Oscar for Best Animated Feature 2014

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
Sotiris
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Oscar for Best Animated Feature 2014

Post by Sotiris »

Previously:

Oscar for Best Animated Feature 2010
Oscar for Best Animated Feature 2011
Oscar for Best Animated Feature 2012
Oscar for Best Animated Feature 2013

As per Academy rules, 8 to 12 eligible films are required for a field of three nominees, 13 to 15 for a field of four, and 16 or more for a field of five.

The submitted features for the 2014 Academy Awards are the following.

01. Big Hero 6
02. Cheatin'
03. Giovanni's Island
04. Henry & Me
05. How to Train Your Dragon 2
06. Jack and the Cuckoo-Clock Heart
07. Legends of Oz: Dorothy's Return
08. Mr. Peabody & Sherman
09. Penguins of Madagascar
10. Planes: Fire & Rescue
11. Rio 2
12. Rocks in My Pockets
13. Song of the Sea
14. The Book of Life
15. The Boxtrolls
16. The Hero of Color City
17. The Lego Movie
18. The Nut Job
19. The Pirate Fairy
20. The Tale of Princess Kaguya

Notes

Dragon Ball Z: Battle of Gods received a limited theatrical release in the U.S. starting on August 05, 2014 but not an Oscar-qualifying run.

Evangelion: 3.0 You Can (Not) Redo which received a limited theatrical release in the U.S. starting on January 10, 2014 is not eligible as it was released outside the U.S. in 2012.

Expelled from Paradise received a limited theatrical release in the U.S. starting on December 13, 2014 but not an Oscar-qualifying run.

Gladiators of Rome which received a limited theatrical release in the U.S. starting on November 11, 2014 is not eligible as it was released outside the U.S. in 2012.

K Missing Kings received a limited theatrical release in the U.S. starting on July 18, 2014 but not an Oscar-qualifying run.

Kochadaiiyaan: The Legend received a limited theatrical release in the U.S. starting on May 23, 2014 but not an Oscar-qualifying run.

Maya the Bee Movie which was released in Australia/New Zealand on November 01, 2014 has yet to secure U.S. distribution.

My Little Pony: Equestria Girls - Rainbow Rocks which received a limited theatrical release in the U.S. starting on September 27, 2014 was not submitted for consideration even though it received an Oscar-qualifying run.

Patema Inverted received a limited theatrical release in the U.S. starting on August 29, 2014 but not an Oscar-qualifying run.

Postman Pat: The Movie which received a limited theatrical release in the U.S. starting on June 27, 2014 was not submitted for consideration even though it received an Oscar-qualifying run.

Road to Ninja: Naruto the Movie which received a limited theatrical release in the U.S. starting on August 29, 2014 is not eligible as it was released outside the U.S. in 2012.

Short Peace received a limited theatrical release in the U.S. starting on April 18, 2014 but not an Oscar-qualifying run.

Slugterra: Return of the Elementals received a limited theatrical release in the U.S. starting on August 02, 2014 but not an Oscar-qualifying run.

Star Wars: Rebels - Spark of Rebellion received a limited theatrical release in the U.S. starting on July 24, 2014 but not an Oscar-qualifying run.

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles which was released in the U.S. on August 08, 2014 may not be eligible since it is a CG/live-action hybrid. It also employs performance capture and according to the Academy "motion capture by itself is not an animation technique."

The Boxcar Children received a limited theatrical release in the U.S. on August 16, 2014 but not an Oscar-qualifying run.

The Congress which received a limited theatrical release in the U.S. starting on on August 29, 2014 is not eligible as it was released online and on demand prior to its theatrical release. Additionally, only 70% of its running time contains animation which also renders it ineligible. Per Academy rules, animation must be featured in at least 75% of a film's running time to be considered eligible.

The Magic Snowflake secured U.S. distribution but it is unknown whether it will be released theatrically in 2014.

The Snow Queen: Magic of the Ice Mirror which was released in the UK on December 12, 2014 has yet to secure U.S. distribution.

Thunder and the House of Magic which received a limited theatrical release in the U.S. starting on September 05, 2014 was not submitted for consideration even though it received an Oscar-qualifying run.

Tiger & Bunny: The Movie - The Rising which received a limited theatrical release in the U.S. starting on March 14, 2014 was not submitted for consideration even though it received an Oscar-qualifying run.

War of the Worlds: Goliath which received a limited theatrical release in the U.S. starting on March 07, 2014 is not eligible as it was released outside the U.S. in 2012.

Yellowbird which received a limited theatrical release in the U.S. starting on December 05, 2014 was not submitted for consideration.

