Feast

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
estefan
Platinum Edition

Feast

Post by estefan »

Disney To Debut ‘Feast’ At Annecy
Feast, a new short by Paperman head of animation Patrick Osborne, will debut at the Annecy International Animated Film Festival on June 10, Disney announced this morning. The Walt Disney Animation Studios short appears to be made using the same stylized CG technique that was used on Paperman. Feast will open in theaters in front of Big Hero 6 on November 7.

The logline: The story of one man’s love life is seen through the eyes of his best friend and dog, Winston, and revealed bite by bite through the meals they share.
So, they're definitely still open to using the Paperman technique. Since this short appears to be in colour, it wouldn't be surprising if they announce a full feature in this style down the line (especially in the wake of Peanuts' eventual success).
"There are two wolves and they are always fighting. One is darkness and despair. The other is light and hope. Which wolf wins? Whichever one you feed." - Casey Newton, Tomorrowland
Musical Master
Anniversary Edition

Re: New Disney Short "Feast"

Post by Musical Master »

Awesome! :D
Disney, Pixar, Rodgers and Hammerstein, and Cinema fan
unprincess
Collector's Edition

Post by unprincess »

:dance:
SWillie!
Collector's Edition

Post by SWillie! »

That's a pleasant surprise. Patrick Osborne's fantastic, glad to see him in charge here.
ce1ticmoon
Gold Classic Collection

Post by ce1ticmoon »

Sounds great! Looking forward to it!
Jules
Diamond Edition

Post by Jules »

Great news! :) Hope it's a stunner. The premise sounds more like that of an arty, indie film than a mainstream Disney film, which is good.
PatrickvD
Signature Collection

Post by PatrickvD »

Well this is a pleasant surprise.

I think the reason they've been shying away from making any public commitments to the Paperman technique is probably because they want to avoid a Princess and the Frog situation where they announce hand drawn's comeback with a lot of toots and whistles only to have it die immediately afterwards.

So it's nice to see them experimenting before making a choice on whether or not to go forward with a full blown feature.
ce1ticmoon
Gold Classic Collection

Post by ce1ticmoon »

They've made an unexpected killing from Frozen; it'd be amazing if they would actually use some of that money to take a risk and develop one of their currently announced features into one that employs the Paperman technique. I'm not getting my hopes up, but they're riding a nice wave of critical and commercial success; I think the timing is right.
Sotiris
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Post by Sotiris »

Let's not get ahead of ourselves. It's not confirmed the short will be using the Paperman technique or any other type of hybrid. That's was merely guesswork on Cartoon Brew's part. Personally, I think it will be just a stylized CG short. Mark Henn's comments seem to suggest that too.
Q: You're going to continue to do shorts, right?

Mark Henn: We'll see. It depends on the short. It depends on the director. The new short that's in production now is not a 2D short, it's a CG short but that's what the director envisioned. [...] Patrick has a very unique artistic sense. He's directing it, it's his short.

Q: Patrick who?

Mark Henn: Patrick Osborne. That's about all I can tell you about that.
Source: http://www.toontalkspodcast.com/?p=136
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
unprincess
Collector's Edition

Post by unprincess »

Wade's right Sotiris, you can be a real killjoy sometimes...
:lol:

jk, jk...

lets just hope for the best then...
Kyle
Platinum Edition

Post by Kyle »

It's gotta be the paperman technique, I mean just look at the image.
PatrickvD
Signature Collection

Post by PatrickvD »

Kyle wrote:It's gotta be the paperman technique, I mean just look at the image.
Most concept art has that look though :P
Sotiris
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Post by Sotiris »

Kyle wrote:It's gotta be the Paperman technique, I mean just look at the image.
That image is not a production still but concept art by Jeff Turley. Therefore, it's not necessarily indicative of the medium chosen or of the final look of the film.
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
ce1ticmoon
Gold Classic Collection

Post by ce1ticmoon »

The post said it "appears" to be in the Paperman style. Which usually indicates more than guesswork... I wonder what he based that claim on?

Hopefully it's in the Paperman style, but I agree it probably is best not to get too ahead of ourselves. But anything outside of their usual "house style" safe zone would be welcome.
Mickeyfan1990
Collector's Edition

Post by Mickeyfan1990 »

I don't care if it's 2D or CGI or whatever, although I DO wish it'll be 2D hand-drawn.
SWillie!
Collector's Edition

Post by SWillie! »

I'm personally guessing that this will be completely CG, but in a very flat style that makes it look like it could be 2d. Patrick Osborne did a short test called "Pet" before he started work on Paperman in all CG, but it was lit in a way that made each individual frame look like a visdev painting. While it didn't use any traditional animation, it was still really awesome.
TsWade2
Anniversary Edition

Post by TsWade2 »

Sorry Sotiris, but you are a fun killer. You really love to see Disney fans dreams killed, do you?

But nonetheless, I'm very excited to hear about the new short.
Semaj
Anniversary Edition

Post by Semaj »

PatrickvD wrote:So it's nice to see them experimenting before making a choice on whether or not to go forward with a full blown feature.
That's really the way it should be.

Walt Disney's artists had learned and experimented on a steady stream of Mickey Mouse and Silly Symphony shorts as they were developing Snow White. The artists coming in since the 1970s didn't really have that advantage. Now they'll get a better sense of what can/can't work in their future films, not to mention nurturing new top animators this way.
"OH COME ON, REALLY?!?!"
disneyprincess11
Diamond Edition

Post by disneyprincess11 »

TsWade2 wrote:Sorry Sotiris, but you are a fun killer. You really love to see Disney fans dreams killed, do you?
He was stating the fact, TsWade: It's UNKNOWN if it's 2D/CGI. It could be, it could not. If it's just CGI, ok then.

Either way, it looks great! :)
sunhuntin
Special Edition

Post by sunhuntin »

when i read the title, i was picturing something about thanksgiving, lol. :milkbuds:

pleased to know therell be a short to see, and the animators can experiment with things. best way to learn!
big kid at heart