Frozen II

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
Sotiris
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Frozen II

Post by Sotiris »

This thread is solely dedicated to a possible Frozen sequel (news, rumors, speculation, wishlist etc). For anything else Frozen-related, you can use to the general Frozen thread.

While Frozen co-director Chris Buck and Walt Disney Studios chairman Alan Horn claim that the possibility of a sequel hasn't even been discussed yet, recently-surfaced information indicates otherwise.

• During the 7th Winter Show in Brazil, an event for film distributors and exhibitors, Disney Brazil confirmed that there are indeed plans for a Frozen sequel.

• Santino Fontana, the voice of Hans, talked about the fate of his character in the sequel: "They could tell another story with those characters and I say 'Well, I woudn't be in it' and I spoke to the writers who are friends as well, and they're like 'No, no. We have an idea. We want to bring you back. We want to redeem you.' So that would be great. That would be amazing".

• Barton Crockett, an analyst who covers Disney for FBR Capital Markets said "we should expect a Frozen sequel in 2018". I can't tell if this was merely speculation on his part or whether he's privy to inside information but as of now 2018 is booked with two other WDAS films: Moana and Wreck-It Ralph 2 who have been in development much longer than the Frozen sequel. Of course, release schedules change all the time so it's still plausible. Also, since Chris Buck and Jennifer Lee are working together on a different project, it would mean that somebody else would have to direct the sequel for it to be ready by 2018.
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
Sky Syndrome
Anniversary Edition

Re: Frozen 2 (2018?)

Post by Sky Syndrome »

Noooo! Quite a lot of us love hating on Hans and don't want him to reform!
thelittleursula
Anniversary Edition

Post by thelittleursula »

Sky Syndrome wrote:Noooo! Quite a lot of us love hating on Hans and don't want him to reform!

Some people ACTUALLY like him as a villian/ character and he's a important character whether they redeem him or not, hence why he's usually on posters and never somebody like the Duke + his henchmen.

I hate Maleficent and you don't see me complaining everytime she's on screen during Sleeping Beauty.

And you don't want him to reform ? Why ? If he does he'll be a BETTER PERSON.

* insert lady cluck mode *
thedisneyspirit
Anniversary Edition

Post by thedisneyspirit »

thelittleursula wrote:* insert lady cluck mode *
Needs more insults to be like Clucky's. :P

Anyway, I think it's too soon for a thread of a Frozen sequel. I have no clue what would the story be about...I wouldn't like the most generic storylines like "Elsa gets a boyfriend with powers opposite hers" or "Elsa meets other element benders like herself", those stories have been done to death.
Disney's Divinity

Post by Disney's Divinity »

Seriously, the Hans fans are going to be the worst thing about this franchise if there is a sequel.
Listening to most often lately:
Ariana Grande ~ "we can't be friends (wait for your love)"
Ariana Grande ~ "imperfect for you"
Kacey Musgraves ~ "The Architect"
Mach Full Force
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Mach Full Force »

Personally, I think Anna and Elsa had enough story to tell in the first movie, and if there really are sequels being made, they should take a different path and have them be about different sets of characters in different time periods with a different feel for each movie, though in the same universe, with certain things linking the stories together, like (of course) the presence of a Snow Queen character, the recurring theme of fear VS love, and/or the "Do you wanna build a snowman" riff. Heck, if they did that kind of thing, they could find a way to explain where the Snow Queen powers come from.

I think it would be pretty nifty if Frozen 2 was a noir mystery story, akin to Who Framed Roger Rabbit, about a Snow Queen being pursued by a detective in the 40s. Disney has wandered into the mystery genre before with Great Mouse Detective, but (perhaps because I'm a fan of Kamen Rider Double) I would like to see them do something more along the lines of Philip Marlowe's works, maybe with a couple of Sin City-esque scenes in which the Snow Queen character is in the middle of a crowd and, with her shades of blue, she stands out among the black and white.

Sure, this is extremely unlikely because of merchandise matters and of how popular Let It Go turned out to be, but they can't stop me from dreaming.
"Maybe you live in a golden cage, but a golden cage is still a cage."
~Juan Carlos Bodoque, 31 Minutos: La Película
FigmentJedi
Gold Classic Collection

Post by FigmentJedi »

Disney's Divinity wrote:Seriously, the Hans fans are going to be the worst thing about this franchise if there is a sequel.
What about all the crazy Elsanna fans that'll get angry at the inevitable "Male love interest for Elsa" being brought in?
Angeldude98
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Angeldude98 »

Frozen's success just keeps on climbing non-stop... and as sated in this thread (and if this article from CNN is any clue in case someone doubts it) a sequel is in the works for 2018!:

http://money.cnn.com/2014/05/12/news/co ... ?hpt=hp_t3

I don't think anyone ever imagined or expected this level of success for a film genre that until a short time ago was thought of a being pretty much dead and forgotten. Frozen proved that the Disney Princess Fairytale is very much alive and well, albeit being a significant departure from the generic romantic fomula (I wouldn't have minded more romance in it). Regardless, this will definitely be placed in the "Untouchables" rank right up there with Snow White, Beauty and the Beast, Cinderella, Peter Pan and all the other classics. Should a sequel really be made? Would it have the same level of success? Or should Disney leave well enough alone? I'd love to see how that plays out!
TsWade2
Anniversary Edition

