Frozen II

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
Lady Cluck
Anniversary Edition

Re: Frozen 2 (2018?)

Post by Lady Cluck »

Walt topped pigs with pigs on multiple occasions, as has the Disney company in general.
LADY Image CLUCK
Disney's Divinity
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Post by Disney's Divinity »

I agree, considering their comeback has been with a fairytale princess film 3 times now (first Cinderella, then The Little Mermaid, and now Frozen).
Fflewduur wrote:
And 2018 is four years away.
I personally don't think that makes any difference at all.
Listening to most often lately:
Ariana Grande ~ "we can't be friends (wait for your love)"
Ariana Grande ~ "imperfect for you"
Kacey Musgraves ~ "The Architect"
DisneyEra
Anniversary Edition

Post by DisneyEra »

The film I think WDAS should do most after Zootopia is Giants. Giants will continue the Tangled/Frozen universe. And why wouldn't they? Tangled was the biggest hit from WDAS since the Renaissance ended with Tarzan. From Fantasia 2000 in December 1999 all the way to The Princess & the Frog in December 2009, the highest grossing film from the studio worldwide was this:Image
with over $349million. That's about half of what a film from Pixar & DreamWorks would gross during that decade. Tangled made over $591mil & Frozen will surpass $1.2billion before this month ends. Also, Walt had his three fairy-tales: Snow White/Cinderella/Sleeping Beauty. The Renaissance had Little Mermaid/Beauty & the Beast/Aladdin. Giants would complete the three modern CGI fairy-tales. A Thanksgiving 2016 release would be perfect. WDAS has a release date for an unannounced film set for that date already, I hope it's Giants. Then you can imagine all the arguments over which era had the better 3 fairy-tale films :)
Fflewduur
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Fflewduur »

Lady Cluck wrote:Walt topped pigs with pigs on multiple occasions, as has the Disney company in general.
Disney's Divinity wrote:I agree, considering their comeback has been with a fairytale princess film 3 times now (first Cinderella, then The Little Mermaid, and now Frozen).
Fflewduur wrote:
And 2018 is four years away.
I personally don't think that makes any difference at all.

Another fairytale princess film failed to save a future for hand-drawn animation at the studio. Still another (coming out in DE later this year) cost twice as much as the features immediately preceding, received very mixed reviews, was financially unsuccessful (to the extent that the studio laid off a bunch of animators, wrote off its first loss in a decade, and the film was not released again in Walt’s lifetime).

Those aforementioned films were all distanced by at least a dozen years and as much as nearly 40. And Frozen 2 is not as to Frozen as Cinderella is to Snow White because we’ve never seen Disney do theatrically released animated feature *sequels*…with the exception of projects produced by DisneyToon, which simply aren’t up to WDFA (now WDAS) quality, and the last Pooh film, which was a nice little film that tanked at the box office (probably in no small part due to the plethora of DisneyToon theatrically released sequels that preceded it).

The success of a sequel is going to depend on a lot things: a good story, a good score, another stand-out signature tune perhaps…and something more. If anyone really knew what it took to make a successful film, much less a film franchise, the industry would be a very different place.

Four years is a long time. If Frozen is as big as it gets in this current upward trend in quality and reception, if things start a downhill slide with BH6 and keep heading down from there, Frozen 2 could just be a Lilo-ish bright spot amid a cycle of lesser efforts—and would get less credit for being a retread.

Heck, if the schedule holds true, we know the next nine DWA films coming down the pike between now and F2, and half of those are sequels: the animated franchise thing could easily go stale for audiences between now and then if The Croods 2 and The Penguins of Madagascar and Kung Fu Panda 3 are as lame as they might be.

