Mickey Mouse in "Get a Horse!"

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
HarryCanyon
Gold Classic Collection

Re: Mickey Mouse in "Get a Horse!"

Post by HarryCanyon »

Damn it didn't win? what the hell kind of world is this?
TsWade2
Anniversary Edition

Post by TsWade2 »

DisneyEra wrote:
Big Disney Fan wrote: Well, most sources, including studio records, officially consider it a Pluto cartoon, not a Mickey cartoon, and place it under Pluto's complete filmography (if Dave Smith's book Disney A To Z is any indication). That was probably one reason why, when they did the Treasures sets, they released this cartoon on "The Complete Pluto", not "Mickey Mouse In Living Color".

Along the same lines, all those shorts with Donald and Goofy in them (i.e., "Polar Trappers", "Crazy With the Heat") are actually considered Donald shorts and placed under Donald's filmography, not both Donald and Goofy's.
If that's the case, then Mickey Mouse has not won an Oscar as the lead character.
Um...Mickey Mouse got a special academy award in 1932.
Big Disney Fan
Platinum Edition

Post by Big Disney Fan »

thelittleursula wrote:This may sound strange, but I'm glad that this movie lost. While it is a excellent cartoon short, it does have a strong anti- 2D animation feel to it, that 2D animation is yesterday, old news, the past. It feels very subtle, but it's there.

So hopefully it gives Disney the nudge that you don't have to treat 2D like yesterday's newspaper.
Why do you think there's an anti-2D message? I thought the way they merged things there was rather clever.
TsWade2 wrote:Um...Mickey Mouse got a special academy award in 1932.
Yes, but the point was that was Mickey's only Oscar win. There was not an award given to a regular Mickey cartoon.
thedisneyspirit
Anniversary Edition

Post by thedisneyspirit »

Honestly I just wanted it to win for Mickey's sake. 2013 has been his year, so to say, that he's left the preschool prison and he's back with the hardcore Disney fans and the mainstream audience, remembering everyone that he is an awesome character.

If the 2D message was in Paperman I honestly wouldn't have cared if it won or not. :D
Disney's Divinity
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Post by Disney's Divinity »

I was rooting for it, but--since I don't really see most of the shorts that are nominated each year--as I was watching, I thought the one that did win looked interesting, so I wasn't too surprised. I'm sure if these shorts become a trend, they might eventually win an award. Of course, this year could've been it's best chance since it was a shock to see a short of these characters after so long, but who knows.
Listening to most often lately:
Ariana Grande ~ "we can't be friends (wait for your love)"
Ariana Grande ~ "imperfect for you"
Kacey Musgraves ~ "The Architect"
TsWade2
Anniversary Edition

Post by TsWade2 »

Big Disney Fan wrote:
Yes, but the point was that was Mickey's only Oscar win. There was not an award given to a regular Mickey cartoon.
Ugh! The Oscar voters really hates Mickey Mouse! I feel like not going to watch the Oscars anymore, because they're being cruel to Mickey Mouse for rejection. :glare:
Avaitor
Collector's Edition

Post by Avaitor »

The Academy gave 12 awards for Best Animated Short to Disney, not counting 3 for Pixar. Does it really matter that a Mickey cartoon wasn't one of them?
TsWade2
Anniversary Edition

Post by TsWade2 »

Avaitor wrote:The Academy gave 12 awards for Best Animated Short to Disney, not counting 3 for Pixar. Does it really matter that a Mickey cartoon wasn't one of them?
But why can't they just give a Mickey Mouse short an Oscar? It's just not fair!
Semaj
Anniversary Edition

Post by Semaj »

Big Disney Fan wrote:Yes, but the point was that was Mickey's only Oscar win. There was not an award given to a regular Mickey cartoon.
It was Walt Disney's first Honorary Oscar win, for the creation of Mickey Mouse.

A win for the character himself is every bit as significant as a character winning in an actual cartoon.
"OH COME ON, REALLY?!?!"
TsWade2
Anniversary Edition

Post by TsWade2 »

Semaj wrote:
Big Disney Fan wrote:Yes, but the point was that was Mickey's only Oscar win. There was not an award given to a regular Mickey cartoon.
It was Walt Disney's first Honorary Oscar win, for the creation of Mickey Mouse.

A win for the character himself is every bit as significant as a character winning in an actual cartoon.
Thank you. :) At least the Annie Awards has more respect to Mickey Mouse than that Anti-Mickey Mouse Academy Awards. It's back to the Tony's I go. :shifty:
Last edited by TsWade2 on Wed Mar 05, 2014 10:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Walter
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Walter »

Looking at that poster for "Lend a Paw", it's funny how the poster has Figaro on it, even though it was a completely different cat in the short itself.

