Disney Extends Bob Iger's Contract as CEO and Chairman

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
Disney's Divinity
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Re: Disney Extends Bob Iger's Contract as CEO and Chairman

Post by Disney's Divinity »

I'm not surprised, but I don't care either. I would have liked someone else to take over just on the small possibility it might get us another hand-drawn film, but they're all the same so it really makes no difference who's in charge.
Listening to most often lately:
Abi Carter ~ "Part of Your World" (live)
Taylor Swift ~ "The Alchemy"
Taylor Swift ~ "The Prophecy"
Semaj
Anniversary Edition

Post by Semaj »

Back when Iger was selected to succeed Eisner, I had in good faith envisioned him as Kronk from Emperor's New Groove. (If you haven't seen the movie, I'll leave YOU to figure out why.)

Is life at Disney perfect? The answer is, was it ever? In terms of improving the company's overall health, Iger has succeeded.

With that in mind, I'm actually okay with Iger as CEO, so long as Disney doesn't go thru another state of turmoil. (Since Roy E. Disney is dead, who will now step up should God forbid things go sour again?)
"OH COME ON, REALLY?!?!"
TsWade2
Anniversary Edition

Post by TsWade2 »

nevermind.
Last edited by TsWade2 on Fri Oct 03, 2014 7:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Semaj
Anniversary Edition

Post by Semaj »

You're an idiot. Get help.
"OH COME ON, REALLY?!?!"
disneyprincess11
Diamond Edition

Post by disneyprincess11 »

TsWade, I really do not see what the big deal about not doing 2D is. Ok, I can see it, but if they don't do it, oh well. It's not a big deal. It's just a choice they make. Disney is a business, not a wish granter. It's 2014, not 1994. Yes, they clearly didn't try enough to do 2D, but at least they gave it a shot.

And correct me if I'm wrong, but if it wasn't for Iger, WDAS would probably NOT be here right now. I remember reading after Chicken little, Eisner or someone was seriously considering to shut down WDAS for good. Few Years later: WDAS has its first success in years and billion dollar movie. Because of Iger's run. So, thank him for saving the heart and soul of Disney. Yes, he has made/making some terrible choices *cough Avatar Land *cough*, but at least he put Disney mostly where it's supposed to be. Please calm down. You're making yourself crazy again.
TsWade2
Anniversary Edition

Post by TsWade2 »

Semaj wrote:You're an idiot. Get help.
Don't you dare calling me an idiot! :x Besides I take that back. Happy now?
Jules
Diamond Edition

Post by Jules »

disneyprincess11 wrote:And correct me if I'm wrong, but if it wasn't for Iger, WDAS would probably NOT be here right now. I remember reading after Chicken little, Eisner or someone was seriously considering to shut down WDAS for good.
That one was really scary. :huh: I believe it was after the Pixar acquisition that some Disney management pricks started to wonder whether they still needed WDAS now that they had surefire money-magnet Pixar.
carolinakid
Anniversary Edition

Post by carolinakid »

I wish he cared more about WDW. To me my Disney experience/magic bands/fastpass+ all suck. I'd rather the 2 billion had been spent on new attractions and park maintenance.
TsWade2
Anniversary Edition

Post by TsWade2 »

carolinakid wrote:I wish he cared more about WDW. To me my Disney experience/magic bands/fastpass+ all suck. I'd rather the 2 billion had been spent on new attractions and park maintenance.
Actually, I'm more of a Disneyland guy. Sorry.
TsWade2
Anniversary Edition

Post by TsWade2 »

Jules wrote:
disneyprincess11 wrote:And correct me if I'm wrong, but if it wasn't for Iger, WDAS would probably NOT be here right now. I remember reading after Chicken little, Eisner or someone was seriously considering to shut down WDAS for good.
That one was really scary. :huh: I believe it was after the Pixar acquisition that some Disney management pricks started to wonder whether they still needed WDAS now that they had surefire money-magnet Pixar.
I don't want to get back on Michael Eisner either. After all, he is the Judas of hand drawn animation as far as I'm concerned. I'll give Bob Iger credit for what he's done. By the way, does Moana count as a hand drawn movie even though it's going to be in CGI?
TsWade2
Anniversary Edition

