Disney Returns to TCM in December 2014

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
carolinakid
Anniversary Edition

Disney Returns to TCM in December 2014

Post by carolinakid »

Just got my copy of TCM Now Playing for December 2014 and on Sunday December 21 there will be an evening of Treasures from the Disney Vault.

This is the lineup:

8pm: Santa's Workshop (1932)/On Ice (1935)/Chip an' Dale (1947)
8:30pm: The Disneyland Story (1954)/The Reluctant Dragon (1941)
11:00pm: Davy Crockett, King of the Wild Frontier (1955)
12:45am: The Vanishing Prairie (1954)
2am: Third Man on the Mountain (1959)
4am: Perilous Assignment (1959)

Get your DVRs ready for this night of classic Disney animation, films and television episodes.
I hope this means that Disney is giving Turner Classic Movies access to its library again and we'll see many more evenings such as this in 2015!
Semaj
Anniversary Edition

Re: Disney Returns to TCM in December 2014

Post by Semaj »

News to me! Disney NEVER lets a non-Disney network air their cartoons.
"OH COME ON, REALLY?!?!"
Mickeyfan1990
Collector's Edition

Post by Mickeyfan1990 »

Cool!!!
Avaitor
Collector's Edition

Post by Avaitor »

Whoa!
Kyle
Platinum Edition

Post by Kyle »

Semaj wrote:News to me! Disney NEVER lets a non-Disney network air their cartoons.
Are any of these even animated?
Mickeyfan1990
Collector's Edition

Post by Mickeyfan1990 »

Kyle wrote:
Semaj wrote:News to me! Disney NEVER lets a non-Disney network air their cartoons.
Are any of these even animated?
8-11pm. Look on top.
carolinakid
Anniversary Edition

Post by carolinakid »

The first three are animated shorts (Silly Symphony, Mickey Mouse and Donald Duck/Chip and Dale).
The Reluctant Dragon has animated portions.
Last edited by carolinakid on Wed Nov 26, 2014 11:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
Disneyphile
Special Edition

Post by Disneyphile »

Apparently, there was more to this deal than first revealed. TCM will be remaking the WDW Great Movie Ride, and TCM will air a Disney block about four or five times a year.
Lady Cluck
Anniversary Edition

Post by Lady Cluck »

In the other part of the deal, another Disney division, Walt Disney Studios, will provide TCM with vintage movies, cartoons, documentaries and episodes of TV series like “Disneyland” and “Walt Disney’s Wonderful World of Color” for a periodic programming block on the channel under the banner of “Treasures From the Disney Vault.”
I remember when things like that aired on Disney Channel late at night :| At least they're coming back!
LADY Image CLUCK
merlinjones
Anniversary Edition

Post by merlinjones »

Best news for Walt's library in quite some time (I hope they eventually distribute physical media too):

http://www.tcm.com/this-month/movie-new ... os-Team-Up

>>...As part of the relationship with The Walt Disney Studios, TCM will launch Treasures from the Disney Vault, a recurring on-air showcase that will include such live-action Disney features as Treasure Island (1950), Darby O'Gill and the Little People (1959) and Pollyanna (1960); animated films like The Three Caballeros (1944) and The Adventures of Ichabod and Mr. Toad (1949); classic nature documentaries, including The Living Desert (1953) and The African Lion (1955); made-for-television classics, such as the Davy Crockett series; special episodes from Walt Disney's Wonderful World of Color; documentaries about the studio, including Walt & El Grupo (2009) and Waking Sleeping Beauty (2010); and animated shorts, such as 1932's Oscar®-winning "Flowers and Trees."

Treasures from the Disney Vault is scheduled to premiere on TCM Sunday, Dec. 21 at 8 p.m. The opening night will include the holiday and winter animated shorts "Santa's Workshop," "On Ice" and "Chip An' Dale," followed by The Disneyland Story. The night will also include The Reluctant Dragon, Disney's 1941 film that combined a live-action tour of the Walt Disney Studios facility with animated shorts; Davy Crockett, King of the Wild Frontier (1955), a compilation of the first three episodes of the iconic series starring Fess Parker; the Oscar®-winning documentary The Vanishing Prairie (1954), part of Disney's True Life Adventure series; the rarely seen Third Man on the Mountain (1959), an Alpine tale starring Michael Rennie and James MacArthur; and Perilous Assignment (1959), a documentary about the making of Third Man on the Mountain.