It’s just way too early to begin to judge what sort of success a Frozen follow-up might be.
TsWade2
Anniversary Edition

Post by TsWade2 »

Never mind.
Last edited by TsWade2 on Wed May 14, 2014 7:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
disneyprincess11
Diamond Edition

Post by disneyprincess11 »

TsWade2 wrote:Well, I want to see Disney do another hand drawn animated movie, and it's not fair of those anti hand drawn animation snobs ignoring the greatest movie, The Princess & the Frog. :glare: Also, I don't think a sequel is necessary.
Not to be rude or mean, may you please save that for the 2D board?
TsWade2
Anniversary Edition

Post by TsWade2 »

disneyprincess11 wrote:
TsWade2 wrote:Well, I want to see Disney do another hand drawn animated movie, and it's not fair of those anti hand drawn animation snobs ignoring the greatest movie, The Princess & the Frog. :glare: Also, I don't think a sequel is necessary.
Sorry.
disneyprincess11
Diamond Edition

Post by disneyprincess11 »

TsWade2 wrote:Sorry.
All is forgiven :)
Disney's Divinity

Post by Disney's Divinity »

Fflewduur wrote: Another fairytale princess film failed to save a future for hand-drawn animation at the studio. Still another (coming out in DE later this year) cost twice as much as the features immediately preceding, received very mixed reviews, was financially unsuccessful (to the extent that the studio laid off a bunch of animators, wrote off its first loss in a decade, and the film was not released again in Walt’s lifetime).
If you're talking about Sleeping Beauty with that second one--it was not financially unsuccessful. It's budget was just too big for its profit, the same problem Tangled had.

Moreover, that does nothing to change the fact that every film that has revived Disney has been a fairy tale princess film. There is nothing left to say, because that is a fact and meandering about the point doesn't change it.

A theatrical Frozen sequel would doubtless be a success, and nothing you've said makes me worry at all.
Listening to most often lately:
Ariana Grande ~ "we can't be friends (wait for your love)"
Ariana Grande ~ "imperfect for you"
Kacey Musgraves ~ "The Architect"
disneyboy20022
Signature Collection

Post by disneyboy20022 »

So Alan Horn hasn't thought about even the possibility of a Frozen Sequel?

Yeah sure, and Lickboot doesn't feel like he's got to have money :P
Want to Hear How I met Roy E. Disney in 2003? Click the link Below

http://fromscreentotheme.com/ThursdayTr ... isney.aspx
Angeldude98
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Angeldude98 »

disneyprincess11 wrote:
And just what is the problem with him stating his opinion about 2D animation here? Why make him feel bad? This thread is about a possible Frozen sequel an everything surrounding it and what it could mean... and that includes future releases in both 2D and 3D. I get sooo tired of users patrolling! I happen to agree with him on that one! TPATF was awesome and very underrated! I'd love to see another Disney 2D film as well!
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

Angeldude98 wrote:This thread is about a possible Frozen sequel an everything surrounding it and what it could mean... and that includes future releases in both 2D and 3D. I get sooo tired of users patrolling!
No, it does not. TsWade2's incessant rants about 2D are not only incredibly tiresome and frustrating but in this case they're off-topic as well and disneyprincess11 was right to politely redirect him to the appropriate topic.
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

Bog Iger talks about about the possibility of a Frozen sequel.
Q: When are we going to see the sequel?

Bob Iger: We've said about sequels at the company that we want a great story first then we'll decide to make a sequel. If we just mandate a sequel in the marketplace and force storytelling that may not be completely right or up to the standards of the first film, that's not going to do the franchise any good. So when our creative team is ready, when they have a good story, I'm sure that we'll be ready to make a sequel. But it's something that I think I’d like to -- we would like it to happen more organically from a creative perspective than something that is forced because we're interested in the bottom line.
Source: http://www.cnbc.com/id/101651430
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
Lady Cluck
Anniversary Edition

Post by Lady Cluck »

That's encouraging. There should be no rush to pump this out. Frozen was a massive success with ALL ages and will continue to be passed on to younger generations so there's no need to rush before the fanbase "grows up."
LADY Image CLUCK
Atlantica
Signature Collection

Post by Atlantica »

Agree completely with what Bob Iger has said; but that looks like its gone out the window for Pixar though ? When weren't they originally the ones that were all about story first, franchise later etc ?