Post by TsWade2 »

Jules wrote:
I don't want to get back on Michael Eisner either. After all, he is the Judas of hand drawn animation as far as I'm concerned. I'll give Bob Iger credit for what he's done. By the way, does Moana count as a hand drawn movie even though it's going to be in CGI?
Disney's Divinity

Post by Disney's Divinity »

disneyprincess11 wrote: And correct me if I'm wrong, but if it wasn't for Iger, WDAS would probably NOT be here right now. I remember reading after Chicken little, Eisner or someone was seriously considering to shut down WDAS for good. Few Years later: WDAS has its first success in years and billion dollar movie. Because of Iger's run. So, thank him for saving the heart and soul of Disney.
Sometimes I wonder if that would even be a big deal? To me, "Disney" has slowly been made synonymous with Pixar, so I (personally) don't see much to get excited about that I couldn't also go to a Pixar or Dreamworks forum for if I was pressed to care about the state of American animation. The only thing that really differences Disney from its competitors in a positive way, to me, is that it still utilizes music for its story and has female characters in the main roles more often than the other two. Neither of which will be on display in BH6 or Zootopia, as far as I know.

The only things I would personally lose out on if Disney had closed down WDAS are TP&TF and Frozen, one of which Disney already ignores (and didn't care too much about from the start...) and the other which could just as easily be a fluke they'll never repeat.
Listening to most often lately:
Abi Carter ~ "Part of Your World" (live)
Taylor Swift ~ "The Alchemy"
Taylor Swift ~ "The Prophecy"
DisneyJedi
Platinum Edition

Post by DisneyJedi »

Hey. At least Disney acknowledges TPatF, even if it's mainly just Tiana because she's in the whole princess thing. What about Bolt and Wreck-it Ralph?! I don't see much of THEIR merchandise anywhere! :(

And trust me on the case of WiR. I was there at Disney for the college program. During November, there was merchandise for the movie, but the next month, all of it was at local outlet stores nearby. I know because one of the merchandise store cast members told me so.
unprincess
Collector's Edition

Post by unprincess »

WIR is this decades Oliver and Company, a film that was successful but then forgotten the following year due to a more successful film(Little Mermaid/Frozen.)
Lady Cluck
Anniversary Edition

Post by Lady Cluck »

WIR just doesn't fit in to the Disney Princess cash cow like the others do. The merchandise just won't sell as well and that's the main reason why those other recent films remain at the forefront.

WIR still has a nice presence in things like Disney Infinity (there are even more WIR features in Disney Infinity 2.0) and the real Fix It Felix arcade game at DisneyQuest.

I agree that there could be more (so many actual rides could be made from this movie in the parks) but it's not completely forgotten.
LADY Image CLUCK
DisneyJedi
Platinum Edition

Post by DisneyJedi »

It's not just merchandise I'm talking about. At Disneyland, Ralph and Vanellope stopped doing meet and greets at the Starcade and I'm not sure how much longer they'll be meeting at Hollywood Studios with Baymax and Hiro meeting there soon.

At least Tiana and (sometimes) Naveen meet guests regularly at the parks. :(
Lady Cluck
Anniversary Edition

Post by Lady Cluck »

Well the kids were probably too scared. Wouldn't you be?

LADY Image CLUCK
MeerkatKombat
Special Edition

Post by MeerkatKombat »

Lady Cluck wrote:Well the kids were probably too scared. Wouldn't you be?

Kill it with fire!
Settling Soul mates? That is grim. And I've played Monopoly alone.
Atlantica
Signature Collection

Post by Atlantica »

Oh my gosh, that's an actual meet and greet character ?! How frightening !
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

Disney Promotes Tom Staggs to No. 2 Post, Positioning Him as Iger’s Successor
http://variety.com/2015/biz/news/disney ... 201423601/

Disney CFO Jay Rasulo to Step Down on June 30
http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/d ... tep-799134
ImageImageImageImageImageImage