Frozen Attraction?

All topics relating to Disney theme parks, resorts, and cruises.
Linden
Special Edition

Frozen Attraction?

Post by Linden »

I saw on Micechat (which isn't necessarily reliable, I know) that's there's been talk of a Frozen attraction coming to Disneyland. There were even some comments about the Matterhorn being rethemed for Frozen. Now, I'm not sourcing this, because I don't think it's news. Yet. Considering how popular Frozen is, we might see something coming to Disney parks in the future. What would you think about Frozen coming to a Disney park? What kind of attraction would you like to see?
Escapay
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Re: Frozen Attraction?

Post by Escapay »

In Magic Kingdom, they should re-theme Snow White's Scary Adventures to Frozen. Ride vehicles can be Kristoff's sleigh, and you'd pass through key scenes from teh movie. This helps keep a dark ride in Fantasyland (and a new one at that!), while still giving Snow White representation via the Seven Dwarfs Mine Train.

Oh, wait. They already gutted it all for the Princess Fairytale Hall. :(

Albert
WIST #60:
AwallaceUNC: Would you prefer Substi-Blu-tiary Locomotion? :p

WIST #61:
TheSequelOfDisney: Damn, did Lin-Manuel Miranda go and murder all your families?
carolinakid
Anniversary Edition

Post by carolinakid »

I wouldn't mind if they rethemed Maelstrom in Epcot's Norway Showcase to Frozen but the attraction would have to be greatly expanded (is there room behind the pavilion?) to do the film justice!
Linden
Special Edition

Post by Linden »

^As long as they haven't changed anything since I've been back there, there should be room. I do believe there was some rumours about Maelstrom being rethemed not too long ago. It makes a lot of sense, even if it takes the focus off Norway. Then again, we do have the Three Caballeros showing us around Mexico, so that might not be a problem for Disney.

I like the idea of a dark ride too, Escapay. It sounds like a nice way to escape the heat in the summer. But maybe just not in Snow White's Scary Adventures. :wink:

I think the re-theming of the Matterhorn would make so much sense. The Matterhorn's in Fantasyland already, and the addition of Frozen would make it fit in a little better. And it would be relatively easy too. Make the design reflect Elsa's castle, change the abominable snowman to Marshmallow, change the bobsled design to sleighs, add an Elsa somewhere, and put Kristoff and Anna somewhere near the unloading zone saying something enthusiastic about how they made it. It could work, but it would be so sad. I don't know what to think about that.
Atlantica
Signature Collection

Post by Atlantica »

May I just ask what exactly the Matterhorn is? Is it a dark ride or a coster?

Also, is it a good ride in itself ?
carolinakid
Anniversary Edition

Post by carolinakid »

The actual attraction is called Matterhorn Bobsleds and yes, it's a roller coaster with an alpine theme. The Abominable Snowman appears inside the mountain. The attraction opened in 1959 and is based on the Disney film Third Man On The Mountain. There are 2 separate tracks, the Fantasyland Track and the Tomorrowland Track. Most folks say the Tomorrowland track is faster while the Fantasyland track is slightly longer with sharper turns. I've ridden both tracks many times and while I know they're not identical I can't really tell a difference between the two.
Linden
Special Edition

Post by Linden »

^I can't really tell the difference either. The only thing I really notice is that if you have more/heavier people on your bobsled, you go faster. I didn't know all that about the history of the ride though. Very interesting, carolinakid. :up:

Atlantica, it's a good ride. It's a classic. It's built to look like the actual Matterhorn in Switzerland and the bobsled tracks go through and around the mountain. The bobsleds themselves mostly rely on gravity to gain speed, so they're sort of unique in the realm of Disney coasters. Sometimes I'd like it to have a little more thrill factor though.
Atlantica
Signature Collection

Post by Atlantica »

Ahhh ok, thank you for explaining!

I could certainly see that being morphed / re-themed into a Frozen ride. It would be a shame if its an original ride that would disappear though, much like Snow White. That's a complete travesty, to be removed for Fairy Tale Hall.
Angeldude98
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Angeldude98 »

It might be a good idea to re-theme the Matterhorn, though inevitably you will have your disneyphile purists crying "foul"! Hahaha!!!

Though I do love the Matterhorn ride, I've always felt it's kind of out of place in Fantasyland, because its theme is not about fantasay or Disney fims, but just an alpine theme with an encounter with a mythical snow man. I can definitely see that a Frozen theme would work for it.

As for building a new, separate attraction for it - is there room? I can't help but think of the "Little Mermaid" ride, that when it was finally built, it ended up over in DCA rather than at Disneyland's Fantasyland, which would have made more sense and a better fit than at Paradise Pier. I wouldn't want them to remove any existing attractions to put in a new one for Frozen. Maybe retheming the Matterhorn is the best option after all...!
AwallaceUNC
Signature Collection

Post by AwallaceUNC »

There's sufficient real estate to actually expand the Norway pavilion, add a new attraction, and keep Maelstrom in place. But I don't think that's a good idea and I seriously doubt it would happen. (It would require some backstage shuffling and would significantly alter the symmetry of World Showcase.)