Bummer that "Get a Horse" did not win. But can't say if the winner deserved it or not, since I have not seen it.
Avaitor
Collector's Edition

Post by Avaitor »

TsWade2 wrote:
Avaitor wrote:The Academy gave 12 awards for Best Animated Short to Disney, not counting 3 for Pixar. Does it really matter that a Mickey cartoon wasn't one of them?
But why can't they just give a Mickey Mouse short an Oscar? It's just not fair!
Daffy Duck never got one either, but oh well, whatever.
TsWade2
Anniversary Edition

Post by TsWade2 »

Avaitor wrote:
TsWade2 wrote: But why can't they just give a Mickey Mouse short an Oscar? It's just not fair!
Daffy Duck never got one either, but oh well, whatever.
LOL! Good point! :lol: But Mickey Mouse got an Oscar anyway. Not for a short, but for creation of him
pap64
Platinum Edition

Post by pap64 »

Personally, I am not surprised that "Get a horse" lost. It was a great short, but let's face it; it was a gimmicky short. It was a perfectly pulled off gimmick, but a gimmick nonetheless. It's a stark contrast from Paperman, which not only had a captivating visual style, it also a sweet story alongside it. It was a short that got EVERYONE talking, it presented us with potential for the future, it had great music and overall it was just a wonderful, unforgettable short.

Again, not saying that "Get a horse" was weak, it was a fun short. But simply didn't have that emotional tone that propelled Paperman into Oscar gold.
ImageImageImageImage

estefan
Platinum Edition

Post by estefan »

Plus, it's worth mentioning that if the Academy really did hate Mickey Mouse, the short would not have been nominated in the first place. The way the voting system works is a movie has to receive a certain amount of #1 votes in order to get a nomination. Obviously, a lot of voters loved it for it to have gotten nominated.

Mickey Mouse's Oscar run is certainly a lot better than Daffy Duck. Despite being one of the best cartoon characters ever and appearing in some of the greatest cartoons of all-time (Duck Amuck, Duck Dodgers in the 24 1/2 Century, The Hunting Trilogy), none of his shorts were ever nominated. There was even a Tiny Toon Adventures episode in which Daffy is frequently annoyed by Bugs Bunny having an Oscar and not him and he gets subsequently framed for stealing it.
"There are two wolves and they are always fighting. One is darkness and despair. The other is light and hope. Which wolf wins? Whichever one you feed." - Casey Newton, Tomorrowland
DisneyEra
Anniversary Edition

Post by DisneyEra »

Donald Duck's only Oscar win
TsWade2
Anniversary Edition

Post by TsWade2 »

estefan wrote:Plus, it's worth mentioning that if the Academy really did hate Mickey Mouse, the short would not have been nominated in the first place. The way the voting system works is a movie has to receive a certain amount of #1 votes in order to get a nomination. Obviously, a lot of voters loved it for it to have gotten nominated.

Mickey Mouse's Oscar run is certainly a lot better than Daffy Duck. Despite being one of the best cartoon characters ever and appearing in some of the greatest cartoons of all-time (Duck Amuck, Duck Dodgers in the 24 1/2 Century, The Hunting Trilogy), none of his shorts were ever nominated. There was even a Tiny Toon Adventures episode in which Daffy is frequently annoyed by Bugs Bunny having an Oscar and not him and he gets subsequently framed for stealing it.
I remember that! :lol:
Avaitor
Collector's Edition

Post by Avaitor »

Y'no, I loved "Get a Horse!" but I'm perfectly fine with it not winning the Oscar. Why? This means enough people saw "Mr. Hublot", and maybe even all of the other eligible shorts, to decide it was the best instead of just going for the easy vote. This is especially awesome when you remember that the rules state that it's not even necessary to have seen all of the eligible shorts to vote anymore, yet the one with by far the widest available audience didn't win.

Imagine if instead of "Paperman" winning last year, the majority of voters went for "The Longest Daycare" without seeing most or any of the shorts, just because they recognize Maggie Simpson. it's a good thing for Disney that this scenario didn't happen, and it's a good thing for the industry that there seems to be enough interest in trying out new animated stories before deciding on a vote.
ajmrowland
Signature Collection

Post by ajmrowland »

thelittleursula wrote:
TsWade2 wrote: That's not true.

- Pete's car horn says " make way for the future "

- The cartoon short then breaks into 3D, with Horace holding a cellphone etc

- The 2D is completely destroyed, being overtaken by the 3D

Not hating on the short, it was awesome, but it feels very subliminal towards anti- 2D

ENJOYTHISCARTOON2DSUCKSMAKEWAYFORTHEFUTUREMICKEYMOUSEISBACK
And in the end, he is defeated, the 2d fixed, and they tell him to get a horse.
TsWade2
Anniversary Edition

Post by TsWade2 »

ajmrowland wrote:
thelittleursula wrote:
- Pete's car horn says " make way for the future "

- The cartoon short then breaks into 3D, with Horace holding a cellphone etc

- The 2D is completely destroyed, being overtaken by the 3D

Not hating on the short, it was awesome, but it feels very subliminal towards anti- 2D

ENJOYTHISCARTOON2DSUCKSMAKEWAYFORTHEFUTUREMICKEYMOUSEISBACK
And in the end, he is defeated, the 2d fixed, and they tell him to get a horse.
Exactly. :)