Yellow Day, a CG/live-action hybrid, received a limited theatrical release in the U.S. starting on September 16, 2014 but not an Oscar-qualifying run.
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
estefan
Platinum Edition

Re: Oscar for Best Animated Feature 2014

Post by estefan »

The LEGO Movie certainly seems like a likely contender. If How to Train Your Dragon 2 is even close to as well-received as its predecessor and if Big Hero 6 and Boxtrolls continue the high mark of quality of their respective studios, those have a strong shot, too. Mr Peabody & Sherman could also get in. The others will likely depend on their reviews. The Nut Job and The Pirate Fairy already have no shot. I've actually heard really good things about Foosball coming out of its South American release. If the Weinsteins don't muck up the dubbing, it could wind up being their first Animated Feature nominee.
"There are two wolves and they are always fighting. One is darkness and despair. The other is light and hope. Which wolf wins? Whichever one you feed." - Casey Newton, Tomorrowland
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

2014 is a strong year for domestic animated films so I doubt any foreign ones will get nominated. I'm hoping The Tale of Princess Kaguya will somehow make it, even if it's a long shot.

My prediction:

Big Hero 6
How to Train Your Dragon 2
The Book of Life
The Boxtrolls
The Lego Movie
Lady Cluck
Anniversary Edition

Post by Lady Cluck »

I'd rather see The Lego Movie win than a sequel to that overrated steaming pile of SHIT known as How to Train Your Dragon, but I still didn't love it as much as most people :(

I hope Big Hero 6 or The Boxtrolls do well and pull off a surprise win. Even without seeing them, nothing else on that list stands a chance as far as I'm concerned, though I am intrigued by Book of Life considering it involves Dia de Los Muertos.
LADY Image CLUCK
Linden
Special Edition

Post by Linden »

Song of the Sea should stand a chance as the token foreign film. It looks beautiful so far.
Disney's Divinity

Post by Disney's Divinity »

Lady Cluck wrote:I'd rather see The Lego Movie win than a sequel to that overrated steaming pile of SHIT known as How to Train Your Dragon
Am I the only one feeling deja vu here?

I'm guessing The Lego Movie will win, but if people are receptive to BH6, it could get the ball rolling for Disney in the same vein as Pixar winning for years after they stopped deserving it. Unless HTTYD2 is amazing, somehow I doubt it'll win, although I'm sure it'll be nominated.
Listening to most often lately:
Ariana Grande ~ "we can't be friends (wait for your love)"
Ariana Grande ~ "imperfect for you"
Kacey Musgraves ~ "The Architect"
unprincess
Collector's Edition

Post by unprincess »

so i was looking up some of the less familar movies here:
http://www.joblo.com/movie-news/ink-pix ... on-preview
and on Google. Some thoughts:

Song of the Sea- I have heard of this one for a while now, by the guys who made Secret of Kells(a movie that I still have waiting in my Netflix queue). All I know is... selkies! Im there!

The Box Trolls- I saw the trailer for this during Frozen & thought it was cute, but then i saw a still with a bunch of victorian dressed folk & am now looking more forward to it. Im just a sucker for that era & asthetic...

Home- sounds a lot like Lilo & Stitch... Sheldon as an alien.... Rhianna. yep, looks like typical Dreamworks.

Jack & the Cuckoo Clock Heart- see Boxtrolls, love the aesthetic/period. But wow do those human characters look CREEPY!!! Is this gonna be mo-cap?

Underdogs- um this is that weird one from Argentina with the little foosball players & some human guy who wants to join their team, :lol: could be lame or cute, very Pixarish concept...

Congress- OMG this looks amazing! and its 2d! wow see this is where the future of 2d might be headed. As more niche experimental/indie stuff.
MovieMan995
Limited Issue

Post by MovieMan995 »

My early predictions:

Big Hero 6
The Book of Life (I could see Princess of Kaguya or another foreign film replacing this)
The Boxtrolls
How To Train Your Dragon 2
The Lego Movie
"For ever laugh there should be a tear". -Walt Disney
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

MovieMan995 wrote:My early predictions
We have the same predictions! :D
unprincess
Collector's Edition

Post by unprincess »

love it! look at all the steampunky-ness! their heads still creep me out but its beautiful. Dude with the eyepatch is hot. :D
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v7VHN4hGlk4

this is amazing! ok so the 2d isnt Lion King but still, 2d! anyone else getting a Cool World vibe from it?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aOF1qYYHV48

and here's Song of the Sea:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y2aDh05nqMI
ce1ticmoon
Gold Classic Collection

Post by ce1ticmoon »

Assuming five nominees...

The LEGO Movie should be a shoo-in.

