Dumbo (Live-Action)

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
Vlad
Collector's Edition

Re: Live Action "Dumbo" in the works

Post by Vlad »

2Disney4Ever wrote:
Sicoe Vlad wrote::lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

They have so many films they could remake in live action, and they chose Dumbo? Personally, I'd prefer to see a live action remake for Pinocchio.
From what I remember there were two live-action Pinocchios made before from other studios.
Yes, I know that.
unprincess
Collector's Edition

Post by unprincess »

2Disney4Ever wrote:
unprincess wrote:I love all the reaction pics, keep em coming! :lol:
there were humans in the T&P series? ok well that show didnt take itself very seriously anyway so it shouldnt be too surprising...
This guy in particular:

um, yeah..really didnt like this show.

Id love to know how the CGI team are gonna pull off an elephant flying without it looking completely ridiculous...especially if they use that semi-realistic style like in Chipmunks...
Disney Duster
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Post by Disney Duster »

I can't believe any of you are taking this seriously. The original is an untouchable masterpiece. How are they going to match it and it's charm and make realistic elephants, mice and crows emote? None of you think this idea is beyond bad?

And why were the railroad working African Americans racist? I don't even think the crows were that racist.
Last edited by Disney Duster on Thu Jul 10, 2014 11:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2Disney4Ever
Gold Classic Collection

Post by 2Disney4Ever »

Disney Duster wrote:I can't believe any of you are taking this seriously. The original is an untouchable masterpiece. How are they going to match it and it's charm and make realistic elephants, mice and crows emote? None of you htink this idea is beyond bad?

And why were the railroad working African Americans racist? I don't even think the crows were that racist.
Well, I agree. It is pretty unnecessary.

Love traditional Disney animation? Send your art to: http://2disney4ever.deviantart.com/
DisneyJedi
Platinum Edition

Post by DisneyJedi »

What?!

I mean, really! How do you say "Do not want!" in literally every language?! :(
Vlad
Collector's Edition

Post by Vlad »

Disney Duster wrote:I can't believe any of you are taking this seriously. The original is an untouchable masterpiece. How are they going to match it and it's charm and make realistic elephants, mice and crows emote? None of you think this idea is beyond bad?
Well, I think it's unnecessary, but I don't think it's bad, that's a bit too harsh, innit?
Lady Cluck
Anniversary Edition

Post by Lady Cluck »

So people are looking forward to live action Cinderella and Beauty and the Beast but for Dumbo and Jungle Book they want to burn Disney headquarters to the ground?

Typical princess bias :roll: And this is even after Maleficent turned out to be a steaming pile of shit.
LADY Image CLUCK
estefan
Platinum Edition

Post by estefan »

Disney Duster wrote:I can't believe any of you are taking this seriously. The original is an untouchable masterpiece. How are they going to match it and it's charm and make realistic elephants, mice and crows emote? None of you think this idea is beyond bad?
Weren't you also decrying Maleficent prior to its release and then ended up loving it? You never know.
"There are two wolves and they are always fighting. One is darkness and despair. The other is light and hope. Which wolf wins? Whichever one you feed." - Casey Newton, Tomorrowland
Old Fish Tale
Anniversary Edition

Post by Old Fish Tale »

Lady Cluck wrote:So people are looking forward to live action Cinderella and Beauty and the Beast but for Dumbo and Jungle Book they want to burn Disney headquarters to the ground?

Typical princess bias :roll: And this is even after Maleficent turned out to be a steaming pile of shit.
I never thought this day would come, but I fully agree with you on something!
Atlantica
Signature Collection

Post by Atlantica »

This is all making it seem like Disney is cannibalising itself; nothing new launching in the live action division, but just live action retellings of what was beautiful in the first place.

At least with Maleficent it wasn't just Sleeping Beauty again, it was a different view / perspective. I can't quite get my head around Cinderella; is it a remake ? Is it just a Cinderella film happening to be done by Disney ?

Though I suppose you could argue John Carter and Lone Ranger have made them stop and go back to what they know; their own stories.
Old Fish Tale
Anniversary Edition

Post by Old Fish Tale »

Atlantica wrote:I can't quite get my head around Cinderella; is it a remake ? Is it just a Cinderella film happening to be done by Disney ?
And what was 'Alice in Wonderland'? Aren't they all reimaginings?
Atlantica
Signature Collection

Post by Atlantica »

Alice in Wonderland was basically Alice In Wonderland II: Return to Underland. But the film couldn't be pitched or titled that way I guess, so it was just generically called 'Alice In Wonderland'. Some may call that a re-imagining but I pretty much regard the live action Alice as a sequel, as it takes place after events in the Disney Classic version.
Old Fish Tale
Anniversary Edition

Post by Old Fish Tale »

But there are countless differences between the 1951 film and the 2010 film. It would even be easier to connect 'Maleficent' to 'Sleeping Beauty'...
supertalies
Special Edition

Post by supertalies »

