Mickey Mouse in "Get a Horse!"

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
TsWade2
Anniversary Edition

Re: Mickey Mouse in "Get a Horse!"

Post by TsWade2 »

ajmrowland wrote:
TsWade2 wrote: Really?
Yeah and that was decades ago for either. The 40s even. The academy aren't anti mickey/Maggie/bugs as much as giving recognition to those who have none
Okay. I feel better now. Sorry about my behavior. But I still think Get A Horse is a better short.
ajmrowland
Signature Collection

Post by ajmrowland »

Passion often gets to even the best if us. Don't worry about it :)
Semaj
Anniversary Edition

Post by Semaj »

I'm a little disappointed Mickey lost, because he just came off one of his strongest years in, well...YEARS! It would've been cool for this 85-year old character to have both Emmy AND Oscar wins as an answer to how he's connecting with modern audiences.
"OH COME ON, REALLY?!?!"
Big Disney Fan
Platinum Edition

Post by Big Disney Fan »

DisneyEra wrote:Mickey has an Oscar for "Lend A Paw". Even Bugs Bunny has only won 1 Oscar.
Actually, "Lend a Paw" is considered a Pluto cartoon. However, according to some sources, such as 1968's "The Mickey Mouse Anniversary Show", Mickey did receive an honorary Oscar in 1932.
DisneyEra
Anniversary Edition

Post by DisneyEra »

Big Disney Fan wrote:
DisneyEra wrote:Mickey has an Oscar for "Lend A Paw". Even Bugs Bunny has only won 1 Oscar.
Actually, "Lend a Paw" is considered a Pluto cartoon. However, according to some sources, such as 1968's "The Mickey Mouse Anniversary Show", Mickey did receive an honorary Oscar in 1932.
Here's the short. It has Mickey's face logo & his name. Pluto may be the main character of this short, but it's still a Mickey Mouse short.
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=voWGvNVtrZk[/youtube]
thelittleursula
Anniversary Edition

Post by thelittleursula »

This may sound strange, but I'm glad that this movie lost. While it is a excellent cartoon short, it does have a strong anti- 2D animation feel to it, that 2D animation is yesterday, old news, the past. It feels very subtle, but it's there.

So hopefully it gives Disney the nudge that you don't have to treat 2D like yesterday's newspaper.
Lnds500
Anniversary Edition

Post by Lnds500 »

I haven't seen the rest, but I can't say I'm surprised it lost. It was forgettable and its only real advantage was the interesting use of 3D. Animation references don't make a good film.
estefan
Platinum Edition

Post by estefan »

thelittleursula wrote:This may sound strange, but I'm glad that this movie lost. While it is a excellent cartoon short, it does have a strong anti- 2D animation feel to it, that 2D animation is yesterday, old news, the past. It feels very subtle, but it's there.

So hopefully it gives Disney the nudge that you don't have to treat 2D like yesterday's newspaper.
I didn't get that vibe at all. I felt it was a celebration of both computer and hand-drawn animation, showing that both mediums can happily co-exist together rather than one monopolising the other.

I actually see this loss as a good thing, despite how much I liked Get a Horse. Ever since they opened Best Short up to the entire membership, I thought they'd just blindly vote for the most popular pick, but this shows that only those who bother to watch all of the shorts will vote in that category. So we won't see a repeat of Tom & Jerry winning almost every single year.
"There are two wolves and they are always fighting. One is darkness and despair. The other is light and hope. Which wolf wins? Whichever one you feed." - Casey Newton, Tomorrowland
Atlantica
Signature Collection

Post by Atlantica »

I am sad this didn't win, as I genuinely loved it, as did everyone in the cinema when I saw Frozen each time. I can't justify my liking it as I haven't seen the other shorts, but I enjoyed seeing Mickey in the cinema again.
TsWade2
Anniversary Edition

Post by TsWade2 »

thelittleursula wrote:This may sound strange, but I'm glad that this movie lost. While it is a excellent cartoon short, it does have a strong anti- 2D animation feel to it, that 2D animation is yesterday, old news, the past. It feels very subtle, but it's there.