If you ask me, there's a perfectly good Arendelle lot over at Magic Kingdom's Tomorrowland Speedway. :p

In the meantime, the Frozen meet-and-greet is moving from Epcot's Norway to Magic Kingdom's Princess Fairytale Hall in Fantasyland.
• Author of Hocus Pocus in Focus: The Thinking Fan's Guide to Disney's Halloween Classic
and The Thinking Fan's Guide to Walt Disney World: Magic Kingdom (Epcot coming soon)
• Host of Zip-A-Dee-Doo-Pod, the longest-running Disney podcast
• Entertainment Writer & Moderator at DVDizzy.com
• Twitter - @aaronspod
Atlantica
Signature Collection

Post by Atlantica »

Hmmm as they are being moved over, does that mean that are being crowned soon?
carolinakid
Anniversary Edition

Post by carolinakid »

My boyfriend and I were there in May 2013 when Merida was crowned. It's a neat ceremony. We met some terrific guys from Scotland who came over just for the coronation.
Atlantica
Signature Collection

Post by Atlantica »

The Merida one did look fabulous, and I absolutely loved Rapunzels being held at Kensington Palace, that was magical to see.
Linden
Special Edition

Post by Linden »

AwallaceUNC wrote:There's sufficient real estate to actually expand the Norway pavilion, add a new attraction, and keep Maelstrom in place. But I don't think that's a good idea and I seriously doubt it would happen. (It would require some backstage shuffling and would significantly alter the symmetry of World Showcase.)

If you ask me, there's a perfectly good Arendelle lot over at Magic Kingdom's Tomorrowland Speedway. :p

In the meantime, the Frozen meet-and-greet is moving from Epcot's Norway to Magic Kingdom's Princess Fairytale Hall in Fantasyland.
I agree! Tomorrowland Speedway is pretty lacklustre in all departments. It could be changed into almost anything, and I'd be pleased. Although, I really wouldn't mind if they just re-themed Maelstrom. I don't think it would require a very big expansion.
MeerkatKombat
Special Edition

Post by MeerkatKombat »

I still think that if it's popularity grows, we could see Elsa's ice palace in place of Sleeping Beauty/Cinderella castle in a future park.

A dark ride could be a great attraction or an ice ride themed roller coaster? Although a roller coaster would be a massive build.
Settling Soul mates? That is grim. And I've played Monopoly alone.
Atlantica
Signature Collection

Post by Atlantica »

MeerkatKombat wrote:I still think that if it's popularity grows, we could see Elsa's ice palace in place of Sleeping Beauty/Cinderella castle in a future park.
Wow, do you think so? I guess they've only strayed from the mould of Sleeping Beauty / Cinderella with Atlantica being the centre of Tokyo Disney Sea.
MeerkatKombat
Special Edition

Post by MeerkatKombat »

Atlantica wrote:
MeerkatKombat wrote:I still think that if it's popularity grows, we could see Elsa's ice palace in place of Sleeping Beauty/Cinderella castle in a future park.
Wow, do you think so? I guess they've only strayed from the mould of Sleeping Beauty / Cinderella with Atlantica being the centre of Tokyo Disney Sea.
I'm obviously not saying definitely, but it's their biggest film in a long time, not to mention the amount of cash it made, and I don't doubt they will want to milk it and keep it producing. What better than such a massive attraction. It would be a crowd puller.

I do think by doing such a thing they would be declaring it the new fairy tale of the next generations.
Settling Soul mates? That is grim. And I've played Monopoly alone.
AwallaceUNC
Signature Collection

Post by AwallaceUNC »

Linden wrote: I agree! Tomorrowland Speedway is pretty lacklustre in all departments. It could be changed into almost anything, and I'd be pleased. Although, I really wouldn't mind if they just re-themed Maelstrom. I don't think it would require a very big expansion.
Yeah, I should have clarified that I'd expect Fantasyland to annex the Speedway if that real estate were to be converted into Frozen territory.
• Author of Hocus Pocus in Focus: The Thinking Fan's Guide to Disney's Halloween Classic
and The Thinking Fan's Guide to Walt Disney World: Magic Kingdom (Epcot coming soon)
• Host of Zip-A-Dee-Doo-Pod, the longest-running Disney podcast
• Entertainment Writer & Moderator at DVDizzy.com
• Twitter - @aaronspod
Avaitor
Collector's Edition

Post by Avaitor »

I'm hearing that they're thinking of including some Frozen additions to the Maelstrom. Is there any truth to this, or is it just a rumor?
Atlantica
Signature Collection

Post by Atlantica »

MeerkatKombat wrote:I do think by doing such a thing they would be declaring it the new fairy tale of the next generations.
I didn't think of it like that, that's a pretty neat idea.