I agree with Atlantica. The live-action Alice in Wonderland film was pretty much a sequel to the Disney animated movies (or at least to the books). Yes, the animated movie and the live-action movie don't completely merge, but story-wise it's definitely not a remake of the animated movie, like the Dumbo movie seems to be.
I can't quite get my head around Cinderella; is it a remake ? Is it just a Cinderella film happening to be done by Disney ?
So far it seems the only recent live action Disney fantasy movie that's actually supposed to be a remake of the animated movie is Cinderella. As far as I can tell it's heavily influenced by the animated movie (the names of the stepfamily, the mice and Lucifer, the dress ripping scene etc.) and retells the original story, rather than tell what happened next or retell it from another character's POV.
DisneyJedi
Platinum Edition

Post by DisneyJedi »

Lady Cluck wrote:So people are looking forward to live action Cinderella and Beauty and the Beast but for Dumbo and Jungle Book they want to burn Disney headquarters to the ground?

It's not that we have a princess bias. It's more so that Jungle Book and Dumbo's cast is made up of mainly animals.
Barbossa
Collector's Edition

Post by Barbossa »

Walter wrote:The makers of this film, will have to be really high, to create the "Pink Elephants on Parade" segment. I am afraid to see how it would turn out on live action.
They should get Terry Gilliam to direct that sequence like Fear and Loathing.

Does this mean that Andy Serkis is now studying the movements of elephants?
DisneyJedi
Platinum Edition

Post by DisneyJedi »

supertalies wrote:
I can't quite get my head around Cinderella; is it a remake ? Is it just a Cinderella film happening to be done by Disney ?
So far it seems the only recent live action Disney fantasy movie that's actually supposed to be a remake of the animated movie is Cinderella. As far as I can tell it's heavily influenced by the animated movie (the names of the stepfamily, the mice and Lucifer, the dress ripping scene etc.) and retells the original story, rather than tell what happened next or retell it from another character's POV.
How do you know that it'll have all those influences? :?
Disney's Divinity

Post by Disney's Divinity »

DisneyJedi wrote: It's not that we have a princess bias. It's more so that Jungle Book and Dumbo's cast is made up of mainly animals.
This is exactly the difference.

The way they use animals in these kinds of movies just never works. Either you have the animals act normal and either a character or the narrator tells you what they said, or they awkwardly try to sync vocals to their mouths and/or actions (or not, like Homeward Bound). Or you get something truly awful like those Beverly Hill Chihuahua movies where they use computer to movie the mouths.
Listening to most often lately:
Ariana Grande ~ "we can't be friends (wait for your love)"
Ariana Grande ~ "imperfect for you"
Kacey Musgraves ~ "The Architect"
Musical Master
Anniversary Edition

Post by Musical Master »

Disney's Divinity wrote:
DisneyJedi wrote: It's not that we have a princess bias. It's more so that Jungle Book and Dumbo's cast is made up of mainly animals.
This is exactly the difference.

The way they use animals in these kinds of movies just never works. Either you have the animals act normal and either a character or the narrator tells you what they said, or they awkwardly try to sync vocals to their mouths and/or actions (or not, like Homeward Bound). Or you get something truly awful like those Beverly Hill Chihuahua movies where they use computer to movie the mouths.
I think Homeward Bound worked because of the concept of hearing their thoughts and dialogue without the mouth movements made it feel a bit less awkward unlike Babe.
Disney, Pixar, Rodgers and Hammerstein, and Cinema fan
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

estefan wrote:Weren't you also decrying Maleficent prior to its release and then ended up loving it? You never know.
I knew Maleficent would be better than this idea sounds, but if this thing works and I have to admit I was wrong, I will.
Atlantica wrote:At least with Maleficent it wasn't just Sleeping Beauty again, it was a different view / perspective. I can't quite get my head around Cinderella; is it a remake ? Is it just a Cinderella film happening to be done by Disney ?
Like supertalies said, it is definitely not just a Cinderella movie done by Disney. It is a new form of the 1950 Disney animated version. Otherwise the stepmother wouldn't be called Lady Tremaine, and so on. You could call it a remake, but I would use the word re-imagining instead, because they are applying new imagination to the old story and characters and designs.
DisneyJedi wrote:
supertalies wrote:So far it seems the only recent live action Disney fantasy movie that's actually supposed to be a remake of the animated movie is Cinderella. As far as I can tell it's heavily influenced by the animated movie (the names of the stepfamily, the mice and Lucifer, the dress ripping scene etc.) and retells the original story, rather than tell what happened next or retell it from another character's POV.
How do you know that it'll have all those influences? :?
Disney sent out a photo and a press release description of the movie mentioning the names of the stepfamily and the story points like the dress ripping scene. And there's more in the thread about the live-action Cinderella! Here it is! You'll have to read through lots of pages to know all the inlfuences.
Last edited by Disney Duster on Sat Jul 12, 2014 8:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.