I just hope he stays true to his word and a Frozen sequel only comes organically, and isn't forced. There is still a lot of life in Frozen yet (thinking theme park and show) so I don't think a sequel needs to be rush released. If even released at all. Think it would be pretty magical if it stayed with just the one. They can expand so much for the show; use cut songs, more backstory on Elsa (possibly) …. that is where my personal interest is, over a sequel.
Fflewduur
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Fflewduur »

Disney's Divinity wrote:If you're talking about Sleeping Beauty with that second one--it was not financially unsuccessful. It's budget was just too big for its profit, the same problem Tangled had.

Moreover, that does nothing to change the fact that every film that has revived Disney has been a fairy tale princess film. There is nothing left to say, because that is a fact and meandering about the point doesn't change it.

A theatrical Frozen sequel would doubtless be a success, and nothing you've said makes me worry at all.
Not really the point here, but--if a film doesn't earn enough above and beyond its budget, that's a fine definition of "unsuccessful." If its poor performance results in people losing their jobs, that's the kind of success the studio can do without. In 1959 it's not like the studio could turn around and offer it for sale on home media six months later in order to generate more revenue. And unlike the films immediately surrounding it that were unqualified successes (Lady & the Tramp, Dalmatians, Peter Pan) reception and returns were poor enough that it took years longer than those films to see theatrical re-release.

Yes, every major comeback has had its princess film, but it's not an immutable rule of the universe that it will *always* be that way, and every princess film has not been automatically successful just because its a princess film.

Besides, success is based on expectations. Wreck-it Ralph cost $15M more to make and only grossed about 40% what Frozen did, but it's considered successful. But if BH6 has Ralph-like returns, or makes half what Frozen did (which would be an improvement over Ralph, don't you think there will be some disappointment and wringing of hands and gnashing of teeth? How successful must a sequel to a $1.2B grosser be in order to be an unqualified success? Who's going to be satisfied if F2 makes $600M (less than The Incredibles), or $750M (about as much as Monsters U)?

I've been in the theatre a long time, worked a lot of shows with good scripts and good creative personnel that somehow didn't turn out as well as the sum of the parts would lead one to expect. *My* concern is that the creative process is not an exact science; it can't be reduced to a formula...but sequels are always in danger of using a formulaic approach. It's much easier to compile a long list of crappy sequels than good ones.
Angeldude98
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Angeldude98 »

Sotiris wrote:
Angeldude98 wrote:This thread is about a possible Frozen sequel an everything surrounding it and what it could mean... and that includes future releases in both 2D and 3D. I get sooo tired of users patrolling!
No, it does not. TsWade2's incessant rants about 2D are not only incredibly tiresome and frustrating but in this case they're off-topic as well and disneyprincess11 was right to politely redirect him to the appropriate topic.

Oh, well I didn't see any rants. Just that one comment. But anyway, everyone can state their opinions and say what they think.
DisneyEra
Anniversary Edition

Post by DisneyEra »

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GJP-sRemqsc[/youtube]

Grace Randolph: "Disney Animation after Frozen"
unprincess
Collector's Edition

Post by unprincess »

oh Iger is a funny one. The only reason he's not interested in a Frozen sequal right now is b/c he knows theyll be cashing in on it in other forms(Broadway, tv.) If the bottom line really didnt matter we'd be getting another 2d animated film. :roll:
PatrickvD
Signature Collection

Post by PatrickvD »

unprincess wrote:oh Iger is a funny one. The only reason he's not interested in a Frozen sequal right now is b/c he knows theyll be cashing in on it in other forms(Broadway, tv.) If the bottom line really didnt matter we'd be getting another 2d animated film. :roll:
Also, we're approaching Cars 3... his explanation is laughable.