Post by TsWade2 »

I don't think that's going to happen in my opinion.
Last edited by TsWade2 on Wed May 14, 2014 6:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Disney's Divinity

FigmentJedi wrote: What about all the crazy Elsanna fans that'll get angry at the inevitable "Male love interest for Elsa" being brought in?
At least that has a legitimate reason to the madness (ie: the pisspoor portrayal of women in media). The Hans fans who think he should become Saint Hans just because he's hot are just flat-out crazy. It reminds me of all those crazy tweets from girls about how the Boston bomber was innocent because he was a hot teenager.
Semaj
Anniversary Edition

Post by Semaj »

Angeldude98 wrote:Should a sequel really be made?
No.
Would it have the same level of success?
No.
Or should Disney leave well enough alone?
Yes.
"OH COME ON, REALLY?!?!"
Warm Regards
Special Edition

Post by Warm Regards »

thedisneyspirit wrote:Anyway, I think it's too soon for a thread of a Frozen sequel. I have no clue what would the story be about...I wouldn't like the most generic storylines like "Elsa gets a boyfriend with powers opposite hers" or "Elsa meets other element benders like herself", those stories have been done to death.
Anna and Elsa's parents come back from Disneyland and family drama ensues. :lol:
Lady Cluck
Anniversary Edition

Post by Lady Cluck »

I do NOT want Hans to be redeemed, but I'm sure it's coming given the general trend in villain backstories and redemption story arcs :roll:

But do keep in mind that they would at least have a bigger budget and better talent to work with than the typical straight to video Disney sequel, which is a major reason why so many of us are against sequels for Disney. I don't think a sequel is necessary, but if they did it I would hope they'd go all out in trying to make a quality story rather than just cashing in on the franchise. I'd love to see Frozen become Disney's Toy Story with a successful and critically acclaimed trilogy :) There's definitely a lot of mythology and dynamics they could expand on. Just NOT with Hans. I wouldn't mind seeing him pop up later in some fashion though.
LADY Image CLUCK
Disney's Divinity

Semaj wrote:
Would it have the same level of success?
No.
I very much doubt that's true. Look at most of Dreamworks and Pixar franchises--the sequels do better than the original financially 99% of the time. The only cases I don't think this were true were Cars 2 and Shrek 4, but I'm not going to look it up.
Fflewduur
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Fflewduur »

If it’s a direct-to-video sequel, I’ll do what I do with all direct-to-video sequels: ignore it. I am not a fan of franchising for its own sake, nor am I a fan of cashing in on an original property’s magic with a cheap follow-up. It’s just lame.

If it’s a theatrical release by Feature Animation, I’ll give it a chance.
Disney's Divinity wrote:
Semaj wrote: No.
I very much doubt that's true. Look at most of Dreamworks and Pixar franchises--the sequels do better than the original financially 99% of the time. The only cases I don't think this were true were Cars 2 and Shrek 4, but I'm not going to look it up.
Domestically, Monsters University didn’t do much better in actual $s than Monsters, Inc—worse, actually, in adjusted dollars and estimated ticket sales. Adjusted numbers for worldwide grosses aren’t available, though Monsters U likely still comes out on top because a dozen years’ inflation still doesn’t make up a $200M difference in international attendance.

Returns fell off for the third and fourth Shrek films—neither did as well as the second.

Domestically, Madagascar 2 & 3 were drop-offs as well. Even without adjusting for inflation, the second film underperformed the first; adjusted, the first film did better than both the sequels (until international returns are added in). Production budgets for the last two are double that of the first…

Adjusted, the Ice Age franchise has dropped off in domestic popularity since the first installment to the tune of and $80M difference over the life of the franchise—but the numbers worldwide went up exponentially with wider releases.

Franchising makes sense in that it’s easier to market a known quantity. I’d still rather see Disney focus on new projects, but I’m not in charge.

Frozen has set the bar awfully high. A sequel would have to have a good story and tell it well, and it’d have to strike a chord with an equally receptive market. I suppose we’ll find out.
Disney's Divinity

Fflewduur wrote: Frozen has set the bar awfully high. A sequel would have to have a good story and tell it well, and it’d have to strike a chord with an equally receptive market.
I would say the market is more than "receptive" at this point.
Fflewduur
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Fflewduur »

Disney's Divinity wrote:
Fflewduur wrote: Frozen has set the bar awfully high. A sequel would have to have a good story and tell it well, and it’d have to strike a chord with an equally receptive market.
I would say the market is more than "receptive" at this point.
And 2018 is four years away.
ProfessorRatigan
Special Edition

Post by ProfessorRatigan »

"You can't top pigs with pigs."

That's all I have to say on the matter.
Fflewduur
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Fflewduur »

ProfessorRatigan wrote:"You can't top pigs with pigs."