And unless any of the following domestic films bomb critically, I see them all getting nominations pretty easily:

How to Train Your Dragon 2
Boxtrolls
Big Hero 6

As for The Book of Life, it seems promising in many ways, but I see it as a big question mark at this point. If it is a strong film, I can see this taking the fifth slot, effectively shutting out any foreign films.

Possible foreign contenders:

The Tale of Princess Kaguya - Ghibli, legendary director in Japanese animation, excellent critical reception
Foosball - a big hit in Latin America, famous director, Weinstein is giving it a fairly wide release
Song of the Sea - director had previous nomination with Secret of Kells

Jack and the Cuckoo-Clock Heart looks amazing as well, but I don't see it having a chance.
disneyprincess11
Diamond Edition

Post by disneyprincess11 »

Yeah, I think MovieMan995 is going to be correct with the winner being Boxtrolls
unprincess
Collector's Edition

Post by unprincess »

is there any footage out for Book of Life yet?

do the new academy rules of opening the voting in the animation category to everyone include the voting for nominations as well? I hope not b/c that means it will be highly unlikely that anything 2d or foreign will ever get nominated. :(
DisneyJedi
Platinum Edition

Post by DisneyJedi »

Lady Cluck wrote:I'd rather see The Lego Movie win than a sequel to that overrated steaming pile of SHIT known as How to Train Your Dragon...
Oh, come on. How dare you? :(
estefan
Platinum Edition

Post by estefan »

unprincess wrote:do the new academy rules of opening the voting in the animation category to everyone include the voting for nominations as well? I hope not b/c that means it will be highly unlikely that anything 2d or foreign will ever get nominated. :(
Nope, it's just for the winners. I don't think they will ever open up the nominating to everybody in the Academy as that pretty much defeats the purpose of having individual branches.
"There are two wolves and they are always fighting. One is darkness and despair. The other is light and hope. Which wolf wins? Whichever one you feed." - Casey Newton, Tomorrowland
TsWade2
Anniversary Edition

Post by TsWade2 »

unprincess wrote:
and here's Song of the Sea:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y2aDh05nqMI
Awesome! I saw The Secret of Kells on Itunes and it was awesome! I can't to see this with or without an oscar nomination.
thelittleursula
Anniversary Edition

Post by thelittleursula »

Lady Cluck wrote:I'd rather see The Lego Movie win than a sequel to that overrated steaming pile of SHIT known as How to Train Your Dragon, but I still didn't love it as much as most people :(

I would agree with you, though at the same time I feel like you're not being genuine here and just trolling.
Lady Cluck wrote: I hope Big Hero 6 or The Boxtrolls do well and pull off a surprise win.
Same here.

Plus The Boxtrolls is looking really adorable <3
ce1ticmoon
Gold Classic Collection

Post by ce1ticmoon »

I'm a big fan of How to Train Your Dragon, but I agree that it is a tad overrated. It's definitely a story that has been done to death. Yet, it is a very well-crafted film that is touching and heart-warming, with a very well-developed relationship between the two main characters at the heart of the film. And the soundtrack is exhilarating.

I'm really excited for the sequel. The visuals are a vast improvement over the first (which didn't look nearly as good as Toy Story 3, Tangled, or even DreamWorks' own Shrek Forever After from the same year). I'm also quite intrigued by the fact that they're pushing the story forward by five years, allowing the main characters to age (and hopefully mature). The trailers so far have got me sold, and early reactions seem great.

I really think this year is showing lots of promise--on the domestic front, Dragon 2, Boxtrolls, Big Hero 6, The Book of Life are all on my watchlist as of now. And while DreamWorks' Home repulsed me with those character designs, the short film that was released last month has me intrigued.

On the international side, while most of these were released last year in their countries of origin, Princess Kaguya, Foosball, Song of the Sea, and Jack and the Cuckoo-Clock Heart are also very high on my list. Ghibli also has When Marnie Was There coming in Japan this year.
Lady Cluck
Anniversary Edition

Post by Lady Cluck »

ce1ticmoon wrote:I'm a big fan of How to Train Your Dragon, but I agree that it is a tad overrated. It's definitely a story that has been done to death. Yet, it is a very well-crafted film that is touching and heart-warming, with a very well-developed relationship between the two main characters at the heart of the film. And the soundtrack is exhilarating.
I couldn't agree more!
LADY Image CLUCK
ce1ticmoon
Gold Classic Collection

Post by ce1ticmoon »

Lady Cluck wrote:
ce1ticmoon wrote:I'm a big fan of How to Train Your Dragon, but I agree that it is a tad overrated. It's definitely a story that has been done to death. Yet, it is a very well-crafted film that is touching and heart-warming, with a very well-developed relationship between the two main characters at the heart of the film. And the soundtrack is exhilarating.
I couldn't agree more!
Yay!