

The 1,000th Ultimate Disney member.
Disney's Divinity

Post by Disney's Divinity »

Looking at its domestic total on boxofficemojo, it has made close to double what TP&TF made, but its budget is also $70 million higher than TP&TF, too. Looks like Frozen was a phenomenon, since all three of BH6, WIR, and Tangled are around the same intake.
Listening to most often lately:
Ariana Grande ~ "we can't be friends (wait for your love)"
Ariana Grande ~ "imperfect for you"
Kacey Musgraves ~ "The Architect"
Lady Cluck
Anniversary Edition

Post by Lady Cluck »

disneyprincess11 always tries to jump the gun on these news stories. Big Hero 6 has made more domestically than Wreck-It Ralph and Tangled at this point in their runs, and already passed Wreck-It Ralph's total.
LADY Image CLUCK
Avaitor
Collector's Edition

Post by Avaitor »

Not to mention that Tangled cost what, $260 million to Big Hero 6's $165 M.
blackcauldron85

Japan Box Office: ‘Big Hero 6’ Opens Strongly, In Second Place
http://variety.com/2014/film/news/japan ... 201385151/
Lady Cluck
Anniversary Edition

Post by Lady Cluck »

Big Hero 6 is 1-2 days away from passing the $200 million mark and Tangled's domestic total!!!!! :dance:
LADY Image CLUCK
DisneyEra
Anniversary Edition

Post by DisneyEra »

Lady Cluck wrote:Big Hero 6 is 1-2 days away from passing the $200 million mark and Tangled's domestic total!!!!! :dance:
And this is a big milestone for BH6! It will be only the 6 WDAS feature to pass $200mil+ domestic post The Little Mermaid joining Frozen/The Lion King/Aladdin/Beauty & the Beast" after 2 rereleases in Imax & 3D" and Tangled :up: So much for the "Pocahontas letdown" after Frozen 8)
jazzflower92
Anniversary Edition

Post by jazzflower92 »

DisneyEra wrote:
Lady Cluck wrote:Big Hero 6 is 1-2 days away from passing the $200 million mark and Tangled's domestic total!!!!! :dance:
And this is a big milestone for BH6! It will be only the 6 WDAS feature to pass $200mil+ domestic post The Little Mermaid joining Frozen/The Lion King/Aladdin/Beauty & the Beast" after 2 rereleases in Imax & 3D" and Tangled :up: So much for the "Pocahontas letdown" after Frozen 8)
We should call it the anti-Pocahontas because it averted sharing the same fate.
disneyprincess11
Diamond Edition

Awesome!
Disney's Divinity

Post by Disney's Divinity »

I'm not saying it's unsuccessful, since it's about as successful as the other non-Frozen films, but the gross really does not look that much different than Tangled or WIR. Still half of Frozen's numbers. Pocahontas wasn't that unsuccessful either, but Disney still saw it that way compared to TLK since it was half TLK's domestic intake. Pocahontas only made 50,000 less domestically than they BH6's current gross actually, and that's not accounting for how much prices have changed the past 20 years.
Listening to most often lately:
Ariana Grande ~ "we can't be friends (wait for your love)"
Ariana Grande ~ "imperfect for you"
Kacey Musgraves ~ "The Architect"
Semaj
Anniversary Edition

Post by Semaj »

It would be very foolish for them to write Big Hero 6 off as a flop.

This is considering how $200 million domestic is in the neighborhood of an average Pixar performance, and how Disney has recently been doing better than in the past decade and a half, where their films often struggled to reach the $100 million domestic mark.
"OH COME ON, REALLY?!?!"
Lady Cluck
Anniversary Edition

Post by Lady Cluck »

Disney recognizes Frozen as this generation's biggest hit, hence milking it for all its worth. I don't think they expect to match it, though they certainly will, and should, try.

In my mind, Pocahontas's biggest fault is the dip in quality anyway, and Big Hero 6 is anything but that. Comparing the modern Disney musicals to things like Wreck-It Ralph/Big Hero 6 is comparing apples and oranges anyway. I think Big Hero 6 was much better than Wreck-It Ralph, and I hope Moana can be better than Frozen (which was MILES better than Tangled). I'm glad the numbers reflect that.
LADY Image CLUCK
DisneyEra
Anniversary Edition

Post by DisneyEra »

Disney's Divinity wrote:I'm not saying it's unsuccessful, since it's about as successful as the other non-Frozen films, but the gross really does not look that much different than Tangled or WIR. Still half of Frozen's numbers. Pocahontas wasn't that unsuccessful either, but Disney still saw it that way compared to TLK since it was half TLK's domestic intake. Pocahontas only made 50,000 less domestically than they BH6's current gross actually, and that's not accounting for how much prices have changed the past 20 years.
According to Box Office Mojo it took Tangled 25 weeks in domestic release before it hit the $200 million mark. While WiR grossed just under $190 million in it's entire 26 week domestic run. BH6 has hit $200 million in only 8 weeks of domestic release. Lets see where BH6 domestic gross is in another 17-18 weeks. Even though it will be out on DVD/Blu Ray in 8 weeks.

As for Pocahontas, according to Box Office Mojo it made $346 million worldwide in 1995. The highest grossing film in the world in 1995 was.....Die Hard: With A Vengeance, which grossed $366 million. So Disney thinks Pocahontas was a disappointment even though it was just $20 million off of being the top grossing film worldwide of 1995.
estefan
Platinum Edition

Post by estefan »

Yeah, I don't think it's fair to compare Frozen's grosses with Big Hero 6's. BH6 is definitely successful and has done very well and Disney is probably very proud of it and its box-office performance. Frozen was the kind of movie that came out at the right time that managed to touch a cultural nerve with the populace and become a monster success. The success of Frozen is actually pretty unique in today's landscape.
"There are two wolves and they are always fighting. One is darkness and despair. The other is light and hope. Which wolf wins? Whichever one you feed." - Casey Newton, Tomorrowland
Walter
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Walter »

DisneyEra wrote: As for Pocahontas, according to Box Office Mojo it made $346 million worldwide in 1995. The highest grossing film in the world in 1995 was.....Die Hard: With A Vengeance, which grossed $366 million. So Disney thinks Pocahontas was a disappointment even though it was just $20 million off of being the top grossing film worldwide of 1995.
Yeah, it even outgrossed "Batman Forever", which I thought, was pretty remarkable, considering how big the Batman film franchise was back then. But I guess Disney thought, "That is good! But not good enough", as they cannot accept the fact that what goes up, must come down.