What?! HIIIIIIIIIYA! :glare:
However, according to some sources, such as 1968's "The Mickey Mouse Anniversary Show", Mickey did receive an honorary Oscar in 1932.
Really? Even better. :)
thedisneyspirit
Anniversary Edition

Post by thedisneyspirit »

IT SHOULD HAVE WON.

However I agree with littleursula in that it has this nasty anti-2d message throughout it. :D
MovieMan995
Limited Issue

Post by MovieMan995 »

Mr. Hublot winning for Best Animated Short was quite a surprise. I think everyone was getting drawn towards Possessions for its visual flair and Get A Horse! for bringing the old school Mickey back and having a whole lot of inventive fun with that. I'm not let down though, seeing an underdog make it is fun. I'm quite interesting in seeing Mr. Hublot for myself.
"For ever laugh there should be a tear". -Walt Disney
Big Disney Fan
Platinum Edition

Post by Big Disney Fan »

DisneyEra wrote:Here's the short. It has Mickey's face logo & his name. Pluto may be the main character of this short, but it's still a Mickey Mouse short.
Well, most sources, including studio records, officially consider it a Pluto cartoon, not a Mickey cartoon, and place it under Pluto's complete filmography (if Dave Smith's book Disney A To Z is any indication). That was probably one reason why, when they did the Treasures sets, they released this cartoon on "The Complete Pluto", not "Mickey Mouse In Living Color".

Along the same lines, all those shorts with Donald and Goofy in them (i.e., "Polar Trappers", "Crazy With the Heat") are actually considered Donald shorts and placed under Donald's filmography, not both Donald and Goofy's.
TsWade2
Anniversary Edition

Post by TsWade2 »

thedisneyspirit wrote:IT SHOULD HAVE WON.

However I agree with littleursula in that it has this nasty anti-2d message throughout it. :D
That's not true.
Well, most sources, including studio records, officially consider it a Pluto cartoon, not a Mickey cartoon, and place it under Pluto's complete filmography (if Dave Smith's book Disney A To Z is any indication). That was probably one reason why, when they did the Treasures sets, they released this cartoon on "The Complete Pluto", not "Mickey Mouse In Living Color".

Along the same lines, all those shorts with Donald and Goofy in them (i.e., "Polar Trappers", "Crazy With the Heat") are actually considered Donald shorts and placed under Donald's filmography, not both Donald and Goofy's.
Who cares what they say! It's still a Mickey Mouse Cartoon.
Musical Master
Anniversary Edition

Post by Musical Master »

From what I can get, at least it was nominated, it would've infuriated me if it was ignored which it wasn't. But I'm glad that atleast an animated short from France got it though, from what I have looked up, it was a critically praised short when it premiered.
Disney, Pixar, Rodgers and Hammerstein, and Cinema fan
TsWade2
Anniversary Edition

Post by TsWade2 »

Beg my pardon.
Last edited by TsWade2 on Mon Mar 03, 2014 7:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kyle
Platinum Edition

Post by Kyle »

TsWade2
Anniversary Edition

Post by TsWade2 »

Kyle wrote:Image
Not funny! :glare:
thelittleursula
Anniversary Edition

Post by thelittleursula »

TsWade2 wrote: That's not true.

- Pete's car horn says " make way for the future "

- The cartoon short then breaks into 3D, with Horace holding a cellphone etc

- The 2D is completely destroyed, being overtaken by the 3D

Not hating on the short, it was awesome, but it feels very subliminal towards anti- 2D

ENJOYTHISCARTOON2DSUCKSMAKEWAYFORTHEFUTUREMICKEYMOUSEISBACK
DisneyEra
Anniversary Edition

Post by DisneyEra »

Big Disney Fan wrote:
DisneyEra wrote:Here's the short. It has Mickey's face logo & his name. Pluto may be the main character of this short, but it's still a Mickey Mouse short.

If that's the case, then Mickey Mouse has not won an Oscar as the lead character.