"At TCM, it's our mission to share and celebrate the greatest films of all time," said Jennifer Dorian, general manager of TCM. "Disney provides the perfect relationship through which we can share the magic of the movies with every generation, not only through an amazing new showcase on TCM, but also through newly refreshed components of 'The Great Movie Ride' Attraction."…<<
Mickeyfan1990
Collector's Edition

Post by Mickeyfan1990 »

merlinjones wrote:Best news for Walt's library in quite some time (I hope they eventually distribute physical media too)
Maybe for a certain 1946 movie some have been eyeing for a very long time. ;)
Semaj
Anniversary Edition

Post by Semaj »

This is very unusual for Disney. They could've just launched their own archive channel, which is sorta what The Disney Channel used to be.
"OH COME ON, REALLY?!?!"
merlinjones
Anniversary Edition

Post by merlinjones »

It would be nice if Zorro and The Mickey Mouse Club (syndicated version) would find their way to Me-TV or Antenna TV as well.
carolinakid
Anniversary Edition

Post by carolinakid »

I hope they show Make Mine Music (1946) and Melody Time (1948) without the PC Disney cuts. Imagine if they restore Sunflower to Fantasia (1940)!
ajmrowland
Signature Collection

Post by ajmrowland »

Nice.
estefan
Platinum Edition

Post by estefan »

carolinakid wrote:I hope they show Make Mine Music (1946) and Melody Time (1948) without the PC Disney cuts. Imagine if they restore Sunflower to Fantasia (1940)!
TCM says they show their movies uncut. I guess if Disney had no problem including the original version of "Saludos Amigos" on the Walt & El Grupo DVD, they would allow those movies unedited on a channel dedicated solely to cinephiles.
"There are two wolves and they are always fighting. One is darkness and despair. The other is light and hope. Which wolf wins? Whichever one you feed." - Casey Newton, Tomorrowland
PatrickvD
Signature Collection

Post by PatrickvD »

Can we please stop pretending that Goofy smoking a cigarette warrants the same kind of censorship as the horrifying abomination known as Sunflower? These are two different things. Sunflower was removed from the film during Walt Disney's lifetime. It should remain like this.
carolinakid
Anniversary Edition

Post by carolinakid »

Sorry, I disagree. I don't like censorship for whatever reason. Racial insensitivity was/is an aspect of many films. Why try to hide the past? TCM is about movie history. You can find Sunflower on youtube. And who should decide what should be censored or not? Should we cut out the Indians from Peter Pan? Si and Am from Lady and the Tramp? The crows from Dumbo? The dwarfs from Snow White? (Don't want to offend little people!) Stromboli from Pinocchio? (Italians). The song Arabian Nights from Aladdin? (Wait, they did that already!) It gets ridiculous the more PC one tries to become. Just my opinion...
Avaitor
Collector's Edition

Post by Avaitor »

Sunflower was only a brief side character with mere seconds of non-speaking material. She's far easier to cut out and leave the film as intended, unlike many of your other examples.
Escapay
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Post by Escapay »

Semaj wrote:This is very unusual for Disney. They could've just launched their own archive channel, which is sorta what The Disney Channel used to be.
The optimist in me sees this programming block as a potential testing ground for such a channel.

The realist knows this is probably the only way we'll see Walt-era content on television ever again.

And the cynic expects it will be short-lived.

On the plus side, I'll be excited for the new Robert Osborne introduction/conclusion at Great Movie Ride. Now my favorite attraction has a connection to my favorite cable channel! :D Whether this brings additional changes to the actual ride-through remains to be seen.

Albert
WIST #60:
AwallaceUNC: Would you prefer Substi-Blu-tiary Locomotion? :p

WIST #61:
TheSequelOfDisney: Damn, did Lin-Manuel Miranda go and murder all your families?